Howard - one of the top 5 keepers in the world?

Interesting article about the most influential US players of the last decade, which our Tim Howard tops.

Probably not too much competition to win that one, but a more interesting claim the article makes is that Howard is the only US player who would make the top 5 in the world in his position? Any thoughts?

Ben Patchesa, York     Posted 21/12/2009 at 19:42:41

Comments

Michael Kenrick
Thanks for sending that link in, Ben.
Duncan McDine
1   Posted 22/12/2009 at 14:33:46

I’m a little bit surprised that any American player has made it into the top 5 for their position, but if it was to be anyone in the US squad, it had to be Howard. For me, he’s just about scraping into the top 5 in the Prem.
Brian Waring
2   Posted 22/12/2009 at 15:19:11

It would be hard enough to put him in the top 5 in the prem, but top 5 in the world, come on. Whilst he is a very good shot-stopper, the rest of his game is dodgy.
Dave Southon
3   Posted 22/12/2009 at 15:46:44

I agree Brian.
I rate Howard but am amazed at how many times he is beaten by direct free kicks.
Top 5 no, more like Top 25.
Franny Porter
4   Posted 22/12/2009 at 15:52:15

Although he does a good job for us, he does make his fair share of mistakes. He gets beaten from distance too often and I feel fucking embarrassed when he does that ridiculous ’starfish’ jump (see Wolves at home).

However, you only have to see last month's BBC Sport headline ’Capello sweats on James fitness for WC’ to see how poor the goalies out there really are at the moment.
Nick Entwistle
5   Posted 22/12/2009 at 16:00:15

A solid and reliable goalie that is up there with a very strong league of goal keepers.

But in my mind, Nigel Martin was the better GK. Second only to Cech (sp?), when Cech had no need for that foam padding on his noodle.

Now, who would be in goal if Moyes could have found the £700k to land Hart?
Dave Southon
6   Posted 22/12/2009 at 16:07:55

Hart looks a great prospect.

I am a believer of a ’keeper not really finding his feet until at least 25 years old, but we do like to buy young ’keepers in the hope we strike gold.

Simonsen, Ruddy, Stubhaug, Turner to name a few... In the case of the above clearly not gold, more like copper.

Danny Burke
7   Posted 22/12/2009 at 16:08:49

I rate Howard an an excellent keeper, his weakness would surley be shots from distance though.

Cassilas, Buffon, Reina, Given, Julio Cesar maybe Van der Sar are certainly ahead. Cech isn’t the same since his horrible injury, Almunia is nothing special.

I think he is up there though, we have high expectations from our keepers with Big Nev and Big Nige two of the best I've ever seen.
Mike Allison
8   Posted 22/12/2009 at 17:21:23

Give it time before you say that Dave, John Ruddy is only 23 and earning rave reviews at Motherwell, Woods and Moyes have both praised him very highly recently and he may yet come very good for us (feel free to ignore the Rangers result).

As for Stubhaug I’ve never seen any kind of opinion of him but am I right in thinking he’s still only 18 or 19? We’re also trialling another teenage Scandinavian keeper at the moment apparently.

As for the discussion about Howard, I like him and he’s a good keeper, but he’s not the best American keeper in the Premier League, and a long, long way off top 5 in the world in his position.
Brian Hill
9   Posted 22/12/2009 at 18:09:27

I’d be surprised if Howard made the top 5 keepers at Buckley Hill.
Ciarán McGlone
10   Posted 22/12/2009 at 19:36:56

Unfortunately, the responses are accurate.

He’s no Nigel Martyn.
Dermot Ryan
11   Posted 22/12/2009 at 22:47:42

He’s fine and I hate to criticize our players, but I think he was at fault for the goal on Sunday. I think his positioning is often wrong. Moyes is high if he thinks he’s possibly the best goalie in the league.
Roger Domal
12   Posted 22/12/2009 at 23:22:58

"He’s fine and I hate to criticize our players, but I think he was at fault for the goal on Sunday."

Sure he was, Dermot... A 20-yarder wide open with no challenge being made into the lower corner. Martyn would have had it... sure.

The kid is fine. SAF would love to have him back, I bet. How was his reaction save to keep Chelsea at 3-3? How was his penalty save a couple of weeks back in added time against DeFoe?
Ste Boyle
13   Posted 23/12/2009 at 14:32:14

Danny, have you ever watched Casillas play? He is shocking. I haven't got a clue how he gets a game for Spain when Reina is clearly the better keeper. If you think Howard gets beaten from distance too often, look at this clown.

I do agree with all though, Martyn was by far the best we had since big Nev although Mhyre before his injury was pretty decent.

As for Howard being top 5 in the world... don't think so; top 5 in the Prem? Possibly. The keepers in the division are pretty good but all are prone to mistakes with the exception of maybe Given and Reina who make very few.

I wonder if Fergie regrets selling him to us when his back -up keepers at Utd are pretty shit and they’re leaking goals with Van der Sar out... hmmmmmm!

Mick Wrende
14   Posted 23/12/2009 at 18:03:33

I don't rate Howard very highly — he never makes fantastic saves to either side. When you watch him he doesn't have much sideways projection — take the goal last Sunday or Lampard's winner in the Cup Final.
Mike Gaynes
15   Posted 23/12/2009 at 19:24:01

Don’t know what you’re watching, Mick. Howard is the best shot-stopper in the Prem, and only Given is even close to him. They both have the characteristic of all great keepers — the more shots you hit them with, the better they get.

Agreed that where Howard falls off sometimes is on positioning, and his distribution can be less than stellar, but both are improving. What’s most important is that he makes very few blunders... and never the same one twice.

And remember that he’s a relatively inexperienced keeper for 30 — still less than 250 appearances in top-level football (MLS doesn’t count), which is less than half of Given’s experience. Give Howard one more World Cup and another season in the Prem, and he will definitely deserve that top five world ranking.
Brian Waring
16   Posted 23/12/2009 at 21:50:46

Mike, blue tinted glasses come to mind.
Mike Gaynes
17   Posted 23/12/2009 at 23:46:09

Maybe even red-white-and-blue tinted, Brian. But all right, please tell me who in the Prem you would trade him for besides Reina, right now, tonight? Remember, Given’s 33 and Cech has a bad case of the shy. Almunia? Certainly not VDS. And surely not any of England’s finest — James? Hart? Green? Ben Foster? I don’t think so.
Luis Suarez
18   Posted 24/12/2009 at 11:17:40

Good comments on Timmy. But you all are wrong about one thing: HE IS NOT THE BEST AMERICAN PLAYER. As you all will soon find out, the most talented and bar none the best American player is... LANDON DONOVAN.
Brian Waring
19   Posted 24/12/2009 at 11:57:05

Mike, 2 keepers off the top of my head who are better than Howard, even though they are a lot older, are Friedel and Schwarzer. Given is also a far better keeper.
Mike Gaynes
20   Posted 24/12/2009 at 17:33:44

Brian, no argument on Friedel... he’s the consummate professional and would still be the USA keeper if he hadn’t retired from international play. I might debate you on Schwarzer... his distribution is awful. The guy can’t kick a ball.

But that wasn’t my question... I asked who in the Prem you would trade Howard for right now. All the guys you mentioned are way older than Howard. Given’s at his peak, Friedel and Schwarzer are coming to the end. Howard’s still improving. Would you trade him for any of them today?

Brian Waring
21   Posted 24/12/2009 at 18:07:36

Mike, I wouldn’t trade him, not because he is the best in the Prem, and there is no-one better, but because I am actually happy with him between the sticks for us.