NewsRumoursReportsVideoTalking PointsArticles
Text Size:  A  A  A

Derby joy

I Just wanted to say a few things regarding the game last night and events leading up....

1. I'm so happy for Dan Gosling! I was thinking all through extra time it would be great if either he or Jack Rodwell got the winner. Made up for them both, it should give them confidence to flourish.

2. I wanted to commend Tony Hibbert on his recent performances. Well done Tony. You are one who gets more than your fair share of criticism, but recently you have done the royal blue shirt proud. Along with Phil Jagielka and Leighton Baines you know what it means to us fans and all your performances of late have really warmed our blue hearts.

3. Victor Anichebe says he is embarrassed. He should be, rocking the boat before the derby. Regardess of how guilty he is, any sort of 'bust-up', swearing or not, is something to be ashamed of. Look at the lads mentioned above for inspiration!

4. I wanted to raise the issue of the Liverpool fans throwing socks, coins etc. No doubt the media will shy away from this as it is their darlings that are guilty, but we should really kick up a stink about this. It was disgusting. You could clearly see players being in the line of fire on ITV (even if we did miss the goal!). More should be made of this, our reputation is dragged through the dirt at any opportunity.

5. Its to be expected from the fat waiter, but disputing the sending off of Lucas?! Rafa really is cracking up. Just give us our dues Rafa, we beat you fair and square.

Well done Moyes and the boys. Keep up the effort though, we've won nothing yet. There is a great opportunity of silverware now though, grab the chance with both hands!
Gareth Cooper, Sheffield     Posted 05/02/2009 at 08:51:11

Comments

Alan Kirwin
1   Posted 05/02/2009 at 09:25:01

Did everyone else notice that it was indeed Tiny Tim that retrieved the ball for young Gosling and presented him with it after the whistle? He may be small, but everything about this man is big. His work ethic, his sportmanship, his clear & total dedication to the blue cause, his pride at playing for us and the fact that he never forgets the fans.

In all honesty, has there ever been a better professional? not just for us, but for anyone? He may not be captain by name. But everything about Tim Cahill says "leader". To paraphrase a previous Geordie Messiah, "I luv Tim Cahill, fuckin luv 'im".

Seamus Murphy
2   Posted 05/02/2009 at 15:37:24

I too would like to add my praise for Tony Hibbert ? he was excellent last night, even going forward a lot and taking advantage of the space that was opening up in front of him. He seems to be getting better and better over the last couple of months. I have criticised him in the past (and usually justifyibly so) so I thought it only fair that I give credit where due.

Also just to mention Rodwell as all the focus is rightly on Gosling but he was also very good last nite, looks very assured on the ball and never wastes possession.

Well done lads, great stuff.

ps: Dam you ITV for robbing me of that moment of elation. Sick about that.
Neil Scott
3   Posted 05/02/2009 at 15:42:02

I agree Alan and surely thats why the team ethic is much stronger with Cahill, and so are our results.

Its also why someone with a bad attitude like Anichebe stands out a mile and was not missed for a nanosecond last night.

Just can’t help smiling today. And what a bonus to be filling the likes of Gosling, Rodwell, AVDM and possibly Jo with great confidence just as some of our other first team players need a bit of a rest.

COYB!!!

Lee Penswick
4   Posted 05/02/2009 at 15:44:47

Agree with everything you say there Gareth. On the Rafa point is he for real? Liverpool Football Club should be ashamed, he is the most ungracefull man in football. A complete blabbering spoilt brat who has lost all grip on reality. What a tit!

As for their fans, they too showed their class, last season they were spitting at our captain and last night they through missiles at our players. You can bet the media won't kick up a stink about this. Bitter Twats!

Get in there blues.
Dave Whitwell
5   Posted 05/02/2009 at 15:50:10

Couldn’t agree more about Hibbert amongst others, was in the Park End last night for the 1st time, and loved it.

I would particularly like to give a mention to Neville though as well, footballing ability aside this guy epitomises the passion of the club on the pitch. I thought he was fantastic last night and along with Arteta & Rodwell kept everything moving in midfield. What I love about him though is that in everything game be it home or away, he finds time after the final whistle to come and applaud the fans. He amongst others is a genuine ambassador for this club.
Brett Bradshaw
6   Posted 05/02/2009 at 15:55:31

Rightly so, there has been a lot of praise for the majority of the team, even Hibbo - and they all deserve it.

I would like to complete the list with Howard, what a Legend! He has pulled out some world class saves in the past few games, including last night.

What a TEAM!!

They are not only playing for the fans but for each other too! Magic

RM aside, we have a team capable of beating anyone. This is not the thread for football manager though and even so, we have a few players that can do a job there.
Dave Roberts
7   Posted 05/02/2009 at 15:40:58

Alan Kirwin,

Absolutely spot on mate. The lad may not be the greatest footballer to grace our Hallowed Turf but everything about him makes him a legend to be considered amongst the greats.

How many times has Top Cat (TC) pulled us out and won games for us? How many times has he assisted in goals for others as well as those he scored himself? Have we ever had to say TC didn?t try today? Never. How many times has he put his body in where it hurts? The lad has filled in all over the pitch and his efforts in our current lack of strikers have been outstanding.

He has already earned his place in the Goodison Hall of Fame and yet I feel there is more to come.

And all this for a pittance of £2m!

Gosling took the plaudits for his great goal last night and deservedly so. But did anybody notice how he was left the space to collect the ball initially because the RS defenders panicked in the face of a brilliant cross from Andy VDM and moved to cover TC? That is a measure of TC?s impact on the pitch.

As for the original post, It is easy to forget the great defending capabilities of Tony Hibbert in the face of his limitations going forward. The same could be said of Jagielka (actually) because they share the same kind of limitations. Their contribution however has been and remains outstanding. As does the performance of the defence overall.

As for the Kopite Gobshites throwing things onto the pitch... we will just have to conclude that this unsavoury rabble will never learn and ignore them. We don?t do things like that. We are more dignified and more cerebral in our support of our Club. Better to just continue in the True Blue way of being the best supporters in the land. In the words of Brian Labone, every one of us is worth twenty of them. Brian underestimated us in my opinion!
Tom Campbell
8   Posted 05/02/2009 at 16:35:40

Tony Hibbert wont give Ashley Young an inch.
Tony Evans
9   Posted 05/02/2009 at 16:47:41

Fantastic last night. As soon as ITV went to the ’break’ I knew we’d score. Just had to happen didn’t it?

Was actually glad to see AVdM get on the pitch. I hope he gets given a few more outings to be fair.

I know, I know. He hasn’t done much at all for us and he’s taken (gone on) the piss on more than one occassion but he’s made two appearances this year, maybe 15 mins of playing time and he’s had a hand in two goals. Dunno, for all his faults he can cross a ball.

Very impressed with Rodwell too. Even from earlier in the season he’s come on leaps and bounds. Very relaxed and composed.

Back four solid. Play all four against Spain.
Danny Broderick
10   Posted 05/02/2009 at 17:06:48

Great result and match. Just hope we can carry that momentum into the next round against Villa.
Chris Lawlor
11   Posted 05/02/2009 at 17:12:54

I'm still buzzing after last night, absolutely buzzing!

The boys made us all proud last night and played their hearts out. Rodwell was calm and composed and Gosling.. well what can you say?!

I?d also like to make a mention of AVDM, he wasnt on long but he made one hell of an impact, great cross and first time he picked up the ball he went on a run to beat his man. Give the lad another go Davy and lets utilise his obvious talents.

Well done all! and roll on Villa.
Mike Price
12   Posted 05/02/2009 at 17:23:02

Cahill is my favourite ever player... he loves the club always gives 100%, scores critical goals and he?s rock hard. Absolute class the way he gave the ball to Gosling too.

I?ve always despised the redshite but the FSW has taken the division to new depths, he is a disgrace, an ungraceful cheating classless twat. Perfect for the redscum really.

I live in Vancouver and the co-commentator was David fucking Fairclough but fortunately we dont get commercial breaks during games. What a moment... finally a late goal against them to crush them... that and a torn creasehead hamstring.... priceless!

One thing that Everton have got to fix is the TV gantry and microphones being right next to the away support. The sound is disproportionate and the true Everton experience when Goodison is rocking is distorted and people around the world don't get it.

Scott Jenner
13   Posted 05/02/2009 at 17:44:03

After missing the goal because of ITV and then missing the replays from runnung around the house I missed who crossed the ball into the box. I have seen many replays now but can't make out who it is.

Can anyone help?
Peter Jones
14   Posted 05/02/2009 at 17:59:01

Could anybody please explain what all that sock throwing from the Scandinavian retards was all about last night as I am quite frankly bemused. Cheers.
James Marshall
15   Posted 05/02/2009 at 18:07:03

The sock throwing was in reference to Kirkby - people from Kirkby known as sock robbers; people who nick socks off washing lines to put on their hands to then nick cars.

Scott - Andy van der Meyde crossed for the goal.
Joeynkoo Ludden
16   Posted 05/02/2009 at 18:11:06

Peter - its a reference to Kirkby.

Scot - the man Andy Van! He cant half cross a ball, but cant hold his liquor for toffee!

Gareth - given that both a) Big Vic has gone backwards in ability and is now lazy and shyte and also b) When you fall out with Moyes you dont normally feature for a season or 2; Id say we wont see Vic in our Royal Blue again. Maybe Hull will take him off our hands in the summer.

I just hope Moyes figures out subs can do the trick! Lets hope he remembers it.

COYB!!
Tony Marsh
17   Posted 05/02/2009 at 18:37:19

Peter Jones the sock throwing last night was meant to be a skit on our clubs proposed move to Kirkby. For years and years, Kirkby people have been taunted tongue in check as Sock Robbers. This stemmed from the notion that everyone in Kirkby was so poor that they ran into each others gardens and nicked socks off the clothesline. Hence the sock throwing.

Alan McGuffog
18   Posted 05/02/2009 at 19:00:47

Thanks Tony, for the explanation regarding the launching of hosiery at our football matches. Let me just get this right. Even the thickest of kopites must accept that the population of Kirkby is made up of scousers... and in all likelihood reds possibly outnumber blues... but I digress. These loveable reds are implying that a whole population of Liverpool people are thieves.

Now isn?t it true that, when supporters of other teams or any piss poor comic looking for a cheap laugh, insinuate that scousers are by nature villains, then all hell breaks loose.
Don?t all the professional scousers... epitomised by the McGoverns and the Redmonds (all reds of course) get all pious and holier than thou about this sort of thing. I remember all the indignant reds on the phone-ins after some bunch of low life in the away seats at Anfield took to singing "you nicked my radio". They really are a piece of work aren?t they ?

Oh well maybe I?m just smug being one of the chosen.

Sean Norton
19   Posted 05/02/2009 at 19:42:07

I just wanted to say GET IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
have that Rafa you fat, moaning, moron! oh happy day COME ON YOU BLUES
Peter Roberts
20   Posted 05/02/2009 at 20:27:48

Tony, like Peter Jones I was left quite be- and a-mused at the sock throwing. I don’t normally give the RS credit for much but it is quite a funny dig at the move, though that is looking less likely to happen now, oh happy day.

One missed point - I know he has his fair share of critics and often goes missing in big games but Osman was much better last night. Had arguably our two best chances in normal time with the volley in the first half and hit the post in the second. Generally looked lively. Think he got a lot more confidence from Arteta dictating play more in the centre.

Jags was outstanding - if he isn’t at least in the England 18 next week to face Spain something is badly wrong in the FA system. In my mind he is the 3rd best English centre back in the country behind Terry and Ferdinand. Lescott’s 4th - only Vidic and Ferdinand are a better partnership than Jags and Roger at the back in the Premier League.
Matt Bone
21   Posted 05/02/2009 at 20:40:42

Not sure if its already been discussed but aside from agreeing with most of what was said by Gareth Cooper originally, I would like to complement Moyes on his positive approach to the game and making decisive substitutions before we were chasing the game. We have not seen that from Moyes much this season but you could see he really didn't want it to go to Pens and Rafa did.

Torres was shit last night, playing like a petulant child. If he plays like that in the next few games and with Gerrard missing, the Shite's season could soon be over.
Jacqui Moore
22   Posted 05/02/2009 at 20:39:52

What a night, totally elated and so deserved. Goodison was rocking, plenty of singing and energy from the crowd. We all need to bombard the club to ensure they change positions of the microphones. Felt a tad disappointed to come home to be told that you could hear loads of the Liverpool songs and i thought for the numbers they had they were quiet. This is being screened around the world and my voice is still hoarse from the singing we did. Never mind we all know the noise we made even though this did not reflect on the television. COYB. Proud to be a blue.
Ray Robinson
23   Posted 05/02/2009 at 20:54:06

Everyone in work today commented on what a rubbish game it had been last night, to which I replied it was the best £39 I had ever spent - just for the last 2 minutes alone. One of those nights you don’t forget. Well done the blues!
Ciaran Duff
24   Posted 05/02/2009 at 20:54:29

Here in Sydney, I watched the game in the office on the internet on my PC. By the end of the game I had a few Manure supporters cheering us along too. Went ballistic when we scored. Not sure what channel I was watching (maybe Setanta) but ex RS David Fairclough was helping the commentary. I must say that both he and the commentator were pretty fair. Neither thought that Cahill should have been booked and both thought that Lucas should walk. Both commented that Everton looked like the only side that wanted to win it.
Great result. Made up for the lads. Hope we can back it up on the w/e.
ps - Fully agree about Tim. Top bloke.
Jacqui Moore
25   Posted 05/02/2009 at 21:16:13

He?s half a boy and half a girl Torres, Torres
He looks just like a transvestite, Torres, Torres
He wears a frock and loves the cock,
He sells his arse on Albert Dock
Fer-nan-do Torres Carragher?s bit on the side.
Made me laugh Ha Ladyboy.
Keith Glazzard
26   Posted 05/02/2009 at 21:02:18

I can’t add much more to the joyous outpouring. I’ve just about stopped giggling, punching the air and I’m wondering about sobering up.

1 - Throwing objects onto the field / at players - isn’t this the sort of thing that the authorities take very seriously? Will they investigate or take action against those loveable sons of fun the kopshites? Bookies refuse odds as its a dead cert.

2 - Beneathcontempt has applied for an extension to the transfer window on the grounds that nobody had told him that he could sign British teenagers.

3 - Thank heavens I had no need of Radio5 last night who are generally OK except for the appalling Alan Green. From what I’ve heard today, he should have been shot. As someone who pays his wages, I thoroughly object to his unbridled bias for them (as a supporter of any other team will confirm). But as a blinkered kopshite he gets away with putting us down in almost every phrase - I email the BBC every chance I get and would recommend everybody to do the same.

But feet back on the ground - I wonder what the starting 11 will be on Saturday?
Dan Walshe
27   Posted 05/02/2009 at 21:38:48

Outstanding effort last night by all 14 players, thought Rodwell was brilliant when he came on, best game I have seen him play, I have criticised Van der Meyde but still want him to succeed against all the odds, hope this encourages him to make a real effort for the remainder of the season, even Victor deserves a chance, he’s only 20, he should be pissed off that we have signed Jo and the answer to that is to wreak havoc the next time he comes off the bench COYB
Divad Niksor
28   Posted 05/02/2009 at 21:44:30

Just a brilliant result. Outplayed them, outmuscled them and outmanaged Rafa. Little Danny Gosling - GET IN!!!

I do have a question though - I was streaming it on my PC so I couldn?t see anything, but as the Gosling pile-on was happening and Goodison was throbbing with hysteria, the commentator said that Pepe Reina was squaring up with Andy van der Meyde because AVDM had kicked the ball away after the goal. The stream then showed Kuyt and some of the other shite getting in the ref?s face, but I haven?t seen anything else about it. Does anyone know what happened? Or was it just heat-of-the-moment stuff?
Steve Williams
29   Posted 05/02/2009 at 22:34:58

Shandy took the ball out the goal and was going to join the rest of the celebrating players but still holding the ball, that's why their scumbag players were kicking off.
Robbie Muldoon
30   Posted 05/02/2009 at 23:42:29

I know the muppet responsible for smuggling odd pairs of socks and throwing them at the players.

He also had a load of Tesco bags.

It made me cringe in all honesty, as am sure there were more than a few few Reds from Kirkby in the away end.

We deserved that win last night more than any other derby I have watched.

On another note, I’ve had the matchday programme from the carling cup game against Chelsea last season lying around on my desk - I took a look at it before, back page in the ’Eye on the Future’ section is an interview with Dan Gosling.

Here is an extract...

WHAT ARE YOUR MAIN QUALITIES AS A PLAYER?

DG: I like to get in the box, score goals and create chances.

I think we will be seeing a lot more of this lad!
Matthew Salem
31   Posted 05/02/2009 at 23:26:54

Nothing to add here that has not already been said. I am delighted, ecstatic, in disbelief and drunk with joy. What a happy ending to 3 encounters with the shite. We suffered so much at the hands of these pigfuckers, let?s drink deep from "the golden goblet shining gold in the radiant halls of joy".
Mark Pendleton
32   Posted 06/02/2009 at 01:35:50

I’d like to second some of the comments made here. Tim handing the ball to Gosling was pure class. Tony Hibbert has obviously been working on his distribution and in the last few games i’ve seen him has been excellent at getting forward and putting some very good crosses in (while still being the same tiger in the tackle we know and love). As for the sock throwing i’m torn between two arguments, yes i know if it were our fans we’d be taken to task over it but to be honest, who cares, it wasn’t and that’s the main thing, we should just rise above it.

As for Rodwell, his composure on the ball and range of passing was a joy.

As for big Vic, it’s up to him. He’ll have missed being part of that night, i would imagine he truly regrets what may have happened and if he apologises to his team mates and knuckles down it should all be forgotten. The team spirit was yet again evident to a large extent during that match and no matter what else Moyes has done wonders to create it.
Stephen Graham
33   Posted 06/02/2009 at 02:01:57

They weren’t socks ... they were towels ....
Tony Hyland
34   Posted 06/02/2009 at 02:55:33

It?s my first ever post and it's 2.08pm here in Sydney, heading for 40degrees and yesterday morning I spent the entire 120 minutes walking round my back garden just nipping in to see the live scoring on ESPN. Almost 60 years as a blue my stomach was churning which is normal during any Everton match.

Although there is a long way to go, both in the FA Cup and PL, I honestly think that the last few weeks of continuous top four competition and the subsequent introduction of the younger lads at that level will do wonders throughout the club. it may not happen this season but barring mass injuries and a modicum of luck I think the Blues will have a bright future.

Some people may say, "It?s alright for you, you have seen a lot of the glory..." but they got relegated when I first started supporting them so my earnest advice is:- hang in there.

Michael Wood
35   Posted 05/02/2009 at 15:18:26

Anyone know a koppite who is due a birthday? Wondering what to get them for a present? Father-in-law, uncle, wife etc. I have the answer.....

Mark Stone
36   Posted 05/02/2009 at 14:03:55

In the words of an FA spokesperson:

"The priority now is to work with the clubs and the police to identify the individuals involved. The FA wants anyone found guilty of throwing missiles to face the strongest possible action. That includes life bans from attending football matches."

Does this include socks? The sock throwing thing was organised on websites before the game. Dirty bastards.

Anthony Dyer
37   Posted 05/02/2009 at 16:25:39

Remember 1984, well how could we forget, Kevin Ratcliffe raising the Cup aloft in the Chinese year of the Rat.

This year 2009 is being hailed as the Chinese year of the Ox but a team of researchers who are experts in the different written texts have discovered a new piece of evidence. It suggests that 2009 has been wrongly named and that 2009 should be known as the year of the Sox! So maybe just maybe Wembley beckons.

Andrew James
38   Posted 05/02/2009 at 19:45:31

Diario del Rafa

Oh no! Got beaten today by el pequeño club (the litte club) and now season no look good at all. I've spent fortune on players who can take buen penalties but are rubbish for the other 120 minutes and now I've been found out.

It's the FA's fault! How dare they sack the righteous Senor Clattenberg? He knew how to referee matches.

But tonight was the worst! el pequeño club have learned telekenetics so that Lescott was thrown in the air and Lucas was sent off!! They also masterminded Stevie G's hamstring to pop and Torres to be slowed down so that the el pequeño club's Phil Jagielka could take the ball off him all the time.

And the mastery of this sourcery made all my other expensive players look like burros and Arteta better than all my players who always get named in the Spanish squad.

Tienes Real Madrid!

I am going back to Madrid. They need waiters there. I'll just convince my restaurant manager we should buy any old rubbish for way over the market price and then whinge the budget isn't enough.

Paul Boyce
39   Posted 06/02/2009 at 08:46:38

Throwing socks on the pitch, did all the Norwegians have to fly home with cold feet?
Gavin Ramejkis
40   Posted 06/02/2009 at 09:58:44

From where I was sat in the Park End the sock and hats and bottles and other objects being thrown by those twats was a disgrace, more so given the mob of police and stewards stood right in the corner doing fuck all about it. I would have called in the police horses from outside and stampeded through the lot of them weilding bats and tear gas and pepper spray ? but to be honest no once did a copper including the three or four senior officers wearing peaked caps and plenty of egg yoke on their brims move or send any of his officers in to deal with it, a huge letdown given that the club are actually billed by these clowns to deal with such matters.
Nick Dommett
41   Posted 06/02/2009 at 12:56:33

Actually I do know a kopite with a birthday in a week’s time so will happily present the special whisky!

On another matter said kopite kept complaining that Liverpool were up against 12 men with the ref biased as hell in Everton’s favour. Besides I think this being the first time ever this would have happened, would anyone agree (my internet isnt good enough for streaming so was watching the updates on yahoo...)?
Ray Robinson
42   Posted 06/02/2009 at 13:43:50

I don?t condone chucking anything on the pitch normally but socks, come off it, Gavin! Where?s your sense of humour?

Next thing you?ll be banning balloons!
Dave Roberts
43   Posted 06/02/2009 at 14:56:24

Balloons are the worst thing has ever happened to football!!!

They should be banned Ray!
Franny Porter
44   Posted 11/02/2009 at 11:49:17

Stumbled across this article whilst skiving in work this afternoon. Final proof that DM, is, in fact, a tactical genius.....

Rebecca Cookson
45   Posted 05/04/2009 at 18:39:15

Where do you start, the game was from a footballing point of view was a classic. Evertonians have lived through much heartache over the years with Liverpool, but to get a goal with two minutes left on the clock, when the reds had time wasted, cheated and moaned their way through 119 minutes of football, it was superb.

After Rafa having a pop at us the other week for parking the bus infront of the goal, their star studded line up held on for their lives and were hoping for a repeat of penalties, which they had won numerous cups from in the past. Steven Gerrard went off and the rest off the team looked at each other as if to say "What do we do now?" From that point, Everton were the team in control.

Of note, Tim Howard only had one save to make, while Pepe Reina found his goal under siege. It just seemed to get worse for Liverpool and their fans as Lucas saw red. They were down to ten men, a miracle for us.

The blues then stepped it up a gear with Fellaini getting hauled off and being replaced by Dan Gosling. Not long later Pienaar followed, Jack Rodwell being his replacement. Everton were rampant, with Torres looking Liverpool?s only threat, but then again he could not really do anything sat in Jagielka?s pocket.

Extra time loomed. Osman hit the post, Tim Cahill went close. The clock ticked down, penalties were on the horizon until the ball landed at Dan?s feet. A shimmy here, a shimmy there and his shot curled past Pepe Reina in the Park End net. Cue Bedlam. It took a deflection but he was the one that was going to claim the goal and live in the Everton books for ever as the ?derby hero?.

Wiley piped up with his whistle to minutes later and Goodison roared. We had beat Liverpool! Knocked them out of the cup. They will tell us that the Premier League means everything to them but the look on Carragher?s face at the final whistle tells a completely different story.