Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Deulofeu watch

by   |   04/08/2014  Comments (28)  jump

Barcelona played at Nice in a friendly on Saturday (Score: 1-1). The local sports paper here in Catalunya carried reports including, under his photo, half a column about Gerard Deulofeu, who played all of the second half. I thought you might like to hear what they said (my translation):

"The poor first half was changed by the entrance of Xavi, but also by Deulofeu coming on .... he showed that he could be a game-changer.

"Gerard is a distinctive footballer ... electric ... one-on-one ... unlocks defences. His final ball can be improved but he's still young ... he had a good effect on the rest of the team."

It all sounds very familiar don't you think? His season with us doesn't seem to have done him any harm at least.

To finish, I liked the final thing they said about him, that he would be 'una fichaje de lujo'. De luxe, of course, but in our terms? 'Like a new signing'!

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments back

Reader Comments (28)

Tony Page
1 Posted 04/08/2014 at 23:56:52
Doesn't look like we will get him back then, and seeing as the Atso deal looks off, who else is on Roberto's radar for the wide berth?
Karl Masters
2 Posted 05/08/2014 at 00:29:38
Interesting, but he's gone.

The goal at Arsenal will always be fondly remembered, but did not know when to pass a lot of the time and frustrating to watch.

Not coming back.

Michael Kenrick
3 Posted 05/08/2014 at 06:00:24
Dazzling skills... but the end product was rarely there. Still, he was wonderful to watch. I hope we don't miss him too much this season.
Duncan McDine
4 Posted 05/08/2014 at 06:03:21
I could never really understand why so many seemed to love him... Was it simply because he was.from Barca? I know he will improve with age and experience, but for me he was as frustrating as McGeady!
Brian Bleck
5 Posted 05/08/2014 at 06:35:23
Best of luck to him, I will root for him to succeed with Barça.
Ray Robinson
6 Posted 05/08/2014 at 09:06:58
My understanding of 'una fichaje de lujo' is that he would be a "luxury fixture", which could also be interpreted as someone who is a game changer but whom you wouldn't necessarily accommodate from the start of a match. Sort of sums up my feelings towards him – occasionally brilliant but best brought on as a substitute. I'd have him back in a shot but he'd be our David Fairclough, I reckon.
Colin Glassar
7 Posted 05/08/2014 at 09:13:57
I don't know what all the fuss is about this kid. Yes, he's extremely talented, and yes, he will probably have an amazing career but apart from flashes he never really shone for us did he?

Unless he absolutely bombs at Barça we will never see him again in an Everton shirt.

Keith Glazzard
8 Posted 05/08/2014 at 09:22:52
It just struck me when I read it in the bar that I could almost be looking at a TW thread. Anyway, a fond memory, best left at that.

Ray – 'fichaje' definitely means 'a signing' in this context. Apparently in Cuba it can also mean a swindle, and we've seen a few of those in our time!

Terence Leong
9 Posted 05/08/2014 at 10:18:29
"Dazzling but no end product..."

That was what Ronaldo was derided for in his first 2 to 3 years in the Premier League. Common complaints were that he fell over too easily, too many step-overs, not knowing when to release the ball, not enough assists.

Then it all changed when he suddenly scored 23 goals, and shot through the roof with 42 goals in the following 2008 season. Credit was given to his dedication and how Ferguson pushed him in the right direction.

So Deulofeu might still come good. HeÂ’s young enough. Of course, it is probably a non-issue as he is unlikely to come back again, but we enjoyed it while it lasted.

Ray Robinson
10 Posted 05/08/2014 at 10:38:06
Keith, you've taught me something new, thanks! Only at beginners Spanish level. Either way, he is a luxury player but not sure that we'd want to carry him every match for 90 minutes in the hope that he produces something magical (which he occasionally did – Arsenal away).
Thomas Surgenor
11 Posted 05/08/2014 at 10:47:26
Thanks for the update. I do wish the kid the best in his career.

I have nothing but good memories of him. Hopefully he is talking with the younger members of the Barça squad and telling them how good an experience we were.

Mike Childs
12 Posted 05/08/2014 at 12:05:39
I watched the game myself; while he made some brilliant individual moves, the finished product was never there. Like Duncan said, a very frustrating player to watch.

When is he going to realize that teams never play him for the let off pass? If he'd make a habit of it, it would open up his own opportunities as well.

I'd rather see us use the time on developing consistency in McGeady's game.

Tony J Williams
13 Posted 05/08/2014 at 12:19:51
I thought he hadn't been given a squad number?

If so, surely a cheeky phone call from Bobby wouldn't go amiss, especially as the Atsu deal has hit the skids?

Tony J Williams
14 Posted 05/08/2014 at 12:21:39
Also, no issue with the ACoN.
Colin Glassar
15 Posted 05/08/2014 at 12:31:20
What's the worst gossip/rumour site in your esteemed opinion? For me it has to be The Tim Cahill fan page, absolute rubbish and I don't think it's got one prediction right so far. Closely followed by TalkSport and most of the daily rags. Shocking lack of credibility.

As an example, talkShite recently linked us with a ٥m move for Carlos Bacca; today they are saying Zenit St Petersburg are going to agree to his buyout clause of, wait for it............ 㿃m!!! Unbelievable as Kammy would say.

Robbie Muldoon
16 Posted 05/08/2014 at 12:42:31
Never have I been out my seat as much when a player got on the ball than when Deulofeu tore the arse out of Stoke City last November in a 4-0 home win. He was galloping through on goal everytime he got the ball, even from his own half. Very exciting player to watch when he clicks into gear.
Michael Winstanley
17 Posted 05/08/2014 at 17:31:12
Edge of the seat stuff from Geri, loved watching him play. Yes he was frustrating at times but we all knew when we watched him go on his mazy runs if a player in blue made his way to the back stick he'd have a tap in.

Hopefully we'll pick him up next summer.

Peter Mills
18 Posted 05/08/2014 at 20:44:30
He's going to be very good.
Ben Jones
19 Posted 06/08/2014 at 00:02:11
He was that option on the bench that came on and thought "he could change the game"..

He was by the far the most skillful and talented of the wingers, but unfortunately as all the ilk of young talented players, extremely inconsistent,

Did anyone realise that we had Barkley, Lukaku and Deulofeu, who were all talented but inconsistent as hell? Those three would be quite a front three in a few years.

But basically the norm is we can't afford a Mirallas i.e a consistent winger, so we can only young talented players or diamonds that need polishing i.e McGeady. So hopefully Martinez can come up with the goods in that one... I don't rate Pienaar anymore and other than Mirallas, need a genuine first teamer in the winger positions. Looks worrying, hopefully McGeady will come good.

Gavin Ramejkis
20 Posted 06/08/2014 at 00:46:14
Deulofeu had pace and some nifty footwork but far too often didn't look up or pass, scared the living daylights out of left backs though. Would love to see someone like Brahimi who played number 8 shirt for Porto in Ossie's testimonial, Algerian lad, superb football skills, plays midfield or winger, way out of our league I suspect, he scored against the Koreans in the World Cup.
Drew Shortis
21 Posted 06/08/2014 at 08:53:24
Gavin,
I was also impressed with Yacine Brahimi at the World Cup but he has only just signed for Porto so won't be going anywhere for a while. They paid €6.5 million so he would have been affordable and I'm sure that if Martinez had put in a bid he would have been tempted by the Premier League draw. In no way out of our league, I guess Martinez just didn't want him.

A few weeks ago we were all worried about the lack of business and that everything would be done on deadline day. Its good to know that the key players we needed are in ready for the season and whatever business we do between now and the deadline will be strengthening the depth of the squad. If Martinez can pull off the same kind of deals he did last year we could end up with a very strong squad!

Amanda Huddleston
24 Posted 07/08/2014 at 08:31:17
I thought Barca were suspended from any transfer activity?
Andrew Ellams
25 Posted 07/08/2014 at 09:10:45
That was lifted a while back, Amanda, which is why they were able to buy Sewer Rat.
Jimmy-Ã…ge Sørheim
26 Posted 07/08/2014 at 21:14:16
The thing with him is that he can only play in games where we are in control.

He is terrible defensively, though few wingers are good at that he also lacks the goals in order for him to be deemed good enough in my view.

My only fear is that we can not replace him, personally I would go for the Celta winger.

Roberto simply has to buy him or Lukaku will not be enough.

Dave Abrahams
27 Posted 07/08/2014 at 21:26:58
Del Boy would have been remembered by everyone if he would have scored or passed in the last minute when he opened up the Man. City defence and gave the title to the Dark Side!
Gavin Ramejkis
28 Posted 08/08/2014 at 01:04:51
Going on our pre season games and second string showings I'm worried about Europa and any cup runs as these are players likely to get game time, we need at least another winger as Pienaar and McGeady have shown very little so far and come injuries/suspensions they are all we have.