Comments (16)  jump

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments back

Reader Comments (16)

Rick Tarleton
1 Posted 07/10/2014 at 06:40:58
A very good player, skilful and hard-working. Always suffered from being compared to the great Colin Harvey, but in his own right a top class mid-fielder.
Brian Hill
2 Posted 07/10/2014 at 06:53:51
Marvellous story. Thank you Mr Sawyer. Buckley was a very good player in an often poorly managed team which should have achieved more than it did.

Throughout the article one thing shines through – the magnificent institution that is Everton Football Club.

Chris Hockenhull
3 Posted 07/10/2014 at 11:09:19
Wonderful piece, Ray. Well done. A player who promised so so much but never quite grasped his potential but still one who left great memories during a period of uncertainty in the '70s. A sad tragic but not uncommon tale.
David Harrison
4 Posted 07/10/2014 at 11:54:46
One of my favourites, Mick's drift down the ranks is a fairly accurate parable of EFC in the 70s.

Life has a nasty habit of appearing to give you everything but then taking it away and Mick won't be the last footballer to need support after playing. Well done to individuals like Darracott, Jones etc and the past players for picking up a comrade when he was down. Qualities like that are increasingly hard to find in today's dog-eat-dog, me-me-me world.

Dave Brierley
5 Posted 07/10/2014 at 11:46:28
A great read, Rob. I remember Buckley well. As Rick said, it was unfortunate he followed Colin Harvey which was no easy task and the comparisons were inevitable. Nonetheless a very good player and it was sad to read of his decline in later years.
Andrew Davies
6 Posted 07/10/2014 at 12:03:06
Wonderful article on a player I remember well in that frustrating period in the '70s after the greatness and early demise of our great 1970 team.

Terry Darracott says that he always wanted the ball. That's right and he would take pressure off others (including Terry!) by always making himself available for the ball. Moreover, he wouldn't make cheap passes, would be prepared to hold on to the ball until an opportunity developed... that could open him up to criticism but I always admired what he was trying to do. He looked a huge prospect and had we developed what we had in 1970, I am sure he would have fully achieved his potential.

Like Brian Hill, I think we are a very special club; it was moving to read about how Ronnie Goodlass pressured him to join. Very sorry about how things worked out for Mick.

Derek Knox
7 Posted 07/10/2014 at 15:54:47
Good article Rob, although a very sad ending to another who had graced the Goodison Turf, and although not from Liverpool, fell in love with the club, as so many others have over the years.

I am from Scotland myself, and remember going to my first live games at the Old Lady, in between going to sea both with the Royal and Merchant Navy's. I also remember seeing Mick play alongside the likes of Dobson, Kenyon, Jones, Goodlass, Darracott etc.

It's also comforting I'm sure for his family to know that his time at Everton has been well remembered and appreciated by all. It is also a poignant example of how thin the dividing line between success and downfall can be.

Sadly missed, but not forgotten.

Peter Murray
9 Posted 07/10/2014 at 21:12:27
Mick Buckley looked a bit like Colin Harvey, played a lot like him and was his natural successor.

My mates and I would walk home to Bootle from the Goodison games singing his praises. A potential great. Sad, so sad.

Well done to Gary Jones, Terry Darracott and the rest of the Everton family for giving the support he needed. It is moving to know that these values still exist in the greed-driven world of todayÂ’s football.

Pete Gunby
10 Posted 07/10/2014 at 22:27:33
Good player at an underwhelming time for Everton. I always thought we were a few players shy of a good team – some things never change.
Dennis Stevens
11 Posted 07/10/2014 at 22:41:26
A quality player through the disappointing 1970s. We seemed to have quite a few decent players at any given time but it never quite turned into a great team.
David Ellis
12 Posted 08/10/2014 at 04:16:14
I did not realise he left at the young age of 24! Decent willing player - Leon Osman reminds me of him a bit (although Buckley was stronger in the tackle and perhaps not quite as skillful). Clearly his form dipped early in his career as often happened in those days – I think they just did not look after players well enough and did not know how to manage injuries properly. No-one lasted much beyond 30 in those days.
Andy Meighan
13 Posted 11/10/2014 at 20:34:42
Fabulous stuff. And I’m close to tears reading that. A great little player and he really was as good as Colin – not quite but up there... The 70s were my era and we produced some great sides and some great players and it still galls how close we came to snatching the title off our beautiful neighbours. Who by the way won the title every season from 1970 until 1990 if you’d believe the press but all that aside.

I only realised only until a few years ago that mick was from Manchester. I honestly thought he was local. I remember a game at Sheffield Utd in Â’74, a 2-2 draw, he scored but was absolutely fantastic. He totally put Currie (a big name then) in the shade. RIP, Mick... Never to be forgotten by us Blues.

Andy Meighan
14 Posted 11/10/2014 at 21:00:00
I meant to add: As some of the former greats who have passed on, eg, Labby, Bally, Westy – this was more poignantly sad because of the nature of his passing. I have actually had mates who’ve said, "Well what did you expect?" etc. It still saddens me. Goodnight, Mick... may your soul rest in peace.
Michael Winstanley
15 Posted 14/10/2014 at 22:20:14
Great read, thanks Rob.
Paul Wharton
16 Posted 14/10/2014 at 23:13:01
Rob, brilliant as usual. I really liked Mick Buckley, two good feet , tackle and a good shot. As the good Dr said: one of us, was Mick.