Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Lewis Holtby (again)

by   |   20/08/2014  Comments (33)  jump

I see our Evertonian mate, Lewis Holtby is once again being mentioned with our great club! According to SportingPreview.com we are the favourites to land him and I would love to have him in our squad.

I think he's a good fit, good footballer, unselfish, good engine!

I really think he would suit Roberto and I hope this latest rumour is true. What do the other Bluenoses reckon then?

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments back

Reader Comments (33)

Robin Cannon
1 Posted 21/08/2014 at 02:24:28
Always wary about getting into negotiations with Spurs. I'd like Holtby - as well as providing some Barkley cover, he'd also be a good long term addition to the team as well. Would be a good permanent deal if the price is right, but knowing Levy we'd get held to ransom.
Andy Kay
2 Posted 21/08/2014 at 03:42:06
Is he really that good? Can't remember him being a stand out in any of the games I've watched him in. I think being a blue is the reason we get linked .
Julian Wait
3 Posted 21/08/2014 at 04:08:50
Well they also think "Malkay Mackay is set to be unveiled as the new Eagles manager " and that’s not happening by all other accounts, so I won’t hold my breath for this until Colin Glassar says something about it ... ;-)
David Ellis
4 Posted 21/08/2014 at 04:21:20
I am not sure he is that good to be honest. He interviews well, has a great back story and is a blue..but that's not enough. If he is good enough then where would be play, I think he is a No.10 so would be a long term replacement for Osman and back up for Barkley. Can he play deeper midfield role or out wide as well? For a dedicated No.10 I think we need somemone with more to offer than a good engine and a good attitude. He might be a good squad player but I am not sure that is what Holby wants (he's a squad player at Spurs).
Terry Murphy
5 Posted 21/08/2014 at 04:44:17
I'd love all our players to be Everton fans, but paying Levy's price for Holtby doesn't make much sense to me.
Matt Traynor
6 Posted 21/08/2014 at 05:00:44
Terry #5, being Everton fans would just mean extra pressure on them. Or maybe the fans would give them a pass - I mean look at Osman and Hibbo....ok maybe not!

I think the problem is Spurs managerial merry-go-round means they'll be looking to move a lot of players on. If Pochettino doesn't want Holtby, they will try to extract 㾶m+ for a player signed in January 13 for ٟ.8m - he'd already agreed to join them on a Bosman so his club took what they could get for him then.

Like others I'm yet to be convinced he has what's needed for us. We could always try something radical - loan him with a pre-set price if we buy!

Karl Masters
7 Posted 21/08/2014 at 06:09:46
Loan with view to buy makes most sense.

I agree that there is a growing trend of Clubs like Spurs and Chelsea signing players as investments as much as anything. They buy either young or players near the ends of their contracts and then flog them on for more after either giving them modest playing time or loaning them out.

Steven Pienaar is a great example, but Lukaku, possibly Atsu in the fullness of time, and others like Ryan Bertrand and Lewis Holtby.

We actually did the same with Jermaine from Leeds as well although I think that was more luck than planning. I'll always have good memories of his goals fo us at Anfield and Stamford Bridge and that full length of the pitch run and goal versus Chelsea at Goodison! I also loved the way Ken Bates said we had stolen him from Leeds and then we infuriated him again by doing something similar with Luke Garbutt. Shut up Bates!!

Perhaps if we had given some game time to Mustafi and Dier we would have reaped similar rewards?

Mark Tanton
8 Posted 21/08/2014 at 07:27:06
Any move for Holtby would involve having to deal with Levy - and who wants to do that? He had us over a barrel for Pienaar thatÂ’s sure.
Mike Allison
9 Posted 21/08/2014 at 07:35:42
Never been impressed with him and he can't get in a Tottenham team who finished below us.

Also, he chose to join Tottenham ahead of interest from Everton. Whilst not knowing how serious we were or what we did about it, it kind of gives the lie to the 'boyhood blue' stuff.

Mike Allison
10 Posted 21/08/2014 at 07:41:30
Apparently Arsenal might be 'scuppering' our bid to sign Clement Chantome from PSG by signing Adrien Rebiot from them because they will only sell one or the other.

Do we have a bid to sign Clement Chantome?

Johnny Francis
11 Posted 21/08/2014 at 09:52:34
I watched Lewis Holtby in the Bundesliga with Schalke and in the Premier League with Tottenham and Fulham (Loan). Holtby is a fantastic player, he can play wide and in the center of the midfield. He wasnÂ’t given the chance to prove himself with Tottenham.

Anyhow, I think it will be TottenhamÂ’s loss if they sell him in the summer. Holtby will fit pretty well with Everton. Robert Martinez knows how to handle young players. If Everton do bring him, you will see the difference.

Adam Williams
12 Posted 21/08/2014 at 10:05:37
In truth, I would really like this deal to materialise. HeÂ’s exactly what we need regardless of the Barkley injury. He was a fantastic talent in Germany, albeit his development has stunted at Spurs, but heÂ’s industrious, very creative, excellent technique, can fill a number of positions including the number 10 role currently under scrutiny with BarkleyÂ’s injury and is no slouch. However his creativity is his biggest asset, as we often lack that Â’killerÂ’ pass to split a defence. He also has Europa League experience, if not Champions League when with Schalke and young player at 24.

I recall the Fulham game away last season, in which we won, but at times struggled he was excellent throughout.

Also Mike (#9) I refute the implication that because he canÂ’t get into a Tottenham team that finished below us, heÂ’s not a good player or worthy of a place in the Everton team/squad. Kagawa couldnÂ’t get into a United team that finished below us, neither could Hernandez, does that automatically make them bad players? Okay, perhaps playing devilÂ’s advocate there but just because a player doesnÂ’t start for a team below us, doesnÂ’t mean he can’t thrive at Everton and under Martinez.

David Ellis
13 Posted 21/08/2014 at 10:40:27
Karl #7 - its certainly become common for some clubs to stockpile players and then loan them out. But I don't this they do this to generate revenue - its a high risk strategy. Players don't necessarily go up in value (Velios) and you have to pay their wages which can dwarf any profit on their sale even if their value does go up. OK if they are loaned out to a top club you may get the salary covered, but if they go to a lower league club that definitely will not be the case.

I think they do it because they know they can't tell which players are going to come good so they buy a bunch of them and hope they become good players. The really good ones join the first team squad and the rest they sell off and try and re-coup what they can, but I don't think anyone makes money from doing this as an end in itself. The benefit is in getting and keeping a top player.

Nicholas Page
14 Posted 21/08/2014 at 11:14:57
Julian #3

Colin Glassar (on Main Story board last night re Martinez recruits)
87 Posted 20/08/2014 at 18:46:03

Holtby is being mentioned.
------
So, could be some truth in it

Barry Stevens
15 Posted 21/08/2014 at 11:59:20
He's a good player. Plenty of experience for his age. Can play playmaker or wide. I know plenty of Spurs fan's who rate him and can't understand why he gets no game time. Performed well at Fulham on loan last season aswell.

Re turning us down for them. Whilst at Schalke he gave a few interviews stating his alliance to us. I don't think we ever really went in for him to be fair.

Tony J Williams
16 Posted 21/08/2014 at 12:10:30
I like him, he has the touch of The "Cahill's" about him.

A nasty little twat in midfield, we haven't had that since......ermmm... Cahill

Nicholas Page
17 Posted 21/08/2014 at 12:10:24
Agreed Barry, would be an excellent addition. More Osman than Barkley for me. 23, and has been through German national system all the way up to senior. Not a player to be sniffed at IMO. Typical Spurs though - that filthy get of a Chairman would be looking to profit big time, I reckon.
James Stewart
18 Posted 21/08/2014 at 13:20:02
Holtby is a good player. IÂ’ve watched him a few times. Hard working, quick, and can pick a pass. He would be an upgrade on Osman.

Swansea are getting Stambouli for ٣M which is incredible value.

Dave Lawley
19 Posted 21/08/2014 at 13:00:52
I'd love Holtby at the Everton, forgetting he's a blue, he ran the attacking play at Shalke, everything went through him and the ball got moved forward with pace and quality. He finds space, one or two touches and he finds someone in a forward position, something we really need at the club. I don't think he has been given a real crack at no 10 at spurs, he's generally played out wide and yet Barry is right, I too know a few spurs lads who really rate him, and they are typically fickle.

Also in this case I think Karl is right, Levy saw an opportunity, an international player going cheap, he either makes it at spurs or gets sold for a big fee, Levy is happy either way.

Harold Matthews
20 Posted 21/08/2014 at 13:43:39
On returning from Brazil, Martinez stated three words which described the way football is going. Dynamic, Intense. Brave.

For me, that is Holtby. Star man for German U21s, magic left foot, great movement, non-stop, wants to win and can both shoot and create. Laid on all 3 Spurs goals in their last pre-season friendly. He gets omitted because he is not a big powerhouse. So what. I'd have him tomorrow.

Norman Merrill
21 Posted 21/08/2014 at 14:24:10
I think the lad would be a good addition to the squad, providing of course the fee is right?
Somehow don't think Roberto is as keen..?
Dean Barton
22 Posted 21/08/2014 at 15:31:00
Can we stop trying to sign short arses. We hardly ever convert set pieces and look vulnerable defending them. There isn't enough height or strength in the team!
Lyndon Lloyd
23 Posted 21/08/2014 at 15:54:31
Not that I think Martinez will sign another midfielder before the deadline but Holtby is playing for Spurs in the Europa League tonight which would cup-tie him for the season.
Harold Matthews
24 Posted 21/08/2014 at 15:49:16
Dean. Difficult to argue with your last sentence but would have added bravery and determination. Our two big lads, Distin and Lukaku, seldom get 4 inches off the ground. Unlike those 5 Chelski monsters who expect to score from every corner.
Stephen Brown
25 Posted 21/08/2014 at 16:25:42
I too worry about defending set pieces. Distin, Jags, Barry, Barkley and Lakaku are all 6ft plus so there shouldn't be a major issue but the attitude, positioning and aggression has to be spot on. Also Roberto needs to put the full backs on the post.
Linda Morrison
26 Posted 21/08/2014 at 16:31:40
I don't think Roberto will be concerned if he is cup tied as he has a good few other options.

Truthfully though we are still too short on numbers, in the striking area especially.

I know I keep harping on about this but all I am hearing is LFC signing anything that moves and we have only added 1 additional player in Besic.

If the money is being earmarked for a new stadium fans should be told and then we would know that at least there is along term view!

Brian Harrison
27 Posted 21/08/2014 at 16:53:20
I have never been impressed by Holtby either for Spurs or Fulham, a very average player who would not improve our squad in terms of quality. I think it is one position were we have plenty of cover, I would prefer we look for another striker ideally either Remy or if we have to sell to finance the deal then Bony.
Paul Ferry
28 Posted 21/08/2014 at 19:02:57
LIND - 26: Â’I know I keep HARPING on about this but all I am hearing is LFC signing anything that movesÂ’.

DonÂ’t worry Linda just settle down, get comfy, and enjoy the soap opera that will be Liverpool FC this season. It will be a merry-go-round quite literally as Brenda struggles to remember who everyone is and where they play and will Bollocktelli itÂ’s out of the frying pan and into the fire. You would have thought getting rid of the racist cheat that they would have learned their lesson.

So, get comfy, enjoy our season coz it will be a lot better than some say - there will be incoming before September-3 - and have a lard at the soap opera across the park.

ItÂ’s like the royal family except that we donÂ’t have to pay for this particular implosion!

Phil Roberts
29 Posted 21/08/2014 at 19:08:40
Boyhood Blue because his Dad is a lifelong Blue.

Chris Holtby - are you on here? Do you have any influence over that kid of yours? Pick the phone up and tell him you will make his father the proudest man on earth.

Colin Glassar
30 Posted 21/08/2014 at 19:51:10
Linda, not to worry, Agent Mario will soon wreck any team spirit the RS might have right now. I can see him decking Creasehead before too long.
Sam Hoare
31 Posted 21/08/2014 at 19:59:43
Is he actually available? If so then get him.
Mark Griffiths
32 Posted 21/08/2014 at 20:05:07
If he does sign then he won't be eligable for the EL! Have to get this off my chest....but spurs are really annoying me with the way they always keep getting late goals including tonight, would love nothing better than to stuff them at some stage in the EL.
Karl Masters
33 Posted 22/08/2014 at 10:03:25
Mark, console yourself with the thought that we put two goals past Spurs in injury time less than two years ago at Goodison to snatch an unlikely victory.

On a general note, they were only three points behind us last season and I expect it to be similarly close this time around.