Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

They're Coming, Be Gentle

by   |   02/07/2014  Comments (107)  jump

With the heroic exploits of Tim Howard, Evertonian and legend, I'm quite sure in the very near future there will be many, many more Americans on these beloved TW boards.

As an American, I can promise a few things: We love the prediction games here in the States, and I'm not exempt from that. Here's a few...

New American posters will be here professing their love for Everton because of Tim Howard. They'll state frankly that they weren't too sure about "soccer" and Timmy won them over. They now want a team to root for and Everton seemed the natural fit because it's Tim's Club team.

New American posters will be full of energy and bravado. They'll make silly claims and will, in a very delusional manner, think they have every right to have strong opinions about Everton Football Club. All this despite the fact they probably didn't even know Everton existed but for a matter of weeks ago.

New American posters will be very... American. The concept of a world outside their shores and a different way of looking at things outside their comfy little prism will be foreign. You might get a gun-toting Alabamian Republican in the mix...

New American posters will not have an appreciation or knowledge of the History of Everton Football Club.

Why do I mention all this?

We Americans are a very naïve bunch when it comes to things on the other side of the pond. When I first came to Everton 8 years ago, I was the single most naïve individual TW has ever seen. I still am in many ways. I still learn about our Club and frankly society in general "over there" every time I come on TW. It's a learning process that will never end.

I think we're about to get a fresh crop of naïve Americans into the fold.

Please be patient with them.

Surely in order to do this we must welcome newcomers. And for the lifetime Evertonian born and bred in Liverpool - I'd ask a massive amount of patience with the individuals who I believe will find TW and adopt Everton Football Club as theirs. You (we?) will need to be patient and also educate this influx of new fan into the Club.

They'll be so many stupid comments... so many silly things said...

But if we embrace this "new American fan" it will help grow the fan base, our global reach, and the Club as a whole.

Be gentle. They're coming... And they may sound a bit silly at first... Many won't be here for more than a few months as the fad passes; Americans can be incredible bandwagon jumpers.

But many will stay. And many will, over time, slit their wrists for a title.

And growing the Club will help in that regard – a goal we all share surely.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments back

Reader Comments (107)

Graham Murphy
1 Posted 02/07/2014 at 19:44:56
I think it can only be benficial to our beloved club if we grow aroind the world and particularly in the states. You hear of the other 'big' clubs in the Premier league popping over the pond and selling out large stadiums. if we don't take this 'great' opportunity to spread the word now, we never will, which will mean, we would have lost out and great potential commercial deals.
Tony Abrahams
2 Posted 02/07/2014 at 20:17:23
Good post Jamie, and thanks for the warning, that not all Americans can be as sensible as you.

Must be great over there at the minute for everyone who loves soccer, and it looks like it’s now there to stay, in the good old USA!

But if we really want Everton to grow, we must find a way to give the gun-toting Alabamian Republican the address of Boys Pen Bill!

Mike Childs
3 Posted 02/07/2014 at 20:07:08
Wow it's like you just climb inside my head and dumped. My love began 4 years ago after World Cup 2010 and my choice of Everton was simply down to three things, Landon Donovan, Tim Howard and they weren't Man Utd. I have always favored the underdog and that certainly wasn't United. Given that in the USA they were on TV every week my hatred for United was etched in stone.

At first I was all gung-ho for Moyes and the punching above our weight philosophy. I knew nothing about tactics so I really thought he was doing the absolute best that he could given the haves and have nots of the world. A situation I could identify with given the Yankees and my Red Soxs

I thought BK was a gem of man who would do anything for his club. He loved his club and his fans and wouldn't shortchange them. It was us against the world. What could he do he tried to buy great players but the big boys always over bid him.

My worst sin though was that I thought the RedShites were an okay bunch a team worth rooting for. Then I found TW and boy have times changed. I got to know some real team history, I understood the Redshites were worst than pond scum their fans even more obnoxious than Arsenal and Man Utd fans. That BK was a charlatan and cheap. Moyes I figured out on my own as a great manager until they blew the whistle.

I know I'll never be one of you as it isn't in my blood I wasn't born there and it wasn't my national pastime but I'm thankful that you let me hang out here and absorb your passion and your knowledge. Let me feel like I'm part of it. The world's greatest football team.

Tony J Williams
4 Posted 02/07/2014 at 20:44:49
They had better get used to sarcasm really quickly then....
David Chait
5 Posted 02/07/2014 at 21:06:11
I really hope Everton take advantage of it.. I just don't know if they know how to hit the American psyche... But I wouldn't worry.. The toffeewebbers will treat all newcomers exactly how they treat each other... On 2nd thoughts!
Tony McNulty
6 Posted 02/07/2014 at 21:06:56
The Yanks are coming? They'll be more than welcome. Bring them on.

Presumably you will act as coach, mentor, translator, as required? In other words, move in gently if there is, for instance, too much "offense" and "defense" references in the posts.

Seriously, do you really think there is any chance that the game could take off over there? I lived in the US for a bit in the 1980s and work colleagues kept saying then that the game would take off, "our kids are playing it", but it never really has.

James Morgan
7 Posted 02/07/2014 at 21:13:29
I can just picture newly blue Americans landing at John Lennon in Howard USA jerseys and Stars and Stripes top hats with a fold out map of the city flapping about in the wind and "American - Scouse" dictionaries under their arms.

Welcome, brothers to the highs and lows of Everton life, stick around and you'll never be the same again! (Not always in a good way, mind!)

Jamie Yates
8 Posted 02/07/2014 at 21:13:21
Is right Tony J Williams!

In other news, if they wouldn't mind giving us that speed merchant right midfielder Yedlin as a welcoming gift I'd be very pleased. What an engine, blink and he was away against Belgium the other night. Him and Coleman down the wing would blow most opponents apart. Besler the centre half looked a player too. What those clowns in the England squad could learn about team work, hard graft, energy and determination from watching the tapes of the States' games at Brazil 2014 a few times over. Brilliant stuff.

U S A ! ! !

Seb Niemand
9 Posted 02/07/2014 at 21:19:30
As a gun-toting Republican (from Maryland, though, not Alabama - still, I'm a Southerner just not quite as far South), and Everton fan since 1978 I wonder if the difference between "stupid comments" and "opinions which differ from the holy writ of ToffeWeb" will be recognized.

We Americans do like our freedom of speech, and we are inclined to be contrary when it comes to groupthink, so expect it to be exercised if we arrive here in any great numbers :-).

Now, if you will excuse me, I'm off to tune muh ol' banjo, tend muh' still and picket the local elementary school for teachin' evolution. Yee haw. ;-)

Mike Gaynes
11 Posted 02/07/2014 at 21:40:52
Tony McNulty (6), it already happened. The US TV ratings for this World Cup are through the roof. And the outdoor viewing parties just exploded. Ever been to Grant Park in Chicago? It's huge. And it couldn't hold the crowd yesterday. 25,000 people showed up and they had to move the party into an NFL stadium (Soldier Field). More Yanks than any other country showed up in Brazil... 120,000. It has happened.

To Jamie's point, I'm a Yank who was converted into an Everton fan by the brilliant exploits of one Kevin Sheedy, and I've enjoyed watching the occasional American in Everton Blue over the years, but I still consider myself a "newbie". And even I've run into the occasional sneering Scouser on this board because I don't have an expert's knowledge of the club's history... I saw Sharp and Steven play a few times but wouldn't know Bob Latchford. On the other hand, the most generously educational folks on this board are the ones who saw Hickson, Harvey and Royle play in person, and their wisdom is always appreciated.

So yes, guys, please go easy on the incoming rookies. It's the best way to spread the Gospel of Everton to the uncivilized colonies... at least until the club gets a decent commercial operation going over here and we can buy gear.

Tom P Owen
12 Posted 02/07/2014 at 21:48:29
It's a real shame that we are not involved in the ICC Champions Cup again this year. That would have really enhanced the opportunity for the club.

It appears there is a big opportunity for the club in the US market now, and I hope they are going to make a real effort with it. A few posts on our Twitter feed advertising the Tim Howard goalkeeper shirt will not be enough. We need to have a physical presence over there. A marketing strategy.

In all honesty though, the club should have really been capitalising on the US market years ago.

I don't think the club made a big enough effort of the South Africa link with Steven Pienaar, especially in the World Cup 2010 year.

Scott Goin
13 Posted 02/07/2014 at 22:02:12
I was in the exact same position 4 years ago after the 2010 World Cup. I didn't want to wait another 4 years to watch the sport so started researching the various leagues and club teams. Everton grabbed hold of me almost immediately and hasn't let go since.

Don't forget all the airtime that Roberto Martinez is getting over here. He's an incredibly intelligent and charismatic individual and you can't help but feel a real connection with the guy. They're constantly bringing up Everton on the broadcasts, asking Roberto about Howard, Mirallas, Lukaku, Jagielka, etc. The name recognition is going through the roof in America right now.

There's also the fact that last year with NBC owning the rights, it was the first time you could watch any Premier League match on Satellite TV for free. Back in 2010 when Fox Sports owned the rights, I had to pay to watch Everton. Having free access to the league after the rise in viewership for this World Cup is going to do wonders for new fans.

Derek Williams
14 Posted 02/07/2014 at 22:11:13
I don't suppose any of these "incoming" will have, ooh, say, $500 million they would like to invest? We live in hope.
Paul Walker
15 Posted 02/07/2014 at 22:18:46
Any Everton fan is welcome whether they’re, from England, America, Liverpool or Oxford. it doesn’t matter. I repeat a famous Everton saying:

Evertonians are Born Not Manufactured
We do not Choose; We are Chosen;
Those who Understand Need No Explanation;
Those That Don’t Understand Don’t Matter.

You just know when you’re one of us, thats all you need.

Mike Gaynes
16 Posted 02/07/2014 at 22:34:02
Derek (14), I was calling Sergey Brin regularly on just that topic, but I'm not allowed to call anymore (damn restraining order) and besides, he lost interest when we dumped Bilyaletdinov.

Scott (13) great point about Roberto's TV work. He got rave reviews and couldn't have been a better ambassador.

Paul Andrews
17 Posted 02/07/2014 at 22:38:33
Hear hear Paul.

A blue is a blue.Wherever they are from.

Alan McGuffog
18 Posted 02/07/2014 at 22:43:56
Welcome to all you Yanks. God help you. Suffer from depression, mood swings, anxiety, weight loss, weight gain, sleep deprivation, the ability to start a fight in an empty house, feelings of worthlessness?

You will. And you wouldn’t change one iota !

By the way is Howard tapping up that Yeldin kid? Bloody hope so!

Jamie Sweet
19 Posted 02/07/2014 at 22:53:12
Well said Jamie. The general feeling I get is that most newbies receive a warm welcome here and so they should.

I find you American contributors on this site to be just as enthusiastic and passionate as your blue brothers across the pond and am often impressed by your knowledge as well as your willingness to get to know your history. Sometimes you get your James Flynns getting a bit carried away with themselves, but it all adds to the wonderfully diverse styles of contribution here on TW.

To me, Everton seems to be a perfect fit for a USA fan base. Like the USA team, we're often seen as the underdog, but more than capable of mixing it with the big boys due to an incredible spirit and willingness to run through brick walls for the team... and you do get the feeling that something quite special could be waiting just around the corner for both sides.

It certainly seems a shame that there is no USA tour planned this year in order to strike while the iron's hot. Imagine the crowds that would turn up just to watch "The Human Wall" Tim Howard who has now firmly elevated himself to cult hero status.

Maybe it wouldn't be too late to arrange a quick pre-season friendly. Get an MLS Allstars team together, and give us the biggest stadium you've got. Surely it's worth a go. Will there ever be a better opportunity to sell ourselves to 300 million+ people?

Tom Fazal
20 Posted 02/07/2014 at 23:22:36
Paul (15),

Thanks for posting that, long time since I have read the whole thing. It brought me out in goosebumps because it is so true.

David Hallwood
21 Posted 02/07/2014 at 23:33:34

Welcome guys & gals, bring a friend; we may be a touch pessimistic for your liking and sometimes it's difficult to tell the comment is ironic or just plain taking the piss, and you might think some of the posters are communists and might not like our fondness for socialized medicine (aka The NHS).

But stick with it, because once Everton touches your brow, you'll never be the same again, and you'll pass it on to the next generation.

You'll love the matchday forum, with posts that swing from the obscene to the... well obscene, Interspersed with surreal observations in the heat of battle.

You will add ToffeeWeb to your favourites and visit it every day... Like I said, welcome aboard.

Peter Foy
22 Posted 02/07/2014 at 23:32:10
Absolutely totally welcome. I was talking about this with my mate before. I've been to the USA on numerous occasions throughout my life and I keep telling him, "Don't underestimate the American sports fan." What I meant by that, was that they simply and absolutely love the underdog.

Everton Football Club should embrace this, aka ToffeeWeb with their new USA, usa.toffeeweb.com.

One last thing to our new friends from across the pond, don't be afraid to speak your mind and say something ridiculous. I could take you back through the archives of ToffeeWeb and show you some of the most ridiculous statements and opinions known to man.
Enjoy the ride!!

Derek Thomas
23 Posted 03/07/2014 at 00:18:20

To Jamie and all the once and future converts. Don't worry about saying anything 'silly' by mistake. It's all about opinions, the view from your version of Ken Buckley's seat. If silly got you banned ('talking shite' or 'total bollocks' in the vernacular) then we would have a very empty and boring TW...

Welcome!

Darryl Ritchie
24 Posted 03/07/2014 at 00:24:18
I've spent my life within shouting distance of the rowdy neighbours to the south. A few things I've learned....

They love a winner
They love an underdog
They love a hero

All of the above apply to Tim's performance. Tim's performance as the keeper of the USMNT. I've watched a few of the American post tournament interviews and I've noticed a few things.....

Tim is very popular at the moment
Tourette's is being discussed like never before
Everton is never, ever mentioned

I don't believe we see a huge surge of American TW'ers, because they don't equate Tim with Everton.

Jamie Sweet
25 Posted 03/07/2014 at 01:01:25
Darryl, if you stumble into a strange place known as the twittersphere, you will see that Tim Howard and Everton are being strongly linked among the new breed of USA football fans.

Big kudos to the toffeeweb team for their notable efforts to try and capitalise on the current wave of enthusiasm for the game in the USA, and for trying to help these new fans of the game make sound choices regarding who to follow!

Patrick Murphy
26 Posted 03/07/2014 at 01:23:32
If you havenÂ’t already I recommend that everyone reads the link "America - Everton is your team" underneath the main article "World Cup Record is scant consolation....." It doesnÂ’t say who wrote it but they deserve some praise!

If only the marketing team at Goodison were as inventive at selling the club to new markets and potential Evertonians.

Karl Masters
27 Posted 03/07/2014 at 01:09:26
All Evertonians from wherever will be welcomed I am sure. And not just on the Internet from my experience.

As a kid growing up 250 miles from Liverpool many people back in the 70Â’s found my interest in Everton a bit strange. But, I had been chosen!

In 1981 I was desperate to get to Goodison and spent the Summer doing odd jobs for people to raise the money to go. It was the Summer if the Toxteth riots and my Mum wasnÂ’t very keen on me going to Liverpool on my own as a 15 year old, but I guess she knew trying to stop me was futile!

The great day arrived on August 29, incidentally Howard KendallÂ’s first match in charge of Everton against Birmingham City. I got a train to London, a tube to Euston and an Inter City to Liverpool. Stepping out of Line Street station I had no idea how to get to Goodison Park.

I asked a man who was with his son and as it happened he was going to the match. They took me under their wing, showed me where the buses went from and got me to Goodison. But that wasnÂ’t the end of it, we spent the match together on the Gwladys Street, the Toffees triumphed 3-1 and then they got me back to Lime Street safely for my train back to London.

Compare that to the standoffish response you would get in many other cities, especially London. What great people and I know that any new Evertonian will be welcomed both on here or in person in Liverpool.

"ItÂ’s a grand old team to play for, itÂ’s a grand old team to support......."

Darryl Ritchie
28 Posted 03/07/2014 at 01:26:42
Jamie, I really hope it happens! Paint North America Royal Blue!!!

CanÂ’t help feeling its a flavour of the day sort of thing, though. Time will tell.

Tim Greeley
29 Posted 03/07/2014 at 01:01:58
Well... my name is Tim, I am 35 years old, I am from New Jersey and I frickin love America and Everton. So far, so good... However, I am not a world class goalkeeper who just dominated life as we know it and hijacked the entire internet. DAMNIT. Back to reality. Still.... me and Timmy... weÂ’re basically twins.

Love the post and the sentiment Jamie, and I love the responses from the longtime Blues even more. IÂ’ve felt welcomed here from the start and I know that any and all new fans who are truly invested will be as well.

Everton just makes a man feel good. Until they make you wanna break your toaster... but damn-it,we needed a new toaster anyway. Derek in Australia knows all about toast.... I think I’ve gotten sidetracked.....anyway – my fellow Americans, welcome to your new OBSESSION.

Michael Penley
30 Posted 03/07/2014 at 01:42:59
I welcome them but letÂ’s not get too disappointed if it doesnÂ’t happen. Lovely people our friends in the USA are but, having visited there, they really are a different breed. Remember this is a place where people genuinely have opinions like these:

Still, some of the comments here show that becoming a knowledgeable, passionate and long-term supporter solely off the back of a World Cup campaign is possible and thatÂ’s great to see.

Mike Gaynes
31 Posted 03/07/2014 at 02:18:12
Michael (30), very few Americans have opinions like that. Ann Coulter is to the US what Melanie Phillips is to the UK. DonÂ’t judge America by the former and we wonÂ’t judge you by the latter.
Karan Oza
32 Posted 03/07/2014 at 02:21:32
I started following Everton 4 years ago as well because of Howard. It was a completely new experience for me because this sport is so much more different than anything in the US.

It started out as just occasionally watching games and cheering them on, then it turned into joining the Everton FC website and "liking" them on Facebook to get a little more info on the team. Soon after, I bought my first jersey and I havenÂ’t looked back since. Everton has changed me into a life long football (soccer) fan. I love this sport and support this team as much as I have supported any other in my life, and I could not have picked a better team to call mine.

I joined this site approximately 1.5 years ago, but I was hesitant to comment on any of the articles because I did not want to make myself look like a fool in front of fans who have followed this club all their lives. After posting my first comment, though, I realized I was a fool for not commenting sooner. Not only did I get constructive criticism when I was wrong, but no one on this site has ever belittled or just "brushed aside" anything I have said. That sense of community and camaraderie does not exist in many places. Because we have such great members and such great support for our club, I have no doubt that we will make all newcomers feel welcome and at home on this site.

Jamie Crowley
33 Posted 03/07/2014 at 02:22:24
Michael -

Ann Coulter is a bitch. She blames everything she can dream of that is negative on Euros and Liberals. She is a delusional woman whom I detest.

I have noticed that AnnÂ’s groupies are crotchety old people. Soccer in America is a very generational divide. Younger Americans are clinging to and love soccer. Older Americans think itÂ’s a horrible sport and boring as shit.

I have a theory about this age gap when it comes to soccer in the States, but itÂ’d take too long to explain.

A younger generation that loves footy exists here.

Ryan Scails
34 Posted 03/07/2014 at 04:08:47
Jamie Crowley, fantastic post, and I assume accurate as well.

It was ArtetaÂ’s goal against Fiorentina that got me. It all made sense after that. IÂ’ve been playing this sport all my life, and really never participated in or watched any others besides Track & Field.

ThereÂ’s a youth team in Connecticut where I grew up that is affiliated with the club. ItÂ’s apparently a very competitive youth club to be a part of. IÂ’ve also been living in New York City for the past decade and this city has more than embraced the sport; itÂ’s too diverse not to. In a lot of ways, itÂ’s been bizarre coming to terms with the comparative lack of interest elsewhere in the country. I think people are correct in thinking this high profile moment will generate buzz, but I would say itÂ’ll be more of a spike for the USMNT.

If people really want to dedicate the time, they will. Support will grow organically, because while they seem to be getting a bit more savvy, Everton doesnÂ’t really do PR and marketing. IÂ’m fascinated to see how the support has potentially grown over this summer.

Link

Geoffrey Caveney
35 Posted 03/07/2014 at 03:10:02
Hello there. New American fan here. Howard was the inspiration of course, but also as a fan of the game I could not help but be impressed by the Belgian attackers, and when the announcers mentioned Howard, Mirallas and Lukaku were all teammates, it hit me: "Wow, what a club!"

It so happens, and I may not be alone in this over here, that I had been looking for a club team to follow for some time already but hadn’t found one – or rather I should say one hadn’t found me. Every soccer fan here knows Man Utd and Chelsea and Arsenal, but they just reek of something nauseating and obnoxious, and people can smell it, even over here.

The RedShites donÂ’t have the same stigma here, perhaps due to their lack of recent success, but they have Luis Suarez. His presence repelled me even before the latest "dentally unstable" incident; it will be toxic now.

As for the rest of the league, frankly the ones with "name recognition" among fans here are hopeless teams like West Ham. In short, many of us hadnÂ’t found a team thatÂ’s competitive but not repulsive... Now our eyes are being opened to one for the first time.

So, just my two cents from a new American fan, but I would add a few points to promoting Everton in the States:

1. WeÂ’re not obnoxious like Man Utd or Chelsea or Arsenal.

2. WeÂ’re the rival of Luis SuarezÂ’s team.

3. WeÂ’re the only team with a beer brand on the front of our jerseys. Sure beats some airline or betting websites like two-thirds of the rest of the league.

Thank you everyone for the welcoming posts inviting new fans. I look forward to learning more about the history and culture and traditions of Everton from all of you. And I look forward to cheering on the Blues this season and many seasons to come.

Cheers,
Geoffrey

Rick Tarleton
36 Posted 03/07/2014 at 05:47:11
Thank you Seb Niemand (9) for proving that stereo-typing, by race, religion or football team is not only wrong, but stupid. Sarcasm and irony obviously much appreciated by you.
Mike Gaynes
37 Posted 03/07/2014 at 08:02:19
Geoffrey (35), as far as I can tell, you are our first World Cup recruit. Welcome.

And I donÂ’t know if you caught a glimpse of the Everton class at the end of the US-Belgium game, but Lukaku congratulated Howard on one of the saves he made on him (they grinned at each other even in the acute tension of the moment), and at the end of the game Fellaini (former teammate) and Mirallas (current), raced over to him to hug, congratulate and console him. Fellaini and Howard swapped jerseys.

ThatÂ’s Everton.

Sam Hoare
38 Posted 03/07/2014 at 08:13:43
Great post Jamie.

The more the merrier I say.

Such a shame, as alluded to above, that we as a club are so poorly positioned to a new huge (and potentially wealthy) raft of American football fans looking for an English club to support. IÂ’m sure itÂ’s harder than it looks but we really should be busting a gut to expand our marketing, sponsorship and partnership presence in the States which at present seems fairly negligible to me.

Perhaps some US posters can tell me, how easy is it to find/buy an Everton shirt in the States?

Matt Traynor
39 Posted 03/07/2014 at 08:27:55
Tom, Patrick and others who’ve lamented time and time again about Everton’s lack of failure to capitalise on our overseas players – Donovan, Howard, Cahill, Pienaar etc.

Sadly this board believes the adage that advertising brings diminishing returns to scale. And with a merchandise operation thatÂ’s not exactly user-friendly, have probably decided to leave it. This short-sightedness is amplified each year as the overseas broadcasting deal reaches new markets, with people looking for a team to hang their hat on. The World Cup is just another spotlight opportunity.

It won’t change whilst they’re in charge. They don’t have the funding to invest in the executive structure of the club. And half of the fans on here won’t think that’s important anyway – all money should go to the team, screw the marketing, screw the new stadium.

Short-term board supported by short-term fans – I can forgive the latter – they’re only there to watch the team in their lifetime. The board have held us back for over a decade now. And whilst we may eventually be sold with limited debt, other clubs will have moved on ahead of us commercially, and we’ll still be clinging to "our ’istory".

Good article, by the way, Jamie, and looking forward to some new blood on the board if your prophesy comes true.

Trevor Lynes
40 Posted 03/07/2014 at 09:04:00
USA is a country of immigrants and many are from football playing countries. Their ancestors are steeped in football and I have found it so strange that the worldÂ’s most popular outdoor game is not already their top sport. However, success is a great motivator and the USA have had genuine success so I can foresee a big surge in the popularity of football over there.

Unfortunately, other sports over there are fitted around TV breaks whilst football or rugby as it is played in the rest of the world is not. Americans want to be the best in the world in whatever they compete for and even second place is undesirable to them. They lost interest in boxing once they no longer dominated the heavyweight title and that is why the Klitchko brothers ply their trade mainly in Germany.

I really welcome the interest generated by this particular World Cup and I sincerely hope and pray that the USA continue to improve internationally, but they are pretty fickle over there and it will be a very difficult task for them to adopt football in the same way they have so far without changing the rules to suit their TV coverage and commercial breaks.

Martinez is a very charismatic person who is a brilliant ambassador of our club. Let us all just hope that our tight-fisted board release sufficient funds to Roberto so that he can continue our club progress into next season, Europe and beyond. Otherwise, he will be weaned away by ambition and frustration!

Peter Howard
41 Posted 03/07/2014 at 09:44:18
....and as usual, theyÂ’re late, had to be persuaded and there will be something in it for them.
Tony Draper
42 Posted 03/07/2014 at 10:47:54
Jamie "I want Everton to grow. I want Everton to have commercial success. I want to sign top players. I want us to succeed." — The words of a true Evertonian.

Just persuade some shrewd US billionaire businessman that, if weÂ’re good enough for Tim Howard, then his money needs to find itÂ’s way here too.

Rest assured that many new Evertonians will have been born in the last few weeks; there will, as you rightly say, be some wagon jumpers (I believe that another club has "special care" arrangements for such bewildered persons).

True Evertonians will thrive amongst the TW turbulence, it will appeal to their "True blue Blood"; the shallow ones will retreat.

"Those who know......"

Geoffrey Caveney
43 Posted 03/07/2014 at 12:21:34
Thank you Mike (37). The moment of Everton class I noticed was in HowardÂ’s post-game interview on ESPN, when he warmly complimented Lukaku and called him "Rommie". I noticed and appreciated that moment a lot.

To SamÂ’s (38) question about merchandise in the States, a fair picture is given by the website of ModellÂ’s Sporting Goods (major chain in New York City). They sell Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich, grouped as "UEFA Champs League". A top 4 finish and a good run in the Champions League would be huge for grabbing international attention. Realistically, it would probably take multiple runs to the CL semi-finals or so to really grab most peopleÂ’s attention.

Meanwhile, my DunkinÂ’ Donuts napkins this morning had RedShites promotional stuff all over them. Ugh. At least I got to blow my nose on them.

Bob Parrington
44 Posted 03/07/2014 at 13:15:25
Paul Walker #15. Well said. But we welcome with open arms those who choose Everton because they are not drawn by big$$$ but our special True blue characteristics. Once an Evertonian, always an Evertonian.

In the words of a great Australian folkie song,

Hey, true blue
DonÂ’t say youÂ’ve gone
Say youÂ’ve knocked off for a smoko
And youÂ’ll be back later on
Hey, true blue

Hey, true blue
Give it to me straight, face to face
Are you really disappearing
Just another dying race
Hey, true blue

True blue, is it me and you?
Is it mum and dad, is it a cockatoo?
Is it standing by your mate?
When heÂ’s in a fight or just Vegemite
True blue, IÂ’m asking you

Hey, true blue
Can you bear the load? Will you tie it up with wire
Just to keep the show on the road?
Hey, true blue

Hey, true blue
Now be fair dinkum, is your heart still there?
If they sell us out like sponge cake, do you really care?
Hey, true blue

True blue, is it me and you?
Is it mum and dad, is it a cockatoo?
Is it standinÂ’ by your mate?
When sheÂ’s in a fight or just Vegemite
True blue, IÂ’m asking you

True blue, is it me and you?
Is it mum and dad, is it a cockatoo?
Is it standinÂ’ by your mate?
When heÂ’s in a fight or just Vegemite
True blue, true blue

COYB

Eugene Ruane
45 Posted 03/07/2014 at 12:57:52
David Hallwood - "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free. The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

If you look very close on the Statue of Liberty, thereÂ’s a line in brackets at the bottom

"(Obviously no fucking meffy full-kit kopites – even we have our limits)"

As for American blues, of course, the more the merrier. In fact, a thought occurred to me – why not some sort of ’hazing’ ceremony thing? (it’s an American initiation thing, done by Americans in... America).

I suggest eat 2 of these on the bounce..

Link

Then 2 of these..

Link

Then shift 15 of these..

Link

Then get one of these..

Link

And... youÂ’re in!!

Jamie Crowley
46 Posted 03/07/2014 at 13:35:12
IÂ’m SO for the hazing ritual.

The back tat - IÂ’m sure my kids would love it. The Mrs on the other hand....

If you check off 3 of 4 boxes is that "close enough?"

Peter Mills
47 Posted 03/07/2014 at 13:38:49
Long live The Special Relationship.
Eugene Ruane
48 Posted 03/07/2014 at 13:52:03
You can skip number one and two Jamie (theyÂ’re only for the hard-core) but three and four must be done.
Scott Hamilton
49 Posted 03/07/2014 at 14:29:25
Someone send POTUS an Everton shirt... quick!

Link

Alex Trevalyn
50 Posted 03/07/2014 at 14:34:26
@45, link 2...

Dear god, that sausage dinner looks fuckin delightful..

Paul Thompson
51 Posted 03/07/2014 at 14:38:02
Great article Jamie. IÂ’ve been following the Blues for over 50 years and the more the merrier. There is no escaping the fact that, in the Premier League era, clubs need to develop their global brand; we have an opportunity to do so.

I’ve generally found that the US fans on TW have been a a breath of fresh air. Yes, occasionally naïve, but passionate and not yet worn down by the inevitable disappointments and downers long-term locals have had to endure (along with the great highs, of course).

Shane Corcoran
52 Posted 03/07/2014 at 14:47:32
This is the perfect thread for me to ask a question IÂ’ve been wondering about for a while.

To all the Merseyside based fans, donÂ’t you look down your nose at fans from outside the area, if even just a little bit?

We hear a lot of slagging of LFC supporters being from Norway, why then would Evertonians outside of the city be tolerated as equals?

I fall into this category and, although itÂ’s impossible for me to relate, I imagine I would rate outsiders a little lower.

Be honest now. Oh, and sorry for hijacking the thread.

Kevin Tully
53 Posted 03/07/2014 at 14:58:50
Shane – you’re kidding! To support a team that’s won feck all for nearly 20 years is a sign of character, my friend. Even more so if you reside in another country, when you could have chosen the successful Premier League clubs like Man Utd, or Chelsea.

There is nothing I like to read more on this site than the personal story of someone making their first pilgrimage to L4! They make me proud to be a Blue.

Shane Corcoran
54 Posted 03/07/2014 at 15:11:54
Fair point, Kevin, I see the difference but a lot of people with an anti-soccer agenda (and a pro-GAA one) in Ireland would always question why on earth anyone would support a team from another city in another country.

Now this argument is made in a GAA environment where you only (in 99% of cases) play for the club/county that youÂ’re from or reside in.

As soccer is professional then players (such as Lallana) are deemed okay to play for clubs other than "their club" as the environment is different. This environment doesnÂ’t translate to fans however.

As I said, IÂ’m pretty much arguing against my own position but IÂ’m just intrigued as to how local Evertonians perceive it.

Andrew Ellams
55 Posted 03/07/2014 at 15:19:16
There are a lot of us who, although not Merseyside based (I lived in Speke for the first two years of my life), do have connections. My dadÂ’s side of the family have been Blues since the Blues were born.
Eugene Ruane
56 Posted 03/07/2014 at 14:59:10
Shane (52) - "donÂ’t you look down your nose at fans from outside the area, if even just a little bit?"

Not me.

IÂ’m back in Liverpool now after 34 year of living and working away.

For most of that time, I was able to keep my season-ticket and travel to games (mainly from London and Dublin) but for 3 years I was in NZ and for 2 years in NY and so, for 5 years, was not a match-going Evertonian or living in Liverpool. And I NEVER in this time thought of myself as less of an Evertonian.

As for LiverpoolÂ’s huge gobbledegook-speaking contingent, the question for me has always been not where they are from but why they fill the kop in the numbers they do.

The answer is that, in the 70s and 80s, Liverpool could almost guarantee success and so, strange as it might seem now, these people are glory-hunters.... Or, to be precise, really inept glory-hunters.

This is something that can never be aimed at anyone, from anywhere in the world, who says "I choose.....Everton!"

Up the Toffees... motherflipper!

Duncan McDine
57 Posted 03/07/2014 at 15:17:32
I think you make a good point, Jamie. I bet Timmy Cahill is responsible for a lot of Australian Evertonians over the last few years (not saying all of them are his fault, just the majority), so we should expect a big influx of American Blues this year.

Just one small request: When we have a free kick, itÂ’s bad etiquette to shout "GET IN THE HOLE".

Shane Corcoran
58 Posted 03/07/2014 at 15:22:48
Eugene, but youÂ’re a scouser originally? ThatÂ’s the difference.

I understand both your and Kevin’s point re LFC although isn’t it strange how many Man Utd fans there were worldwide – even during their barren spell before Ferguson?

Andrew Ellams
59 Posted 03/07/2014 at 15:26:54
Shane, the Man Utd fans were glory hunting from the previous dynasty, George Best and all that.
Jamie Crowley
60 Posted 03/07/2014 at 15:20:25
Shane -

I have a theory on that – seems I have, very arrogantly by the way, a theory for fucking everything...

The RS are such a global brand, and have supporters hailing from all over, that Evertonians in Liverpool see the Club as the local Club – their team in Liverpool and not some outsiders, shite fans, johnny-come-lately bunch of douches.

I don’t begrudge them for one second having this outlook when their city is split in two – Everton having been such a local team for so long and the RS having a further reach.

As Kevin says, and frankly this is something IÂ’m very proud of, outsiders "choosing" (having been chosen...) Everton are a different breed. I think most if not all respect the cradle-born Evertonian more than anyone. Hell, we envy them. ItÂ’s in their DNA and if ONLY we were so fucking lucky!

Those of us who support Everton from afar are a very unique breed. We appreciate the dyed-in-the-wool fan, and recognize this Club is the true city of Liverpool Club. We donÂ’t like glory-hunters and we detest fair-weather fans.

In short weÂ’re here for the long haul. And despite our relatively smaller numbers, when you compare the out-of-town supporters of Everton with the RS, you only come to one conclusion:

One Evertonian is worth twenty Liverpudlians.

We are CONSTANTLY harassed by idiots "supporting" "bigger" clubs. "Why did you choose them?" they ask, "They donÂ’t win anything..."

Those who are chosen understand. Those who do not understand DO NOT MATTER.

James Stewart
61 Posted 03/07/2014 at 15:31:10
USA already have a better team than England. Fact.
Jim Potter
62 Posted 03/07/2014 at 15:29:56
American Brethern

If you cock up – don’t worry.

If some knob head has ago at you – don’t take it personally.

We may have the best fans in the universe... but unfortunately that doesnÂ’t mean they are all blessed with brains or manners. (Just 99%.)

Welcome to the roller-coaster – and hang on tight!

Shane Corcoran
63 Posted 03/07/2014 at 15:34:05
Jamie, the theory of the second half of your post applies to global fans of every PL club outside of United and Liverpool. YouÂ’ve just romanticised it to apply to Everton.

I donÂ’t think weÂ’re unique in the slightest. We chose to support Everton for our own individual reasons and those that stuck with them through the bad days did so most likely because some people are just more loyal than others. We werenÂ’t bloody chosen. IÂ’m guessing that some Evertonians just donÂ’t give a shit about English soccer anymore.

Trevor Lynes
64 Posted 03/07/2014 at 15:38:35
Mention of the George Best era at Man Utd always brings to memory the times we really stuffed them. The Busby Babes were beaten at Old Trafford heavily by a pretty mediocre Everton side prior to the Munich disaster. That side contained Duncan Edwards and Co.

Later, I watched a sublime exhibition (the best in my memory) of that legendary Â’60s side when we got to half-time five-nil up with a Roy Vernon hat-trick in about 20 minutes. That Man Utd side contained Cantwell, Setters, Charlton, Law and Best who hardly got a kick all afternoon.

But that was in the prime days of equal playing fields without foreign readymade stars. Both sides were British and Southern Irish to a man! But, according to the present day media, football only began with the Premier League, foreign players, foreign club owners, and Sky TV money!

Stats quoted on Sky are only based on the Premier League and whatever happened prior to that has been conveniently forgotten... What about the 27 years without a title win for Man Utd?

Sean Kelly
65 Posted 03/07/2014 at 15:46:49
To all our American supporters: Welcome on board. Get ready for many highs and lows.

The highs are currently RobertoÂ’s revolution and the lows are generally centred around Billy and his mates avoiding the thorny issue of funding our club. Spread the word my friends and enjoy.

Oh, there is also the joy of joys – seeing Stevie Me slipping up AGAIN. Please god, let it happen AGAIN – in a derby.

Jamie Crowley
66 Posted 03/07/2014 at 16:01:41
IÂ’d argue, from an American perspective of course, that itÂ’s not romanticized in the least.

Every single person I meet that supports Man U, rs, Arse, Chelsea.... they couldnÂ’t name 3 starters never mind 11.

I find American Evertonians to hold their club more dear to them and be more knowledgable than others.

No empirical data to back that up, but itÂ’s definitely my experience. All you need to do is visit an Irish pub over here and listen to the other "fans".

They are dreadful...

Shane Corcoran
67 Posted 03/07/2014 at 16:14:03
I guess our experiences are very different. Fans that canÂ’t name three players? Really?
Jamie Crowley
68 Posted 03/07/2014 at 16:17:57
Yes... really.
Andrew Ellams
69 Posted 03/07/2014 at 16:24:10
Definitely, Shane. You could probably say the same thing for some supporters in countries like India where the team you support is a status thing, so changes according to the league tables.
Patrick Murphy
70 Posted 03/07/2014 at 16:18:34
Shane - IÂ’m not sure that Everton supporters in general have had much time for the International team for many moons - I was only a child in 1966 and so I canÂ’t comment on the national fervour at that time but Everton have always come first in my experience.

Also Everton FC were more closely associated with the Football League rather than the Football Association whereas other clubs notably City and Liverpool seemed to have been more closely associated with the FA. The fact that the Football League was somewhat Northern and the FA was seen as Southern Blazer wearing Lords and Wimbledon attending types may have also led to Evertonians being less than impressed by the FA.

I get annoyed by any fan of any club who thinks because they have attended the game their view is more valid or relevant than those that have seen the game on TV. I also donÂ’t like the fans who listen to the pundits and then think they are being clever when they repeat word for word what that pundit has uttered. The geographical location of a supporter is also less important these days although at certain points it was very important to support the Â’localÂ’ club.

But if any club wants to attract new supporters it is success on the field that will be the catalyst for that and it has always been the case - Everton, Leeds, Man U, Arsenal, Man City and Liverpool will generally always manage to hold their own with a devoted fan-base but only a couple of them clubs will be able to attract a Global fan-base and unfortunately Everton FC isnÂ’t at this moment in time one of them.

But as the tag-line goes Every little helps!

Geoffrey Caveney
71 Posted 03/07/2014 at 16:34:11
Shane and Jamie, my experience with American fans in Chicago and now in New York is that Arse and Chelsea fans are firmly in the glory-hunters category now alongside Man U and RS, as Jamie says. But outside those four teams I think Shane is right. I donÂ’t see loads of glory-hunting Man City or Spurs fans, at least not yet.
Tony Abrahams
72 Posted 03/07/2014 at 09:53:02
Only eight years Jamie? I have been reading TW for about 18 months and you come across as someone who has grown up with soccer all his life.

Welcome to all our American supporters old and new and if you talk as much sense as JC, then I hope youÂ’re here for the long haul.

Tony Abrahams
73 Posted 03/07/2014 at 17:34:00
Shane,

Maybe you were chosen for that very thing, mate, loyalty! I take my hat off to any Evertonian but those who have to travel far just to get to a home game always earn more respect off me.

When Evertonians slag all the foreigners at Anfield, I think it’s just a subtle dig at all the scouse kopites who go on about the 30,000 people they are supposed to have on their season ticket waiting list... "How come they can get to Anfield and youse can’t???" – if you get the jist!

Brian Bleck
74 Posted 03/07/2014 at 17:41:16
Count me as one of these new bloods. Still wet behind the ears when it comes to football but totally smitten with the sport. Howard and Rog were my impetus to investigate the School of Science and now, weeks later, IÂ’ve spent all my free time consuming YouTube videos of goals/results from last season, the latest updates of this summerÂ’s transfer rumors, the history of EFC, learning how Academies work, how the Uefa competitions work, etc.

I love many sports but I have never looked forward to the start of a sporting season as much as I look forward to 16 August 2014 against Leicester City. EFC is all at once a club that is entirely new to me and one that has annexed my sporting loyalty so completely that it feels like I was born a fan. Go Blues!

Geoffrey Caveney
75 Posted 03/07/2014 at 18:26:43
Hi Brian (74), you and me both! I would add listening to rousing renditions of "Royal Blue Mersey" on YouTube and ordering my Gwladys Street L4 T-shirt.

As for Uefa competitions, here is my understanding of how the schedule will unfold: either we finish top 4 in the Premier League or we win this yearÂ’s Uefa Europa League to qualify for the 2015-16 Uefa Champions League. Then, possibly after winning a Play-off in August 2015, we progress through the group stage in the fall of next year. Then we win the Round of 16 in Feb/March 2016 followed by the quarterfinal in April, advancing to the semifinal in May 2016. Win or lose at that stage, we repeat the process in 2016-17. Up the Blues!

Mike Childs
76 Posted 03/07/2014 at 19:00:48
Just a shout out for us older USA fans as IÂ’m about to turn 61 this month and my biggest regret is that I didnÂ’t really understand and appreciate the real game of football until I was 56.
Dave Lynch
77 Posted 03/07/2014 at 19:39:15
Geoff@75.

If only it was that easy my friend but welcome aboard anyway.

John Schrempft
78 Posted 03/07/2014 at 19:41:40
I, like Eugene have lived abroad for at least the last 41 years: 6 Years in South Africa and 35 in Switzerland. Yes, I'm also an ex-pat who was born and brought up in Liverpool and North Wales. In fact, intiially I would go to both Goodison and Anfield, but soon settled for the blues.

If you know your history:......

So much has changed during the last 5 and a bit decades. From the Tofffees being the top dogs and the dark side languishing in the then 2nd division.

Goodison being a World Cup stadium etc, etc but you DO know your history...

How things have changed and unfortunately not yet for the bettter.

I would of course prefer to see Everton being compared to Athletico Madrid just now, rather than Espagnol Barcelona, Juventus even, rather than Torino.... The list could go on...

Every American supporter will be a bonus for our club. Their open, friendly and hospitable manner etc, etc.We could get someone to invest in the Toffees too. Dare I say it LFC managed it. Moreover although the USA is known as a violent country with guns everywhere, they don't have soccer hooligans like in Europe. There however,the Toffees have behaved, on average, better than the dark side's supporters over the last 50 years

We mustn't denigrate Toffee Supporters from ANY country if they support us and I still look forward to the day when people all over the world will say:

Oh, you come from Liverpool, isn't that the city in England with Everton football club?
Yes, I'll say. There is another club in the area. They're called Tranmere Rovers

Geoffrey Caveney
79 Posted 03/07/2014 at 20:30:18
Thank you Dave@77, and I appreciate the cautionary note. Just trying to think positive. Nil Satis Nisi Optimism!
Jamie Crowley
80 Posted 03/07/2014 at 20:35:43
Geoffrey -

You've got the jist of it. Top 4 is basically the Holy Grail. But don't say that too loudly - the Holy Grail is a title. Top 4 gets you $$... Being satisfied with top 7 to 8 will get you lynched be forewarned.

Brian -

It will become an addiction. Trust me.

Tony Abrahams -

That may be the single nicest compliment I've ever received here. TY. I grew up playing hockey...

Still pisses me off when someone comes in knee-high with a leg breaker - why the player on the receiving end can't beat the living shit out of the dirty bastard is a mystery to me. I digress...

Dave Lynch
81 Posted 03/07/2014 at 20:58:56
We slag kopites off because We Can! and Should!

They are after all the bastard sons of Everton, have no grace, a self righteous and victim mentality complex and are generally obnoxious twats ( the majority of them anyway ).

It's like having a little brother a couple of years younger and smaller than you, he's there to be beaten up at every opportunity and mocked on a daily basis.

Tony Abrahams
82 Posted 03/07/2014 at 21:19:01
I know what you’re saying, Jamie, but it’s not something you see much of these days. Diving is the thing that I hate most and the sooner it’s eradicated, the better the game will become.

The comment I hear the most, is that you can’t put in a tackle like that in your own box, even though it’s clear that the attacker is just waiting to dive.

To many ex pro’s have turned gamekeepers, to earn a fortune telling us nothing, except a load of bollocks. If they eradicate diving, most of these phoney bastards will be out of a job and football to me will become a lot more enjoyable.

Kevin Tully
83 Posted 03/07/2014 at 22:11:11
This should get you American boys interested in Everton (All our goals from last season, please forward to anyone looking for a team!)

Link

Kevin Tully
84 Posted 03/07/2014 at 22:17:41
Broken link, try this ;

Mike Gaynes
85 Posted 03/07/2014 at 22:35:35
KT, love that. Cheers.

Jamie, don't know what gave you the idea, but this is one of the best threads EVER on TW.

Standing ovation.

Geoffrey Caveney
86 Posted 03/07/2014 at 22:50:51
Thanks Kevin. Beautiful attacking play and goals.

To me, the video basically looks like a replay of Belgium-USA, but with no Tim Howard.

Jamie Crowley
89 Posted 03/07/2014 at 23:40:25
Tony A. -

The GEM that I hear which just puts my hair on end is "there was contact so he has every right to go down and draw the penalty..."

REALLY!?? Honest to God it drives me fucking mad. So... a guy, say, steps on the edge of your foot (Robben you douche) and you're allowed to (even have a rightful claim to) dive and chuck your hands in the air embellishing the shit out of it to draw the PK, EVEN THOUGH you could have stayed up and finished the play / kept on playing?

God... drives me nuts.

Mike G – best thread ever? Surely you remember the time we signed Kev Johnson? This is nowhere close to that. :0)

Si Cooper
90 Posted 03/07/2014 at 23:40:38
Shane, I actually try to vigorously oppose any elements of what could be seen as a caste system among Evertonians. Match-going, armchair, local or international – none of that should matter as long as the 'heart and soul' are of the required composition.

Personally, I love the fact that our club can enchant people around the world and I welcome anyone with passion and a tolerance for a bit of vigorous debate.

Julian Wait
91 Posted 04/07/2014 at 00:01:09
I think most of us would agree that if you're an Evertonian for the right reasons, and in it for the long haul, that you are no better or worse than any other Evertonian. You're an Evertonian, and I agree with the comment above, there is no caste system.

If you're only here while Tim Howard is here, then welcome and enjoy the ride. You're not a fair weather fan per se, but one of the many global soccer/footy fans who associate themselves with a player (Beckham, Drogba, Ronaldo, Messi) rather than club. I've seen that in the USA, in Asia and in Mexico, and with kids in the UK when I was young; all that means is that you're not an Evertonian... at least NOT YET an Evertonian.

I think some who come to us now, will leave when TH1 is done, but those that stay, they will do so because they won't be able to do anything else, they'll have understood what it means, and they won't bear to leave, whether TH1 is still here or not.

So you pay to go to the game? Sacrifice and investment in the club? Being a supporter is not as simple as it might seem. Many around the world change their schedules, holidays, invest in cable/satellite or get up at ridiculous times of the day, or – like the fella from Malaysia – come all the way to not even see a game, and we are envious of those that get to go to the game every two weeks, or every week even.

I miss going to the match more than anything else in the UK, except (perhaps?) my family. ;-) (Sorry, mum!)

I think as Evertonians, for the most part, we believe in the club and in the game, and while you could argue it's because we don't have oil/oligarch/patriarch money or a world class outfield player (but we do have a world class goalie, and Ross has potential!), we just think we're better (not bitter), and we believe in the moral high ground, perhaps believing in long term Karma and the path being as important as the destination.

You can keep your Suarez or Robben, your "consultant" Beckenbauer, your Sheikhs, your Qatar and your Russians and your Blatter and Platini power brokers.

I wouldn't take all the poisoned money or tainted players in the world to get a title; I would rather we do it the right way and fail, and hold our heads up high, than to take the path to the dark side.

Now, Jedi, are you a bluenose or not? Look deep inside and you will find the answer you seek....

Jamie Crowley
92 Posted 04/07/2014 at 00:36:00
Julian -

That comment should be printed and framed.
Simply Outstanding.

Kevin Tully -

Your YouTube link to the goals reminded me of a few things:

● Anyone thinking Lukaku isn't worth 㿀 to 25 million is cuckoo.
● The Oviedo goal at OT was just the highlight of the season. I was so happy, especially for all the craddle-born Blues who so deserved that moment and had waited so long for it,
● The Arsenal game was arguably the greatest performance I've seen in my 8 years by Everton
● Don't know why but I thought... I want to WIN the Europa League next season. Win it. Entry to CL and I hope to God we take it so seriously and win the damn thing.

Thank you for the link.

Daniel Flosi
93 Posted 04/07/2014 at 00:55:51
Well I'd just like to say I'll do my part in the corner of the US in which I live by wearing my Everton jersey and scarf around town!

Which reminds me, Sam (38), I was only able to acquire it through Everton.com which is a bit disappointing. I even visited a few soccer shops out here and one guy told me Nike didn't offer Everton jerseys to order or something to that effect. Maybe that will change with a new kit maker and this new flourish of attention.

Also living in Seattle and also supporting the Sounders, I think Yedlin could just be the real deal and I would be excited to see him develop as a blue!

Oh, one more thing, don't YouTube Jimmy Kimmel's lie-witness news regarding the new USA soccer fans and the USA team and Landon Donovan!

Daniel Flosi
94 Posted 04/07/2014 at 01:10:21
Oh and I forgot the best thing for me about getting the opportunity to pick a club rather than being born into it is bringing up my kid(s) with the best choice of a club and knowing that there won't be another Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, or Redshite scum fan walking the globe (if you do it right)!!!

Thanks to the TWers for being inviting and I must say most knowledgeable about their club in my limited experience.

Mike Gaynes
95 Posted 04/07/2014 at 01:17:35
Hey guys, guess what... turns out the Everton marketing department isn't completely comatose. They're using social media to market Everton kit based on Howard.

Jamie, I missed the famous Kev Johnson thread, but I've heard the legends. Still think you nailed this one. So I grant you honor. From now on, to me, you're "Mix" Crowley. What higher praise, right?

Gavin Ramejkis
96 Posted 04/07/2014 at 02:06:02
The only trouble with marketing the kit now, Mike, is that Elstone and Co royally fucked up the Kitbag deal – the sort of deal any other company would have given you a P45 for. The club get virtually no profit from it whatsoever. They should have cut their losses and Elstone and employed those that can rather than those that brown-nose Bill.
Julian Wait
97 Posted 04/07/2014 at 02:04:54
Jamie - thank you, kind words indeed.

Hoping that the recent TH1 press results in some more Stateside tours; I wasn't able to attend the last one as I had just changed jobs and taken a long holiday, all planned before it was announced (we need more notice please before these things!).

Any new Toffees that live in or find their way to Texas, they can come watch a game with me sometime in Austin. :-)

(Speaking of which, that reminds me, I would love a way of finding / contacting fans by location .... when traveling, for newbies to get info on bars etc.)

Jamie Crowley
99 Posted 04/07/2014 at 11:35:06
Mike,

It's great the Club is reaching out to new American fans. But there's something in your link to get very frustrated about... We can't get an Everton jersey in a retail store!

Many have lamented this fact here and they are so on the mark. Little kids at the fields – thousands of them – wear their Man Utd, Chelsea, RS jerseys that mom picks up while she's out at Dicks (huge sporting retail shop here in States). She can't get the damn Everton jersey! It's NOT AN OPTION!

Why we EVER agreed, read re-agreed, to sign a deal that gives us ZERO retail presence is astonishing! CRIMINAL! We are missing out on thousands of potential new young fans – the next generation. Moms don't always turn around when they can't find the jersey little Timmy asks for on the rack and buy it online. And those kids wearing those jerseys are grass roots advertising of the highest level.

It's honestly the single biggest error in judgement out board is making.

Tony Abrahams
100 Posted 04/07/2014 at 15:37:18
I would take 16th in the Premier League next season if it meant Everton winning The Europa League and I’m sure it’s a competition that we will take very seriously. Imagine thousands of Evertonians going crackers in Krakow?

We’re a patient lot us Toffees haha, but it’s about time the younger generation saw us win a cup again. Get saving, our American friends... because if it’s going to happen, I don’t want anyone to miss out!!

Geoffrey Caveney
101 Posted 05/07/2014 at 14:44:34
One more thought about being gentle with new American fans, from a new American fan: It may take us a little time to outfit ourselves in a properly blue wardrobe, and get the red out of it.

Here in America, a sports fan typically has his high school team colours, college team colours, and a pro American football, baseball, basketball, and possibly hockey team, which may each have different and opposite colours in the same city.

For example, a northside Chicago baseball fan wears blue for the Cubs and hates Cardinal red (perfect!), and navy for the Bears, but come basketball and hockey season he wears red for the Bulls and Blackhawks. The St Louis baseball fan in Cardinal red turns around and cheers for Blues hockey and the blue Rams.

I don't know if English sports fans have to deal with such schizophrenic seasonal colour changes, but it's a fact of life in American sports to be aware of.

Dave Lynch
102 Posted 05/07/2014 at 15:26:48
Geoff.

Football is far and away the biggest sport here in Blighty.

Hockey, NFL and basketball are very much minority sports and we don't play baseball at all at any serious competitive level.

The nearest sport to popularity would probably be cricket and other than 1 day games the players all wear white so colour clash is never a problem.

Andrew Ellams
103 Posted 05/07/2014 at 16:02:20
Actually Dave in these days of coloured clothing in cricket, Lancashire the team probably supported by any fans in North West area wear red.
Gerry Quinn
104 Posted 05/07/2014 at 16:05:25
Re the article titled "Everton – America's Team" - of course, such a fabulous history to persuade the American fans, but, my oh my, did it miss out the following fact which is yet another first and would be of great satisfaction to any potential American fan:

On 23 October 1924, 2,000 spectators at Goodison Park, witnessed US baseball teams Chicago White Sox and New York Giants participate in an exhibition match. One player managed to hit a ball clear over the large Goodison Road Stand.

Jeff Gwilliams
105 Posted 05/07/2014 at 16:29:16
This video gives a bit of a feel for the club that you won't see anywhere else:

Geoffrey Caveney
106 Posted 05/07/2014 at 16:26:57
Thanks Dave (102), that makes sense. Here in the States it is different. I'm just giving folks a heads up that Yanks will have a harder time swallowing the idea of rooting for one color and against the other across the board. We'll have to spin it as, in soccer root for blue and against red. Folks here will still wear whatever colour for other sports. I'd think we wouldn't want to cut ourselves off from all of those fans.

But don't get me wrong. I'm wearing my royal blue shirt every freakin' day right now.

Dave Lynch
107 Posted 06/07/2014 at 12:31:35
Andy.

Only in 1-day games or limited over... Still have to wear white for county matches.