Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Manuel Fernandes

by   |   13/08/2014  Comments (30)  jump

As I was perusing all things Everton, I came across an old name that revived some thoughts, none other than Manuel Fernades! One of the hacks was pushing his name forward, saying that Roberto may have missed out not bringing him on a free transfer to Goodison?!?

I personally don't think so, for several reasons and I really think this hack was probably bored, as Fernandes is now plying his trade in Russia... although he did score a cracker, see goal below..... Fernandes scores a screamer in Moscow.

I will never forget him dumping us for Valencia back in 2007 or thereabouts, assuming that was the truth of course!? I think he is water under the bridge and, even if Roberto did fancy him, would any blues out there really want him in the squad?

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments back

Reader Comments (30)

Paul Hewitt
1 Posted 14/08/2014 at 18:20:16
Fernandes was a great player and I do think he would have been a good signing for Martinez.
Peter Laing
2 Posted 14/08/2014 at 18:25:06
Big time Charlie in my opinion, the Valencia decision soured his initial loan spell and the second coming wasn't worth the wait. Everton circa 2014 are much better than the standard of football Fernandez is now plying his trade at.
Dick Brady
3 Posted 14/08/2014 at 18:31:10
Fernandes shook hands on a deal at Everton. He was guest of honour at whatever match Everton played that night. He sat proudly as Bill Kenwright's VIP and all the Everton fans saw him. He soaked up the love and attention that night.

Then the next day he signed for Valencia because they offered more money.

I'll never forgive him. Don't know what he's doing now, don't care to know.

Paul Hewitt
4 Posted 14/08/2014 at 18:38:42
LetÂ’s not forget big Dunc left us for Newcastle for more money but he was welcomed back.
Christopher Kelly
5 Posted 14/08/2014 at 18:52:00
Players are mercenaries. That’s the way it goes nowadays. Accept it or root for a Championship side. Still enjoyed him and was grateful to have "talent" like his. He hit some through balls that other players would cream their pants for...

Always thought we needed more talent like this and less of the hardworking but limited guys we’ve had for years. Would’ve sped up the progress by 5 years if Moyes had some vision and guts. thought he would’ve learned but I guess now he’s resorted to wrestling guys at the local wine bar.

Wayne Smyth
6 Posted 14/08/2014 at 18:53:14
Dick, did Valencia offer him more money or did Valencia offer Benfica more money?

I don't know the answer to this, but my point is you shouldn't spend time hating him if the change of destination was not of his doing. I believe his playing rights were actually half owned by a 3rd party company too, so if I were a betting man I'd put my money that he actually had very little to do with the fact he didn't sign for us.

David Chait
7 Posted 14/08/2014 at 20:37:01
I catch up on this guy quite often.. about 2 or 3 years back it looked like he may be coming with twitter going nuts.. but it was all internet gossip.. even he commented he would love to come back if wanted. Him and Arteta are for me so fat the best Everton midfiled partnership I have seen post 80's... they both could thread the pass and seemed so in tune together.

We played some fantastic football with him in the side. Great talent wasted his career with a terrible decision to join Valencia and this stupid 3rd party ownership not helping. He was made Besiktas captain I believe so was doing well but time has moved on for the lad. This for me was the most gutted I have ever been about a transfer falling through...

Would have taken him back any day of the week, even last season.... now with Besic... we're ok.

Mark Griffiths
8 Posted 14/08/2014 at 20:52:38
I've said it in another post but to some degree we already have a Manny Fernandes and his name is Besic. He may not be quite as attacking as Fernandes but in terms of ball control, technical ability and his movement he really reminds me of him.
Ernie Baywood
9 Posted 14/08/2014 at 22:05:51
He may have got more money, Paul, but that's not why he moved
Ray Roche
10 Posted 14/08/2014 at 22:38:05
Paul Hewitt @4

Paul, Ferguson didn't jump ship for more money, in fact, he was sold by Peter Johnson behind Walter Smiths back and against his will.

Ray Roche
11 Posted 14/08/2014 at 22:43:36
Sorry Ernie, didn't realise you'd beaten me to it!
Jackie Barry
12 Posted 14/08/2014 at 22:49:12
Didn't Walter stand up to Johnson after the sale of Ferguson and pretty much said it's you or me buddy.
Mike Green
13 Posted 14/08/2014 at 23:02:05
All fur coat no knickers. Glad he didn't sign for us then, would be horrified if he signed for us now. Water so far under the bridge now he's on a raft out to sea with Riquelme.
Ste Traverse
14 Posted 14/08/2014 at 23:45:56
I remember Fernandes taking the piss out of the Arsenal midfield in that game were Andy Johnson scored that stoppage time winner in a hailstorm.

He looked a real player that day but really didn't kick on and his second loan spell with us was a disappointment. Doubt he'd fit in now.

Alex Parr
15 Posted 14/08/2014 at 23:57:44
Paul - Ray and Ernie have both alluded to it, but Big Dunc was not a mercenary in the way he left. The interview he gave was almost heartbreaking, like one of us being forced out of Everton, although yeah I do appreciate he got a lot of money for leaving, but maybe sometimes its not the be-all-and-end-all...

By way of provoking some thought, if Dunc gave an interview like that on joining US rather than leaving us, and glorified a former club on making his record transfer fee move to us, can you imagine the bleating we would all be coming out with? Took a massive amount of guts to say what he said in my opinion, and I for one will always back him.
#bigdunc
#evertonianforlife
#burglarbatterer

David Ellis
16 Posted 15/08/2014 at 02:51:26
Always thought that big Dunc was hugely overrated as a player. But top Evertonian no doubt and did not leave us voluntarily for money or otherwise. Actually it was a good deal for us because Newcastle paid way over the odds for him and he did not really perform for them. It also led to the departure of Agent Johnson and his replacement with our current owners..despite Kenwright's faults he is a much better chairman than his predecessor.

Meanwhile Palace are doomed! Imagine waking up to hear that Martinez had left two days before the start of the season. Utterly disastrous for them

Matt Traynor
17 Posted 15/08/2014 at 06:08:49
Ernie, Ray, a good friend of mine is a Geordie, and he showed me a fanzine that Ferguson gave an interview to not long after he joined them.

The interviewer was obviously delighted at this coup, and after introductions, asked how it felt to be at the great NUFC.

"Shite" was the one word answer.

When the interviewer recovered his composure and pressed him, he said the only reason he was at the barcodes was "because Everton didn't want me".

David #16, my view of Ferguson is his was potential unfulfilled. I can never really comprehend the legend status he was accorded so quickly, although with the paucity of decent footballers at the time – and he was one no doubt, it's perhaps understandable.

Conor Waters
18 Posted 15/08/2014 at 06:52:25
Ste #16 I was at that game and without a doubt it was a masterclass by Fernandes. At one stage he was crowded out by four Gunners on the halfway line, when he somehow wriggled free via some fancy footwork, leaving none other than Fabregas flat on his arse. Great day that. But he's one for the history books, all about this nutter Besic now...
Steven Scaffardi
19 Posted 15/08/2014 at 08:12:48
My favourite quote in that Big Dunc interview: "Maybe Bakayoko can be the answer."

Peter Bell
20 Posted 15/08/2014 at 08:20:03
For the record, it was John Collins who told Walter Smith about this great centre forward in France called Bakayoko. So Smith bought him for ٢.5M based on what he told him and had never seen him play.

He turned out to be gash. Johnson wanted his money back and sold Ferguson behind his back.

Kieran Fitzgerald
21 Posted 15/08/2014 at 08:53:50
David, major fuck up at Palace. Pulis would have been exactly the manager they would have needed to help them push on. Sometimes the second season for a newly promoted club can be the most difficult. Pulis would have been the manager to keep them in the division and gain some stability.
Jim Lloyd
22 Posted 15/08/2014 at 09:04:12
Paul,

Duncan was sold by Johnson because we were up shit creek financially and not far off going bust.

Peter Bell
23 Posted 15/08/2014 at 09:04:22
OFM for Palace it is then
Peter Bell
24 Posted 15/08/2014 at 09:06:38
Jim 22
But Smith wasted ٢.5M the month before on Bakayoko.
Ray Roche
25 Posted 15/08/2014 at 07:39:45
Conor, this might be the bit your talking about,

James Stewart
26 Posted 15/08/2014 at 14:36:31
A quality player... but another case of talented wasted.
Jay Harris
27 Posted 15/08/2014 at 17:17:43
To straighten the record Fernandes said that despite Kenwright claiming he was signing in the morning Everton never offered him a contract so when Valencia did he was advised to accept by his agent.

Depends on who you believe but our chairman does have previous in this department.

Roman Sidey
28 Posted 17/08/2014 at 00:30:32
Since about 14 months ago, I have opened my mind to anything being possible during the Moyes era, and I don't think that Moyes would ever have gambled the 㾶+m Fernandes was going to cost on him. I watched him playing for Besiktas a few times last season and he seemed to still have a lot of ability. At this stage, if he played for Everton again, I'd be okay with it, but I certainly don't dream about it.
Mark Pierpoint
29 Posted 17/08/2014 at 01:17:48
He gave us some great memories. I honestly remember being gutted when he turned us down for Valencia, but surely it is time to let him go now? I am surely not the only one fed up of the periodic mentions of him?
Clive Rogers
30 Posted 17/08/2014 at 17:25:20
My recollection is that in his first spell he was a young average player with some potential, but in his second period he had lost his way and was poor.