Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Why Not Play Seamus Coleman?

This summer, Moyes signed young promising right back Seamus Coleman. So far this season he was given a squad number and has featured in the reserves.

Moyes now has a crisis at right back. Hibbert (suspended), Neville (injured) & Heitinga (cup-tied) are all unavailable and it looks as though Moyes is being forced to play Gosling out of position.

Now I know Gosling has had some previous experience at right back and I expect he can probably do a job there but why not try Seamus Coleman? If Seamus Coleman is the reserve right-back then surely he's next in line? He has little experience but then that will always be the case until he actually plays.

It's not as if Gosling has loads more experience. Personally I would rather see a young specialized right back play unless Moyes feels that Seamus Coleman simply isn't good enough. But then you have to question why Moyes bought him?

Seamus Coleman is the only specialized right-back available so why not give him a chance?
Dick Anderson, Essex     Posted 17/09/2009 at 05:38:11

Comments

Lee Smith
1   Posted 17/09/2009 at 14:12:00

Because he is injured
Ciarán McGlone
2   Posted 17/09/2009 at 14:22:13

And Gosling plays that position...and is clearly ahead of him..
Dan McKie
3   Posted 17/09/2009 at 14:36:21

Next you will be suggesting we play midfielders in midfield and strikers upfront!
Dick Anderson
4   Posted 17/09/2009 at 14:50:39

Well if he is injured then fair enough play Gosling.

But I still think a fit Seamus Coleman should be in front of Dan Gosling for right-back.
Ciarán McGlone
5   Posted 17/09/2009 at 14:53:39

Why?
Ben Howard
6   Posted 17/09/2009 at 15:07:46

"it’s not my preferred role but I played there for Plymouth and have played there a good few times."

Wasn’t Coleman’s injury something to do with blisters on the US tour? Surely this should have been sorted by now or is there more to it?

Anyway, I’m happy to see Gosling at right-back tonight though and hopefully we won’t be defending too much down that side! I hope to see Pienaar in front of him as I think that he makes Baines look good and Gosling will need some help too. Equally, I feel that Osman makes Hibbert look poorer than he is as he is so exposed.

This is not a dig at Osman as he’s a central midfielder anyway and I want to see him there tonight - hopefully he’ll show what he can do.
Andrew Keatley
7   Posted 17/09/2009 at 15:21:25

Other than second-hand reports and online myth-building I have little knowledge of Seamus Coleman (as I did not catch any of the pre-season games or coverage). But if David Moyes decides to go with Dan Gosling at right back then I can only assume that he does not think that Coleman is ready. And considering that Moyes sees Coleman every day - and I (and let’s face it, you as well) know comparatively little about him firsthand - then I would trust Moyes’ judgement.
Ciarán McGlone
8   Posted 17/09/2009 at 15:48:04

"I thought Gosling was a right-back predominantly but on the official site he says:"
-----------------------

Players have some weird and wonderful opinions of themselves...Neville thinks his best position is midfield..Fellaini thinks he’s a defensive midfielder..Osman thinks he’s a professional footballer..
Dan McKie
9   Posted 17/09/2009 at 15:49:42

Did you trust Moyes’ judgement on sunday, Andrew?
Ben Howard
10   Posted 17/09/2009 at 16:05:24

Ha ha, yeah fair point Ciarán!

I think Osman should be judged after a period of time in his natural position. He’s not at fault for being picked. He’s never criticised Moyes for playing him out of position, never has a tantrum, never speaks ill of his team.

His responsibility is to play to the best of his ability and nobody has ever been able to accuse him of not trying - that’s where I think some fans should check themselves and leave the vitriolic bile for more deserving cases.

(That wasn’t particularly directed at you Ciarán - I know you were just being playful and have him first on the team sheet!)
Dan Walshe
11   Posted 17/09/2009 at 16:40:50

I saw Coleman play for Ireland under 21s v Spain earlier this year and he looked excellent against a very good Spanish left winger and left back. He was good on the ball and strong defensively. I would imagine he needs to go out on loan to the Championship for a few months to get more experience. It would be a big step up to be thrown into a game like tonight.