So... what's new??

by   |   12/08/2017  22 Comments  [Jump to last]

I once had every weekend made or broken by an Everton result since 86-87, but since 15-16 I have not only seen my interest in Everton disappear, but also in all things football. I’ve paid as much attention to the game as I have student politics, rap music, or Crufts.

But a new season starts today and I’ve just seen Lyndon’s predicted line-up. I recognise a grand total of THREE names! And Rodriguez returns to Uruguay? Umm, who?

I’ll be watching the Stoke game and hope that, for the coming season, the passion returns for all things Blue. But it would help if I had a little context from the previous two campaigns. (I’m not sure where we finished last season. I saw that some crazy pre-season friendly that made it onto TV was actually a start of a European campaign, so… 6th?)

So imagine I’ve just woken from a two-year Martinez induced coma. You’re visiting with a bag of grapes. You can’t wait to tell me what’s happened both on and off the pitch, and of course here on ToffeeWeb. Should I hope for an early discharge or hope to be put back under?

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (22)

Clive Rogers
1 Posted 12/08/2017 at 20:59:51
Definitely an early discharge. It's a new day, a new dawn, a new era, with new owners and management that are determined to progress to a higher level. Even if they don't, at least they are having a go, which is more than can be said for the previous regime.
Paul Ferry
2 Posted 12/08/2017 at 21:03:21
I genuinely don't believe this for a single second: 'I’m not sure where we finished last season'.

Treat this with a generous pinch of salt.

Don't waste any of your time giving him details of what he already knows.

Dennis Stevens
3 Posted 12/08/2017 at 21:30:50
The road to recovery can be long & tortuous, with potential for many great setbacks along the way, but a full recovery is possible. Only time will tell!
Andy Osborne
4 Posted 13/08/2017 at 09:19:49
I always find "Google" helps in these situations. But here is the concise version.

New owner.
Sacked manager.
New manager.
7th place finish.
New stadium promised.
Spent shit loads in transfer window.
New team.

One thing I don't understand: How can you lose interest in Everton, that's not Evertonian?

Jeff Armstrong
5 Posted 13/08/2017 at 12:41:49
Nick, you where one of the most prolific contributors on these pages for yonks,then you had that many spats with tofeewebbers you bowed out gracefully..now you would have us believe you lost all interest in things blue,well I for one do not believe a word of it, methinks this is just your subtle way of re-introducing yourself, and trying to be polar and provocative as ever..welcome back.
John Audsley
6 Posted 13/08/2017 at 13:05:45
Nick

You've been on this website for years.

I've used it daily since 2000 and I've seen your name hundreds of times.

Don't blag us!

Colin Glassar
7 Posted 13/08/2017 at 13:08:27
What a self indulgent post. Who cares?
Tom Bowers
8 Posted 13/08/2017 at 13:23:40
Some people do anything to gain attention.
Brent Stephens
9 Posted 13/08/2017 at 13:25:01
As the title says "So...what's new??"
Gordon Crawford
10 Posted 13/08/2017 at 13:31:40
How can you lose your passion for Everton? I have never lost my passion for Everton or Everton related things. If you cut me I would bleed blue. It's a relationship with plenty of ups and downs.

Yes, it can hurt like hell to go through what we have all went through over the years, but it makes the sweet moments even the more sweeter. You don't give up on what you truly love. The question I would ask you is do you truly love?

Everton Forever that's me.

Nick Entwistle
11 Posted 13/08/2017 at 14:25:28
Hey Jeff, to be honest ToffeeWeb was one big spat back in the Ginger era! Those were the days. Mr Ferry knows exactly what he's doing.

Other than watching all the Euros, football has been MotD every couple of weeks and I've never been one to read sports pages. Life from time to time can change priorities but Saturday brought back the first day excitement.

ps; I've never ever said a bad word about Rooney. Ever. Get in!

Andy Osborne
12 Posted 13/08/2017 at 15:06:43
Maybe after seeing Rooney return to the "Blue" family, you decided to do the same. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and hope you have a similar impact on these TW pages as Rooney did on the pitch yesterday.

You know the saying "Once a Blue, Always (well maybe with a bit of break) a Blue."

Tony Abrahams
13 Posted 13/08/2017 at 16:26:48
Stay in the coma Nick, we have lost Lukaku, but still we have very little movement further up the pitch.

The problem could be the formation, which might just change if Koeman, gets the money to finish what he's started? but for now we have a lack of pace, a lack of grace, but a strong defence, which might just be a perfect base!

Eddie Dunn
14 Posted 13/08/2017 at 16:50:38
Nick – I'm pretty sure you have posted more recently than you're letting on!
Don Alexander
15 Posted 13/08/2017 at 17:07:49
Tony (#13), I too hope Koeman signs who he wants in the next two weeks but even if he does I doubt it'll be all we need to get top four this season. I'd like to be wrong though!
Nick Entwistle
16 Posted 13/08/2017 at 18:05:37
Eddie, August 21st last year it seems from a quick search.
Brian, Walker& Smith... what else would get people through those years?

Kenn Crawford
17 Posted 13/08/2017 at 23:59:32
I am an Evertonian who lives in Sydney, Australia, and have done so since 1974 when I left Liverpool. During the early years here there was almost no coverage of Everton it was Arsenal, Liverpool who got all the coverage but I still managed to find everything I needed to know about my beloved Everton.

You should go back into your coma. Call yourself an Evertonian? Bollocks.

Phil Walling
18 Posted 14/08/2017 at 19:07:28
I have to admit I had consigned Nick to the the memory compartment that contains the like of Tony Marsh and that great disciple of Davy Moyes, Richard Dodd.

I've often wondered what happens to so many regulars. TWers who after years of praising or slagging off their heroes either get banned or just seem to fade away.

Do they really lose interest in all things Everton or just get tired of 'the conflict of the keystrokes'?

I have to admit that during one such ban ('suspension') from these columns, I pissed off to Cyprus but got so lonely that I needed to post more than ever.

Sorry, folks !

Ian Hollingworth
19 Posted 15/08/2017 at 07:16:49
Welcome back, Nick.

Ronald Koeman is the manager.
We have an Iranian backer with ties to the Russians.
We are getting a new stadium on the docks.
Rooney has come home.
U23s won Premier League 2.
5 Everton players involved in England U20 World Cup win.

Best stop reading here as the rest might put you back in a coma.

Bill Kenwright = is still chairman.
Barkley wants to leave.
Lukaku sold to Man Utd.
7th last season.
Minimal net spend in transfer market.
We signed Niasse.

John Charles
20 Posted 15/08/2017 at 07:26:35
New owner. New manager.

Same old slow, dreary, conservative football.

Winston Williamson
21 Posted 15/08/2017 at 12:26:00
So this piece gets published, but my article on Ronald Koeman being the time-travelling-love-child of David Moyes and Teresa May, sent back in time to render Goodison Park silent and Evertonian's into a sleep so deep even FHM's sexiest female/male (delete according to your own preference) dancing naked couldn't wake them up, doesn't make the cut???

Note to editors: I appreciate it was a boring and self-indulgent article, but thought it had a poetic mimicry of Ronald's mind-numbing, dribble-inducing football currently on display

Shane Corcoran
22 Posted 15/08/2017 at 12:47:55
I was only away for the weekend and I didn't realise that your man was gone back to Uruguay.