Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

This Summer

by   |   05/05/2015  Comments (14)  jump

This summer is massive. Whatever your opinion is of Kenwright, of Martinez or this current crop of players, we have come to a crossroads. We either need to refresh, rebuild and apply ourselves like a team and Club who want to go places, or if we don’t we carry on making do, we find ourselves in a similar position to as we are now this time in 12 months.

This manager needs backing, he has the lure to attract big name players – as he has done, for which he deserves praise – but he also needs to realise some of the mistakes he has made too. Alcaraz, McGeady, Kone to name but three. Roberto has been too stubborn this season, he has refused to adapt or to change, to admit his faults (nobody would blame him for doing so). He has stuck with his favourites and stuck with tactics at times when we just needed something different.

His motivational speeches need to stop, I’m all for being positive but that man takes the biscuit and it doesn’t wash with our fans. In his first season he got away with it because everything we did as a Club seemed to work out, it turned to gold, but this season and in numerous transfer windows in recent years, we’ve been found out. Out with the dead wood and in with the new. Build an Everton we want to see, a vibrant force in this League and a team who CAN compete consistently. Will we ever get that under Kenwright’s stewardship, I very much have my doubts.

Whilst many have gone before me in criticising Bill and this Board and the way things operate at EFC, I felt compelled to write something here, you only get 120 characters to have your say on Twitter so I’ve had to get this down in an article – albeit a lengthy one. I love the Club and I always will, and I am not just saying this because we’ve had a poor season, but the older I am getting and the more I am giving to Everton in terms of time, patience and money, I just don’t feel like I am getting it back in return. It starts from the top to the bottom and a lot of it is leaving me disgruntled.

As family values of a Football Club go and in the community we could not be any better, but in terms of our commercial performance, our partnerships and retail arrangements, our financial transparency and openness to fans we are piss poor. We always seem streets behind everyone else, even as a brand, on social media and the way we market ourselves, I honestly feel like I could do a better job myself! I might sound overly critical here but a lot of these thoughts have been brimming for a while now. I haven’t written anything for a couple of months but I can’t help but have a say on all of this, it’s sort of been building up.

I’m worried that we will never kick on, I’m worried that younger lads like me will never taste silverware again and I worry that unless we actually take a few chances in how we operate or apply ourselves we will always be left wondering ‘what if’. Let’s live life on the edge a little, try something new or maybe take a gamble from time to time – we are too set in our ways, we play everything safe and carry the ‘plucky’ and ‘simple’ tag in everything we do. Premier League football is such a big business these days, but it appears to me that our current owners are just happy to exist in this League – because whilst we are in this League the money will continue to roll in. The Television money is ridiculous, but why are we always left selling players, loaning players, and making do with Goodison Park how it is?

These are just a handful of things you could ask of the Club, I know anyone reading this will probably have many more, and it all makes for one big frustrating situation we find ourselves in. It’s a balancing act between staying loyal to the Club, continuing to support the players and the manager – which I always will – but also having lots of other annoyances in the back of your mind, questions that never get answered and theories about how and where the Club is going. Our fans battle it out amongst themselves because we can’t rely on anyone to give us answers, the Club aren’t interested and the press certainly aren’t too.

Who can you trust? The answer is nobody. Make of it what you will, form your own opinions and make a stand for what you believe. We are all part of this Club – supposedly one big family – but there’s certainly a few dodgy members of that family that will continue to be questioned and for the sake of all Evertonians’ sanity it is about time we had some answers.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments back

Reader Comments (14)

Helen Mallon
1 Posted 05/05/2015 at 09:43:42
Hi Mark, good article. The only thing that is going to give this board a kick up the backside is mass protests inside the ground, with banners and songs of Kenwright out. This will work. I can’t believe that he gets away with it and the rest of the board. Would we still have Peter Johnston if he was a Blue? – ask yourselves that.

Protests – that’s the answer.

Andrew Ellams
2 Posted 05/05/2015 at 09:54:32
Helen, KenwrightÂ’s skin is thicker than a whole herd of rhinos. He will leave when he decides itÂ’s time and not before. WeÂ’re stuck with him for a while yet.
Patrick Murphy
3 Posted 05/05/2015 at 09:44:25
Poor performances out on the pitch always result in disquiet and annoyance from the supporters, but this time I believe there is more than the usual moaning and groaning and there are serious questions that need answering. Whether those answers will be provided by the club is debatable, the track record suggests not.

Walton Hall Park is the elephant in the room and the fact that not much is being said in public may suggest that wheels may be in motion but how much of an impact will that project have on the first-team?

It may be that the club will have to slash budgets to raise the necessary funds to achieve its dream of relocating, I await a glossy brochure dropping through the letterbox sometime in August explaining how this new era requires funding and why x or y player has been or is about to be sold.

My post is full of caveats because that is the only way I can guess at what might be occurring, given we as fans have very little information at hand to form a view on events at Goodison.

There is a vacuum of communication between the club and its fans aside from it asking for our money for next season. In fact all communication from the club is one giant sales pitch and contains nothing of any real substance.

There is little doubt with or without a ground move, the club is at a cross-roads and it needs to get a lot of stuff right this summer, whether that be retaining or dismissing the management team, holding onto key players, reducing the age of the squad and cutting away the dead wood, all of this will cost money and require creativity in the market.

This season has been a wake-up call as to how quickly things on the park can go awry and how important it is to have people at the club who can identify and fix the issues as efficiently as is possible.

Those that run the club should not remain silent observers and merely put their trust in those they have hired to keep things ticking along, they have to make demands, they have to set targets, they should seek explanations as to the why and how situations got out of control and impacted on team performances and if those hired hands require help they should back them, if those hired hands have let the club down they should fire them.

This summer is very important but it might take until the following summer before we see the answers.

Kunal Desai
4 Posted 05/05/2015 at 21:28:02
Nothing will change in the summer. One or two players in and we still fall short in numbers and quality. You know what will happen, Evertonians will still be glued to social media sites clinging on to hope of more signings or loan deals at 11:59pm 31 August 2015. It's sad but it's the Everton Way.
Ross Edwards
5 Posted 05/05/2015 at 21:35:17
IÂ’m not optimistic about the summer personally. I donÂ’t trust the board to provide Martinez the funds he needs. I think itÂ’ll be Lennon, Henen and probably Cleverley and thatÂ’s about it.

This board is standing still and weÂ’re rapidly being left behind. Even West Ham when they move to the Olympic Stadium will become bigger than us and a bigger attraction for investment.

WeÂ’re an irrelevance.

Tom Bowers
6 Posted 05/05/2015 at 21:57:21
Sad to say... as long as Martinez is at Goodison, things will not change. It may take another season for Kenwright to wake up. We all realise now that last season was a fluke and this season has been a real wake-up call.

Most good teams are built on strong defence and Everton have been caught wanting in that department. Despite the full back pairing of Coleman and Baines neither have done very well defensively this season and, in the heart of the defence, EvertonÂ’s dominance aerially has been weak.

Barry has been poor most of the time and James McCarthy has been iffy although much better moving upfield. Without improvement in this department, Everton will still struggle next season, no matter who comes into the offence.

Roger Helm
7 Posted 06/05/2015 at 16:22:13
Even if he does get the budget, can we trust Martinez to spend it wisely? He has had four windows now and what has he done? McCarthy and Lukaku are good but way too expensive, Besic is a moderate squad player, Barry was too old when he signed, as was Hibbert, and we all know about Kone, Alcaraz, Atsu and McGeady.

A club like ours with a board who refuse to fund us properly or to develop the commercial side needs a supply of bargains from the lower divisions, which is what Moyes was good at, finding Baines, Stones, Jagielka, Lescott, Coleman, Cahill, etc. Somehow I canÂ’t see Martinez doing this, or even bringing our youngsters through.

Unfortunately I think this summer will be a disappointment.

Trevor Peers
8 Posted 06/05/2015 at 16:42:13
I think we all now realize Roberto is not comparable to Moyes in the transfer market. Whatever we think about their abilities as managers, Moyes had an uncanny knack of spotting young talent and the ability to groom them into great players for the blues.

Assuming Roberto is kept on, I canÂ’t see him adding the right players we need and his insistence on holding on to older injury-prone players will be his downfall.

Dave Ganley
9 Posted 06/05/2015 at 22:39:48
Good article Mark, straight from the heart. I definitely do agree that I don't actually trust the people who run our club, least of all the chairman and certainly not the manager......

I wouldnÂ’t trust our manager with the kids' pocket money let alone another transfer kitty. So in that respect, I agree with Helen #1...

we need to protest to at least let the present incumbents know we are not in the least bit happy with what is going on at the club. If we continue to say nothing in public then nobody, not least the people who run OUR club will take any notice and continue to be/pretend to be oblivious to the fans feelings.

James Flynn
10 Posted 06/05/2015 at 22:55:32
Helen (1) - has it.

Sad to see this thread was immediately reduced to what Martinez or Moyes can/did do; two employees. Really?

Re-read what Helen posted.

Alan Ross
11 Posted 13/05/2015 at 18:19:51
As long as the choo choo is still running on the main line absolutely nothing will be done.
Trevor Peers
12 Posted 13/05/2015 at 18:38:46
Helen is right of course, but most blues fans have had all the fight knocked out of them, after so many broken promises. Besides BK is nowhere to be seen these days. Is he ill or in hiding?
Tony Abrahams
13 Posted 15/05/2015 at 21:39:36
It was the sentence that said you honestly think you could do a better job yourself, that made the most sense to me Mark.

This is the reason I am so depressed with my club, right now. ItÂ’s in the wrong hands, and itÂ’s been getting slowly destroyed for years.

Everton, the team which has played the most top flight games in English Football cannot be sold? ?????????

Dick Fearon
14 Posted 16/05/2015 at 08:52:06
Patrick M, 3, says the elephant in the room is WHP and the silence surrounding it.
I certainly agree with the silence part.
Many times, (at least 5) on these pages I have wondered why we are going through the usual rigmarole with various objectors about the site when right on our doorstep there is one already cleared for development.
I canÂ’t help but think WHP is being deliberately set up as another glorious failure.