Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Would you have Fellaini back?

by   |   29/07/2014  Comments (112)  jump

I would, and if he insisted on coming here as player power is in at the moment we could get him at a steal. He is still a good footballer, not just a lanky header of a player. He would play better in our team and is still young.

Emotions aside, I think it would give the players a boost. People's thoughts are naturally going to turn to how he won't suit the new style but he's a good player who can adapt and play a bit of nice togger.

One thing i would say is he must realise he's not the big Charlie he thinks he is and also not guaranteed his place. But at the right price...

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments back

Reader Comments (112)

Scott Mongomery
1 Posted 29/07/2014 at 16:34:05
A ’No’ from me. Had some great days in the blue shirt but had more pretty anonymous ones. Never go back they say, and for me, that goes for Rodwell as well.
James Flynn
2 Posted 29/07/2014 at 16:38:34
Ian McDowell
3 Posted 29/07/2014 at 16:38:25
No we have enough midfield players and wouldn't fit into Roberto's style and system.

If your going to sign Fellaini you need to play him behind the striker and get the ball up to his chest/head and get people around in.

We have moved on.

Barry Earley
4 Posted 29/07/2014 at 16:40:21
James Stewart
5 Posted 29/07/2014 at 16:41:00
No. He wouldnÂ’t be effective in current system. Times have changed.
Patrick Murphy
6 Posted 29/07/2014 at 16:41:31
Probably not however, it would be interesting to see if Roberto could mould him into the type of footballer he could have been - but it's a no from me.
Karl Masters
7 Posted 29/07/2014 at 16:41:09
Yes, definitely, at the right price, ie about half what we sold him for.

We missed his goals and I think it is a fact we never scored from a corner last season, mainly due to a lack of physical presence.

Ray Robinson
8 Posted 29/07/2014 at 16:35:43
No, I wouldn’t. He was effective in certain matches (usually at home) with the tactics that Moyes employed, but was quite often totally ineffective in away matches when he actually slowed the pace of play considerably. We’ve moved on - he wouldn’t fit in Martinez’s tactics.

I know it’s rather odd to say but he was responsible for one of the best ever performances by an Everton player in the 1-0 win against United two seasons ago and looked an absolute world beater. The reality though is anything but and he’s generally too slow for the top teams. His best position is supporting the front man - might do well at Stoke or West Ham where the approach is more direct - other than that, I don’t see him playing in the Premier League again.

Matt Traynor
9 Posted 29/07/2014 at 16:43:08
He played in our first three games last season, and largely looked like he didn't fit in RM's system. He did well under OFM's tactics, but we've moved on.

We overpaid for him in the first place, and were lucky that OFM was desperate enough for a big signing that he overpaid again for him. On his day he's unplayable, but those rare occasions aside, he's an elbow-flinging player of limited value to a footballing team.

So that's a no from me, in case I need to spell it out.

Michael Penley
10 Posted 29/07/2014 at 16:46:20
No, but not because I don't think he's a good footballer. It may sound mean-spirited to say this, but the path his club career has taken could serve us better as a warning to any of our players who begin to ask themselves whether the grass might be greener...
Shane Corcoran
11 Posted 29/07/2014 at 16:47:05
If Moyes was still here and at the right price then yes.

See Ian #3 for the rest.

Dan Brierley
12 Posted 29/07/2014 at 16:42:29
His control was sublime, I have never seen a player able to take the ball out of the air with his chest so well. Was also ridiculously strong on the ball, and able to burst forward and make things happen. But, the only position where he would be most effective would be the same position as Ross, so it would limit Ross' chances and subsequent development. So its a no go for me.

We need to focus all our money on a top notch striker, and left sided attacker.

Steve Cotton
13 Posted 29/07/2014 at 16:50:49
Karl, didn't Lukaku score from a corner against the RS??
Paul Hughes
14 Posted 29/07/2014 at 16:42:54
No. He was ideal for OFMs system. Able to control long hoofs and bring the lone striker in to play. He is, in my opinion, too slow and inflexible to fit into our current system
Tony Draper
15 Posted 29/07/2014 at 16:49:11
We have higher priorities in equipping our new squad than adding Fella to what we have now.

Roberto clearly knows just who he wants and why and whilst I believe that he could really get the very best from Marouane, I also believe that Roberto's investment of effort will be far more productively applied with other players.

I hope that MF has learned from the "theatre of daydreams", moves on and becomes the cracking player which I wanted him to fully realise with us. But he can go do that outside of the PL.

Jon Ferguson
16 Posted 29/07/2014 at 16:48:45
Where would you play Fellaini in a Martinez team?

Behind the striker - not creative enough.

Defensive midfielder - not disciplined enough.

Box to box midfielder - pretty good but not as good as McCarthy.

He's better than anyone we have if we are one down with five or ten minutes to go.

So in total, even for 㾺 mil he'd be a luxury.

Julian Wait
17 Posted 29/07/2014 at 16:54:53
No to Fellaini, for reasons including: overall ability, desire, commitment, example and to others, and sensible use of limited funds. Even if he came back at 13m, i.e. valuing his hair at 14m, I still say no. and no again. If he was free / on a loan, I might consider it but it still doesn't sit right with me, and it's not out of spite, just out of squad harmony and moving forward not backward.

Centrally, let's not forget we have Lundstram coming through as well, plus kids like Ledson not far behind, both good England age-group players and captains as well.

We need truly attack minded game-changers: Lukaku and Valbuena please, and Deulofeu again on a loan. We'd be ready with that, although backup keeper and backup centre-back are a concern (Besic can play CB though; I loved the way he said he could play "anywhere" the kid has confidence!).

Also talk of two younger Barca attacking players, but that would be perhaps difficult to accommodate if they had to play a certain percentage etc, but they'd be handy in Europe at least and on the bench.

Kevin Rowlands
18 Posted 29/07/2014 at 16:59:47
I've always felt Fellaini would be a top notch center forward, he has all the attributes imho, tall, good in the air, can hold the ball up, and when with us could also finish, that's where he should be used and for me it would be a yes if we could persuade him to play up front.
Ray Robinson
19 Posted 29/07/2014 at 17:08:02
Kevin, modern day forwards need to be quick and mobile!
Linda Morrison
20 Posted 29/07/2014 at 17:15:23
I think that we have missed the big fella. he was good at corners and he did-when in the mood-provide defensive cover. But even if Roberto wanted him I don't think the players wounded pride would allow him to come back. There is also the issue of his high wages. Like OFM he is the past Barkley and the rest are the future and I am more confident that we will have a striker before the start of the season now
Jon Ferguson
21 Posted 29/07/2014 at 17:17:54
I'm with Ray- Fellaini could only play up front in some sort of Sam Alladyse, anti-football team, not Martinez's style.
Kevin Rowlands
22 Posted 29/07/2014 at 17:20:58
Ray/John, Lacina Traore was brought in last season to play for us under Martinez, I wouldn't describe him as quick and mobile, given the option I'd take Fellaini over him up front any day of the week.
Shane Corcoran
23 Posted 29/07/2014 at 17:27:16
Think of some of the attributes that an attacking player needs; pace, a good range of passing and shooting ability. Fellaini scores very low on all of these.
Paul Andrews
24 Posted 29/07/2014 at 17:31:00
He would not fit into our style of play.
Brian Bates
25 Posted 29/07/2014 at 17:34:43
Only as a back-up keeper. Gotta be better than Robles!
Raymond Fox
26 Posted 29/07/2014 at 17:27:34
A big no from me, but it matters not what we think anyway!

There's not a snowball in hell's chance that Martinez will want him back here, square pegs in round holes and all that.

Derek Turner
27 Posted 29/07/2014 at 17:48:13
No, wanted "bigger and better things". Will want them again.
Mike Childs
28 Posted 29/07/2014 at 17:13:02
While he did show he can still offer a team some positive play at the WC, I just feel the baggage he’d be bring back with him make it a NO for me.
Ray Robinson
29 Posted 29/07/2014 at 18:15:47
Kevin, you've hardly seen Traore play! I seem to remember Martinez actually describing him as quick and mobile but I agree that he looks ungainly and may indeed be what you say he is - but he was a loan player with no transfer fee!
Duncan McDine
30 Posted 29/07/2014 at 18:22:49
No thanks. Same goes for Rodwell, though I have nothing against either, I think we got excellent money for two players that don’t have the drive / determination to be the top players thier ability would otherwise suggest.
Nigel Gregson
31 Posted 29/07/2014 at 18:26:06
YES at the price of say ٠m and Bobby will have to re-train him as an out and out Target man striker. He has all the attributes - he's big, he's strong and he's a nightmare for defenders, knocking down high balls. He's got a great header and can shoot also. He'll create space for a false no. 9 if he's not scoring himself and will be effective against brute teams (like he was against Algeria in the WC).

For those arguing that the Martinez system wont allow it, as tippy-tappy as we were last season, we were also one of foremost exponents of the long ball in the league.

Jon Ferguson
32 Posted 29/07/2014 at 18:32:46
Kevin 22 -I've only seen Traore play once, apparently he wasn't fit from the start yet he still scored. Apparently when fully fit he's no slouch.

Martinez obviously rates him, and I didn't get the impression he rated Fellaini (I may be wrong). I doubt very much a bid is in the pipeline.

Ray Robinson
33 Posted 29/07/2014 at 18:33:54
So Nigel you're basically saying "No!" Offer ٠m for a 㿇m player? Have I missed the joke here?
Nigel Gregson
35 Posted 29/07/2014 at 18:46:45
@Ray #33, Pretty much :-) . As if the big Fella will want to be retrained as a striker. He's said publicly that his best position is defensive midfield (lol).
Si Cooper
36 Posted 29/07/2014 at 18:35:01
If the manager wants him and the price is right, then why not?

I don't think you can have 'too many' decent players if you are within budget and they are all prepared to knuckle down and do their best for the club. If it takes up resources that are more needed elsewhere in the squad and sows disharmony then it is obviously not worth it.

"the path his club career has taken could serve us better as a warning to any of our players who begin to ask themselves whether the grass might be greener..." - surely resurrecting his career at EFC would just reinforce the object lesson.

Jay Harris
37 Posted 29/07/2014 at 18:43:08
The Good,
He was one of our best goalscoring MF players which we have sorely missed.He very rarely lost a ball and his ball control and passing was first class. Those that say he doesnt belong in the Prem need to reassess and ask why he is a constant in the Belgian team.

The Bad
His Dad is his agent and took him to MAn U on wages we can no longer afford. We couldnt very well look to buy him back from Man U for half what we stole from them.

The Ugly
His tackling is clumsy at best and he is a red card waiting to happen.

Would I have him back
Definite yes under the right circumstances as we have no other MF player who can contribute goals and unsettle defenders the way he does.

Dick Brady
38 Posted 29/07/2014 at 19:22:42
Nope.
Jeff Beaumont
39 Posted 29/07/2014 at 19:27:24
Eugene Ruane
40 Posted 29/07/2014 at 19:26:50
If he thought he was a..er..’big Charlie’ (?) when he left, I doubt he does now.

Probably in therapy after last season ("Thank you Mr Fellaini, same time next week....... ....come in Mr Moyes")

To be honest, I thought he was more than useful when I first saw him play for Liege against Liverpool and his kind of agricultural nuisance value for us and his goals under OFM, I always thought worth having.

Now?

Simply can’t see where or how he’d fit in so...no, I wouldn’t have him back.

Maybe Liverpool will come in for him as he’s the only player in Europe they haven’t been linked with this summer (I predict problems at Castle Grayskull next year as Brenda tries to keep happy the 435 squad members who won’t be getting a game).

By the way, I was sent a text earlier saying Liverpool have offered Southampton’s tea lady ٦ an hour.

Bob Hannigan
41 Posted 29/07/2014 at 19:54:00
Plain & simple NO
Harold Matthews
42 Posted 29/07/2014 at 20:05:37
No. Don't like his dad.
Sid Logan
43 Posted 29/07/2014 at 20:36:21
Not a chance. Both he and his ambitious Dad thought he was too good for Everton. Quite frankly: just desserts!
Colin Glassar
44 Posted 29/07/2014 at 20:43:16
No. Ditto about his dad. A bit like Tom Ince and his arl fella.
Simon George
45 Posted 29/07/2014 at 20:47:31
Nope.
Mike Allison
46 Posted 29/07/2014 at 21:03:53
Excellent player, not what we need any more. Let him be a cautionary tale to anyone else thinking of leaving.
Tony Doran
47 Posted 29/07/2014 at 21:22:12
A lot of interesting comments, overwhelming majority say no but still to many with that bad taste in the mouth about him leaving. Come on peeps this is the modern day EPL, full of prostitutes and with the money getting thrown about iÂ’d be the biggest whore of all. Fellaini was his own worse enemy, he was a victim of his own success. As he was able to play in a number of different positions he never nailed down a permanent one. Unlike Tiny who went from midfield to striker Fellaini was never going to stay up front. I honestly think he could become a very good holding midfielder, breaking down attacks and playing simple balls back out. When needed in the last 20 minutes of games he can give another dimention. At the time Moyes described him as the best midfielder in the country how many of us doubted him. This was when he was consistently playing CM.
Paul Ferry
48 Posted 29/07/2014 at 22:25:09
Jesus wept, Dan Brierley (12): Â’His control was sublime. I have never seen a player able to take the ball out of the air with his chest so wellÂ’.

Footie players have these other things called legs. The over-rated liability the fuzzy haired fella had on a scale of 1-10 with ten being highest 0.2325734 ability to control a ball in motion with his per.

LetÂ’s just continue to celebrate the fact that we got – I still pinch myself – 㿇.5 million sponds for a half-decent player who got caught out big-style last year (being in the largest Sky spotlight of all). I whooped when he was sold.

Doug Harris
49 Posted 29/07/2014 at 22:31:10
Nothing at all to do with his Dad; he was okay...ish for us. The way Bob has us playing we don't need a Fellaini type. Proof in the pudding as they say. We shall see how he fits into the Mancs under this guy. We didn't miss him last season so why should we now?.....
Mark Taylor
50 Posted 29/07/2014 at 22:30:26
No, I don't really see where he fits in a RM side and I don't see United selling him for the sub 㾶m that might make him fair value, or the player taking a huge wage cut. So I'm just happy we got top dollar for him and we can move on.
Jamie Crowley
51 Posted 29/07/2014 at 22:42:54
Yes. I'd have him back in a flash.

He's talented IMO, was injured much of last season, and has proven with us he can play.

I'd have him rotate with Barkley in the CAM role.

In a second if the price was right.

Only hesitation - he's cut his hair. He's like Lukaku in that regard. I'm convinced they derive their power from their hair. He'd need to grow the fro back.

Willy Russell
52 Posted 29/07/2014 at 23:21:18
I'd have him back for ٠ or 3M on one condition – he gets a personality transplant.
Dave Long
53 Posted 29/07/2014 at 23:42:57
Hung his arse out for the other clubs in the transfer window; the rest of the time he plodded around Goodison dreaming of Chelsea and Man Utd. In the World Cup he looked slow and still couldn't beat an egg.
Bob Parrington
54 Posted 29/07/2014 at 23:49:42
Nope. Wouldn't fit in now.
Ian McDowell
55 Posted 29/07/2014 at 23:53:30
Either see my post @ 3 or those that watched Everton in 50% of games last year please tell me where Fellaini, a 𧴜k-a-week player, would fit in?
Eric Myles
56 Posted 30/07/2014 at 01:40:58
Dennis Ng
57 Posted 30/07/2014 at 01:45:30
Yes if free and minimum wage...
Adrian Byrne
58 Posted 30/07/2014 at 06:12:14
There are better players we can spend money on, so it's a NO from me.
Christopher Timmins
59 Posted 30/07/2014 at 07:12:22
"You never go back" in life, the club got the best from the guy but things have moved on. His style of play suited Moyes but not Martinez.

It's a no for Lukaku at €30M as well!

Conor Waters
60 Posted 30/07/2014 at 07:19:21
No. Next...
Peter Warren
61 Posted 30/07/2014 at 07:22:44
Dependant on price but I thought he was a really good player on his day. Not consistent enough to be great however
Ian Hollingworth
62 Posted 30/07/2014 at 07:24:28
A definite NO thank you
Peter Morris
63 Posted 30/07/2014 at 08:25:49
Not for me. Remember, he played a big role in forcing his move through, followed by the usual bilge of "biggest club in the world" and all that shite. Would you take a girl back who pissed of with the guy with the new Capri?
In any event,the new Everton move the ball around the park too quickly for his style. He'll be off to ply his trade in Germany or Italy and good riddance-he'll end up like Nicolas Anelka in all probability.
Sam Morrison
64 Posted 30/07/2014 at 08:32:47
Capri? Showing your age there Peter...
Anthony Jones
65 Posted 30/07/2014 at 09:01:14

He is a Moyes player.

We have moved on (and up).

Steve Jones
66 Posted 30/07/2014 at 09:06:38
A conditional 'yes' for me. Conditions being cheap and after a confirmed striking option being bought. One thing we have now that has held on from Moyes time is that we have no really clear plan B if the tippy tappy stuff isn't opening the doors.

Barkley on a charge can do the job, but, he isn't always on his game and we do need cover for his position. Fellaini as an impact sub and cover behind the striker would be valuable to us. Its a luxury buy though...maybe he's shat on his own reputation enough moving to Utd that no-one else, bar Pulis, will touch him.

Kieran Fitzgerald
67 Posted 30/07/2014 at 09:28:41
Yes for me. He has the ability to hold the ball up and bring others into play. This is a huge part of his game and something that was highlighted again and again when he played for us. A criticism of our style of play last season was that we lacked a cutting edge in the final third. If Fellaini can hold the ball up in the final third, bring our attackers more into play around him and also cause complete chaos in the opposition box, then it will only create more chances for us

He has also shown that he can be impossible to mark and can easily score 10 goals plus per season. How many of our players hit double figures for goals last season?

I think he could bring a lot to the team. While Utd may not want to see him back to us cheaply, 13-15m for him and 8-9m for someone like Remy would count as good business for me.

The price tag may be a concern though. Utd paid a huge fee for him a year ago. I can't see them selling him back to us for what we can afford to pay right now. We do seem to be going all out to spend 20m plus on Lukaku.

Kieran Fitzgerald
68 Posted 30/07/2014 at 09:28:41

Martin Faulkner
69 Posted 30/07/2014 at 09:38:32
No, valbuena a much better option
Brin Williams
70 Posted 30/07/2014 at 09:41:27
Only if Moyes and Neville come as well to do the raking and devoting at half time.
Jason Lam
71 Posted 30/07/2014 at 10:19:26
No. RM says he's not an 'Everton player.'
Joe Bibb
72 Posted 30/07/2014 at 10:32:51
Check his goals and assists for Efc and then the answer will be NO.
Joe Bibb
73 Posted 30/07/2014 at 10:32:51
Check his goals and assists for Efc and then the answer will be NO.
Peter Morris
74 Posted 30/07/2014 at 10:46:12
Sam(64),
a Capri was my very first car, and helped make up for my inherent lack of good looks in the pulling department!
Geoff Trenner
75 Posted 30/07/2014 at 11:05:24
Pete(74), your Capri had a tow-bar?
Paul Tran
76 Posted 30/07/2014 at 11:21:13
This shows how far we've come. The 'talisman' player some were scared of losing has become exposed. Very good in the air at corners/free kicks, prone to giving away free kicks, slow, not the best passer, tendency to go missing in the really big games. The more I think about it, the more I'm glad we found someone daft enough to pay 㿇m for him.

Phil Walling
77 Posted 30/07/2014 at 11:22:35
No doubt when Blue Bill brings Moysey back as manager, Felli will be his first signing !

I've no doubt that is a scenario we shall face when Roberto moves on to greater things.

Scenario ? More like a bloody nightmare !

Jim Potter
78 Posted 30/07/2014 at 11:27:39
Hair today .... gone forever.

Liked him under the old regime but he no longer suits our style. He thought he was too big for us. His pudding was not proved.

IÂ’m sure we can get someone far better whoÂ’d fit in with our new style for the twelve mil heÂ’d now cost.

Apart from Rooney ... IÂ’d never go back.

Paul Johnson
79 Posted 30/07/2014 at 11:29:04
No. Over-rated bully with poor disciplinary record.

Suits OFMs "don't lose" mentality which I'm pleased to report we've disowned in double quick time.

Precisely what did he achieve at ManYoo or in the world cup?

Rob Baker
80 Posted 30/07/2014 at 11:33:28
Nah, as he has gone downhill since the move to OT. I thought he looked below par @ WC. #NilSatisNisiOptimum
Peter Morris
81 Posted 30/07/2014 at 11:38:26
Geoff(75),
1970's terminology mate....you are referring to 'towing' methinks? My Ford rustbucket helped snare me my lovely wife, to whom I have been married 30 years on Monday gone!
Paul Andrews
82 Posted 30/07/2014 at 12:01:09
The great train robbers got less than that
Ged Dwyer
83 Posted 30/07/2014 at 14:07:05
In midfield he is a liability, up front he has nuisance value so for ٟm yes above that no.
Paul Ellam
84 Posted 30/07/2014 at 17:00:09
Hmmm...a tough one.
I will probably get slated for putting this but I would sell Gibson (always crocked) and bring in Fellaini to strengthen the squad.
Obviously a lot of difference in the money we would get for Gibson and pay for Fellaini but I reckon it would be worth it.
Paul Ellam
85 Posted 30/07/2014 at 17:00:09
Hmmm...a tough one.
Brian Waring
87 Posted 30/07/2014 at 18:47:20
The only thing he did for me when he was here, was being used in one of the funniest statements ever in football history, when someone said on here that "Fellaini would walk into the Real Madrid midfield" FFS someone said he was better than Busquets!
Geoff Evans
88 Posted 30/07/2014 at 19:25:03
Yeah, a top club would bring out the best in him. Five million tops.
Geoff Evans
89 Posted 30/07/2014 at 19:25:03
Yeah, a top club would bring out the best in him. Five million tops.
Eric Holland
90 Posted 31/07/2014 at 00:09:50
On loan!!
Rick Tarleton
91 Posted 31/07/2014 at 08:22:35
Wouldn't he be in the so-called No 10 role that Barkley should be playing?
Chad Schofield
92 Posted 31/07/2014 at 08:44:31
No on the basis that his agent and Dad were always looking for his next move.

I think the Gibson thing a couple posts up is pragmatic, but I'd far rather see Gibson here, crocked and all, than a negative big haired seal who only really plays as many games as Darron even though he's on the pitch every week.

James O'Connell
93 Posted 31/07/2014 at 09:02:57
No. The best thing he did was bring in 㿇 million which paid for Lukaku.
Paul Mackie
94 Posted 31/07/2014 at 09:19:35
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Derek Williams
95 Posted 31/07/2014 at 09:30:15
I think if I was going for a Man Utd player who couldn't get into their team last year it would be Kagawa rather than Felli. The former would give us something we don't have, the latter, good as he was for us on many occasions, belongs to a different time and system. We've moved on.
Eivind Nyhus
96 Posted 31/07/2014 at 09:41:06
I really like Fellaini, and was a little bummed out when he left (till I saw the price), but he could be real good cover for our midfield. 㾺 million isn’t a price we pay for backup players.

Go to Germany and be successful, Fellaini!

Craig Walker
97 Posted 31/07/2014 at 11:59:59
No. He thought he was better than our great club and proved that he wasn't. Too slow and ponderous in possession and gives too many fouls away. Got some good memories of him in a blue shirt but he never really performed in derby games. As others have said better than me, we've moved on since he was our only attacking threat via hoofball.
Geoff Trenner
98 Posted 31/07/2014 at 12:25:16
Peter (81), I knew exactly what you meant. I was attempting a bit of humour even though my wife (of 32 years in September) tells me that I really shouldn't!
Chris Morris
99 Posted 31/07/2014 at 12:36:15
I don't wish to put the lad down because when he left I was saddened slightly but I don't see who he replaces in the current midfield. Never in a million years can you drop McCarthy, Barry is far better than we all expected him to be and Barkley will be our attacking midfield main man. Fellaini is too slow for the wings so I would have to say no, however if the price was below 㾶m then yes.

It's never going to be that low though is it? I would also say the same of Rodwell unless we can pick him up for below ٢m

Gavin McGarvey
100 Posted 31/07/2014 at 12:21:04
I thought Fellaini was great for us, and if we had the money and circumstances were right etc... I'd have him back.

I can't see him coming straight back from Man U to us, as it would involve Man U losing too much face. As it is I think they're mugs for offloading him so quickly but I guess if Van Gaal doesn't rate him then they may as well stick him out on loan somewhere.

As to whether he's the right fit for RM's playing style, well I can't see him displacing Barry or Gibson, so maybe as an alternative to Barkley he could step in.

There are a lot of people slagging him, but when he played for us he was one of our best players. Full credit to RM for selling him and using the money to change the way we play, but let's not rewrite history. I personally think he is CL quality all day long and the fact that Arsenal and Chelsea aren't in for him just shows they lack bravery in the transfer market. His wages (are they really 100k a week??????) can't help either.

Peter Barry
101 Posted 31/07/2014 at 12:57:07
No not in a million years. He only played when HE felt like it.
James Marshall
102 Posted 31/07/2014 at 15:02:57
No. He's shit. Square peg in a round hole.

We play good football now, Fellaini wouldn't have a clue the lumbering great, pointy elbowed dumbass.

Terence Leong
104 Posted 01/08/2014 at 11:03:53
Fellaini deserves more credit than a lot of people give him. He is actually very skillful, and I do think that he can fit into our current side that is playing more on the floor.

If you notice his play a couple of seasons before he departed, there were glimpses of that defensive midfield play that is intelligent. That spin-around against Bellamy comes to mind.

I think he bombed out at Man Utd because of player power, ie, you have to come in as a dominant player against a team that were winners just the season before. Moyes was unable to figure out how to use him in that team, or was afraid to.

Peter Morris
105 Posted 01/08/2014 at 11:15:03
Geoff (#98), congratulations for September. Some good fixtures lined up next month. Why not take the good lady along to celebrate? Mine is unfortunately from the dark side.
James Newcombe
106 Posted 01/08/2014 at 13:02:35
No way - selling him for that price was one of the best bits of business we've done. Up there with buying Coleman or Cahill!

I liked him at Everton, but we have moved on.

David Ellis
107 Posted 02/08/2014 at 00:55:53
No - square peg round hole, and unsuited to the Roberto way.
He does have some interesting skills, a great chester of the ball and quite skillful - rarely gave the ball away. But he was too poor in tackling/positioning and too slow to cover back as a DM, and not tricky enough as an attacking midfielder. I just not sure how we would use him now.
Shaun Tilley
109 Posted 02/08/2014 at 18:29:58
No, He's too lazy and not creative. He's ok for lower divisions, he knows he can't step up to our level now that we have achieved thanks to Martinez!
James Martin
110 Posted 02/08/2014 at 22:28:29
A thousand nos. Every one of our central midfielders are better than him.
Pablo Connelly
111 Posted 02/08/2014 at 23:47:47
Makes me laugh when you read nonsense like 'he's a Moyes player'. Do we knew selectively forget that about 90% of the current 1st team are Moyes players. In answer to the question yes I would have him as he is a good player who is flexible. If he played in behind Lukaku he would share take a lot of the physical workload which could well create space for him to score more. He is better than Naismith and osman in that position for me and would provide great competition with Ross given the amount of games we have. He would also better cover in central midfield area than osman should we get an injury crisis.
Dave Abrahams
112 Posted 07/08/2014 at 13:27:47
Vastly overrated, especially by Moyes, in my opinion. He was too slow, couldnÂ’t, tackle, failed to track back most of the time, gave stupid fouls away all over the pitch, very temperamental when things went wrong for him. Most of his best games were as an auxiliary striker when to be honest he got Everton out of trouble.

To conclude: Everton did well out of him financially but are better off without him.