Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Lineup vs Leicester City

by   |   04/08/2014  Comments (70)  jump

So not long to go now, a fortnight if my calendar is correct – I know this is some people's pet hate on here but come on, what would be your starting line-up against Leicester City?

My line-up is under the assumption Atsu has signed... (After all part of the deal it appears is that he plays as much as he can in the Premier League!!!):

Howard
Coleman Jagielka Stones Baines
Atsu Barry McCarthy Pienaar
Barkley
Lukaku

Subs: Robles, Distin, Besic, Osman, Naismith.

All-in-all, it looks like being a very promising season. When everyone is fit, Christ only knows how you fit Oviedo, Gibson, Kone et al into it... but hey, that's the dilemma Everton have these days!!

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments back

Reader Comments (70)

Michael Kenrick
1 Posted 04/08/2014 at 16:08:30
Might not be so bad, Sam, if they let us name more than five subs.

Oh... wait a minute...

Mike Hughes
2 Posted 04/08/2014 at 16:09:52
No Mirallas?
Stephen Brown
3 Posted 04/08/2014 at 16:12:43
Beat me to it there Mike ! For all Mirallas' faults he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet for me ! No substitute for pace in the PL. I'd also lean towards Distin as I'd assume Leicester have some big centre forward to deal with .
Kunal Desai
5 Posted 04/08/2014 at 16:18:09
I'd go with Naismith, Mirallas and Distin in place of Pienaar, Atsu and Stones.(Although I do think the Stone/Distin partnership has been solid which coincided in out 9 match winning streak last season)
James Stewart
6 Posted 04/08/2014 at 16:20:41
Howard
Coleman Stones Distin Baines
McCarthy Barry
Mirallas Barkley Pienaar
Lukaku

Hard to leave Naismith out. He could be in instead of Pienaar and interchange with Barkley.

Jay Harris
7 Posted 04/08/2014 at 16:21:00
My first choice team would be:

Howard

Coleman Stones Distin Baines

McCarthy Besic Barry

Barkley

Naismith Lukaku

Ken Power
8 Posted 04/08/2014 at 16:30:42
Leicester will be physical so I'd go with Distin and Jags for this one. Don't think you'll see Besic or Atsu (if we sign him) either as Roberto will go with experience and the team that did the business last year I reckon. And why not!
Mark Griffiths
9 Posted 04/08/2014 at 16:29:16
Howard
Baines
Jagielka
Distin
Coleman
Barry
McCarthy
Barkley
Mirallas
Pienaar
Lukaku

We have a great starting 11 and 2-3 good players to introduce, but I am worrying about our lack of depth. I still think we need another 3 quality signings to sniff around the stay in the top 6, have a good go at the EL and get far in the domestic cups.

Dick Brady
11 Posted 04/08/2014 at 16:40:22
I don't think Stones is good enough to displace Distin just yet and I think Naismith will feature somewhere. I'm also not going to include Atsu as he's a Chelsea player at present.

Howard
Coleman
Distin
Jagielka
Baines
Barry
McCarthy
Pienaar
Barkley
Naismith
Lukaku

Mark Murphy
13 Posted 04/08/2014 at 16:40:18
Sorry but on seeing Sams line up I just thought, meh!

I'm made up that Lukaku and Barkley have signed and I think McCarthy, Coleman, Mirallas & Baines are great players but looking at these line ups were still a mile off City, Chelsea and Arsenal.

Hopefully Besic and Atsu (?) will make a difference otherwise that's the same team that almost made top 4 last season up against stronger teams this year.

we need to upgrade on Pienaar and quite soon on Barry, I.M.O.

Paul Andrews
14 Posted 04/08/2014 at 16:46:51
Mark Griffiths,

That will be the side,if nobody is sold.

Mark Griffiths
16 Posted 04/08/2014 at 16:57:43
Paul A,

I think it's good bet. I hope nobody is sold, but you never know! Besic reminds me a little bit of M Fernandes.

Paul Ferry
18 Posted 04/08/2014 at 17:25:48
IF, a big if that, this is indeed the situation we found ourselves in on the big kick-off day then I hope that Pienaar does not start although I fear that he will. His chronic lack of pace was yet again on display yesterday in spades. IÂ’m pretty sure that this will be his last season with us and I for one would like to see him more in a supporting role than first-team regular.

Osman, too (sorry Mocky), is on his last legs with us. I replayed the 1st half of yesterday earlier and the commentator said his name 5 times, twice to remind us that it was his testimonial. Nice guy, great servant, glad he enjoyed his deserved day yesterday, but Â…Â…. Yep, the only one to play in every game last season and quite frankly I donÂ’t get it.

So, back to the foxes and the urban dump that is Leicester (although if sticking around after the match make sure to grab a curry on the golden mile - Belgrave Road, yummy).

Howard
Coleman Jagielka Stones Baines
Atsu Barry McCarthy Mirallas,
Barkley
Lukaku

Subs: Robles, Distin, Besic, Osman, Naismith, Pienaar, Garbutt

This team reminds me of how good we can be if everyone stays fit - no chance - but my oh my we need to buy at least two more who could walk into the team for competition, for Europe, and for peace of mind.

A creative midfield player and another striker.

Besic can play at the back right and that versatility will be highly useful. If Atsu is not with us next week, nor anyone else, I would be more than happy, on the basis of what I saw yesterday (and later on today when I re-runt he 2nd half) - that little 3 minute or so clip on the other thread fills me with hope - to see him start on the 16th.

P.S. I have a horrid sensation dip in the pit of my stomach that both Osman and Pienaar will start at he Walker.

Steavey Buckley
19 Posted 04/08/2014 at 18:04:18
Modern football, the type that Germany showed during the World Cup, is about flexible formations, playing higher up the field as possible and allowing as many bodies as possible to get into the opposition's penalty area to get on to the end of crosses. Everton against both Leicester and Porto played far too deep and isolated what attackers there were.
Ajay Gopal

Phil Walling
21 Posted 04/08/2014 at 18:13:18
Nailed on certainties to START most Premier games :-

Howard Coleman Jagielka Baines
Barry McCarthy Besic
Lukaku

Which leaves just three places we could - and will argue about all night.

Stones, Distin may play alternate games in central defence.

In midfield, I don't see Barkley, Osman and Pienaar as automatic picks - for differing reasons I may say - and further forward both Mirallas and Naismith may also have to suffer the dreaded rotation.

I haven't forgotten McGready. who as an attacking wide player may have to compete with the last newcomer Bobby is promising us.

All the others will have to make do with Thursday night action after Robles punches us out of the League Cup !

Liam Reilly
22 Posted 04/08/2014 at 18:51:49
Roberto loves Osman and there's no way he is not starting against Leicester. I'd add Barkley,and Rom to that too.

Away from home; first game of the season he'll play it safe and won't be much different from last seasons first eleven.

Rob Halligan
23 Posted 04/08/2014 at 19:02:30
Very difficult to name a starting eleven. However I would definitely put Stanek on the bench rather than Robles, if we haven't signed a new keeper pretty dam soon.
Raymond Fox
24 Posted 04/08/2014 at 19:08:52
Tell me Rob, how many goals against were Robles fault, the Leicester one granted.

Can you think of any more?

Phil Walling
25 Posted 04/08/2014 at 19:13:32
The efficacy of our defence usually saves the day but in the Prem game he played at Xmas he let the ball straight through his hands !

He puts the shits up every defence he plays behind but if you really think he's a good 'un, you are well entitled to that opinion .

Rob Halligan
27 Posted 04/08/2014 at 19:13:16
Not the point Raymond. The lad can't catch or kick a ball. Every time he punches, even when not under pressure, just presents more danger from the opposition and puts our defence under pressure. He very rarely finds a blue shirt with a kick and some goal kicks end up going out for a throw in, again giving the ball back to the opposition.

Two of the main fundamentals of being a keeper are catching and kicking a ball. In my opinion he can do neither. Think you will find a lot on here agree with me.

Mike Gaynes
28 Posted 04/08/2014 at 19:18:46
Looks like Atsu is not coming.

And Phil, Bobby never said anything about a "last" newcomer.

Ken Buckley
29 Posted 04/08/2014 at 19:31:28
At yesterdays game Martinez used two different formations first half and three second half.
I am going to leave it to him to get the line ups right and get us off to a good start.
It was hard to comment on the relative strengths and abilities of each team as both coaches had differing agendas. Porto are further forward with match planning than we are as they have a champions league qualifier coming up so the reality is the game was for us to champion Ossie whilst the coaches pondered the success of their preparations for the upcoming season so far.
Both will ultimately be judged on it.
Pablo Connelly
30 Posted 04/08/2014 at 20:09:23
4-3-3 for me
.........................Howard
coleman.......jags....Distan........Baines
..........................Barry
................McCarthy.....Besic
........Mirallas.................Barkley
......................Lukaku
Christopher Kelly
31 Posted 04/08/2014 at 20:16:50
I like where your head is at Pablo...
Brent Stephens
32 Posted 04/08/2014 at 20:24:08
Pablo, that team for me, too. Knowing there'd be lots of fluidity and interchanging of positions.
Sam Higgins
34 Posted 04/08/2014 at 20:30:19
Apologies - I meant to put Mirallas on the bench!
DonÂ’t understand why some people think we look unexciting - weÂ’ve never looked so good in a long long time!! These folks were obviously hibernating in the 90Â’s.
Iain Love
35 Posted 04/08/2014 at 20:39:57
Pablo's for me too. Naismith and Mcgeady as supersubs
Wayne Smyth
36 Posted 04/08/2014 at 20:31:52
Looks a very decent side Pablo, lots of pace down the flanks and in the front 5.

Whether Barkley would be effective on the left wing is another matter. I'm glad Martinez is looking at Atsu(who I suspect will eventually join, regardless of what the rags say) and players like him. A fast left footer would really provide some balance to our team.

I remember back to when Donovan came and gave us a threat on our right flank as an alternative to the baines/Pienaar axis. Our results improved immeasurably I think in part because we had a threat from multiple angles. A decent fast left winger would complement Mirallas and give us a hugely potent front 4.

Sean Kelly
37 Posted 04/08/2014 at 20:34:06
Pablo that team does it for me. Solid at the back and thereÂ’s goals there for Mirallas and Lukaku. COYB!
David Chait
38 Posted 04/08/2014 at 20:46:01
Ajay and Pablo... that is the best side on paper for me. It does look like it may lack width as Barkley isn't a winger although Baines will do the job... Pretty awesome 11!

I think he will be a bit more conservative and go with Pienaar and leave Besic for now, but how conservative can 3 defensive midfielders be, although Besic looks very creative.

Christopher Kelly
39 Posted 04/08/2014 at 20:47:48
We have to get McCarthy or Besic (or both hopefully) to supply a few more goals this season from the MF. Vitally important.

MIrallas too needs to have a break out year. Exceptionally important player for us this season as his talent is definitely there. Hopefully with a year under RM, it’ll allow for some maturation...

Chris Funk
40 Posted 04/08/2014 at 20:21:13
I think a 4-2-3-1 is most likely for the very first match:

---------------------Howard-----------------------
--Coleman----Jagielka---Distin-----Baines---
------------McCarthy----------Barry-------------
--Mirallas----------Barkley-----------Pienaar--
----------------------Lukaku-----------------------

There are a lot of tactical possibilities, however, because we have different styles of players that can play in the same (or similar) position. In the 4-2-3-1 above, you could substitute Ossie for Barkley, and create a different dynamic. Similarly, you could sub McGeady for Pienaar (and switch Mirallas, if you want) if you wanted to increase the pace on the field. Or, you could move to the 4-3-3, include Naismith as a false nine, and push Mirallas and Lukaku wider. He could, at some point, even go with three central defenders, using Coleman and Baines as wingbacks:

---------------------Howard-----------------------
------Stones-------Jags--------Distin----------
---Coleman----------------------------Baines--
------------McCarthy----------Besic-------------
------------------------Barkley---------------------
---------Lukaku------------------Mirallas---------

I think that has me excited as a fan more than anything -- seeing how Roberto uses his players each week. We're just not going to line up in a simple 4-5-1 each week and plug away. I think we'll feature multiple formations based on what Bobbie thinks will work best that week (and the way players are performing).

Mike Childs
41 Posted 04/08/2014 at 21:09:18
I too like Pablo's lineup except I would start Stones over Jags. The future is now no time to waste.
Zahir Jaffer
42 Posted 04/08/2014 at 21:23:42
3-5-1-1 with Coleman and Baines as wingbacks; Distin, Stones and Jagielka at the back; Barry, McCarthy and Besic in midfield with Barkley playing behind Lukaku.

Who is Martinez gonna play:

Coleman Jagielka Distin Baines
Mirallas McCarthy Barry Pienaar
Barkley
Lukaku
In a 4-4-1-1 formation.

Denis Richardson
43 Posted 04/08/2014 at 21:23:22
First game of the season, away to a side that just got promoted. Not being defensive but both managers will be super keen to avoid starting the season with a defeat, Leceister slightly more so than us as they'll want to get points on the board asap to get their confidence up - they would probably take a point now if offered.

For that reason I think the back 5 will be unchanged from last year - cannot see RM choosing Stones over the experience of either Jags or Distin. Barry, McCarthy, Lukaku, Mirallas and Barkley are nailed on to start if fully fit so that really only leaves 1 place open to discussion imo. Again from an experience perspective, it'll be either Ossie or Pienaar - will go for Pienaar as he's a better player than Ossie imo.

RMs 11:

Howard
Coleman, Jags, Distin, Baines
Barry McCarthy
Mirallas, Barkley, Pienaar
Lukaku

I would probably choose the same tbo given its an away game, our bench will be pretty strong although won't have much pace to it. Besic will likely be eased in with a couple of sub appearances.

Hopefully we can get off to a great start and score the first goal of the game early so we don't have to chase the game at any point.

Leceister 0 - 3 Everton (Lukaku, Coleman, Barkley)

May be getting ahead of myself:-)

Bill Gall
44 Posted 04/08/2014 at 21:39:39
Looking at the line ups from various supporters the thing that stands out to me is even with all the talk of x amount of players coming in; the team is no different from last season. Yes we have signed 2 of the loan players from last season and signed 1 midfielder but unless there are any more signings or loans we will be going with basicly the same squad from last season with some young players brought in.

Yes there are some players coming back from injury but after a season out the only one I would believe will come back good is Oviado.
Gibson seems injury prone and getting older and Kone has to prove he was not just a 1 season wonder.

Denis Richardson
45 Posted 04/08/2014 at 21:55:15
Bill 44, what you say is right but keep in mind one of the main problems last season was our lack of squad depth, not the quality of our first team. Also we didn't have Rom for the first few games, we do this time round.

The likes of Stones, Besic, Oviedo, Kone etc will keep the first teamers on their toes and also provide cover for injuries, bookings, tiredness, loss of form etc as the season goes on.

The transfer window is also still open for almost another month so we may get another 2-3 players in.

Keep the faith - we didn't need a complete overhaul of the first XI.

Zahir Jaffer
46 Posted 04/08/2014 at 21:58:14
Chris (#40),

Spot on, mate.

Eric Holland
47 Posted 04/08/2014 at 22:02:41
A jay and Pablo, Would love to see this as our starting 11

Stones could fill either of the central spots and I think Bobby will start with Pienaar and Gibson.

Jamie Crowley
48 Posted 05/08/2014 at 03:36:14
Pablo's lineup for me, just put Stones in there in lieu of Jags.

Stones has to start and play as much as possible. The kid is gold.

The Barry - McCarthy - Besic axis would be fucking beautiful.

Lord we are gonna be fun to watch. Thank you God, and thank you to OFM for pissing off down the road.

Exciting stuff this season.

Gerry Quinn
49 Posted 05/08/2014 at 03:50:57
One thing to note is that Leicester City have a certain player by the name of Jack Barmby - and yes, he is the son of that "turncoat"!
Dave Rusk
50 Posted 05/08/2014 at 10:52:12
I just bought Leicester tickets and I'm really looking forward to the start of the season. Always full of optimism first game.... well, we are unbeaten aren't we?

I then had a horrible flash back to 17 August 1985. First game of the season away to Leicester City. EFC had just bought Gary Lineker from Leicester to give added spice to the fixture. We were Champions of course and Leicester had bought no-one in close season so we went to the old Filbert Street expecting the Blues to win easily and Linker to bag a debut hat-trick.

You've guessed it – score was Leicester 3 EFC 1 and the reserve Leicester CF scored 2. His name was Mark Bright... what ever happened to him? Degsy scored for us.

Lightning doesn't strike twice.... does it ?

Mike Gwyer
51 Posted 05/08/2014 at 12:39:48

Gerry Quinn #49

Is Jack Barmby good? Championship good? YouTube good? Playing for England good? FIFA 2014 good? And the solid question now – Premier League good?

Wasn't quite sure what to think other than who gives fuck, we have got far better players.

Barry Earley
52 Posted 05/08/2014 at 13:30:47
Will Lukaku play?

If he does will he start or come on as sub?

The reason I'm asking is he's only just come to us post World Cup and I have a feeling he is not expected to be match fit for the first couple of games. How will Martinez introduce him?

The same question could also be asked of several other of our players returning from the WC. This is not just our issue, I read Wenger stating that he doesn't expect his WC players to be ready for a full 90 during the first few games.

Taking this into account would that change anyone's predicted line up? I think the most likely starters are Coleman, Stones, Distin, McCarthy, McGeady, Barry, Osman, Pienaar and Naismith purely down to their lack of WC. That would leave a decision between Robles/Howard in goal and Baines/Garbutt as Left Back.

It's not what I would pick, just what I would expect to see starting with some of the WC players starting and being replaced with others.

Anthony Flack
53 Posted 05/08/2014 at 13:56:37
I like Pablo's team, but I would be very surprised if none of the following three start - Osman, Naismith, Pienaar.....
Tony J Williams
54 Posted 05/08/2014 at 14:08:56
Can't see Stones taking over from Distin and I can't see our club captain being dropped either.

Remember Weir?

Roberto likes Ossie and he will be in there too.

Phil Walling
55 Posted 05/08/2014 at 14:23:46
Given the minor involvement of Barkley, Baines and Jagielka in the World Cup, I shouldn't think they need or could justify extended holidays!

The likes of Rooney, Gerrard, Hart and Sterling seem to have been back in action for yonx but as you keep on telling me... Roberto knows best!

Gabriel Power
56 Posted 05/08/2014 at 18:49:08
This would be my lineup for the game!:

Howard

Coleman Jags Stones Baines

McCarthy Barry

Mirallas Barkley McGeady

Lukaku

Paul Livesey
57 Posted 05/08/2014 at 19:00:40
If was choosing the starting line up and formation for Leicester, at this moment in time this would be it.

Howard

Stones Jagielka Distin

Coleman Baines

Besic McCarthy

Barkley

Mirallas Lukaku

Christopher Kelly
58 Posted 06/08/2014 at 05:50:47
Sorry Anthony,

I don’t want Pienaar or osman or naismith near our starting XI (I can live with Leicester but none after that) ... We go through this every year and every year it gets more obvious that we need better, more athletic, more explosive players starting from the off. Again ill give it a pass for the first game but surely RM has to know this by now

Kieran Fitzgerald
59 Posted 06/08/2014 at 08:54:34
Name our strongest eleven for Leicester. We need to be able to take up from where we left off last season. We have some tough games between the start of the season and the end of September and need to have confidence and consistency in place.

My team would be: Howard
Coleman Jags Distain Baines

Besic McCarthy McGeady Barkley

Mirallas

Lukaku

Besic seems to have a great range of passing and having Mirallas, Coleman and McGeady available to run on to passes or to be available out wide would be vital. I think Leicester may park the bus, given as it's their first PL game and they are away from home.

I think they will tire as the game goes on and Naismith coming on as a sub in the second half will give us the extra chance to score He has scored previously when coming on as the opposition tires.

Beresford McWilliam
62 Posted 07/08/2014 at 07:50:26
I’m not sure why people are talking about a McCarthy-Besic-Barry axis like it would be something to rejoice over... That is an extremely defensive midfield. Besic, yes, has accuracy in his passing but a creative outlet he is not. Statistically from the World Cup this was his greatest weakness compared to other midfield holders/defenders.

Two of the three would do me and Mirallas is a must for me. He was greedy as fuck early season but Roberto seemed to sort that out toward the end of the season, fortunately.

I’d shoot for:

Coleman Distin Jagielka Baines
Barry McCarthy
Mirallas Atsu/Pienaar
Barkley
Lukaku

Patrick Murphy
63 Posted 07/08/2014 at 12:18:36
Judging by Roberto's comments in today's Echo - I am guessing that possibly all three of Coleman, Mirallas and Lukaku won't start the game at Leicester City which to my mind is a little worrying. I of course could be wrong and all three may play but don't be surprised if we have an under-strength team for the first game of the season.
Eric Myles
64 Posted 07/08/2014 at 12:57:34
I'm also worried Patrick, I have all 3 in my Fantasy League team!
Anthony Flack
65 Posted 07/08/2014 at 13:31:17
Patrick (63) I have just read the Echo article a couple of times, and would hope that the comments are connected to readiness for the German friendly and not the Leicester game. It starts off positively connected to Mirallas and I understand that elsewhere it is reported that Roberto said Lukaku will not start in Germany.

I prefer to look at things from the glass from a half full perspective I would hope that both Mirallas and Lukaku will start against Leicester - and maybe be withdrawn at 60 minutes........

I think Leicester will be tough as they will be motivated as back in the Premiership etc.

Peter Z Jones
66 Posted 07/08/2014 at 21:35:15
Howard

Coleman Jags Distin Baines

Besic McCarthy Barkley

McGeady Lukaku Mirallas

Subs: Robles, Browning, Stones, Barry, Osman, Pienaar, Naismith

Honestly, I just can't believe how good Besic is. When you really think about his game, what can Barry or McCarthy do that he can't? He's the most athletic of the 3. He's the best long range passer (Averaged NINE accurate long balls per game in the World Cup). He's easily the best dribbler. He is as aggressive in the tackle and makes quite a few interceptions. I'm giddy about his potential really. Although he'll likely be eased into the team because he's young and hasn't played in the prem before, this is our most explosive lineup in my opinion, and the one I'm most excited to see long term this season.

Brent Stephens
67 Posted 07/08/2014 at 22:26:15
Peter Z, I'm very much in agreement about Besic. The two games I've been to when he's had a half in both games he really caught the eye. Subtlety with steel. Iron fist in a velvet glove.
Raymond Fox
68 Posted 07/08/2014 at 22:44:45
The Leicester game will be tough, their 1st game, full house with crowd going wild.

Any ones guess who'll start, Howard, Coleman(fit?) Baines, Distin, Jags? Ossie! McCarthy, Barry,
Actually I give up, I've no idea.

Our best team - Howard, Coleman, Baines, Jags, Distin, Barry, McCarthy, Barkley, Pienaar, Lukaku, Mirallas.
Besic to replace Barry, McGeady for Pienaar at half time.

Clive Lewis
69 Posted 08/08/2014 at 23:35:34
Leicester will play quite direct so the defence needs to be ready we should have jags and distan because of the ability in the air. The passing in the middle will be critical. The leicester midfield is not the best, even there fans admit this. If we pull them out wide it will leave gaps I'm the middle. Mirallis is a must.., not sure about Pienaar been shocking for a while. Barklay will hopefully be the difference in the middle. Would like to see besic in that position if things are not going to well.
Andy Finigan
70 Posted 10/08/2014 at 11:03:25
I woke up at 5:30 this morning and yesterdayÂ’s performance got me thinking about our team for the opener. My team for the game:

Howard;
Coleman, Jagielka, Distin, Baines;
Atsu, McCarthy, Barry, Mirallas;
Barkley,
Lukaku.

I think this team gives us the extra pace needed.

From some of the other threads, Atsu will be a sub (if signed) and Coleman may not be risked. Lukaku and Mirallas may be a game to early. If this is the case, then my 2nd team selection is:

Howard;
Stones, Jagielka, Distin, Baines;
McGeady, McCarthy, Barry, Besic;
Barkley;
Naismith.

The attack doesnÂ’t fill me with excitement, though.