Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Are You Watching, Young Blues?

by   |   03/07/2014  Comments (79)  jump

After a disastrous 11-month spell at Old Trafford, it's now being widely reported that Marouane Fellaini has been put up for sale by the new Man Utd manager, Louis van Gaal.

Van Gaal is being quoted as saying that Fellaini is 'Not a Utd type player.' Leighton Baines must be thinking how lucky he was not to commit to a move to Man Utd alongside the curly-haired Belgian.

I used to read some of the comments regarding Fellaini from Man Utd fans, and quite frankly, he became a laughing stock. Those glory-hunting fans turn on a player in an instant, you are not allowed a few poor games, or a settling-in period. (I suppose for £27.5M they are right to expect world class performances!) His price tag was not his fault though, and he certainly wasn't as effective playing in a deeper midfield role.

I hope that the likes of Ross Barkley, James McCarthy and John Stones are well aware of how your career can implode in such a short space of time. I would even point to Jack Rodwell, the forgotten man of Manchester City, and now he is available on a free transfer.

I hope Fellaini finds a new club that will give him the support to enable him to get his confidence back, but there are very few clubs like Everton out there. Players and managers alike should never take our support and immense loyalty for granted – Evertonians make you great!

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments back

Reader Comments (79)

Geoffrey Caveney
1 Posted 03/07/2014 at 16:08:35
Will we make a play to buy Fellaini back? It could be economical for our club: Surely there was some overstock of Fellaini wigs remaining, which could be sold again if he returns...
Brian Harrison
2 Posted 03/07/2014 at 16:21:44
I still have to pinch myself when I think a club paid us 㿇.5 million for him. I mean he is not good enough to play up front and he is never a decent midfield player.

I have to say again, 㿇.5 million... so thank you, David Moyes. After the World Cup, they will be lucky to get 㾻 million – and I mean very lucky.

Shane Corcoran
3 Posted 03/07/2014 at 16:28:07
Kevin, if Stones, McCarthy or Barkely moved to United you could see all three of them being successful there. I could never see how Fellaini could have excelled. If ever there was a panic buy by Moyes, this was it.
Dave Roberts
4 Posted 03/07/2014 at 16:24:53
Funny thing is though, this time last year there were many, even a majority of Blues, who were panicking at the prospect of us losing Fellaini.

I agree, he didnÂ’t have a good season at United but I canÂ’t imagine a more difficult scenario for a player to move into....a club where the manager was not respected or even liked by the players and being asked to play in totally different role to the one he was used to with Everton and then having a long lay-off with injury.

I know he could be inconsistent and his running style makes him look lazy but overall he was a good player for us and his positive contributions outweigh the negative. IÂ’d have him back for about ٣ million quid!....leaving us an overall profit on the deal of 㿂m!!

Tony J Williams
5 Posted 03/07/2014 at 16:31:07
I think he is one of the scapegoats for the older players not being able to hack it any more and the big ego players deciding Moyes wasnÂ’t good enough for them and not performing for him.

He didnÂ’t really get a chance at the start and then he was out for some time with an injury. Then peoples mind were made up and he got a bit part in the run.

He is a very good player, hence he wouldnÂ’t be playing for Belgium. I note the bellend Townsend was slating him against USA, acting all amazed as to why he hadnÂ’t been subbed and he offered nothing.

That prick really needs to stop getting his views from teh redtops

Jamie Crowley
6 Posted 03/07/2014 at 16:33:16
IÂ’d have the fro back in a New York minute.

I always liked him and I do think heÂ’s one hell of a footballer. His skill set is a bit specialized as heÂ’s really a strange hybrid of target man and attacking midfielder IMO. But I think Roberto could do a lot with him. HeÂ’d be an asset.

One negative - his best role is where IÂ’d like to see Barkley played... so weÂ’ll probably not be interested. HeÂ’ll also go for too much money. We can find more economical players that fit our system and not have to "retro-fit" Felliani back into the way we now play.

But if money wasnÂ’t an obstacle IÂ’d welcome him back with open arms.

Andrew Ellams
7 Posted 03/07/2014 at 16:35:48
IÂ’m not sure how he would fit into the current setup. I think this will be the end of Fellaini in English football.
Julian Wait
8 Posted 03/07/2014 at 16:35:34
I think he played quite well against the USA without doing anything spectacular. He basically disrupted the USA and moved the ball around well, as well as showing how can be an outlet when under pressure. Admittedly the USA didnÂ’t offer much of a threat for 105 minutes and Belgium were completely on top.

He seems likely to go to some big money Eastern European club to me .... or perhaps a German club similar to Everton. I donÂ’t think he will stay in the UK.

Patrick Murphy
9 Posted 03/07/2014 at 16:39:35
DonÂ’t get me wrong for the most part Felliani was good for Everton, but I just canÂ’t see him fitting RobertoÂ’s blueprint - I always believed that he would fit into Arsene WengerÂ’s system but his greatest drawback is his lack of pace. The lad can play but he tends to get frustrated and his game suffers when he does a good player for Everton at the time but not a player for Everton in the present or the future. I donÂ’t really know where he could ply his trade and show his abilities off to the max unless of course his former manager gets himself a plum job in Europe.
Dave Roberts
10 Posted 03/07/2014 at 16:37:20
Tony,

At the same time the bellend was bigging up Mirallas when he came on and that was the only thing that stopped me turning the sound off. IÂ’d still gladly strangle the git though....especially after him criticizing Barkley for setting up that goal for the new redshite benchwarmer.

It was like a teacher giving you 99% and saying Â’but thatÂ’s not good enoughÂ’ and giving you a detention.

Prick.

Sam Morrison
11 Posted 03/07/2014 at 16:43:51
Jamie@6, I respectfully disagree; I have fond memories of Fellaini but I don’t see him slotting in here again from a playing perspective. He doesn’t have Barry’s range of passing or McCarthy’s energy – though to be fair he does cover a lot of ground. I wish him the best but I don’t see him as a Martinez player.
Paul Andrews
12 Posted 03/07/2014 at 17:01:46
Perhaps David Moyes will sign him for Galatasary.

Not good enough to play in our midfield. Too slow, needs three touches to get the ball under control.

Linda Morrison
13 Posted 03/07/2014 at 16:57:51
I canÂ’t see this being a goer on a number of fronts. It would be too much humble pie for the player to swallow. Although Man Utd want rid of him, they will not sell to Everton on the cheap.

He is a player who could be dazzling at times but there were so many other occasions when he could frustrate, remember all the times we panicked over those elbows poking at other players. Martinez expects 100% every game from his team and I do not think he will get it from him.

HeÂ’ll go abroad I think. IÂ’ not worried about the young ones at all. I think you will see them all committing to adult contracts with adult pay rates before the end of the summer youÂ’ll see.

I bet Bainsey thanks his lucky stars every day he s,tayed at Everton. To play for Man Utd, you need to have exceptionally thick skin. I think it will be just as bad this season and, whatever people on this site think about Moyes, it will show it was not him always at fault but the team.

Steavey Buckley
14 Posted 03/07/2014 at 17:15:37
Fellaini scored 11 goals in 30 league matches from midfield during the 2012-13 season. And for 㾶 million, Fellaini would be a bargain!
Paul Andrews
15 Posted 03/07/2014 at 17:26:31
Steavey,

Fellaini didnÂ’t play in midfield for the majority of the season he scored the goals.

Jack Plant
16 Posted 03/07/2014 at 17:27:25
I think Jack Rodwell is the better example. Fellaini was never going to fit in with the Martinez style of play so it might have been a good move for him, it just didnÂ’t work out. Rodwell on the other hand thought he was moving onto bigger and better things but clearly the worst thing for a young player is to go to a club where they are just going to sit on the bench. Where was he at the world cup? IÂ’d take him back though, in the long run I think he could be a good partner for Stones at the back.
Tony Doran
17 Posted 03/07/2014 at 17:30:07
IÂ’d take him back on loan with his European experience. He might get his form back as it would be last chance saloon in the Prem. I bet his wages are not that high but itÂ’s wether he fits RobertoÂ’s way of playing.
Richard Dodd
18 Posted 03/07/2014 at 17:34:03
Fellaini was always a very popular member of our team and so many on here resented his moving on. Although he spent much time in a more withdrawn role, he was most effective when playing in support of the lone striker.

Why do people like to re-construct history – particularly in respect of last season’s defections to Manchester United?

Would I have him back? No way. Like my hero Moyes, he is consigned to Everton history.

Raymond Fox
20 Posted 03/07/2014 at 17:52:32
I donÂ’t think Roberto would have him back at any price, heÂ’s not the type of player that fits in with how the manager wants to play.
Moyes was never a Utd manager, nor Fellaini a Utd player.
㿇.5million was all the clubs ChristmasÂ’s coming at once.

That said, with a club that plays a system that he can excel in, he is still an a highly effective player.

Paul Andrews
22 Posted 03/07/2014 at 18:15:39
West Ham ?
Mike Childs
23 Posted 03/07/2014 at 18:19:53
Tony D. (17) I read Fellaini was on 𧵢k per week wages in an article I read during the season on EPL high wage players.
Colin Glassar
24 Posted 03/07/2014 at 18:22:17
In a way, I feel a bit sorry for him as I always liked him as an Everton player. I think he will have to go back to Europe as I canÂ’t see anyone being interested over here. Big Sam might fancy him.
Darryl Ritchie
25 Posted 03/07/2014 at 18:27:17
There are none better than Fellaini when it comes to controlling the long ball. He has the "softest" chest in football.
He was a huge cog in Moyes attacking tactics. It explains the big money move.

I donÂ’t think Roberto will make a move for him. He just doesnÂ’t fit RobertoÂ’s possession style.

Although "plan C" would be nice when A and B arenÂ’t working.

Derek Turner
26 Posted 03/07/2014 at 18:42:05
Hey Doddy, whats up?

As for Fellaini, I just remember pre-season after Stones (I think) scored against Juve, everyone ecstatic, except him pulling "IÂ’m too good for you, let me go." Even if I disremeber the occasion (yes,gin English), the image is there.

Robert Workman
27 Posted 03/07/2014 at 19:03:26
Although Fellaini was never my favourite player, Everton benefitted from most of his performances - and goals.

I actually felt sorry for him at Utd. He never really had a chance to play. What was incredible was that the guy who bought him knew exactly what his best role was and yet did not have the nerve to play him there for Utd.
Its as if the job and his Everton purchase combined were just too much for Moyes and, as a consequence, Fellaini suffered.

I am sure that his performances in the World Cup will have attracted a few European teams.

However when/if he reflects he may think back to his Everton career and wonder ......... what if?

Dennis Stevens
28 Posted 03/07/2014 at 19:16:37
Transfers are a gamble for both the buying club & the player moving. I canÂ’t help but wonder whether both Lescott & Rodwell would have been in the England World Cup squad had they remained at Everton, but they may feel more than adequately compensated for that particular disappointment.
Denis Richardson
29 Posted 03/07/2014 at 18:26:26
The only way I can see Fellaini still in the prem next season is if Manu canÂ’t find a taker for him. I think they will eventually manage to get rid of him this summer and wouldnt be surprised if he goes for as low as 10m or even just on loan.

He always fancied himsefl at a Â’champions league clubÂ’ so can see him moving on to a mid level European club in spain or germany.

Would I have him back? No, not even on a free. HeÂ’s one of the best players in the world at bringing down the high ball and getting flick ons but that just isnÂ’t the way we now play (or the way I want us to play). Other skills are average.

HeÂ’d be perfect for an Alladyce side.

Sean Kelly
30 Posted 03/07/2014 at 21:31:41
Fellaini is not our type of player anymore. He doesn’t fit the system. We need someone in midfield with pace who has a decent first touch and will spring defence into attack at a better pace than we have been doing.

Sorry but Fellaini doesn’t tick any of those boxes – not even for 㾶M or on loan.

Richard Reeves
31 Posted 03/07/2014 at 20:49:11
Fellaini was never worth the money we or Man Utd paid for him but I would like to think Martinez wouldnÂ’t want him back even at a bargain price. He was effective for us and could definitely change a game but he doesnÂ’t move enough in that defensive midfield area (something McCarthy and Barry know all to well) or pass well enough to be in a Martinez team. Behind the striker, I think Martinez wants a different type of player, someone more skillful.

Fellaini is a good player and good at what he does best but heÂ’s too sluggish or at least looks too sluggish/awkward and the style of play is less fluid with him in the team which is something else important to Martinez, having a style of play that is attractive to watch.

Mike Childs
32 Posted 03/07/2014 at 22:28:19
I totally agree, Denis. He is the perfect OFM/SA player but not even close to being the type of player Roberto likes. I believe he’ll find a place with another squad but, if the article I read was correct and he is on 𧵢k a week, then United is going to have to pay some of that or hold onto him. Either way as long as it hurts United I’m happy.
Michael Penley
33 Posted 04/07/2014 at 00:57:57
Watching him play for Belgium, I thought he has been one of their best players. He looks a lot more energetic and less "couldn’t care less" than he did at times for us. Is this just what the World Cup does to you or has he changed?

I also think his inclusion in the Belgium side proves he can play different roles, given a certain amount of freedom (that Moyes didn’t give him). He was involved in the action all over the park. I’m still uncertain whether I’d take him back but I’d trust Roberto’s judgement on that.

Ant Dwyer
34 Posted 04/07/2014 at 01:12:19
Other than Rooney, I canÂ’t really think of one other player who has left us to become a better footballer. Okay, Joleon Lescott won a league medal, fair play, but at what cost? At Everton, he was absolutely brilliant, surely he would have been a must for the last few England tournaments! The rest in the last 10 to 15 years have all flopped.

That said, I would defo take Fellaini back; in the current market, we would have a bargain at 㾻M I think. Great engine, great leap, composed, a decent passer, an even better recycler of a ball, and a really good ball winner. He had Yaya Toure wrapped up every time we met them too, which isnÂ’t something many players can say!

I think heÂ’d be a great signing to go with Barkley and McCarthy.

Tim Greeley
35 Posted 04/07/2014 at 01:54:59
Fellaini was probably our most influential player in his last two seasons here (Baines being the other). Unfortunately for him, he bigged himself up in his head past Everton, then had all the pieces fall together for an ultimately disastrous move to Man Utd. He is very talented but his talents are unique and need to be played to; otherwise, he can become frustrated.

Watching him for Man Utd last season was genuinely sad.. he looked awful almost every time. Just one year after he was the best player on the pitch against a decidedly superior Man Utd side when he was with us.

His play in the World Cup has shown he is much better than what he showed at Man Utd, but it’s difficult to predict what comes next for Fellaini.

James Flynn
36 Posted 04/07/2014 at 02:56:37
For half the price we sold him for, get him right back in. Terrific player and fuck Man Utd.

Van Gaal (mouthing the Glazers) quoted saying Fellaini is not a Man Utd type player? Whatever that’s supposed to mean, delighted. Hope that quote is true and he comes back to Everton.

What, 㾹 million? Cash or check? Terrific business if we could get him back in.

John Daley
37 Posted 04/07/2014 at 03:42:02
The most baffling thing about Fellaini flopping at Man Utd is the fact that the guy who signed him twice, shelled out 㿖m in transfer fees for him and oversaw his playing career for five years, seemingly had no fucking clue what he was actually getting:

"I thought I was signing a No 8! — David Moyes lifts lid on Marouane Fellaini.

"David Moyes has opened up about signing Marouane Fellaini when he was manager of Manchester United and has claimed he thought he was signing someone of the ilk of Chelsea’s Frank Lampard."

Ernie Baywood
38 Posted 04/07/2014 at 05:46:15
At the right price, I’d take him, but consign the days of the starting XI emergency centre forward to the bin – which wouldn’t be in doubt under Roberto.

He’s a very good defensive midfielder, coming into his prime. Just basically missed a year out of his development but, at 27/28, I don’t see why he can’t become that dominant midfielder I thought he was going to be in the year after we signed him. People forget that he did put in some excellent midfield displays.

My only nagging doubt with him is that when the going gets tough, he throws strops instead of digging in. Maybe that’s something he can develop with age.

Darren Hind
39 Posted 04/07/2014 at 06:45:15
I always thought he would be perfect for the Shite. He has an unusual skill, in as much that few players (ever) have been able to take the ball on their chest as well as he can... and he’s strong enough to hold players off as support arrives.

I know he ’s not exactly a Brenda type of player, but he would gobble up crease heads 40-yard diagonals and feed their little speed merchants... what a horrible thought.

I don’t think Barkley or Stones will learn from the Big Fella’s painful lesson; we all need to make our own mistakes, but at this stage of their careers, leaving Everton, would be (IMO) a huge mistake.

Ajay Gopal
40 Posted 04/07/2014 at 07:33:23
I think his (dad’s) ego won’t let him come back to Everton. If he is humble enough to acknowledge that Everton was and will be good for him, and he is available at a price around 㾸 million (plus reasonable wages @ 㿞k per week), I would have him back. But IRWT...
Paul Andrews
41 Posted 04/07/2014 at 07:46:39
Mentioned a few times above.

If having a good chest makes you worth 㿇.5 million, we should put a bid in for Dolly Parton.

Eric Myles
42 Posted 04/07/2014 at 07:57:15
Nice one Paul, she could probably pass sideways as good as him too!!
Paul Turner
43 Posted 04/07/2014 at 10:19:55
#33 Michael

I agree, Fellaini looks much more "like it" playing for Belgium; maybe it’s the World Cup and the effect of playing for his country... maybe his mindset has changed... or maybe the worldwide TV coverage is the best possible shop window in which to show his talent?

If I were his agent, I’d be telling him to "Go out there and show the world what you can do."

Chris James
44 Posted 04/07/2014 at 10:36:54
Fellaini coming back makes no sense for either side.

I think Rodwell on a free transfer has legs though (just wish he did!)

I’d be interested who else was in the Old Traffor clearout, Hernandez is the sort of of player that I think would work brilliantly with Martinez at Everton. Quick, smart, good eye for goal will get into positions and contribute to play but not a target man.

Mark Murphy
45 Posted 04/07/2014 at 11:26:21
"Other than Rooney, I can’t really think of one other player who has left us to become a better footballer."

I strongly disagree! Rooney is nowhere near the player he should be. When we saw him for Everton, he was destined to be a world beater. Now he’s on the cusp of losing his place in a mediocre England team.

The player who plucked the ball out of the sky on the touchline at Fulham, mesmerised that poor sod at West Brom and scored that wonder goal v Arsenal evolved into a better-than-average player – but not a world beater!

It makes me sick to hear how Sir Alex Ferguson nurtured him! He turned him into a cog in a wheel rather than the out-and-out star he could’ve and should’ve been!

Andrew Ellams
46 Posted 04/07/2014 at 11:44:03
Exactly, Mark. In Euro 2014 he terrorised the French back four, running at then from deep and putting them on the back foot for the whole game. He looked like he the ability to be the Maradona-type player that England really needed. Then Ferguson got hold of him and coached all that natural flair and ability out of him and, as you say, turned him into an above average player.

If Rooney had gone to Spain at 18, he would be one of the best players in the world right now.

Dave Roberts
47 Posted 04/07/2014 at 11:40:42
Mark,

Absolutely spot on. For his development as a player, it was the worst thing he could have done to go to Manure.

But his bank balance and medal haul felt the benefit though.

Brian Denton
48 Posted 04/07/2014 at 11:53:37
Mark Murphy, yes I agree. Admittedly looking through blue-tinted spectacles, I really thought he was going to be in the Best/Maradona class. Probably he was never that good, but I don’t think he quite achieved his potential.
Chris Leyland
49 Posted 04/07/2014 at 12:32:03
So, apart from:
● Earning himself 𧷤 grand a week making him the highest paid player in the Premier League;
● Having a medal collection consisting of 5 league wins, 1 Champions league win, 2 league cups and a Fifa World Club Champions win;
● Scoring 216 times in 442 appearances for Man Utd, including a goal ratio in the Premier League for them of better than one goal every two games (158 in 307 games);
● Being 4th on England’s all-time top goalscorer list and the 9th most capped England player of all time....

What the fuck has Rooney got to show for himself since leaving us?

Brian Denton
50 Posted 04/07/2014 at 12:54:26
Chris, erm.... I don’t think anyone ever denied that Rooney improved himself financially or in terms of a medal haul by joining Man Utd. My views are in relation to his footballing development and, in those terms, do you believe that the 17-year-old Rooney did achieve his potential, ie, setting the world alight on the world stage?

His Champions League winners medal was hardly achieved (in that appalling final v Chelsea) by a performance in the Puskas/Di Stefano class!

Phil Roberts
51 Posted 04/07/2014 at 12:57:36
I still love the memory of when he robbed Bellamy with the sole-of-the-boot pirouette. Probably one of the best bits of skills ever seen, especially when you factor in the size of the guy.
James Hughes
52 Posted 04/07/2014 at 13:07:12
I would like to add the great Nick Barmby to the mix,
Career resurrected at Goodison, playing well and playing for England because of his performances for us, then the infamous;-

"I want to play for Liverpool, I have always been a fan of them."

Very quickly disappears up his own ass-hole and from top flight football. Dodgy place, that Anfield...

Tom Bowers
53 Posted 04/07/2014 at 13:35:59
Although Fellaini did have a purple patch at Everton, he is still very much an average player. That purple patch enabled Everton to still get good compensation for him after his poor first season at Goodison. Now Man Utd have been stung by Fellaini’s limitations so he was a good sell by the Blues thanks to DM moving to them.

Rooney on the other hand has been a great player although just the last two seasons for different reasons he has not been at his best.

Tony Abrahams
54 Posted 04/07/2014 at 13:37:52
Fellaini would not fit into a Martinez team so I donÂ’t think he will be coming back to Everton.

Michael 33: I think Moyes gave Fellaini too much freedom in his last season at Goodison, and there was many a time I couldnÂ’t work out what his position was.

Chris 49: Rooney has had a great career, but it was his individual brilliance that was sacrificed, the minute he left Everton. I honestly think the kid has lost his fire and only a chance to play and make up to the fans he deserted could rekindle it?

Mark Murphy
55 Posted 04/07/2014 at 13:43:21
Chris, absolutely... but that wasn’t my point. He isn’t as good a footballer as he should have been. He’d’ve won fuck all with us and I’m not saying we would’ve made him better but Man Utd did NOT improve him as a footballer.

Nor did that great mentor of men, SAF, take him under his wing and protect and nurture him to maturity like the press claimed he would and that, by inference Everton couldn’t.

I saw him and thought Maradona, Cruyff, Best ... I don’t think of Barkley like that. Now Rooney is not even a Gascoigne for me.

Ray Robinson
56 Posted 04/07/2014 at 13:49:00
I wouldn’t have Fellaini back at any cost. His strength is in playing an advanced role where the ball is moved from back to front quickly and he gets involved in an aerial challenge. Martinez has evolved Everton’s style with more emphasis on passing the ball through midfield.

For this style of play, Fellaini is too cumbersome and would slow Everton’s approach play to a snail’s pace. He might currently suit a West Ham style of play but not ours. All round, he’s too limited a player and far too slow to cut it with the really big boys. He was a big fish in a little pond but even we’re a lake now.

Chris Leyland
57 Posted 04/07/2014 at 13:56:50
Brian, Mark - it is an interesting argument as to whether Rooney has fulfilled his potential and become the great player he was supposedly destined to be. The problem with the argument is that we will never know if he could have been any better than he actually became will we?

Yes, he had flashes of pure genius when he was with us but that is all they really were and for every Arsenal goal, great dribble etc, there were 4 or 5 average (at best) performances in what statistically speaking became the worst Everton team of all time.

To me Ryan Giggs is also similar story. I personally don’t think he became the top, top player he could have been when he was a teenager but then again he went on and played over 900 top level games and has won more medals than anyone else.

Joe Cole is another case too. When he was a teenager people used to drool over what he could do, yet he never really went on to be a great player.

The next one is going to be Ross Barkley and whether he goes on to fulfill his full potential. Let’s hope that he is the one and he does it in an Everton shirt.

Mike Green
58 Posted 04/07/2014 at 14:02:17
Mark #55 - I couldn’t agree more.

Rooney at 16 was in a different stratosphere when it comes to potential compared to any other young player I’ve seen live. I think Barkley has potential to be a class act but Rooney should have been truly great - and he hasn’t.

The reason he hasn’t is Fergie used him for what was best for Man Utd, not what was best for Wayne Rooney. This has brought him huge wealth and honours (which is what he wanted) but he’s sacrificed some of his individual talent and potential for it. You pay your money, you take your chance.

Andrew Ellams
59 Posted 04/07/2014 at 14:12:30
Chris, what could Giggs have done that he didnÂ’t? He was instrumental in making Man Utd a major force in world football. The only place he fell short was at international level because he comes from a nation that doesnÂ’t qualify for major tournaments.
Danny Broderick
60 Posted 04/07/2014 at 22:21:48
Fellaini needs the players around him to reach his potential, as he doesn’t have the discipline to play as a defensive CM on his own. However, if he had a couple of whippets alongside him (like McCarthy), he is a useful player. It was never going to work for Man Utd having Carrick and Fellaini in midfield – two players who can’t reach 4th gear.

That said, I can’t see him in a Martinez team. The likes of West Ham and Stoke are where he is suited...

Ernie Baywood
61 Posted 04/07/2014 at 23:01:23
On Rooney, there seems to be a history of English players having the unpredictability and excitement coached out of them. Foreign players are seemingly allowed to be flair players while the English should be reliable.

Look at the media when he was younger... "Isn’t it great to see Rooney chasing back to his own corner flag?" No it wasn’t. Let the fullbacks and midfielders do your donkey work. Fuck the British Bulldog shit.

We can say Rooney didn’t develop as he should have, and I agree with that, but the alternative was close to a decade with Moyes. The guy who, when given a great talent dropped him and loaned him — because he gave the ball away too much.

English players get dropped until they give up on the notion that they can be as creative as their foreign counterparts. They come back brilliant at being average.

To that end, Rooney probably was better off at Man Utd than Everton. But he would have been even better off elsewhere with a coach who wanted to develop him properly.

Ant Dwyer
62 Posted 04/07/2014 at 23:53:14
As it was an initial reply to my comment over Rooney being perhaps the only player to have left us and gone onto better things, I feel itÂ’s worth me putting myself across again.

Rooney may not have fulfilled his maximum potential but as a footballer he has improved. He has been a EPL top scorer along with a EPL player of season so he must be better than the boy who sometimes replaced Joe-Max Moore!

I do agree that, if he’d had the bottle to stick it out with the Blues for another 3/5 years, then maybe tried his hand abroad, he may have been a better individual type player but, as a team player, he is almost complete in my opinion. He may have gone stale at Man Utd but he is decent in the air, heÂ’s a decent tackler, heÂ’s a world class finisher, heÂ’s good in the air, he can play upfront alone or in a front two or three, he can go in behind, he can drop deep, he can take free kicks... I mean, as far as I can see thatÂ’s pretty much a complete player.

That said, I would have loved for him to stay at the blues for life and show his blue aggression forever... but sadly this was not the case.

James Flynn
63 Posted 05/07/2014 at 02:17:01
Leyland (49) - Nothing apparently.

Over-rated no-mark, that Rooney. Thank God we were rid of in time. And for the astronomical sum of 㿅 mil. Man Utd STILL hasn’t recouped that robbery.

And, of course, Fergy would have got Man Utd to 20 titles without him.

Of course, of course, of course.

Ciaran Duff
64 Posted 05/07/2014 at 04:18:14
Well, let’s see what happens in tonight/tomorrow’s games. If Belgium and Netherlands get through then Fellaini may get a chance to show Van Gaal how good he is in the Semis.
Anto Byrne
65 Posted 05/07/2014 at 04:36:11
Great player... very skilful, scored some very good goals in his time. Not sure he is a Martinez type but after watching him in the World Cup I reckon he could do the Barry job in a breeze.

He adds height at the back, can carry the ball forward, and is a goal threat. It will be interesting to see where he ends up. I personally would not have him back at Everton. Rodwell deserves another chance though.

Darren Hind
66 Posted 05/07/2014 at 06:19:16
I just checked the posts and, as I suspected, nobody is suggesting Fellaini is worth 㿇.5M.

He may be the best in the world with his chest, but the suggestion that this is all he has in his locker could only be made by the blind or the bitter.

I would give The Dolly Parton suggestion a miss too; her original assets would have long since gone south and, as Robbie found out last year, signing a pair of tits may increase your wage bill, but it won’t strengthen you on the pitch.

Paul Andrews
67 Posted 05/07/2014 at 06:46:43
Her assets haven’t gone as far south as Fellaini’s career, Darren. But I will bear with you. What else has he got in his locker that makes him the player you consider him to be?

Derek Thomas
68 Posted 05/07/2014 at 09:31:16
No way, the money can be better spent elsewhere.
Aidan Wade
69 Posted 05/07/2014 at 21:16:49
To needlessly parrot the consensus (hurray for the internet!!), we have moved on from the days Fellaini was an important part of our setup. I have no hard feelings, we did brilliantly out of the transfer... but letÂ’s look for LukakuÂ’s replacement, that footballing "El Dorado": the 20-goal-a-season striker.

I hear YakubuÂ’s still only 23.

Paul Andrews
70 Posted 05/07/2014 at 21:47:31
Stone ?
Karl Graham
71 Posted 05/07/2014 at 22:30:44
FellainiÂ’s goals flattered his all-round contribution he would not fit into out team. He is a good player but it was easy for Man Utd fans to make him a scapegoat. ItÂ’s perhaps another case of people who leave us hardly ever seem to prosper.

Baines and Jagielka have been made scapegoats for the England fiasco; it seems it is the done thing to criticise current and ex-Everton players for all problems.

Barry Roberts
72 Posted 05/07/2014 at 22:58:41
There is no point telling our current crop of young players not to move on. Our history is littered with players who look good playing for us, only to move on and disappear without trace. They do not learn from the mistakes of others.
Peter Gorman
73 Posted 06/07/2014 at 10:33:09
Wow, some people on here really do like to rewrite history. A good defensive midfielder? Not in a month of Sundays. Never rated him? Oh really?

Go and watch his performances in the last two seasons with the Blues – he was an outstanding attacking midfielder and almost single-handedly won a number of 'big' fixtures for us. I thought the initial bid from Man Utd was utterly insulting and the eventual price-tag about right.

He was, for us, a technically adept attacking midfielder (oh how we bellowed when he did Craig Bellamy with his turn) who scored a commendable amount of goals. One of the best in the Prem at his role. I am as surprised as most to see him clown around the midfield for Man Utd with all the nous and technique of a donkey, but I won't pretend I never rated him.

Paul Walker
74 Posted 06/07/2014 at 22:59:27
Well said, Peter, whilst I don’t think the guy is worth 㿇.5M and I think Moyes is the only man to think so, I thought he was good for us, at times our best player. Strange to see so many think he’s now the worst player to have ever played.

I feel for the guy, alright a bad though injury-interrupted season... did any Man Utd player really turn up all season? He also did not ask to be wildly over-priced; same thing happened with Andy Carroll.

Would I have him back? Probably not because I don’t think he would fit into the Martinez style and I think his height encourages long-ball football, but he wouldn’t be the worst signing around. Before he left, if you’d have asked me was he worth 㾻M (our record signing), I would probably have said Yes.

Mike Green
75 Posted 06/07/2014 at 23:28:03
Paul #75 – at his best, Fellaini was excellent, and also unique at times which can be a great commodity. In my opinion he is a 㾻m+ player to those who know how to make the best of those skills and are willing to base their system around them.

Moyes wasn't the only person to think he was worth 㿇.5m either, his Dad pushed his valuation and expectations up from Day 1. And eventually got exactly what he wanted. The question is – where do they go from here?

Ant Dwyer
76 Posted 07/07/2014 at 01:36:03
In my opinion, Fellaini would walk into the Everton team. He, along with McCarthy and Barkley, would be an awesome midfield and could potentially be around together for the best part of a decade.

㿇.5M may be overpriced in some peopleÂ’s opinion but would any Evertonian have really wanted to sell Fellaini for anything less? We paid 㾻M, he was a major success, heÂ’s still only 26 and heÂ’s a constant fixture in BelgiumÂ’s midfield... so 㿇M was about right.

Now that heÂ’s not had a successful season, Man Utd are pushing for a quick transfer so now the price is 㾻M(-ish). Get him back, get Rom, sneak in a free or two, plus a loan or two, add the pick of our youth squad – squad complete. That for me will be enough.

That said, we probably wonÂ’t have that much money as we never do... but, if we did somehow manage to get that together, we could push for top 4.

Paul Burns
77 Posted 11/07/2014 at 19:29:08
I want to kill that "Rodwell as cenre half" stone dead. Where did this rubbish start?

He can't head the ball, gets caught in possession constantly and can't tackle.

Sheer nonsense.

Eric Myles
78 Posted 11/07/2014 at 19:48:18
Paul, I believe the rubbish started from the academy coaches who said he was one of the best young centre halves they'd ever seen.
Paul Burns
79 Posted 13/07/2014 at 12:15:13
I think you're wrong, Eric. Iv'e asked around and apparently it came from the boozed-up version of Howard Kendall.

He's never a centre-half in a million years, anyone with eyes can see it.