Footy kits

by   |   09/07/2017  16 Comments  [Jump to last]

Dear Everton

Will you please play in Royal Blue? This is our colour, not dark blue or light blue just royal blue and white.

Recent away kits such as Banana yellow, Grey, Black, why all these charges, why can we not have the Amber and royal Blue back a winning kit.

Too much change and too much profiteering. Can we just keep our traditional Royal Blue and white for home, and Amber and Royal Blue for away?

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (16)

Peter Laing
1 Posted 11/07/2017 at 10:12:54
Totally agree with your comments, John. The kit deal with Umbro has been a disaster, we have had one decent kit so far in my opinion (last season's home) and the rest have been abysmal.

One of the selling points of partnering with Umbro was that we were supposed to be getting treated to Umbro's strategy for focusing on heritage. To date we have had half hearted attempts at trying to blend the old with the new – round collars, yellow and white away kits, a nod to silver with this year's away shorts. If you want to see this working correctly take a look at Southampton's new home kit designed by Under Armour – retro but up-to-date version of their mid 80s kit.

We are evidently behind the top six clubs in the Premier League in terms of merchandise partners. Chelsea (switch from Adidas to Nike) Spurs (switch from Under Armour to Nike) Man United (Adidas), Man City (Nike), Arsenal (Puma) and Liverpool (New Balance) – the latter two more to do with lucrative endorsements.

In terms of our colours – Royal Blue Shirt, white shorts, white socks. Change – White shirts, black shorts, black socks. Third kit should be amber or salmon pink to reflect the Club's heritage.

Simon Smith
2 Posted 12/07/2017 at 19:12:57
I've not bought a kit for years now and when I did it was only to get them signed so I might frame and hang them, but those days are long gone, married and they don't match the colour scheme!!

I'd personally agree about the colours but would like to add do we need 3 new kits every year?

Why can we not stop fleecing the fans and only have a new kit every other year? 1st year home kit; 2nd year away kit 3rd year home kit and so on.

As fans, do we really need 3 new kits every year?

Dan Davies
3 Posted 13/07/2017 at 00:28:54
Yep, totally agree. The club need to smarten up on this issue. Welcome Under Armour. Spurs were Under Armour now Nike, so there is an opening for them at Everton FC. Make it happen.

Umbro are amateur at best. The shirt designs are shite let's be honest.

Phillip Warrington
4 Posted 13/07/2017 at 02:14:25
I would have loved to have seen this new kit in royal blue with white diamonds on the sleeves. From the stands, you won't even be able to notice the diamonds going down the arms or shorts when they're playing, all you will see is tacky dark navy blue tops. If you didn't know it was Everton playing, the first thing you would think would be which team is that?

Same with the away strip – why couldn't it be yellow tops with blue diamonds running down sleeves and blue shorts with the yellow diamonds and not some kacky strip that looks like a new start-up team and not a traditional team like Everton.

We don't need glitz – we have the Everton name and tradition.

Simon Smith
5 Posted 13/07/2017 at 22:08:31
I've said it before, I'll will say it again: they should let the fans design the kit... make 3 or 4 mock-ups and then put it to the vote!
Dermot Byrne
6 Posted 13/07/2017 at 22:25:26
No, no, Simon.

It would be popular in E4 and fuck all elsewhere.

Street local cred. And zilch sales.

Steve Cotton
7 Posted 14/07/2017 at 14:20:39
Bring back the green kit, I say…

Did we lose in it???

Sean McCarthy
8 Posted 15/07/2017 at 01:09:29
This season's two new kits are the worst I can recall in a long time!! The home shirt looks like a training top and the away kit is just a mess!!!

Pull your finger out, Umbro!!!

Paul Smith
9 Posted 15/07/2017 at 07:01:19
They are truly classless efforts by Umbro. Top teams have top kits. I wouldn't wear one.

Truly awful.

Gerry Killen
10 Posted 15/07/2017 at 07:04:54
I have always said that our Chang kit was the best in the country, it was unique in having a national emblem of a Country on it; I didn't like the product though. We still have ties with the country in sponsoring a school etc; surely a deal could have been struck to have even a smaller version on our shirts?

Take a look at any photos of Lukaku in our shirt and people knew instantly it was Everton – not like this wishy-washy Man City / Coventry City colours rubbish they are wearing now.

COYB

Darryl Ritchie
11 Posted 15/07/2017 at 07:11:25
I like the home kit, but the away kit looks like grade school Phys-Ed strip. The only thing missing is white tube socks and Converse running shoes.
Jay Woods
12 Posted 15/07/2017 at 07:12:47
Umbro simply must be ditched. We have arguably the worst kits in the league for the coming season, bar possibly that mess that Huddersfield will be donning. Why couldn't we get Adidas for once?
John Keating
13 Posted 15/07/2017 at 07:30:59
The Club can't win when it comes to kits. Look at the 11 posts so far. All different suggestions and some, in my opinion, horrendous!

Maybe I'm old fashioned but just go back to the mid 60s and copy the basic home and away strips, Royal blue and white, Amber and black dark blue.

John Hammond
14 Posted 17/07/2017 at 16:35:28
Dan Davies (#3): Under Armour make some of the worst kits out there. Go and have a look on a site like Football Shirt Culture and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I think Umbro have been pretty good up until this season's effort which looks like a training top. A shit training top!

Martin Reppion
15 Posted 21/07/2017 at 14:35:48
We are all intelligent enough to know that all the changing kits are designed to fleece the gullible supporter of his money.

I, like most Evertonians, want to see my team in blue shirts and white shorts, and only see a change kit when there is a clash of colour.

We wouldn't dream of playing across the park in the derby in anything other than blue and white. So why do we use a change strip for visits to Bournemouth or Arsenal?

As an ex rugby player and referee, I was used to teams being told to change their published kit only if the referee felt there would be confusion. That is why in rugby the tradition is for the home team to change, the away side only had to bring one set.

I am not a dinosaur. I understand about the commercial aspect of the game. But I still believe that most fans want the traditional kit used wherever possible.

Unfortunately, until those with more money than sense stop buying all the replacement colours, the clubs will continue to fleece us.

Peter Lee
16 Posted 22/07/2017 at 06:55:23
Personally? Who gives a shirt?

The day we get points for kit design is the day I'll stop going.