Realistically, who's in the frame?

by   |   10/10/2017  41 Comments  [Jump to last]

The vast majority of Blues want to see Koeman replaced. Hopefully, the Board are sounding out potential replacements, as we can all see where this is heading.

Who can we get? In no particular order, here's a quick rundown of names who could possibly step into the hot seat once the inevitable happens:

1. Thomas Tuchel.
2. Sam Allardyce.
3. Sean Dyche.
4. Chris Coleman.
5. David Unsworth.
6. David Moyes Mk II
7. Brendan Rodgers.
8. Walter Mazzarri.

I personally don't see Ancelotti even considering us, and there is no way Benitez will upset the red side of the City by coming to us. The same could be said for Rodgers, but he will want to get back into the Premier League.

It's not exactly an inspirational list of candidates, but we have to start somewhere!

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (41)

Dennis Stevens
1 Posted 10/10/2017 at 21:29:11
You forgot De Boer!
John G Davies
2 Posted 10/10/2017 at 21:34:57
No thanks to no 2 and to nos 4-8
Andy Crooks
3 Posted 10/10/2017 at 21:47:01
Sadly, Kevin, I fear no replacements are being sounded out. That would smack of forward thinking and decisiveness.
Jack Convery
4 Posted 10/10/2017 at 22:12:30
Once the Republic are Ko'd by Italy or someone else, then O'Neill / Keano will be available. Duncan and Keano at Finch Farm – should sell a few tickets!

Where is the Tinker man these days. Pellegrini, Mancini, Da Silva, Tim Cahill, Reid / Heath, Lennon, Ancellotti, Gullitt, Giggs, Viera, Howe, Pulis etc etc

That lot should get the juices flowing.

Lawrence Green
5 Posted 10/10/2017 at 22:27:33
The hierarchy should be looking for a replacement even if Ronald sees out the full term of his contract, although that's looking less likely by the week with the current form and general mood surrounding the club.

Seeing as how the wonderful people in charge of our club knew for months (years?) that Lukaku would have to be replaced, they made a pigs ear out of that – so why should we expect them to prepare the club for the next step until the very last minute and have every Tom, Dick and Harry linked with us until finally appointing Ferguson and Unsworth as the dream team?

James Stewart
6 Posted 10/10/2017 at 22:31:45
Moshiri would look for Premier League experience as he did with Koeman so you can forget Tuchel.

The candidates would be:

1. Ancelotti
2. Dyche
3. Marco Silva
4. Eddie Howe

I can't see anyone else being involved.

Barry McNally
7 Posted 10/10/2017 at 22:36:40
Quique Flores didn't get a fair crack at Watford.
Iain Johnston
8 Posted 10/10/2017 at 23:27:42
I think the problem with many names on the list is that they currently manage clubs with fans having far less expectancy than us.

Dyche, Silva & Howe could effectively finish 15th, 16th, 17th and their chairmen would think "It's job done, we're still in the Premier League, thanks for another £100m." They aren't under any particular pressure.

We need a manager who has previous, a CV with silverware and Euro qualification on it.

I'd fancy a crack at Luis Enrique, Mancini & Ancelotti and approach all three at once.

Kevin Tully
9 Posted 10/10/2017 at 23:39:26
I was going to include Silva, but I really can't see a manager leaving Watford after a couple of months, especially when things are going well.

He has had rave reviews from ex-pro's in the know, so he's definitely one to keep an eye on. A £6m salary should guarantee you a big name, if you can convince them we are the right club.

Paul Ward
10 Posted 11/10/2017 at 06:01:13
I agree with Andy Crooks.

If the change is to be soon I would only consider one man, Rhino.

It would be an ideal opportunity to test his skills in the big league, but a risky venture to commit to a full-time appointment. As a caretaker manager he would likely retain a position in the club if he was not as successful as required.

Also, David is popular with fans, he would not cost a fortune and he may be given time to settle in.

Derek Thomas
11 Posted 11/10/2017 at 09:17:16
Koeman out – Unsworth in; This to be reassessed in May. While this time conducting a better job of due diligence of Potential Candidates, should Unsworth maybe not fancy it long term or is deemed not up to it, he will have to do a lot worse to be that bad.
James Stewart
12 Posted 11/10/2017 at 09:43:56
@8 Watford would not accept a bottom-half finish, Silva has the same expectation as we do, absurdly – Europe.

Agreed, Kevin, for me he is the outstanding candidate and the next Pochettino. He also won the League in Portugal, don't forget.

John Otway
13 Posted 11/10/2017 at 10:09:42
Jack (#4)

"Keano", as you call him, is nothing but a bully boy. I wouldn't want him anywhere near our club.
John G Davies
14 Posted 11/10/2017 at 10:50:51
"Keano" picked his mark. Come up against a proper tough player and he jibbed it every time.

Very wary of Joe Parkinson. Him and "the guvnor".

Iain Johnston
15 Posted 11/10/2017 at 11:25:55
@12, James, I would agree that Silva's star is on the rise but for me he's not been managing in this country long enough yet.

Yes, the same could be said for Pochettino when he left for Spurs but he'd completed a major turnaround at Southampton finishing 8th, their highest Premier League finish in a decade and with their highest number of Premier League points.

Marco Silva has a fair bit to do yet, it's too early. Maybe Watford will be his Southampton?

I know the reason for his sacking from Sporting CP was atrocious but I worry that he likes to tapdance between clubs, 6 in 7 years. There's no stability there.

Is he a manager always looking for the next move, the next rung of the ladder? Would he use us as a further stepping stone in building his reputation?

If the decision to remove Koeman was made today, Silva would be my outside gamble.

Rob Young
16 Posted 11/10/2017 at 11:58:18
Darren Hind's comment in the topic 'Lukaku, Stones, Barkley and the betrayal of Everton' has made me want Unsworth and Unsworth only. And I want him asap.

What will have changed over the past week and a half under Koeman? The way we've been playing we do not stand a chance against Lyon and Arsenal at Goodison next week. Bring Rhino in now and the Old Lady will be rocking for those games.

Whether we think he can do it long term or think he shouldn't be in charge at all, I'm sure we'd all love nothing more than a Bluenose to be the one to make us successful again. It would give us a chance v Lyon (which we need to stay in Europe) and v Arsenal.

He'd have our support simply because he is one of us and we'd give him the time to have a proper go at it. We are Everton – if you don't get it (Koeman), then fuck off.

Richard Reeves
17 Posted 11/10/2017 at 13:36:44
I would give Unsworth the job because we're already into the season. I still think De Boer as manager bringing through the youth that Unsworth is producing would be a good fit but I would prefer him to get a pre-season and his own signings in as he probably would need more time to stamp his style on things. Of the above list, only Unsworth and Tuchel are worth considering.
Mark Riding
18 Posted 11/10/2017 at 14:19:59
Get Tony Pulis in.
Paul Kelly
19 Posted 11/10/2017 at 14:48:24
Realistically, there's nobody coming to replace Koeman imho. I just think the Moshiri will stick with his man for longer.

To add to Mr Riding's shrewd shout-out to Pulis (think of the miracle at Palace) you can add Gordon Strachan as his number two and Reid/Southall combo' as Directors of Football. Sorted.

Paul Kelly
20 Posted 11/10/2017 at 14:59:46
And just to add we could get Martin Mason in a new role as ‘liaison to the uneducated', you know, like comments about ‘swamp gas' and that ‘there's no tanks outside Baghdad‘, currently occupied by (insert name here).

No offence Martin, I enjoy your posts, just fancied a laugh. Apologies in advance.

Ciaran O'Brien
21 Posted 11/10/2017 at 16:26:41
If Koeman is sacked or walks, we need to get a strong personality in. Someone who won't take any bullshit but at the same time put an arm around the shoulder. A proven winner like Ancelotti would be the dream but he only manages top teams. I reckon he will try for the Arsenal gig once Wenger leaves at the end of the season.

It is true that our most successful managers played for the club like Kendall, Catterick and Royle but those times are eons ago. You don't see it anymore in competitive leagues let alone the premier league. Barca, Ajax etc do it but those clubs are more or less guaranteed a title challenge or a top 3 finish in their league. Even Koeman and De Boer won stuff their but have been found out elsewhere. Pep has yet to convince after failing in Europe at Bayern and now after spending millions at Man City.

The only reason I'd give Rhino a try is to do with our young players, he is totally untried at this level apart from the last game of 2015-16.

Look at Dunc, he has been part of our first team coaching staff for Bobby Brown Shoes and Koeman and we don't look any better.

There are too many people living in the past on here, what worked in the 60s and 80s won't work now!

The managers who I would look at replacing Korean, if he goes are:

1. Manuel Pellegrini, has Premier League experience with City. Won the title and 2 league cups playing good football. Plus got them to the semis of the Champions League. He also did outstanding work at Villarreal and Malaga.

2. Sean Dyche, has kept Burnley up with a small budget. Has regularly beaten the top sides and his sides can play good football. Plus he seems like a no-nonsense person too.

3. Roberto Mancini, another foreign coach with Premier Leagueexperience, won Man City's first title in 44 years and the FA Cup. Plays good football and won titles with Inter. Temperamental though and could fall out with players.

4. Laurent Blanc, a solid option. Won titles with PSG and with Bordeaux. Knows our league from his playing days at Manure. Defensive minded but not overly.

5. Marcelo Bielsa, “El Loco” as he is known is currently in charge of Lille. The Argy is considered the most innovative coach in the world and likes to play fast attacking football. Won titles in Argentina and got Chile back onto the world stage. Got Bilbao to the Europa League final playing Fergie's Man Utdoff the park.
Unpredictable though, leaves jobs early. Quit SS Nazio after 2 days and never manages top teams.

6. Leonardo Jardim, the Portuguese coach won the French title with Monaco last year, their first for 17 years. Plays fast attacking football with young players and was also a success in Portugal. Could come here with having to deal with Monaco selling their stars all the time.

7. Michael O'Neill, current Northern Ireland manager. He has worked wonders with them, getting them to the Euros in 2016 and to the playoffs for Russia 2018. Also worked wonders at Shamrock Rovers with winning their first titles and years and becoming the first Irish side to qualify for the main stages of a major European competition.

8. Luis Enrique, the Spaniard left Barca last year after 3 seasons of great success. He likes his sides to play fast counter attacking football. Rest of his career isn't impressive though with stints at Celta Vigo, Spartak Moscow and Roma.

9. Maurizio Sarri, the Italian has done a great job with Napoli after Rafa Benitez left. Napoli have consistently finished in the top 3 in Serie A and are leading the seemingly unstoppable Juve this season. Plays fast, controlled possession football in a 4-3-3 system.

10. Eddie Howe, young and English, apparently grew up an Evertonian and has brought minnows Bournemouth up the leagues and into the Premier League and kept them there. He likes to play attractive football and he talks a good game.

Thing is, Bournemouth can't defend, he is very like Martinez and last time he left Bournemouth to go to a bigger club up North at Burnley, he scarpered back down to the south coast after a couple of months. Plus his transfers have been suspect with spending £15m on Jordan Ibe.

Other candidates are Pulis, Big Sam, Brendan Rodgers, Derek McInnes at Aberdeen, Tuchel, Jesus at Sporting. Ancelotti would obviously be the top choice but I don't see him coming.

Steve Ferns
22 Posted 11/10/2017 at 16:51:14
I really like the look of Silva, but for me, I agree with Ian (#15). I would have him pencilled in for 18 months time after we see what he can do in England with a full season.

The main thing I want to see though is a coach. Not enough of the names mentioned are coaches. I want someone who can get a hold of this team and really coach them into better players, the way that Pochettino has done. Spurs have it exactly right for me. I want to see us hire someone with a plan, a vision for the club for the long term. Basically someone who can do all the things Martinez promised but failed to deliver.

We have a great youth side, we have signed some very interesting and exciting young talent to supplement them. So why not try to bring them all through? I would like to see us only sign one or two players each year, for big money, and cultivate the rest.

Of course we lack pace, we lack width, and we lack cutting edge. We should know more about Bolasie and Coleman come January and if they can show signs that they're not physically diminished, then they solve a lot of problems. Meaning we can focus on getting a world class striker.

I'd then like to see the manager really coach the side to play a particular way or style. The style should reflect what Everton is about. For me, our crowd likes tackling too much for it not to be part of the manager's make-up. We love to see that aggression. We are also the school of science, and we love a bit of silk and steel. Pochettino would be absolutely perfect. We cannot have him, but let's find the next one, and I think Silva might just be it.

Jay Harris
23 Posted 11/10/2017 at 16:54:36
I don't see that many available that would be a better bet than Koeman right now (Anceotti an exception) given the current situation with the playing staff.

I would give Koeman till January and review it then unless we can get Ancelotti now.

If things do not improve drastically I would give Rhino till the end of the season and interview him alongside other candidates next summer.

The key problem for me is to remove Bill from any operating role and get a top quality goalscorer in, money no object.

Steve Ferns
24 Posted 11/10/2017 at 16:55:36
Ciaran, I love Bielsa. He is having a torrid time at the moment and having gone 6 games without a win (since the opening day of the season) he is under pressure. His team is bereft of energy and looks very un-Bielsa like.

As for Lazio, he had it in his contract that they would sign 3 specific players, they failed to do so and, in true Bielsa fashion, he resigned. Bielsa is a simple guy, he will keep his promises if the board keeps theirs.

At 62, his own energy may be on the wane, I doubt he has the appetite to learn English fluently, but perhaps in another lifetime he would have been a perfect coach for us in around 2000-2010.

Steve Ferns
25 Posted 11/10/2017 at 17:01:09
I'd say anyone is a better bet than Koeman right now. He is the only one who fails to see the lack of pace or width. Notice how he never complains about this after games? This shows you beyond doubt, that this is by design and not a problem he is trying to overcome.
Paul Ferry
26 Posted 11/10/2017 at 17:08:04
Steve Ferns 22 - I really like the look of Silva, but for me, I agree with Ian #15. I would have him pencilled in for 18 months time after we see what he can do in England with a full season.

So, who do we get in for 18 months or are we sticking with icy Ron?

Nice reassuring vision here of a managerial-go-round, revolving doors, mixed metaphors and all that.

I'm thinking ahead like a good'un and will say with some boldness that we should go for Arteta/Cahill 19 months after we get Silva in and that we should change our name to Everton Palace with immediate effect.

Paul Hewitt
27 Posted 11/10/2017 at 22:00:09
Maybe, just maybe.... Koeman will turn it around.
Steve Ferns
28 Posted 12/10/2017 at 00:33:51
I don't expect Koeman to be sacked, Paul. The £6m a year contract would see a pay-off in the region of £10m. Any decent new manager would demand at least 3 players (striker, width, centre-back) and would need at least £100m to do that. It's just too expensive to do this.

Everton are more likely to keep the faith with Koeman, maybe splash £50m on a striker, probably one Walsh would need to agree due to the shaky ground Koeman is on right now, and see if Koeman can make the end of the season. I expect he will do just enough to see out his contract. Then, we should look to take Silva.

If it was up to me, I'd sack him and see if we could wave enough money in front of Nagelsmann to come to England for a real job rather than take the Munich job, which isn't much of a challenge.

An alternative is his old mate, Dominic Tedesco of Schalke, but he is very much in the Silva category of "needs further observation".

Paul Ferry
29 Posted 12/10/2017 at 01:25:05
Koeman to Holland, Steve?
Dale Rose
30 Posted 12/10/2017 at 13:23:16
All of these top flight "genius" managers are great, when they are given an unlimited pot of money, and can buy their way out of their mistakes.

Give it to Unsworth and Ferguson, let them work the team and at least there would be some passion. I would far sooner see Dogs of War than all of this tippy-tappy shite.

Clive Rogers
31 Posted 12/10/2017 at 13:45:33
If it does come to it, I pray they don't let Kenwright anywhere near the decision making for the next manager.
Neil Copeland
33 Posted 16/10/2017 at 20:25:19
I want my Everton to play with aggression, passion and desire. I want to see the players giving everything for the shirt and leaving nothing on the pitch. I want a team I am proud of.

IMO this limits the list somewhat to Rhino and possibly Dyche. I get the support for Silva but I'm really unsure about him and although I am not sure about the other two, they will, I think get the players playing for the shirt.

David Israel
34 Posted 17/10/2017 at 23:04:58
There's a recent story doing the rounds about yet another Portuguese coach, whose name I forget, who's currently in charge of Shakhtar Donetsk, Paulo something, I believe. The Telegraph says Guardiola likes his style and could even put a word in on his behalf. The paper says he was also considered by Everton after Brown Shoes was removed.

As for Silva, my impression is that, if we wait too long, he may end up at Arsenal or Chelsea.

William Cartwright
35 Posted 20/10/2017 at 19:21:08
I don't get your logic, Paul. The pay off for Koeman is relatively small change (how sick is that) compared to the absolute shit storm of chaos that follows if we are relegated... or is it? Perhaps a parachute payment and a season of rebuilding in The Championship might surprise us?

Most of the expensive imports would jump ship, but the burgeoning younger players might step forward, grow a a team in The Championship league and in 2019-20 we could be rocking... in readiness for the new stadium? (Just thinking out loud, so to speak!)

Alastair Kelly
36 Posted 22/10/2017 at 22:17:24
Interesting thoughts. I certainly believe Koeman should go now. Clearly no game plan today against Arsenal. He's also alienated too many players. I'd like to see Moyes given the opportunity to have a go at Everton with some £ to spend. Last time round he improved us every season. He would stop us leaking the goals, restore confidence and get us going again. Another possibility I like would be Gianfranco Zola. He had an unhappy time at Birmingham but admits he tried to make too many changes too soon and wouldn't make that mistake again. He believes in a strong defence as a foundation and quick attacking football. Would be a risk but could be a ballsy choice.
Dennis Ng
37 Posted 23/10/2017 at 01:14:45
Having read up on Marco Silva, I like the pedigree, even if he couldn't save Hull (damage was done already). Wouldn't mind him if we can get him. My top choice is Tuchel and I know that is a very long shot.
Raymond Fox
38 Posted 23/10/2017 at 01:39:18
You really want to give it to David Unsworth in a situation we are in a the moment?
My god what happens if we were to then lose the next 4 matches!
The jobs too much pressure at the moment for David, the teams upside down and needs an very experienced Premiership manager brought in.
Its not Moyes, its not Pulis, its not Silva- not been in League long enough.
The choice is obvious to me, some one who can get the maximum out of any squad he takes over and is English.
I have stated the bleeding obvious enough times already to do it again.

Stephen Davies
39 Posted 23/10/2017 at 02:09:14
Ian # 8
You mean like that Spurs manager had?
Stephen Davies
40 Posted 23/10/2017 at 02:12:24
Neil # 33
Why are you unsure about Silva?
Colin Metcalfe
41 Posted 23/10/2017 at 03:10:13
David#34 you are thinking of Paulo Fonseca , good call and he has stated he would like to manage in the the premier league but we really are in dire straits and I don't think this is the right time to appoint a coach with no premier league experience , differcult choice to make considering our position but it's a definite no from me to Moyes II or big Sam !
Laurie Hartley
42 Posted 23/10/2017 at 04:37:21
Raymond # 38 - I know who you mean.

There is a great Chinese saying that I like - "In battle only a sword will do.".

The thing is we are in a battle not a duel so forget about epees and rapiers - a broad sword is required.

The future of the club hangs in the balance so the next move is a question of premiership survival.

The players confidence is shot to pieces so they can't lift the fans, and the fans have had the fight sucked out of them so they can't lift the players.

I've said this before - men follow men. The next man who walks into Finch Farm for his first training session will have to command the immediate respect and trust of the players.

We haven't go time for a "getting to know you period". They will have to know that their new gaffer has "been there and done that".

If you are taking the time to read this post dear ToffeeWeber ask yourself this question:-

If at this moment I had to appoint a man to maintain our premier league status who would that man be?

Paause for a moment before you answer because if you get it wrong we are going down.

Easy now - answer another question - what is hardest of these two things to do in Premier league football:

1.To win a title with unlimited funds and access to the best players on the globe at your disposal OR

2.Keep your club in the battle season in and season out despite having none of the the resources at number 1.

It's down to you my fellow ToffeeWeber - think very carefully.