Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Free love

by   |   01/05/2015  Comments (9)  jump

Jagielka said he expects this to be a busy summer, transfer wise. Mr Martinez has said we should expect some new faces (I paraphrase). We all know we are not going to be splashing the cash like Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City etc, but there will be a lot of quality players available on free transfers*, and surely even we can afford free? Right?

For example, striker-wise, Luis Adriano or Danny Ings would both be good signings...

At centre-back, Ron Vlaar, Chiellini, Terry, [*coughs*] Wes Brown, all available, as is Rio Ferdinand (again yes I know, old and past it)

Any way.... Freebies abound. Here’s a few, although I admit Dani Alvez is a bit of a stretch.

Carlos Zambrano (Eintracht)
Adama Traore (Barcelona)
Van Der Vaart (Hamburg)
Noble (West Ham)
Reid (?? – might have resigned)
Pandev (Galatasary)
Abate (Milan)
Vlaar (Aston Villa)
M’bia (Seville)
Barton (looks he is a blue, and um....)
Maxi Pereira (Benfica)
Toulalan (Monaco)
Rabiot (PSG .... again yes I know...)
Gignac (Marseille.... well it’s out in December like but perhaps a cheeky bid)
Fabian Schar (Basel)
Ayew (not really news this one.... )
Konoplyanka (Dnipro)
Delph (Aston Villa)
Yarmolenko (spelling laaaad, Kiev- he’s none too shabby I heard)
Did I mention Dani Alvez? Oh okay, erm...
Johnson (Liverpool)
Suso (Liverpool)
Arteta (Again!)
Uchida (Schalke)
Giovinco (Juventus)
Kabul (Spurs... although Daniel Levy would still squeeze a few mill out of us)
Milner (Man City)
De Jong (ex-Man City, now Milan)
Lichtsteiner (Juventus)
Drogba (Chelsea)
Klaas jan Huntelaar (I can just see the headlines now... 'Klaasy Toffees rout Liverpool')
Ivanovic (Chelsea)

These are just some of the talent on offer, and there is a few names in there I would be really happy if we got. Free love anyone?

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments back

Reader Comments (9)

Patrick Murphy
1 Posted 01/05/2015 at 16:32:15
I hadnÂ’t realised that Delph was available on a free, IÂ’d prefer him to Cleverly, however, always wary of players putting on a show shortly before their contract expires. Some of those players in the list are older than our aging group so no thanks.
Nick Entwistle
2 Posted 01/05/2015 at 16:38:54
Nope, Delph signed a contract earlier this year.
Andy Mack
3 Posted 01/05/2015 at 17:21:13
Did Arteta not sign a 12month extension as well? IÂ’d love it if we could find a version of Arteta for our current midfield. ItÂ’s the missing link with Rom, Mirallas and Lennon in front of him.
Peter McHugh
4 Posted 01/05/2015 at 18:24:24
Funny article - Adriano ...no chance! I suspect villa freebies are obtainable, ie Vlaar & Cleverley and think on frees would be good acquisitions.

The one that stood out for me but I don't know if any good still is Van de Vaart. Exactly the kind of Ayer we require. The other was Milner but I suspect little chance of enticing either.

Peter McHugh
5 Posted 01/05/2015 at 18:28:52
Sorry "Ayer" meant "player" - damn auto text !
Ross Edwards
6 Posted 01/05/2015 at 18:23:35
Schar, Konoplyanka, Ayew, Gignac IÂ’d take. Milner would be useful. Nigel De Jong wouldnÂ’t be too bad either. Bit of solidity and experience in midfield which would allow McCarthy to move further forward.

If we sign them, which would be highly unlikely, plus Lennon and another we could line up like this in a 4-1-4-1 system:

Howard
Coleman Schar (or Jags) Stones Baines
De Jong
Mirallas (Lennon) Macca Barkley Konoplyanka
Lukaku

Possible bench: Robles, Garbutt, Naismith, Barry, Milner, Gignac, Ayew

Purely fantasy football and unlikely that any of them will happen but imo that is a Champions League challenging squad provided we hold on to our top players. We definitely need competition in every area with at least 3 in each position.

Dominic Tonge
7 Posted 01/05/2015 at 22:44:51
If there is a couple on there that are not available due to signing contracts, I apologise, I didnÂ’t mean to be misleading. The point stands though that we would be able to add significant quality.

Ayew is a possibility.
Van set Vaart would be good.

As for Adriano, why no chance , he is playing in a war zone and no one has come in with a huge offer. The Premier League is a big pull. If Hamburg can get Van set Vaart so could we, or Huntelaar. I am not tipping us to sign a rake of world class talent, but neither am I taking the proverbial, I really think some of the names we are being linked with are real dross compared to these.

John Zapa
8 Posted 02/05/2015 at 10:04:35
The concept of a Â’Free TransferÂ’ is very misleading. First of all there is a sizable sign on fee that would be applicable, depending on the profile of the player and the demand for his services. It could be in the Hundreds of thousands of pounds, or even millions. Agents feeÂ’s are sizable and applicable.

The most expensive part of a Â’freeÂ’ transfer would be higher wages the player would command than say if a fee was paid for his services to another club. This additional 㾶-20k/week over the lifetime of his contract would add up to significant sums.

That said, itÂ’s still an important part of the business model to make a Â’freeÂ’ signing or 2 each season; I canÂ’t see this summer being any different.

Eric Myles