Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

The Bird Is Blue

by   |   18/05/2015  Comments (36)  jump

I wasn't feeling very happy as I edged my car towards the exit of the Stanley Park car park after the Sunderland home game.

Then I spotted something which cheered me up. On the back of the car in front was a Liver Bird, in Royal Blue. Below it was the legend "The Bird is Blue."

I'm guessing this has been discussed on TW in the past, but isn't it time we reclaimed our share of the Liver Bird? The symbol of our city has been hijacked by the Dark Side. Many people, even some Scousers, will think that the bird is the symbol of the RS.

I've got a Liverpool Echo T-shirt commemorating our wonderful 1985 season. There's a blue Liver Bird (in this case used as a symbol of the newspaper) on the front of it and I've never given it a second thought – it looks great.

It's time to end this red monopoly of the city of Liverpool's symbol. Let's start using the image on Everton merchandise. The RS will hate it!

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments back

Reader Comments (36)

Lyndon Lloyd
1 Posted 18/05/2015 at 23:38:28
We had a very similar discussion on this in 2013, Steve, so it would be interesting to see if opinions have changed.

I personally like the idea of reclaiming it, not least because of our historical claim to it as the first club in the city and the fact that our first championship medals had the liver bird on them.

Eugene Ruane
2 Posted 18/05/2015 at 23:52:59
I like the idea of anything that irritates, annoys or pisses them off, so yes, absolutely.
Terry Murphy
3 Posted 19/05/2015 at 00:42:00
Let the dark side have the one looking at Birkenhead, weÂ’ll have the one which faces the city.
Paul Kelly
4 Posted 19/05/2015 at 04:40:00
What Eugene said.
Matt Traynor
5 Posted 19/05/2015 at 05:39:21
Terry #3, they could always rotate it to look towards their main fanbase...

ItÂ’s amazing how many of them really donÂ’t know their history... it is like football for them began in the Shankly years. Even if, as we know, from a league perspective the dawn of Sky seemed to be the end of their era.

Best quip I ever heard at a derby: "Fuck off, we were winning championships at Anfield before you lot even existed". And it shut the mouthy RS up.

Eugene Ruane
6 Posted 19/05/2015 at 05:56:11
I remember many years ago in the pub (The Bank House, corner of Windsor St) my mateÂ’s (very blue) uncle, responding to some crowing red. "The famous Kop!?" he said, bemused. "Before Shankly, you had to walk 50 yards across the kop to get a fucking light!" He also insisted "They used to build bonfires on it to keep themselves warm!"
Patrick Murphy
7 Posted 19/05/2015 at 08:30:08
We represent the City of Liverpool as much as the other lot and for longer and therefore anything that highlights that fact is ok by me, we should be entitled to use the Liverbird in its true blue colours and shouldn’t be ashamed of doing so.
Steve Cotton
8 Posted 19/05/2015 at 08:32:42
I believe that the RS have a copyright on the logo preventing anyone else using it. Not sure if that would stand up in court but knowing them, Yes it probably would.
Peter McHugh
9 Posted 19/05/2015 at 08:40:03
It would be petty, small minded and frankly immature to reclaim the liver birds just to piss off the Redshite. IÂ’m all for it.
David S Shaw
10 Posted 19/05/2015 at 09:03:35
We should also reclaim Fields of Athenry. Everton had a version of that knocking round many years before Liverpool done theirs.
Nick Entwistle
11 Posted 19/05/2015 at 12:16:56
This is the wonderful state of modern football when the best a club such as Everton can do is try to claw back some lost symbolism. If we were picking up even an occasional trophy this would never arise.

Unless things were to change as in my Cojones Grandes piece, then this unfortunately will have to do.

First club with a triple-decker stand donÂ’t you know...

Winston Williamson
12 Posted 19/05/2015 at 12:41:33
And floodlights Nick...
Steve Carse
13 Posted 19/05/2015 at 16:25:17
To the RSÂ’s benefit, much of the CityÂ’s merchandise is similar to their own in that it is often dominated by the Bird. Next time youÂ’re at JLA, take a look at the memorabilia shop after youÂ’ve gone through security.
Dave Ganley
15 Posted 19/05/2015 at 21:09:37
Yeah IÂ’m all for a blue liver bird. Aside from the fact it would really piss off the RS, the liver bird is part of Liverpool city heritage not just the RS club so lets reclaim our heritage. By the way, I would love to see the RS try and take us to court in a bid not to use a symbol of Liverpool City
Geoff Evans
16 Posted 19/05/2015 at 21:30:04
The best way to piss off the RS is by beating them home and away on a regular basis.

Dave Ganley
17 Posted 19/05/2015 at 22:11:15
Ha ha yeah that would do it Geoff
Nicholas Ryan
18 Posted 20/05/2015 at 03:18:33
As to LFC having Â’copyrightÂ’ to the liver bird; they donÂ’t. No-one does [and never will]

I am told that, some years ago, it seems they tried to take the first steps towards having an orange liver bird [which they have on their red kits] registered as a trade mark. Apparently, for a trade mark, you have to show Â’firstÂ’ use, and Â’exclusiveÂ’ use.

I am told, they received a very stiff letter from solicitors acting for Liverpool CRICKET Club, [established 1807] who also use the orange liver bird on their red & white kit; pointing out that LCC had been using the orange bird for about 50 years longer than LFC! The same argument would presumably, Â’stumpÂ’ EFC. The cricketers are not interested in seeking a trade mark, themselves; but it seems they would be able to stop anyone else doing so.

There has been a deafening silence from Anfield ever since!

Jim Lloyd
19 Posted 20/05/2015 at 15:36:53
I love the idea. IÂ’ve been round to the City of Liverpool, touristy type shop, to see if they had any silver Liver Bird badges... guess what; No!

I donÂ’t think itÂ’s small minded Nick, I get extremely pissed off where that club has tried (quite successfully) to portray themselves as the "City of Liverpool" Club.

Only one part of this club’s history but an important one. I wish the club would produce this "Bird" – they might at last get a profitable piece of merchandise. Failing that, I hope someone clever, can produce a shirt with "The Bird" on it.

Brilliant idea.

Ray Roche
20 Posted 20/05/2015 at 18:15:47
If you have look on the "Liver Bird" Wiki page it gives a concise history which also states that EFC were the first to use the symbol.
Terry Murphy
21 Posted 20/05/2015 at 22:02:24
Did you write the wiki page, Ray?
Colin Glassar
22 Posted 20/05/2015 at 22:08:42
Even worse was the media saying, for the last couple of months, that every little kid in Liverpool wants to be Steven Gerrard!!! Recover the liver bird and put that horrible thought (about slippy) to bed.
Ray Roche
23 Posted 20/05/2015 at 22:35:08
Terry Murphy (#21):

No Terry, there are kno speling misstakes on the Wiki payg

Paul Smith
24 Posted 20/05/2015 at 22:54:25
Best thing thatÂ’s been suggested on here for yonks! Blue liver birds on the banks of the Royal Blue Mersey.
James Marshall
25 Posted 20/05/2015 at 22:59:16
From what IÂ’ve read, the RS do hold the copyright on the Liver bird.

See this Link

Patrick Murphy
26 Posted 20/05/2015 at 23:15:53
That does look to be the case James and IÂ’ve just read on Seven Streets site that in theory LFC could ask the Echo to remove the bird from their masthead as it breaches the copyright law - perhaps thatÂ’s why they are so enamoured with our neighbours.

I wonder if we could ask Liverpool City Council to create a more Everton friendly emblem which both the city and Everton could use in the future and leave the scavenging bird to where it legally belongs?

Derek Thomas
27 Posted 20/05/2015 at 23:27:53
RS: you always get exactly what it says on the tin.
Chris Regan
28 Posted 21/05/2015 at 09:42:53
Take back the city!
Jim Lloyd
29 Posted 21/05/2015 at 12:03:59
Patrick, there is a Liverpool City Council Crest which looks pretty good. Got Poseidon and a Titan holding up the City Crest on it

I remember now that the gobshites did indeed get copyright on the Liver Bird and one Evertonian lad challenged it but was unsuccessful. I think it was more to do with the emblem being bunged on shirts and being sold that copied the clubÂ’s official partners design.

ItÂ’d be interesting to read the judgement, as that feckin concocted construction of theirs looks nothing like the proper Liver Bird.

IÂ’m still after a silver one anyway and if I can get a blue one... even better. It doesnÂ’t seem to stop the tourist shop bunging the Liver bird on some of their saleable gear

Tony Abrahams
30 Posted 21/05/2015 at 12:39:50
Take down the mural of the holy trinity and put our first league championship medal there in its place.

David 10, it was the fields of Goodson, with Kendall, Harvey and Ball, and Dixie Dean, the greatest of them all!

David S Shaw
31 Posted 21/05/2015 at 15:47:52
Yes, thanks Tony, I only know the odd word from it! So was that part of the verse or chorus? Did it start by mentioning a Bridewell Wall at all, or have the line Remember our fathers brave and bold who fought down County Road in it, or was that a different version?
Derek Turnbull
32 Posted 21/05/2015 at 17:39:01
Tony and Dave, am I right in saying that Alex Young is mentioned in it as well?
Tony Abrahams
33 Posted 21/05/2015 at 20:24:53
Not sure to be honest. I just remember some fella singing it bevied years ago and when I told him to stop singing a dirty redneck song, he flipped.

Told me he had been singing it for years and those horrible red cunts heard him singing it in Ned Kelly and thatÂ’s how it ended up on the kop.

Those phoney bastards have no shame after all. What did the banner say when we last played them at Wembley. LIVERPOOL FC OUTRAGED AT EVERYTHING, BUT ASHAMED OF NOTHING!!

Dave Abrahams
34 Posted 21/05/2015 at 21:07:25
The Fields of Athenry is a great song and, in my opinion, shouldnÂ’t be turned into a football anthem by any team's supporters.
David S Shaw
35 Posted 21/05/2015 at 22:43:00
I've heard the same from a few of my red sources.

I did hear ours personally late 80sish but I didn't learn it, it had two verses, I'm fairly certain it started 'By a lonely Bridewell Wall, I heard a young blue calling, Father they are taking you away.....', I don't know any of the rest of that verse or the second. The chorus is a bit more well known '....Where once we won nine Championships, We played it on the Wing we had the likes of Andy King....', so I'm guessing and hoping that's the version you heard and so your bit fits into one of those verses?

It's worth mentioning that that wasn't the first Everton version of it, there was another one that predates it and is based on the Rangers Athenry, so it crossed my if the bit you knew was from that version instead.

John Codling
36 Posted 11/06/2015 at 08:09:04
I have one tattooed on my arm, and RS fans, especially the Nordic ones, donÂ’t understand why.

Incidentally the RS have just changed their badge What happened to the Shankly gates? These wonderful gates named after a man that was effectively banned from Anfield for the last few years of his life who was to be found at Goodison Park every Matchday.