Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Comments (24)  jump

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments back

Reader Comments (24)

Peter Mills
1 Posted 25/03/2015 at 09:15:25
Great article Rob and David. IÂ’ve got very fond memories of going to the final against Arsenal aged 9, and the thrill of seeing an Everton player lifting a trophy at Goodison under floodlights.
Dave Abrahams
2 Posted 25/03/2015 at 14:36:43
Great piece, Rob, some very good players in that team.

Eric Curwen, defender, was on a TV program about professional football clubs who look after players who failed to make the grade, he was on with his dad. they didnÂ’t have much nice to say about Everton.

I think Yaeger the Aussie came back to English football, might have played against Everton, possibly for Blackpool... could be wrong.

Reg Gates
3 Posted 25/03/2015 at 15:13:18
Some very good playerÂ’s in that team.They must watch todayÂ’s game and weep the way they go down after being "touched" because God knows none of them have ever been tackled .
Eugene Ruane
4 Posted 25/03/2015 at 16:50:17
Terrific, thank you Rob (and Dr Everton) for another fantastic piece.
Ray Atherton
5 Posted 25/03/2015 at 18:50:05
A great article, Rob. I was one of the hundreds on the pitch after the game.

I grew up in school football with some of those lads, being the same age. From the 50s to the early 60s, my school faced Gerry Glover and Frank Darcy – St John's; Aidan Maher – St Swithen's and St Teresa's.

Darren Hind
6 Posted 25/03/2015 at 19:10:36
Fantastic Stuff.

I never saw the Dave Mackay Tackle on Jimmy Husband, but I've lost count of the number of people I've met down the years who have described it as "That tackle" .

Dick Fearon
7 Posted 25/03/2015 at 19:21:12
To my mind, Jimmy Husband did not regain anything like his huge potential after he was cut down by that Dave McKay two-footed waist high flying tackle. If ever there was a case for police action over on-field brutality, that was it.

Off topic, take a gander at the playing conditions in those days.

Sue Brown
8 Posted 25/03/2015 at 18:03:08
I love reading these pieces, thanks Rob, always interesting.
Peter Fearon
9 Posted 26/03/2015 at 02:55:15
I remember my dad taking me to that match to recover from the torment of Liverpool winning to FA Cup. It was a fantastic night and a reminder that the future was Blue. Even then, you could see that John Hurst and Jimmy Husband were extraordinary players in the making. And when that penalty went in....
Neil Quinn
10 Posted 26/03/2015 at 07:17:17
In the early seventies, I had a job as a programme seller at Tranmere when they used to play on Friday nights. The wages from this used to pay for my ticket to Everton the next day....perfect for a young lad.

I remember Frank Darcy arriving along with a raft of "end-of-career" Liverpool players, during the Ron Yeats era. Us youngsters in those days never appreciated defenders & it was always the flying wingers or strikers who captured our attention. Interesting to read that Darcy was used as a "closer".

Paul Wharton
11 Posted 26/03/2015 at 12:10:43
Great read once again from Rob and David, flying the flag for Evertonia and the EFC Heritage Society. Well done, gents!

Mike Owen
12 Posted 26/03/2015 at 19:29:37
I remember my dad taking me to see that Everton FA Youth Cup winning team play an England Youth XI in what was probably the autumn of '65.

It was meant to be played at Goodison but was switched at very late notice to New Brighton. I think we won something like 4-2. I've done a quick internet search but can find no mention of it.

I've forgotten loads of games but for some reason that one has stuck, a little at least, in my memory. It may be something to do with Everton playing the whole of England.

I think I have the programme somewhere. It was one of those white sheets of the type they did for Central League games.

Steve Carse
13 Posted 26/03/2015 at 19:18:01
I remember that game – particularly the rain. I recall getting on to the pitch and forgetting how muddy it was going to be, with the inevitable fall quickly following.

Didn't Hurst play CF?

He was a superb CB, with the calm of Bobby Moore and the strength of Jack Charlton. Another Blue who didn't get the international recognition he deserved.

Rick Tarleton
14 Posted 27/03/2015 at 09:36:03
I played against Wallace and Maher as a schoolboy and remember Wallace giving me a torrid time; I thought he was a cert to make the grade.
John Francis
15 Posted 29/03/2015 at 17:57:20
I remember that game. The atmosphere was terrific. I seem to remember there were bottles thrown on the pitch from the Gwladys St end.

30,000 crowd, bottles on the pitch, pitch invasion and a trophy at the end of it, what a night. Brilliant.

George Stuart
16 Posted 30/03/2015 at 00:17:01
Wonderful stuff. Reminds me of when football was proper.

In regards of the MacKay tackle, I have heard much of it in retrospect but at the time I remember the wisdom around Jimmy Husband was that he was never the same after a vicious tackle by some Panathinaikos thug in the European Champions league, whoopse, I mean the European cup , which was restricted to the actual champions of the respective nations leagues as indeed we were at that time.

I was at that game and it was filthy. I seem to remember that Jimmy had a blinder the week before the tie and mutterings were being heard that Jimmy was as good as Georgie Best. Am I misremembering or is there some truth in this?

Rob Sawyer
17 Posted 30/03/2015 at 00:51:37
George (16), Jimmy was indeed clobbered in the first-leg at Goodison against Panathinaikos and missed the return leg in Athens.

My thanks to all who have posted warm comments in response to the article.

Mike Owen
18 Posted 02/04/2015 at 14:28:27
George,
Yes, I was sitting in the Lower Bullens that night. Husband had been in brilliant form and seemed to be marked out for special attention. Kicked to bits. And to think that team was coached by Puskas!

That night (not getting a two or three-goal lead to take over to Athens) was a turning point in our history.

There was still a Yugoslav team to play in the semis, but the European Cup final that season was at Wembley.

Brian Harrison
19 Posted 02/04/2015 at 16:01:44
I remember that youth team that won the FA Youth Cup but quite interesting that we are still talking of how few players progress from youth football to first team regulars.

Today, five past England managers have backed Greg Dyke's stance on getting more English players playing in the top league, yet 50 years ago, when we won the Youth Cup, there were very very few non-British players playing in the league then. Just shows how unique were the Busby Babes and latterly Fergies youngsters that came through.

Jason Bogatai
20 Posted 03/05/2015 at 09:49:22
Greetings from Australia. Great article by the way.

I have only recently met Dennis Yagger in a pub in Sydney and being a football tragic I have enjoyed many a chat with Dennis reminiscing over football in Australia in the 60s and 70s. He casually mentioned that he played for Everton in the 1960s but I never had any idea that he actually was a member of this successful Youth Cup side.

He is coming over in a few weeks time as it is the 50-year anniversary and will be at the final game of the season at Goodison. I just wanted to let you know that he is looking forward to it. Dennis and I just talk football all the time and he is still a fan of Everton to the core.

Enjoy the celebrations.

Tom Evans
21 Posted 03/06/2015 at 20:13:50
Just seeing the photo of the programme back in those days invoked strong memories of the start of my association with the club.

I can remember quite a few of the names and of course, seeing most of them play. I had forgotten about the Dave McKay tackle, but not of the first leg game at Goodison against the Greeks. What a cauldron of anger the Old Lady was that night.

Dave Abrahams
22 Posted 03/06/2015 at 21:24:29
So sorry to learn that Tony McLoughlin has passed away. I met him one night in The Marlborough in town, we were watching a match on TV. We got talking with him and my mates (all reds) and he knew his football, loved Everton, and we had a good gab then and a few times later in the Beehive. It wasnÂ’t that long ago, so sad.
Dave McCoy
24 Posted 06/06/2015 at 00:00:48
Great article. Jimmy Husband was replaced by David Johnson in the match and scored; game ended 1-1 and 0-0 away so they went into next round on the goal scored at Goodison.I think they got to the final.