Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Royston Drenthe

by   |   11/07/2014  Comments (22)  jump

As always happens around this time of year, I find myself wondering who we will sign and how they will fit in and I cast my mind back to a few seasons ago when we signed Royston Drenthe.

He promised the world but failed to deliver and what a fall from grace this fella has had. From Real Madrid to being dumped by Reading in 3 short years, I have to wonder exactly what went wrong.

He had everything in his locker the times that I saw him and scored some decent goals too. He was quick and skillful and exactly the type of player we needed here, I thought he was a club legend in the making.

His attitude stunk the place out though and we got rid in the end, so I suppose that I am just wondering what goes on in the head of some players, all the talent in the world but a head full of nonsense. Did anybody from ToffeeWeb ever meet him?

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments back

Reader Comments (22)

Denis Richardson
1 Posted 11/07/2014 at 21:54:09
Young kids with little eductation given loads of cash and people (rightly or wrongly) telling them all the time they are great.

Add that all together and its a wonder many more don't go off the rails. Luckily a lot have a decent family and/or club to keep them grounded.

Drenthe is far from the being the first and far from being the last....

Alex Trevalyn
2 Posted 11/07/2014 at 22:09:49
Come on Jimmy S, loud and proud...
Dick Fearon
3 Posted 11/07/2014 at 23:04:15
To quote an old saying, Royston was too big for his boots. Others that had the same affliction: Jug Ears and the young Goose.
Phil Roberts
4 Posted 11/07/2014 at 23:15:30
Too much money and getting it about 20 years too early to understand the responsibility that came with it
Steve Croston
5 Posted 11/07/2014 at 23:43:12
We have loads of great youngsters coming through and I hope that they all take notice of what is a terrible waste of a god given talent. (Look what you could have won, Royston!)

I wonÂ’t be worrying too much about our lot as I reckon Roberto and big Dunc run a pretty tight ship, I know we will have ANOTHER star coming through the ranks soon. I am buzzing with anticipation for the season ahead: back in Europe... I canÂ’t wait.

Kris Boner
6 Posted 12/07/2014 at 00:12:30
Now Now Alex, theres no need for that. If it is a pseudonym we've already won.
Peter Bell
7 Posted 12/07/2014 at 00:09:22
Don't fool yourself. OFM knew exactly what he was doing. He knew this guy was trouble. And he also knew he had only one management style. That of an over assertive autocrat.

So when OFM flexed his muscles and binned hima, all the naïve Blues fans said what a great manager he was.

OFM a sergeant Major? Yes. A coach, mentor, or motivator? No
Players like Drenthe, AVDM, he loved, so he could flex his muscles. Other than that, OFM offered fuck all as a manager.

Paul Ferry
8 Posted 12/07/2014 at 01:04:13
IÂ’m sorry but why on earth are we coming back to this Drenthe fella again for the umpteenth time? It has all been said already and the Drenthe dilemma is dusted and done.

Over! I predict that not a single new thing of any consequence will be said on this thread. There will be nothing new to make this (what 7th or 23rd) revisiting worthwhile.

And the summer isnÂ’t even that slow what with this World Cup thing and pre-season just around the corner and transfer rumours and rumbles in full swing!

I must now prepare my new thread on why Van der Meyde did not succeed at Everton... or maybe on the former Manchester United gaffer: traitor or pragmatist? Discuss.

Ant Dwyer
9 Posted 12/07/2014 at 01:48:39
Royston Drenthe was his own worst enemy; a piss-head toss-pot with far too much money and a terrible ego problem.

He had plenty to offer: quick, skillful and a decent shot on him, but he was warned by another top dickhead, Shandy van der Meyde, that the City of Liverpool was too much for him to handle. It proved to be the only thing Shandy got right.

Mike Gaynes
10 Posted 12/07/2014 at 02:57:21
Jimmy, come on, get it all out, son!
Ajay Gopal
11 Posted 12/07/2014 at 05:07:33
Another one that I similarly wonder is James Vaughan. But maybe his case was different from Royston, because he suffered some really unlucky injuries. In any case, another very promising football career which was sadly much less than what could have been.
Phil Sammon
12 Posted 12/07/2014 at 06:31:48
Partly agree, Ajay, although Vaughan has done really well for Huddersfield. He is a real favourite over there.

Vaughan is a strange one – a bit like Gibson – it's not like they have a reoccurring problem. It's a serious of unrelated injuries that seem to happen regularly. A shame because I think both of those would be very highly thought of had they been less susceptible to injury.

Paul Andrews
13 Posted 12/07/2014 at 06:37:05
The problem with James Vaughan, Phil, was that he was too brave. He only saw the ball and would go through rather than around whoever was in the way. I have seen some sickening collisions involving him. Most of his injuries were picked up in that manner.

I agree with you on how he would have turned out without the injuries, I always thought he would develop into a top player.

Good to hear he is doing well at Huddersfield.

Andrew Ellams
14 Posted 12/07/2014 at 07:29:45
The reason we signed Drenthe was because he had the potential to be the bargain of the century; the reason we ditched him was because he had the potential to be the bell end of the century.

Vaughan was a whole different story. With a bit of luck he could have been the new Shearer and leading the line at the World Cup. My favourite memory was him bursting an artery and not wanting to go off, a proper crowd favourite.

Ajay Gopal
15 Posted 12/07/2014 at 08:21:33
Phil, James did really well for Huddersfield in the 1st half of last season, and he was the leading goal-scorer in the Championship until about the half-way mark of the season and then I don't know what happened - he seemed to drop away or again got injured because his appearances and goals started drying up. I tried to research on the Huddersfield website, but did not find anything.

(As you can see, James Vaughan was my favourite Everton player for quite some time, and I desperately wanted him to succeed for us; it didn't quite work out).

Colin Glassar
16 Posted 12/07/2014 at 08:51:51
Drenthe had a very low centre of gravity. In other words, he was always falling over.
Wayne Smyth
17 Posted 12/07/2014 at 08:58:13
Drenthe was typical of many modern footballers with talent. Big ego, lots of power(money), and easily drawn to things which are not beneficial for him or our club.

However, OFM and Roberto seem to be polar opposites when it comes to managerial style.

One is charming, charismatic, positive and classy. You get the impression players want to play for him. He makes them feel good about themselves.

The other wanted to be the biggest ego in the dressing room. The best paid. When he came up against equally sized ego's he couldn't handle them. He seemed to have one way of dealing with problems and that was by asserting his power as manager and stamping down on any insubordination.

I always said when he moved to Man Utd he would struggle to work with and attract the ego's that clubs with that much money attract. And he did.

Roberto is more of a diplomat. You get the impression he would have handled players like Drenthe with a bit more finesse and perhaps we would have seen the football side of Royston a bit more.

Certainly you look around the dressing room now and there are no such problems or even the hint of any problems. Infact I can't think of anyone in football who has a bad word to say about our manager.

Graham Mockford
18 Posted 12/07/2014 at 11:09:32
Peter Bell #7

Binned by Madrid, binned by Hercules, binned by Everton, binned by some no mark Russian outfit, binned by Reading...

I think there is probably some evidence to suggest it’s not the way he is managed or motivated – just that he is a liability wherever he rocks up in his latest supercar.

David Ellis
19 Posted 12/07/2014 at 15:59:31
Peter Bell 7 - yes other than turning us from relegation favourites to regular top 7 or better material OFM had nothing to offer as a manager.
Paul Andrews
20 Posted 12/07/2014 at 16:09:40
He did indeed got us away from relegation fights David Ellis.
Then having got there he instilled the mindset that we could not take the next step."Kiife to a gunfight" etc etc
Mike Allison
22 Posted 12/07/2014 at 16:50:16
"Other than that, OFM offered fuck all as a manager."

That may be the ultimate in anti-Moyes, re-written history nonsense. Congratulations, on a website visited by many a hysterical, hyperbolic critic, you have out 'hysteria-ed' and out 'hyperbole-d' all of them.

Everyone else can stop trying now.

Oh, they already have, ages ago.