U23s - Contract Review

by   |   09/05/2017  19 Comments  [Jump to last]

I was looking, like thousands of other Evertonians, at the pictures of our incredible U23s lifting the Premier League Trophy and it got me thinking. What will become of this golden generation?

I decided to look over the contract situation for each of the young lads involved and was really impressed with how well the club has handled their contract situations collectively.

We all know about Tom Davies's and Dominic Calvert-Lewin's new contracts, but quietly the club has got several of the promising youngsters to sign contract extensions within the last 12 months or so.

Kieran Dowell signed last summer for a further 3 years to 2019, while Matthew Pennington, Jonjoe Kenny, Harry Charsley and Joe Williams also have signed extensions since.

Williams is contracted now until 2020, while the others mentioned are here till 2019, which is also the cut-off point for Bassala Sambou, Callum Connolly, Liam Walsh and Matty Foulds.

The much improved Beni Baningime has 1 year left to run, as does Morgan Feeney – and you would imagine that their contracts would be extended within the next 6 months or so.

David Henen is, perhaps, the only player whose 2018 contract will be allowed to expire.

This summer, the contracts run down on both goalkeepers, Mateus Hewelt, and Louis Gray and on Calum Dyson, who was voted Young Player of the Year on loan at Grimsby Town in League Two and may be itching to move on for first-team football at a lower level.

Also, Gethin Jones and Anthony Evans are still without a new contract for next season, but all-in-all I think we, as fans, should take our hats off to the club for keeping an eye on the contracts of this incredible crop of youngsters. We really are putting ourselves in a position to take advantage.

They probably won't all make it in the Premier League, but it is encouraging to know that those that do will be given the opportunity to do so at Everton.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (19)

Gary Edwards
1 Posted 09/05/2017 at 16:41:31
Nice article Alasdair, I'm interested to know where you found your info as I'd like to know if we've got Antonee Robinson signed up long term.

I've always been impressed by Gethin Jones when I've watched him, no-nonsense, thick set defender with a bit of pace. Hadn't heard much about him after going on loan to Barnsley, had a look and here is what one of their 'pundits' said about him:

"Tactically inept, I know he is a young lad but doesn't know when to go forward or defend. Would like to see a academy lad in that position, surely there is one."

Oh dear.

Same wag rates Matty James (loan from Leicester), Ryan Kent (loan from the dark side) & Andy Yiadom.

Selby Wells
2 Posted 09/05/2017 at 18:35:48
It's always difficult to judge whether a player will make it with us or not. I remember the academy team that won the league 6 years ago had a number of prospects (Bidwell, Dier, Browning, Garbutt, McAleny) but only Dier & Barkley have made it at the top level.

Let's hope that a few of the current batch follow Davies lead and nail down places in the first team squad next season. The good thing is that the club are giving them the contracts for the opportunity to succeed rather than look at the immediate bottom line. (Remember – Osman took his time to come through.)

Tony Hill
3 Posted 09/05/2017 at 19:53:23
Let's not lose Baningime.
Dave Abrahams
4 Posted 09/05/2017 at 21:46:32
Alasdair, did you check on goalkeeper Russell Griffiths, he is on loam at Motherwell, don't know if he has been getting a game up there, but I think he's contract runs out this summer.

He looked a great prospect two or three years ago but hasn't been really used by Everton the last 18 months. He has been out on loan at minor non-league clubs and then Motherwell but his future doesn't look very bright, that is, when it comes to Everton.

Jay Wood
6 Posted 09/05/2017 at 22:28:11
Actually Dave, I rather liked you typo "he is on loam at Motherwell..."

I hope he is pretty useful on grass as well!

Did you get to see the boys last night? How many do they reckon showed up?

Phillip Warrington
7 Posted 09/05/2017 at 22:28:26
Does anybody know how the striker from South America is going and is he still contracted?

And the lad from Switzerland – I believe he was loaned out to a German club.
Kieran Kinsella
8 Posted 09/05/2017 at 22:40:01
I read Browning is out of contract this summer.
Nicholas Ryan
10 Posted 09/05/2017 at 23:34:00
On the question of who will make it and who will not; some years ago, my cricket club hired a young Aussie, and then, a young South African. I rated the Aussie, but was lukewarm about the Saffer.

The Australian lad never got anywhere near international cricket, and simply faded away; the South African was Faf du Plessis, who has so far played 40 Test matches, and is still going strong!

Lee Preston
12 Posted 10/05/2017 at 10:18:00
Kieran, Browning signed a 2-year extension before joining Preston NE on loan.
Alasdair Mackay
13 Posted 10/05/2017 at 11:33:05
Both Griffith and Robinson have deals that expire this summer.

Browning signed a new contract in January till 2019.

Barry Pearce
14 Posted 10/05/2017 at 14:43:13
I wouldn't want to lose Robinson or Baningime; both look good prospects.
Kieran Kinsella
15 Posted 10/05/2017 at 20:20:30
Lee sorry I meant Robinson the LB
Dave Abrahams
16 Posted 11/05/2017 at 08:44:41
Jay (#6),

Yes I should take more time and check what I am posting.

I went to the game, disappointing result, they had chances to win, but that's football and Derby matches!!!!

Most fans who went picked the same players who seemed to stand out with Beni Banginime, who I know you like, having a very good game along with the captain Jonjoe Kenny and Joe Williams. Sambou tried hard and missed a couple of chances but looked like a player likely to improve.

The night finished with the presentation and I think most of the reported 17,000 went home happy, especially the red fans who were spread around the ground.

Phil Walling
17 Posted 14/05/2017 at 09:54:18
Going on past history with the likes of these 'fantastic' graduates of the club's academy, it's highly likely that the Premier League 2 success will be the highlight of their careers

Not that long ago, Luke Garbutt was seen as the natural successor to Leighton Baines... and then it was Browning... then Galloway who would solve our defensive problems for the next 10 years. Sent out on loan – football's version of the litter bin – they sank without trace and will, no doubt, never be seen here again.

On the other hand, Tom Davies has been a success and is already far less dispensable than the older Barkley, so not quite all is lost. The best since Rooney, some say. We shall see.

Dave Abrahams
18 Posted 14/05/2017 at 13:31:48
Phil (#17) the three players you mention are still here, not sure if they will make it but if two of them are sold both will go for a decent fee.

I haven't given up on Galloway, who has had a season wasted by going to WBA on loan and hardly playing. Browning had a bad injury and was at Preston NE on loan to the end of the season.

Phil, are you doing okay in Cyprus? All that sun is making you very grumpy, or are you just naturally that way?

David Milner
19 Posted 17/05/2017 at 20:10:45
The ones I have as being out of contract this summer are:-

Sam Byrne (had a long term injury)
Courtney Dufus (had a long term injury)
Antonee Robinson
Callum Dyson
Gethin Jones
Josef Yarney
Anthony Evans
Conor McAleny
Loius Gray
Tyrone Dufus (out of contract but have not heard further)
Shani Tarashaj (has a contract until 2020)
Leandro Rodriguez (has a contract until 2019)

Tarashaj has been in & out of the side at Eintracht Frankfurt
Rodriguez has not even had a minute on the pitch where he is on loan

John Graham
20 Posted 25/05/2017 at 19:52:27
Great article, there should be lots more information like this.

Even when they leave the club I like to see how they progress.

Hopefully we will see a few make the first team squads next season.

Barry Pearce
21 Posted 26/05/2017 at 09:49:28
Up to now, I don't believe Robinson has been offered a new deal. Hopefully he will; I rate this lad... very quick, likes to get forward, and good defensively when I've seen him play.
Dan Humphrey
22 Posted 26/05/2017 at 13:33:22
So far, Dyson, C Duffus and Jones have got a year extension, Hewelt 2 years and Broadhead 3 years.

Any others?