Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Season Predictions

by   |   10/08/2014  Comments (80)  jump

The usual special supplements are being distributed with national newspapers, discussing the prospects for the season ahead, and there does seem to be a significant return to 'normal service', if my own paper is anything to go by.

The conspiracy theorists explained away Man Utd's 'poor' last season, by the genius 'Sir Alex' realising it was time to go as he had an aging squad, largely past it and in need of wholesale change. Since Moyes was removed and the new messiah 'King Louis' has signed up, how things have changed!

As far as I can see, two new recruits, a midfielder and an 18-year-old full back have signed up, but the prospects for the season ahead have been transformed – so Moyes left a great team of potential champions after all!

Of the Daily Mail's ten so-called experts, eight have Man Utd finishing back in the top 4, with one having them down as Champions. (One of the remaining two naysayers is the Merseyside writer, Dominic King!) Of the ten experts, six (!) predict silverware for Man Utd – and only two think Liverpool will finish in the top 4.

Of course, none think Everton will get into the top 4, and a generous lone writer thinks we will win a piece of silverware – the League Cup (Spurs and Newcastle also have one nomination each).

I'm going to keep my copy, and sincerely hope to be using it for what it was meant for next May, hung on a nail in a small room at the bottom of the garden.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments back

Reader Comments (80)

Colin Glassar
1 Posted 10/08/2014 at 14:36:42
Man City and Chelsea to battle for the title. Arsenal for 3rd. 4th between us, the RS and Man Utd (Spurs won't figure). I think we could win a cup as well.

I'm looking forward to a memorable season.

Richard Nelson
2 Posted 10/08/2014 at 14:55:28
I can’t see EFC finishing higher than 7th this season – hope I’m wrong!

Just imagine any of the other contenders losing to Leicester, Celta Vigo & Paderborn, just wouldnÂ’t happen... weÂ’re toothless!!!

Kunal Desai
3 Posted 10/08/2014 at 15:11:53
Chelsea, City and Arsenal to finish top 3. Man Utd to just edge out Liverpool for 4th. Everton to finish 6th ahead of Spurs.
Quarter finals of both FA Cup and League Cup and last 16 of the Europa league.
Anthony Flack
4 Posted 10/08/2014 at 15:21:04
Chelsea
Man City
Arsenal
Everton
Man Utd
Liverpool
Spurs

Why not? Sorry rhetorical question for sake of thread.

Europa league semis

Quarter final league cup

Fa cup semi

Lukaku leading scorer in premiership...

Colin Glassar
5 Posted 10/08/2014 at 15:33:57
Man u will have a flood of new players in in the next few days which will cause major disruption in the first few months. Our noisy neighbours will have a decent season, but not as good as last season. Spurs will flatter to deceive so that gives us a great chance of getting fourth place. Carpe Diem.
Dean Adams
6 Posted 10/08/2014 at 15:34:00
Chelsea and Man City are head and shoulders ahead of Arsenal. As Colin says 4th will be a foot race between LFC, MUFC and EFC although I would not dissmiss THFC from that race. Whatever happens we will be top 7 at worst. Hopefully having seen the pre-season that RM has delivered we will be putting great effort into our European conquest. So I will go for getting to the Europa final as the cherry on the cake. At that stage, losing would not be an option.
Patrick Murphy
7 Posted 10/08/2014 at 15:45:56
I don't think there will be much alteration to last season's positions although I have a sneaky feeling that Arsenal will be better equipped this season to mount a more prolonged challenge in the race for the title. Chelsea under the chosen one will not lose very often but may not win enough games. Man City may not be as consistent this time around and the holy grail for them will be the Champions League. United and Liverpool will remain a thorn in the side of those three teams and one of them will undoubtedly mount a serious challenge.

As for Spurs and Everton... who knows? — it could be a monumental season for either or a damp squib for both. Top ten with a trophy would satisfy me as a Blue, but truly I'm not sure what to expect but I hope we create plenty of chances in the coming season and that we get to watch some good performances that is why we invest in season-tickets to cheer on an Everton side who are performing to the best of their abilities.

Linda Morrison
8 Posted 10/08/2014 at 16:09:27
I think this will be a transition season for Everton. I would be surprised if we did as well as last season as the team is more or less the same in terms of numbers and we have Europe to contend with.

I think we will finish 6th or 7th. Although I expect us to be looking at the top 3 within a few seasons.

I can't see why all the usual suspects are going for Chelsea. They will miss Lampard a lot and only have 1 striker of note.
I think it will be

Arsenal
Chelsea
Man City
Man Utd
Liverpool
Everton or Spurs

I do think we will win a cup as we have Romelu who can score goals.

Colin Glassar

Chelsea
Arsenal
Everton
United
Spurs
Liverpool

I don't think we can do any better than 4th, no worse than 6th, same as last season.

Joseph Terrence
11 Posted 10/08/2014 at 16:28:15
Chelsea
City
Manure
Arsenal
Everton
RS
Spurs

This is assuming Manchester United bring in Cuadrado another defender and a world class midfielder. They certainly are lacking in depth, but without Europe to worry about, it shouldn't be as big of a problem.

Peter Barry
12 Posted 10/08/2014 at 16:35:26
As Arsenal are currently and deservedly spanking Man City at Wembley in the Community Shield maybe some of you guys may want to change your projections?
Greg Mckerracher
13 Posted 10/08/2014 at 16:52:25
I was really worried about this being Roberto's 2nd season and the fact all of our main rivals are looking seriously sharp - that was until I watched the link below. I forgot how unbelievably good we actually are.

Peter Z Jones
14 Posted 10/08/2014 at 16:54:39
Nope.
Kev Johnson
15 Posted 10/08/2014 at 16:46:11
I think this calls for a TW poll. How about it, eds?

I gazed into my crystal ball and saw the first three - Chelsea, City, Man Utd - then the wretched thing went on the blink. So I'm in the dark about 4th-7th.

Hold on, it's flickering... Arsenal to win the Community Shield! Oh no... it's gone off again!

Paul Tran
16 Posted 10/08/2014 at 16:58:44
I always expect us to finish top six.

Chelsea, City and Arsenal will fight out the title.

Us, Utd and Liverpool will fight out 4th to 6th. If we don't get top four, I'd happily trade our league position for a trophy.

I expect us to be better for having one season under Martinez and a relatively settled side with injured players to return, so I won't hear any talk of a 'transitional' season. Why shouldn't we improve?

Pre-season has been puzzling to say the least. My biggest concern with Martinez is his idea of starting slowly and 'getting into' games. Is this spreading into starting the season slowly too? I'd like to see us start every game on the front foot, dominating from the off.

Still, can't argue with what he did last season, so I'm happy to trust his judgement for now.

Mark Frere
17 Posted 10/08/2014 at 17:04:07
Man City
Arsenal
Chelsea
Liverpool
Everton
Man Utd
Spurs

Europa League winners: Everton
League Cup winners: Everton

We qualify for CL by winning Europa League and that means Redshite miss out. Yeah... I'll settle for that!

Robbie Muldoon
18 Posted 10/08/2014 at 17:13:48
1. Chelsea
2. Man City
3. Liverpool
4. Man Utd
5. Arsenal
6. Everton

Europa League to leave us hamstrung in the league this season I'm afraid.

David Greenwood
19 Posted 10/08/2014 at 17:21:34
1.Everton
2. Arsenal
3. City
4. Chelsea
5. Utd
6. Spurs
7. RS

Fingers crossed!

Ben Dyke
20 Posted 10/08/2014 at 17:24:22
Haha David. I always predict pessimistically so I don't get too disappointed! Everton to finish 5th again but bag a cup.
Ray Roche
21 Posted 10/08/2014 at 17:24:54
I'll have a pint of what David's having.....
Kev Johnson
22 Posted 10/08/2014 at 17:31:14
I think a couple of sips would probably do, Ray! Drink responsibly
David Greenwood
23 Posted 10/08/2014 at 17:26:13
I have said on other threads, I think this season is wide open.

City, need to do well in Europe, might, take there eye off the ball in the league,
Chelsea, too many egos and not enough talent to match, its all going to go wrong there.
Arsenal, better going forward but still the same midfielders and defenders that go missing when the going gets tough.
Utd, cant attract any big names, and Young, Nani, Welbeck, Da Silva, Valencia and so on are still the same shit, regardless of the manager.
THFC, always implode
RS, signings quantity over quality, Brenda to get found out as teams don't let them counter attack this season.

And us, we have not become a poor team over the summer. We were a nats whisker from fourth last season, will still be up there this season.

Shane Corcoran
24 Posted 10/08/2014 at 17:40:45
I havenÂ’t a bloody clue.
Paul Ferry

Coventry 2 Everton 1

Europa Cup Quarter-Final:
Everton 2 Liverpool 2
Liverpool 2 Everton 1

James Stewart
26 Posted 10/08/2014 at 18:15:09
I’ve a sneaky feeling Man Utd will win, I think. Something about LVG that just gives them an edge. Their front 3 is also the best in the league and they will strengthen further. Chelsea will be close. Arsenal and Man City below that so I will go:

1. Man Utd
2. Chelsea
3. Man City
4. Arsenal
5. Spurs
6. Liverpool
7. Everton

Despite finally spending, I donÂ’t think our business (Besic aside) has been that impressive at all. Our pre-season preparation has also been a joke with our best players only rejoining us a week before the season starts.

Phil Walling
27 Posted 10/08/2014 at 18:27:24
Everton to finish two places below last season........ish !
Dave Abrahams
28 Posted 10/08/2014 at 18:26:22
Shane Corcoran, an honest man; IÂ’m with you.
Jackie Barry
29 Posted 10/08/2014 at 18:33:32
Man city
Man U
Everton
Chelsea
RS
Arsenal
Spurs
Mike Allison
30 Posted 10/08/2014 at 18:25:04
If it was predictable we wouldn't need to watch it. We have a chance, that's all I need to make me excited. We have four chances to be successful actually, let's just hope we take one of them.

Would love to see us match last season whilst sustaining a Europa League campaign into the latter stages, and to do this I think we'll see more from squad players and maybe younger guys as well.

Raymond Fox
31 Posted 10/08/2014 at 18:38:22
We might yet get a couple of exciting loans, along with a cheaper type buy that could transform our season up a notch, lets hope so.

As far as the league goes, I think it depends what players Roberto chooses to pick for the Europa games,
That will probable determine where we finish in the prem.

As it stands now I'd say 5th-7th.
With a 1 or 3 more good or class players 4th-6th with everything crossed.

Nigel Gregson
32 Posted 10/08/2014 at 18:34:51
@DavidGreenwood : Totally agree, this season is an open canvas. Here are a few things I think will happen :

1. The shite will struggle, they really will. Other teams will wizen up to them and without Dracula, they won't be half as threatening. Furthermore, they will have the same problems as Spurs last year, in incorporating a large number of foreign buys into the PL.

2. Spurs will be the surprise packets. Their best (and only) buy was Pochettino, who will absolutely change their style and use their squad to its full potential. Watch out for them - as they have some scary good players who have had a year of continuity now.

3. United won't do as well as most people think. The media circus and fan pressure will be too much for Van Gaal. If they lose 5-6 games by Christmas, the knives will be out.

4. Chelsea will do well in their usual boring style, but no better than they did last year. They will be top 4 contenders, but not winners. I’m not convinced about Costa. They really missed a trick by letting Rom go.

This leaves me with the two teams that will compete for top 2: Arsenal and City.

5. City should win. They have continuity and stability and everything else a club could desire to have in terms of resources. But then as the community shield demonstrated, sometimes that is not enough.

6. Arsenal are one player away from being the champions. That one player is Sammy Khediera, a true box to box dynamo.

But what about us? Well it's hard to say. We have looked rubbish in preseason. We haven’t actually added anyone other than Besic to the first team squad. Not all of our long-term injured are back and we have lost a match winner in Gerard D. I think Martinez has a plan where he’ll make some moves really late in the window and he’ll really surprise us with who he gets (think Kagawa, Milner, Micah Richards, Lacina Traore, Cleverly or others with high amount of quality). Based on this we could be knocking up 4th place. If we don't add more quality, however, we’re looking for a fight to 5th between Man U, Liverpool and us.

Phil Walling
33 Posted 10/08/2014 at 18:49:32
I agree, Mike but the first three matches will give a firm indication of 'whether we have price' of improving on last term.

I've never subscribed to the 'see where we are in November ' view. Lose three or four games early on and we're fecked!

Mark Taylor
34 Posted 10/08/2014 at 18:58:07
If there are no new faces, I'd say 7th is the most likely. We haven't added to what we had last year in terms of playing staff but we will have EL as a distraction (albeit one I hope we commit to trying to win).

Paul Hewitt
35 Posted 10/08/2014 at 19:08:33
1 Chelsea
2 Man City
3 Arsenal
4 Man Utd
5 Liverpool
6 Spurs
7 Everton
Patrick Murphy
36 Posted 10/08/2014 at 19:03:38
Rubbish Phil - losing games early on will not help the cause but it will not derail the season completely - have you forgotten how often we had to wait for an inordinate amount of time before we won a home match? Sometimes as late as Halloween - the Premier League is a marathon not a sprint or remember when we won the first three matches of the season and had to wait until the last match of the season to secure our PL status. A good start would be welcome to give us a bit of momentum but it isn't necessarily an imperative for the Blues to have a good season. Pragmatically I would take remaining unbeaten in the first three games but obviously it would be fantastic if we could win the opening half-a-dozen games.

See where we are in March/April before we concede any hope of honours or CL places - nothing is decided in August or Christmas but a team has to be in the mix come the latter stages of the season if it wants to achieve stuff.

Tom Hanrahan
37 Posted 10/08/2014 at 19:06:01
As long as we finish within ten points of Arsenal... ThatÂ’ll do for me! Have a season long chunky match bet with a mate at work: Everton +10. Although after watching our Arsenal today, IÂ’m not so sure 10 points will be enough!

If, heaven forbid, Lukaku was to get injured, we could be in big trouble! I wouldnÂ’t normally read too much into pre-season friendlies but we have leaked a few too many for my liking!

Phil Walling
38 Posted 10/08/2014 at 19:24:07
Patrick; we only lost 8 games last season and fell short. The leading teams often only fail in 5.

I know hope springs eternal but with so many Evertonians it is always 'jam tomorrow'. Even now, people are dismissing August on the basis that 'the loan signings' will arrive in numbers on 1st September. With you it is 'judge us after Crimbo' ! Why not wait until Easter.

Am I being reductive again ?

Kev Johnson
39 Posted 10/08/2014 at 19:35:16
Phil, we dropped 6 points in August and 6 points in April. Why do you think one is more important than the other?
Ian Hollingworth
40 Posted 10/08/2014 at 19:38:15
Sounds like I am hedging my bets here but with this league, luck regarding injuries and impact of Europa league then we really could finish anywhere from 4th to 8th.
I always want us to win it of course but if I have to pick then 6th it is.
I hope I am wrong and we are celebrating the champions on here come May next year!!
Zaid Omar
41 Posted 10/08/2014 at 19:41:51
Confidence cannot be great after a disastrous pre season , and given that we have Arsenal and chelsea at home in our first 3 games, the Leicester opening game in my view does take on extra significance... If we somehow lose the opening game , confidence will be rock bottom going into arsenal and chelsea.. We then face the very real possibility of going into international break in the bottom 3 !!

I would back Chelsea for the title , followed by Arsenal , City and then United..

Patrick Murphy
42 Posted 10/08/2014 at 19:52:04
Phil - I really do try to see things from your perspective but I often fail to see what it is - perfection apart - that you want from a football team. I realise that the other clubs will in all probability not lose many matches during the season and hopefully Everton won't either - but it is the number of wins which dictates the top four places and even now despite everything we still don't have the real fire-power to challenge the Box Office clubs.

Actually Phil I am a big believer in that old cliché take it one game at a time and then see where we are come the end of the season. Everton's 1984/85 vintage didn't get off to the best of starts and it wasn't until Christmastime until they started to show their pedigree and even then it was the end of March beginning of April before we could categorically say that we would have a good chance of becoming Champions.

A year later we went to Anfield beat them on their own midden and went several points clear but due to an injury to Southall and a hell of a run by the other lot we ended up as runners-up. Also a team not so far away from Goodison was in poll position in last season's run-in and threw away a three goal advantage and with it the title.

Football cannot be and never has been predictable, but it has always been a case of the best defences and or the best attacks will generally end up with the prizes - we are still a little way short in both departments but it doesn't stop me hoping.

Darren Hind
43 Posted 10/08/2014 at 19:55:12
Patrick# 36

I agree with you that the PL race is a Marathon, but I liken it to the Grand National. if you don't negotiate the first few fences, you neednt concern youself with the rest

I believe we will do it, but we need to get everything right. Including the start,
The race is tough enough without conceding early ground.

Mark Griffiths
44 Posted 10/08/2014 at 20:04:24
1 Arsenal
2 RS
3 Man Utd
4 Chelsea
5 Man city
6 Tott
7 Everton

EL SF

FA Cup SF

LC 4rd

Patrick Murphy
45 Posted 10/08/2014 at 20:25:45
Most of the Bookies have us rated as seventh to finish in the top 4 with the usual suspects finishing above us - so seventh it is then!
Dan Brierley
46 Posted 10/08/2014 at 20:24:55
It all depends on how we line up in the centre of the park for me. Another season of Barry and McCarthy will not be creative enough to break into the top four, they just do not create enough chances. If Martinez is willing to gamble and we see more of Gibson and Besic then I think we will score more than we concede.

We have to start looking to win games by getting forward quickly, instead of avoiding to lose them by playing two holding players in the middle of the park. I see this as our only limitation in the side, as I genuinely think Barkley could have a cracking season as long as he doesn't have to come deep. If we can start breaking forward with pace, and our players are willing to take risks then we have a chance. If we field a conservative approach with players playing 3 yard sideways passes just to keep possession then I think it will see us as best of the rest (7th).

Tony Abrahams
47 Posted 10/08/2014 at 20:23:01
Patrick we beat Man Utd 5-0 and won at Anfield in October 1984, this was surely when we started to show our pedigree.

DonÂ’t ever look into pre-season but league football has changed dramatically in the last ten years. The best teams always took at least half a dozen games to get going but every point seems more vital these days.

We have a canny manager, but is he a gambler? By all accounts we donÂ’t seem ready, but is Roberto gambling on it being a longer season than usual?

I hope it is, as IÂ’m genuinely more interested in the cups this season, and feel that this is the best way forward for our exciting young team!

Helen Mallon
48 Posted 10/08/2014 at 20:43:13
I have a terrible feeling that we are going to have a shocker of a season. I truly hope I'm wrong, but I have thought all pre season that Roberto has been faffing about how other teams are going to play, setting up our team to stop them instead of the other way round. We need to be more dynamic in going forward and hibbert Alcaraz. and Robles should not play any part in the prem unless we are in real trouble, they are not good enough.
Andy Crooks
49 Posted 10/08/2014 at 20:54:49
Good point, Dan. We need to create more and two holding midfielders seems more like the previous regime.

Mark Frere
50 Posted 10/08/2014 at 21:41:51
Dan,

We did accumulate 72 points with the McCarthy/Barry axis last season - and the partnership served us very well for the most part. But there were certain games like Crystal Palace (away) when they parked the bus and we didn't need 2 such defensive minded midfielders in the side at the same time. Its such a nice luxury to have Gibson, Besic, Barry and McCarthy this season; all of them offer something a little different... and all 4 of them can play big part. I don't think Barry and McCarthy will always be guaranteed starters in the PL; it will depend on the opposition we are playing against.

Paul Andrews
51 Posted 10/08/2014 at 21:45:13
I feel the Barry-McCarthy partnership should remain. They give the full backs license to get forward, both at the same time which is unusual.

All in all I would keep the partnership. The back four look more vulnerable when they donÂ’t play together.

Mike Allison
52 Posted 10/08/2014 at 21:49:18
Nigel, 32, I can't agree with you about Arsenal mate. They will be exactly the same as they always are, because they've spent their money improving the areas of the team where they're already strong, instead of addressing weaknesses (for the second year running).

They have no spine and have just sold their captain. Anyone they bring in in the next two weeks will have to adapt, probably to a new league, as I don't see who they'll sign from an English club.

Last year they spent 㿔M on Ozil, a quality player, but a player in a position/role they were absolutely over-stocked in. This year they've spent 㿏M on Sanchez, again, an absolutely quality player, but someone who plays in the same position as Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (as well as at least one promising young player). Arsenal are at least three players away from getting anywhere near a title challenge, and it's a centre back, a central midfielder and a centre forward, all of whom would need to be big personalities and leaders, as their squad completely lacks that quality at the moment.

Even if they had Jagielka, Barry and Lukaku they'd be a damn sight better off, but with that 㿷M they could have targeted Thiago Silva, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Zlatan Ibrahimovic and been a genuine force in European football.

Anthony J Owens
53 Posted 10/08/2014 at 21:46:56
I’m not that interested where other teams finish as long as it’s below the Blues. The usual suspects (ie; the oil firm), will battle it out for the title, but consider this: would you put all our eggs in one basket and concentrate solely on winning the Europa League?

Why not! The winners qualify for Champions League, and to win it you only have to win 8 games – 3 in the league format, and 1 each in the knockout stages of 32, 16, 8, 4, and the final – as long as the victories in the knock out games are of better aggregate.

Therefore, we are qualifying for the Champions League over 8 games as opposed to 38 games, which, in my opinion, is a bridge too far for the Blues. Plus I think the type of game we now play will make us better equipped for European football than seasons before.

Ah, sod it, let’s win the premier league as well – just to prove it wasn’t a fluke.

Nigel Gregson
54 Posted 10/08/2014 at 22:02:55
@MikeAllison - good point, I totally forgot about them selling Vermalen - what's going on there !!! Now both them and United will try to sign some last minute center backs. I hope this doesn't happen until AFTER we play them.

That said, look at how they thumped City today....

Dan Brierley
55 Posted 10/08/2014 at 22:12:34
Yes, it certainly gives us more options Mark. I am in the minority that thinks 13 million was too much for a player who's biggest attribute is 'having a good engine'. Besic cost us a third of McCarthy's price, and has already shown a lot more promise in my eyes. You can learn how to close down and cover ground, but you can't learn 40 yard cross field balls or the confidence to take three players on. Those skills you either have or you don't. I am really excited about that lad, as he could well be a player with the ability to transform defence into attack quickly. Fingers crossed.
Mark Frere
56 Posted 10/08/2014 at 22:30:50
I too am really excited by Besic, Dan, but we haven't seen how he performs in competitive games for Everton yet. His range of passing, footwork and energy all look top drawer... I am a little worried about him being a little rash in the tackle though.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree regarding what McCarthy brings to the table; its been done to death on several occasions by me, yourself and others.

Dan Brierley
57 Posted 10/08/2014 at 22:45:07
I think they could compliment each other well Mark, as Besic likes to get forward so will need covering.

Yes he is odds on to get sent off for us this season, as some of the more experienced PL players are going to wind him up with ease. But I have no doubt that side of his game will come, he is still only 21 after all.

Rob Madigan
58 Posted 10/08/2014 at 22:39:34
1 Arsenal
2 Everton (FAC winners) (LCup winners) (EL winners)
3 Man City
4 Chelsea
5 Spurs
6 Sunderland
7 Newcastle

Trust Martinez to blow the league.... bottler.

Geoffrey Caveney
59 Posted 10/08/2014 at 23:53:03
1. Chelsea
2. Man City
3. Everton
4. Arsenal
5. Man U.
6. RS
7. Spurs
Surprise team: Leicester City to finish in top 12

But perhaps an early exit from Europa, with Robles in goal.

FA Cup Champion

Besic too good to be a sub, will start at center-back alongside Jagielka so that we can keep the Barry-McCarthy partnership too.

So the primary Starting XI to be Howard, Jagielka, Besic, Baines, Coleman, Barry, McCarthy, Mirallas, Barkley, Atsu, Lukaku.

Michael Winstanley
60 Posted 11/08/2014 at 00:33:38
Man City
Arsenal
Everton
Chelsea
Spurs
United

Jason Lam
61 Posted 11/08/2014 at 02:37:10
Manure will definitely improve over last season. The shite have lost their main striker and you can only play 11 players. Chelsea, Arse, City will be in the top4, if we can show arrogance we will join them ahead of manure, rs and spuds.
Tony Rice
62 Posted 11/08/2014 at 04:59:26
League 6th
Europa R16
FA Cup QF
League Cup WINNERS
Jamie Sweet
63 Posted 11/08/2014 at 05:07:50
It's very difficult to predict before the transfer window closes. Some teams may still improve considerably. If Man Utd add a couple of world class centre backs for example, they will start looking far more formidable.

For our own chances of success, I think another class striker needs to be added before September. As things stand, an injury to Lukaku would see us in all kinds of trouble.

Add a bit more fire power to our squad, and top 4 would start looking much more realistic. If not, I think we'll be looking at somewhere between 5th and 8th.

I'd like to think we'll be enjoying the latter stages of at least one cup competition too.

John Daley
64 Posted 11/08/2014 at 05:31:02
I don't see United bouncing straight back after the beating their confidence took last season. Too many teams overcame the fear factor formerly associated with Old Trafford last season for them all to suddenly turn up with their tails stuffed back between their legs. Van Gaal is also a notoriously slow starter when taking charge of a new club. Van Persie will spend more time in the treatment room than on the pitch, Try as he might, Rooney can't turn back time and is basically trapped In the body of Tyrone from Coronation Street. Central defence is a glaring weakness for them.

The RS have lost their one genuine world class talent. They wouldn't have been in sight of a title challenge without him last season. Gerrard's another year older. Lallana and Lambert will struggle to reproduce their Southampton form and will end up as one of the most mocked double acts since Milli met Vanilli.

Spurs are simply Spurs, irrespective of who's in charge.

If we start off well, then fourth is definitely attainable. A repeat of last seasons points haul might well be enough.

Sam Hoare
66 Posted 11/08/2014 at 06:46:29
On paper we have an inferior squad in my opinion to Chelsea, City, United, Arsenal, RS and possibly Spurs. From our team last season we have currently added Besic and lost Deulofeu. Some young players may push forward but some older ones may fall back. We will hopefully have an extra 10-15 games in Europe to contend with.

I'm afraid I can't predict any better than 6th in the league. Our best chance is in the cups and though I think we may struggle in Europe I could see us having a good run in the league and/or FA cup.

Christopher Timmins
67 Posted 11/08/2014 at 06:52:52

In my opinion the best case scenario given the transfer dealings to date is:

1. Chelsea
2. Arsenal
3. Man City
4. Man United
5. Everton

The change of manager at Man United is worth at least 10 points to them. We lack the lack the numbers necessary to do well in all competitions. With just a couple of days to go to the big kick off where are the extra players, 4 was the number quoted, that the manager said we needed? In addition the amount paid on the striker was over the top, about 6M over the top. Liverpool will be the Spurs of 2013/14 and Spurs will be Spurs.

Phil Walling
68 Posted 11/08/2014 at 08:21:33
I love it how Evertonians can pick their first SEVEN and not include the RS.
Good on ya!

Trouble is, I think most of us are in denial. Down there, we all know that they will be' there or thereabouts' - particularly at derby time.

Peter Bell
69 Posted 11/08/2014 at 08:27:01
My old man used to tell me Morecambe and Wise were funny.
Not for me I am afraid.
I need to tell him about Daley & Ruane.
Funny as F"""
2 - Man City
3 - Arsenal
4 - Everton
5 - Liverpool
6 - Man Utd
7 - Spurs

FA Cup: Man Utd (No Europe, they will go all out for a trophy)

League Cup: Chelsea to beat someone shite like Burnley in the final. We go out in the Semi-final to said shite team after all the fancied teams draw each other.

Champions League: Bayern Munich.

Europa League: Everton. Stones's Paneka penalty wins us the cup after a tense final. We fall behind to a scrappy goal before Hibbo, a replacement for the injured Coleman, marks his last appearance for the blues by crashing a Trevor Sinclair-esque overhead volley into the top corner to send the travelling Scousers into raptures. Hibbert later tells Greg O'Keefe, his official biographer.... "After the goal, I knew I had to stop, it was safest for the public: people don't need civil unrest on the scale we witnessed that night. I know it was a screamer but, friggin' hell......the riot!"

Niven Teh
72 Posted 11/08/2014 at 12:56:15
My crystal ball says:

1. Arsenal
2. Chelsea
3. Man City
4. Everton
5. Liverpool
6. Man Utd
7. Spurs

Sean Patton
73 Posted 11/08/2014 at 14:19:11
Whoever wins the Charity Shield never has a good season: you only have to look at who won it last year for proof...

But on to matters Everton:

League - 6th
Europa League - Quarter Finals
FA Cup - Semi Finals
League Cup - Winners

Player of the Season - McCarthy
Young Player of the Season - Besic
Top Scorer - Lukaku
Goal of the Season - Barkley

Geoffrey Caveney
74 Posted 11/08/2014 at 15:01:50
Summary of the predictions in the comments so far for Everton's place in the league this season:

1st: 2
2nd: 1
3rd: 3
4th: 5
(In Top 4: 11)
5th: 5
6th: 8
7th: 7
(Out of Top 4: 20)

Average prediction is 5th.

Jimmy-Ã…ge Sørheim
75 Posted 11/08/2014 at 16:36:46
Between 5th-8th. This season is bingo. I have no idea if we will have Lukaku injury free, also we have no real alternative to him which is just bad managing.

I preferred the safety of having ready and able back-ups, but it is new and kind of nice to think of 2-3 new youngsters showing their worth.

I have great faith in our U-18 side and I think Martinez should look to them when looking for back-up in our attack.

I can not see Long, Hope, Lundstram or Kennedy making it this season.

The way I see it the closest are Garbutt, Browning and Ledson.

After them we have many exciting attacking players in our U-18 side.

The question becomes will Martinez dare to use any of the U-18 players in the first team?

Denis Richardson
76 Posted 11/08/2014 at 18:04:16
Winner: City or Chelsea
3rd: Arsenal
4th: Everton or Manu
6th: Spurs or RS

We will get to a cup final (and hopefully win) - not sure which one out of the three though....

We need key players to stay injury free and in form for most of the season as our 2nd XI is barely good enough to avoid relegation, nevermind top 4. Rom has to score at least 15 league goals and the likes of Mirallas and Barkley need to be pushing double figures to take the pressure off Lukaku and we can't rely on Coleman to get 5-7 goals every year.

Paul Mackie
77 Posted 11/08/2014 at 18:34:27
Man City
Chelsea
Arsenal
Red Shite
Man U
Everton
Spurs

We will win the Europa League though and take our place in the Champions League at the expense of that shower from across the park.

Ask me again on September 2nd though as anything could happen between now and then. Far too early for this prediction nonsense!

Geoffrey Caveney
78 Posted 11/08/2014 at 22:20:13
Denis (76), is our 2nd XI really just barely good enough to avoid relegation? I agree there's a weakness in goal, and I understand Hibbert is getting old, but still if we get Atsu and Traore then our 2nd XI could look like this: Robles/Stanek, Stones, Alcaraz, Oviedo, Hibbert, Besic, Gibson, and up front our choice of Pienaar, Traore, Naismith, Osman, McGeady and Kone. No way the bottom of the league could compete with that.
David Ellis
79 Posted 14/08/2014 at 08:52:56
Sean Patton 73 - I think you need a bigger sample to suggest that the Community Shield winners always have a bad season. After all who won the Charity Shield in 1984 and went on to have their best season ever???