A Song for Seamus

by   |   09/11/2017  6 Comments  [Jump to last]

This is a suggestion for the poets and jesters who go to Goodison with chants and songs and odes to our great players. Seamus will (hopefully) be racing up the right wing in a few months, and I think a new song would show our appreciation. The song, Las Vegas in the Hills of Donegal, by Goats Don't Shave (I know, I know) has the chorus:

And if I could I'd build a wall around old Donegal
The north and south to keep them out, by God I'd build it tall
Casinos, chicken ranches, I'd legalize them all
We'd have our own Las Vegas, in the hills of Donegal
Yeah Las Vegas, in the hills of Donegal

I can guarantee that Seamus knows this song. :)

We can change it to this, or something similar:

Goodison jumps to it's feet, when Seamus gets the ball,
He's up and down the right wing, he's nearly 6 feet tall
He only cost us 60 grand, but we don't care at all
He's our Seamus Coleman, the man from Donegal,
SEAMUS Coleman, the man from Donegal

There's plenty of diddly-aye there too!

As I say, it's just a suggestion for those who make up songs or get songs going in the crowd. It's been going around in my head for years.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (6)

David S Shaw
1 Posted 09/11/2017 at 14:56:57
Good tune for a song. I read a good Glentoran song that I think is supposed to be hat tune, and always thought it would make a good Everton one. It started along the lines of: I am a grand wee Ulsterman,and Thompson is my name, I like a drink on Saturday's, I like a football game.
Martin Nicholls
2 Posted 10/11/2017 at 19:31:31
Great song, Dermot!
Lee Brownlie
4 Posted 16/11/2017 at 06:14:10
My go at the chorus:

If I could I'd build a wall around old Goodison
The reds and shites to keep out of sight, by Howard I'd make it strong
Old Seamus and all Toffees, sweet, I'd have them dancing with our song,
We'd have our own Blue Fortress, never lose at Goodison
Yeah Seamus and all Toffees, welcome to Goodison !!!

Frank Wade
5 Posted 20/11/2017 at 17:54:02
Nice one, Dermot, You share a name with a famous Irish musician, also an All Ireland winning Gaelic footballer with Louth in the 50s. He was an accordion player so would have done a good job with this tune, as you have with the lyrics.

Nice second verse from Lee as well.

Shane Corcoran
6 Posted 22/11/2017 at 14:51:51
David, I'd be surprised if Glentoran sang a song about a "wee Ulsterman" to a song about Donegal. I'd say most Glentoran fans don't realise that Donegal is in Ulster.
David S Shaw
7 Posted 23/11/2017 at 09:09:00
Shane Corcoran - there's a bit of a twist at the end of the song, can't remember the exact words but something violent followed by "because I support the Glens from the other side of town"