Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Joey's free!

by   |   27/05/2015  Comments (148)  jump

Anyone else thinking of bringing Joseph Barton back home?

I think he’d be an excellent squad player.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments back

Reader Comments (148)

Patrick Murphy
1 Posted 27/05/2015 at 17:35:11

Colin - Well BartonÂ’s in the right price range and heÂ’s an experienced pro so that would tick a couple of boxes for our manager and owner with the added bonus that BK could sell tickets for the return of the prodigal son at the Empire if he could only find that coat of many colours.

2 Posted 27/05/2015 at 17:38:38
One thing Joey Barton has, apart from being a bloody good footballer, Patrick is his passion. He wouldnÂ’t let some of our prima donnas stroll around the pitch looking uninterested.

I know Joey has been a bit of a nutter in the past but heÂ’s an Evertonian at heart and heÂ’s a reformed character. IÂ’d have him back. He might even tell Roberto to shut his gob now and then.

Brian Harrison
3 Posted 27/05/2015 at 17:50:59
Patrick & Colin

Please tell me this is a wind up, you are not serious about Barton coming to Everton.

4 Posted 27/05/2015 at 18:29:26
Brian, thereÂ’s no chance of Barton playing for us but I would like a scouser in the team with a bit of passion and attitude. Bainsey and Ross are far too nice IMO.
Jim Bennings
5 Posted 27/05/2015 at 20:47:07
Joey Barton is something that should have been done about 6/7 yearÂ’s ago, heÂ’s 32 now and basically just another midfield cruncher like Besic, McCarthy and Barry.

I can see the appeal with him being a free agent but we donÂ’t need him anymore, maybe a Moyes type player from about 2006 or so.

Eugene Ruane
6 Posted 27/05/2015 at 21:36:44
Barton for no fee?

Yes I would (nb: and for years IÂ’d have said Â’no fucking chance!Â’)

Ok heÂ’s a nark, a head-case etc etc etc but imo thatÂ’s part of what Everton have been missing for decades (if Naismith isnÂ’t playing, we could be a team of mutes).

WeÂ’re too quiet and too nice and Barton maybe getting to the stage that sees him able to retain his bite without getting sent off every game.

To be honest, I’m prepared to give anything (radical) a go – I do know if you could elbow the mad part of him, you’d have a very influential midfield player.

Jim Hardin
7 Posted 27/05/2015 at 21:37:03
Joey Barton to Everton? Saw his last several games and he played really well. Minus the idiotic actions I can see the reason people thought highly of him years ago.
Conor McCourt
8 Posted 27/05/2015 at 21:59:05
Colin my friend have you been on the sauce???

Ross will play deeper next season and Besic will give us bite so with Mac,Gibbo and Barry in there as well Joey wont be needed thankfully.

Perhaps should have happened 8 years ago. Ill be delighted if the club deliver on their targets this season- an experienced centre half, a young playmaker and a wide man like Dellboy. If we are looking to the free market I would take a chance on Cleverly and Austin.

If we bring in anymore 30 year olds we may have to arrange bingo for this years xmas party!!

James Stewart
9 Posted 27/05/2015 at 22:10:13
Hell no.
Andy Crooks
10 Posted 27/05/2015 at 22:16:57
I few years ago, I wrote a piece suggesting that people could change and that Barton deserved another chance. There were some responses that persuaded me I was wrong. The thing is I canÂ’t remember them.
Gavin Johnson
11 Posted 27/05/2015 at 22:13:45
Yes, and no. I think he could be pragmatic signing for no fee and has the attribute of passion, which we donÂ’t seem to have a great abundance of in this current Everton side.

That said, he is a little too similar to Barry, Besic and McCarthy. So I think the boat has sailed on this one ever happening - Shame it didnÂ’t happen in 2005 when Moysie had a look at him.

IÂ’d probably go for Cleverley as a free transfer midfielder.

Good topic to discuss though Colin, JB is like Marmite so everyone has an opinion about him.

Ben Dyke
12 Posted 27/05/2015 at 22:30:51
IÂ’d have him in the squad deffo. We need a bit of rage in the team to get them all going. We are bunch of softies like the manager. All pretty passing and no fire in the belly.
Paul Hewitt
14 Posted 28/05/2015 at 00:43:00
Joey Barton at Everton? You canÂ’t be serious... the guyÂ’s an animal.
Bobby Thomas
15 Posted 28/05/2015 at 01:17:30
Our midfield is just begging for another 30 something with no legs or energy.
Darryl Ritchie
16 Posted 28/05/2015 at 04:19:08
No way. HeÂ’d be taking a roster spot and we wonÂ’t have many of those, given our apparent lack of funds. He would arrive on a free, but we would still have to pay him something. Money better spent on a younger player.
Victor Yu
17 Posted 28/05/2015 at 04:35:27
If somehow we can ship Barry out for free (so that we donÂ’t need to pay for his wages anymore) then I would say Yes. Can we loan Barry to say Norwich?
Mike Price
18 Posted 28/05/2015 at 05:24:58
We need some aggression and personality in this team. HeÂ’s a decent player, an Evertonian and he could be a Peter Reid type of signing.

IÂ’ve never seen a quieter team of Â’nice boysÂ’ in all my life, it needs shaking up, but the manager is another soft character and I donÂ’t think he recognizes the need for a bit of nastiness.

John Zapa
19 Posted 28/05/2015 at 06:18:07
Only if we would like to take another step towards relegation!
Rob Murphy
20 Posted 28/05/2015 at 06:35:44
WeÂ’d never sneak into Europe via the ultimate embarrassment (FairPlay / Nice guys award) if Joey was onboard. For that reason alone we should sign him up!
Eugene Ruane
21 Posted 28/05/2015 at 06:41:44
John Zapa - "Only if we would like to take another step towards relegation!"

Yeah, letÂ’s keep things as they are, with our present band of intimidating winners..

1) Softy Walter out of The Beano.
2) Private Godfrey.
3) CorrieÂ’s Roy (of RoyÂ’s Rolls).
4) The Vicar out of DadÂ’s Army.
5) Mr Humphries.
6) Walter out of Nearest & Dearest.
7) Orville
8) A puppy
9) A kitten
10) Bonnie Langford.
11) Mirallas.

John Audsley
22 Posted 28/05/2015 at 09:45:51
We are way too nice.

I would love a horrible bastard in the team and on a free... why not?

But it wonÂ’t happen; more chance of signing Ronnie Corbett as a target man alongside Lukaku.

Mark Pierpoint
23 Posted 28/05/2015 at 10:12:29
This ship sailed a long time ago!

Colin, you mention about him being a squad player. We donÂ’t really need a deeper squad, particularly in central midfield. We are not in Europe so less games also.

Three years ago, pre McCarthy, Barry and Besic, I would have said yes. Bit now... Cleverley is a superior player who should be looked at, if anyone.

Simon Jones
24 Posted 28/05/2015 at 11:05:33
He has had many well-documented problems and would have played longer at a much higher level with a better temperament. I canÂ’t see us going for him, but part of me would love to see him at our club knowing he would sweat blood for us.

The other part of me would be panicking every time there was a 50-50 ball or a bit of aggro on the pitch. I think he will end up at one of the promoted clubs because of his PL experience and heÂ’d be on a "free."

I might write another comment because IÂ’m sure IÂ’ll change my mind about eight times.

Andrew Ellams
25 Posted 28/05/2015 at 11:20:31
His age has to be the biggest problem now. ItÂ’s time to bring down the average age of the whole squad and with the exception of experiene I donÂ’t see much that Barton can add that Besic doesnÂ’t already bring.

Plus Barton and Martinez, a major recipe for disaster.

26 Posted 28/05/2015 at 11:37:01
HeÂ’s only 32, Andrew, and he was the best player in a very poor QPR team and he was the only one who showed a bit of fight and passion.

He also had a very good season with Marseilles but they couldnÂ’t afford his wages. Five years ago I wouldnÂ’t have touched him with a barge-pole but right now I think we could use his fire to get the likes of Barkley and Lukaku to up their game.

Andrew Ellams
27 Posted 28/05/2015 at 11:41:56
I just think we need to utilise this summer to get some new blood in the 25-28 age range, that is where the squad is short right now. We have new blood and old heads, we just need to bind that with some players at the peak of their careers.
Mark Pierpoint
28 Posted 28/05/2015 at 11:43:26
Fight and passion are good qualities, but lets be honest, Joey Barton is not going to get into the first team on his playing ability is he? BarkleyÂ’s future (for me anyway) is going to be in a central position alongside McCarthy. We also have Barry (whilst he has copped a lot of stick, much of it warranted, I do not see Barton still as an upgrade) and Besic who really is that Barton figure you talk of but younger.

I also think that Osman and McCarthy has got the fight and passion. Maybe manifests itself in a slightly different way.

Brian Harrison
29 Posted 28/05/2015 at 11:58:04
I originally thought this was a wind-up but clearly it isnÂ’t and there are fans out there who would welcome Barton back at Goodison.

Somebody in an earlier post mentioned Peter Reid, well I would rather have Peter playing in midfield than Barton. If the aspirations of some to have Barton back then that says everything about how apathetic our fan base has become.

The other lot nearly won the league last year then lost Suarez and had Sturridge injured for most of the season yet still finished 6th and most of their fans want Rodgers sacked. We have gone from 5th to 11th playing the most boring football ever seen at Goodison and our fans are saying give RM 10 games into next season.

And some think Barton would be a good addition to the squad.

Mike Allison
30 Posted 28/05/2015 at 12:39:42
I thought this must be a wind-up at first as well. HeÂ’s not that good, certainly not as good as he thinks he is, and heÂ’s generally a negative influence on any dressing room anywhere he goes.

If the only argument for signing him is that we shouldnÂ’t keep things the way they are, then there is no argument for signing him.

We need higher quality, younger players than Barton. WeÂ’ve got experience covered, and where some people claim heÂ’s got Â’passionÂ’ what I see is a guy who loses control of himself to the detriment of his teammates.

Pick Besic.

Amit Vithlani
31 Posted 28/05/2015 at 12:33:05
Barton is a better player than many think and is the type of hard bugger you would want in your team. I also imagine he will not be afraid to speak his mind with Martinez. Keeping Martinez on his toes would be no bad thing. Give him a 6-month contract with an option to extend, and give him a starting berth.

Took a quick glance at his stats last season and he has a far more all-round game than Barry. More shots and crosses and more blocks than Barry, fewer clearances but not a huge disparity.

Eugene Ruane
32 Posted 28/05/2015 at 12:29:58
Brian Harrison (#29) – "If the aspirations of some to have Barton back then that says everything about how apathetic our fan base has become"

Firstly (despite what Sky say) weÂ’re Everton supporters, not a fucking Â’fan-base.Â’

Secondly, having a different opinion (to you) isnÂ’t apathy, itÂ’s just...having a different opinion.

I say yes to Barton, you say no – no apathy, different views.

In fact if anyone has shown themselves to be apathetic, it’s you – you obviously couldn’t be arsed learning the meaning of apathetic.

Mark Pierpoint
33 Posted 28/05/2015 at 12:44:53
Sorry Amit but your rationale is wrong.

1) Is he the sort of Â’hard buggerÂ’ you would want in your team? Maybe if you are Bournemouth but we need more than that. The days of a hatchet man centre mid in the mould of Vinnie Jones are long gone now. He will just pick up cards left, right and centre

2) Statistics can be used any way you want. You canÂ’t really compare the role he played for QPR and the role Barry is asked to play for Everton.

3) Keep Martinez on his toes- Whatever your views of a manager he is the manager you canÂ’t have players there to Â’keep him on his toesÂ’ It is just not conducive to a successful team, you canÂ’t have a system like this. Disastrous.

We have moved on from Barton now. I am really surprised at the advocacy of him still.

Matt Traynor
34 Posted 28/05/2015 at 12:56:33
Amit #31, IÂ’ll wager heÂ’s probably got a better disciplinary record than Barry for last season - despite being sent off at least once!
Jon Withey
35 Posted 28/05/2015 at 12:57:35
WeÂ’ve definitely missed a bit of character since Cahill went.

I like Barton but when you think of the gamble risk/reward cost/benefit....we donÂ’t stand to benefit 6 league places by having Barton even if it went perfectly.

If it went very wrong and the chemistry didnÂ’t work, it could easily effect form.

We have Besic anyhow.

Sam Hoare
36 Posted 28/05/2015 at 13:12:59
2 things we need (on a long list) are more fight in the team and more creativity from the middle of the park. Barton would offer both these things and for that reason iÂ’d possibly prefer him to Cleverley.

On the other hand our team is old enough and we are well stocked in central midfield. HeÂ’s a pretty similar player to Barry, a little better offensively and worse defensively. At 32 I think probably better to look younger or work on Besic or Barkley alongside McCarthy but I agree that he would have been worth a punt a few years ago.

Eugene Ruane
37 Posted 28/05/2015 at 13:37:41
I love TWs fantasy football (or possibly Island) pickiness at this time of the year.

All notion of how skint we are goes out the window and (ignoring cost/wages) players are dismissed and accepted with Nero-like casualness.

No harm in it of course, but time will pass and eventually weÂ’ll be 10 mins from the transfer window closing.

And I have a feeling if we get to that stage without having purchased anyone with any presence (and have another leaderless season of ineffective, mute, pointing at nothing-in-particular to look forward to) Barton could suddenly look a much a much more attractive proposition.

Dave Abrahams
38 Posted 28/05/2015 at 13:55:11
Sam (36), if Aston Villa donÂ’t sign Cleverly we will.
Mark Pierpoint
40 Posted 28/05/2015 at 13:59:38
Why do you have this assumption that we are Â’skintÂ’ Eugene? Have I missed something? The Echo suggested we would have Â’ampleÂ’ funds. I know that this is open to interpretation but it didnÂ’t say Â’no fundsÂ’. RM suggested that we would not spend 㿈M last week. That doesnÂ’t mean we are skint though does it?

Yes we need to regroup. Yes, we need to be nastier at times; yes, we do need to have stronger leadership. This has to come from within the players we have though, I donÂ’t see the point in having a Barton figure, playing in the most important position on that pitch being there simply for his leadership abilities but weakening the first team in terms of playing ability.

Clive Rogers
41 Posted 28/05/2015 at 14:19:49
Mark #39 & 40,

We are way down near the bottom of the spending league every year. MoyesÂ’s nett spend over 11 years was zero, so purchases were all funded by sales. Chelsea were only paid ٧M down for Lukaku, so the next instalment of his fee will have to be paid. We are still heavily in debt to the banks. Skint.

Darren Hind
42 Posted 28/05/2015 at 14:41:51

There is a very clear difference between being a hard man and being a Gobshite. Sure, we need a more intimidating presence in midfield... but Barton??? Who the fuck would he intimidate? The Lion out of the Wizzard of Oz would stare down this whiney faced little twat.

HeÂ’s simply not good enough, ThatÂ’s why he keeps getting relegated. We need power and athleticism. There are slugs in my garden that cover ground quicker than be does.

Joe Foster
43 Posted 28/05/2015 at 15:09:01
Anyway, the first fall out between Barton and Martinez, we would never see him again. Except if you bumped into him in town shopping with Distin on a Saturday afternoon
Amit Vithlani
44 Posted 28/05/2015 at 15:36:32
Matt #34 agreed. Last season, he had a lower foul count per game than Barry. I donÂ’t buy this notion that Barry is somehow playing a role which means he appears inferior. Barton is in my view more mobile and able to affect play in both boxes.

However, I do agree I would much rather see Mo Besic given a run in the team, and he might surprise people with his creativity and technique. But Barton v Barry? – Barton for me.

Jim Bennings
45 Posted 28/05/2015 at 15:40:27
HeÂ’s not a Martinez type player anyway is he really?

I donÂ’t think the gamble would be with his character (though Martinez doesnÂ’t seem to take well to all these Twitter nuts, digging the dirt up) Barton does seem a lot calmer and mature, if you excuse the odd stupid lapse which Tom HuddlestonÂ’s sack will testify to haha!

Seriously the big gamble is probably his age coupled with the fact itÂ’s creativity we need, Barton is a cruncher and over the yearÂ’s weÂ’ve needed them but just not at present with the midfield overrun with them.

Jim Knightley
48 Posted 28/05/2015 at 16:40:14
Barton? Absurd. He is a Championship player – Besic is a better player and offers similar qualities.

We did not have a shit season because of a lack of bite; we had a shit season because of tactical decisions (primarily). We had a shit season because Martinez played a passing style which did not suit the players at the club – the very same passing style which would not suit Joey Barton.

I find it incredible that someone would even think that Barton would improve us, let it to make those views public. He will play in the Championship where he belongs. He is a toxic influence and a limited footballer.

Brian Harrison
49 Posted 28/05/2015 at 16:36:56
Eugene (#32),

Hey, if Barton is for you, thatÂ’s fine... football is all about opinions; you like Â’gobshitesÂ’, as Darren Hind put it, and I like footballers. So we will have to disagree on that.

As for your comment about not knowing what Â’apatheticÂ’ means, in my dictionary it means Â’not interested or concerned, indifferent or unresponsiveÂ’ which in my opinion, if we signed Barton, would pretty much some up what I would think if we signed him.

For those saying we need an enforcer, that era has long gone, just look at Chelsea with Fabregas and Matic, hardly enforcers; Man City with Silva and Toure; or Arsenal with Cazorla and Ramsey.

Jim Knightley
50 Posted 28/05/2015 at 16:55:01
Brian: Coquelin saved ArsenalÂ’s season because he was the only player in their squad capable of tackling and sitting. Matic does the same for Chelsea, and Man City have failed because they failed to find a good DM to provide cover to the defence.

IÂ’m not for an enforcer per say, but one of our holding mids should consistently sit. Personally I think having both of them withdrawn, like in the previous season, is a sound tactic if it gives license to the full backs and greater freedom to those in front.

Unfortunately for us the attacking midfield have been a mess – that’s where we should be focusing our funds in the summer. We need creativity, and not another defensive midfielder. We have 4 who can sit already.

I do not buy the idea that we are broke because the new television money puts us in a sound position. IÂ’d be disappointed if we did not spend at least 㾻M this summer, and if we did not direct a significant amount of that to the attacking midfield.

IÂ’d like to see some deadwood moved on too, and then an investment in an attacking midfielder, a winger to replace Lennon/Atsu, and a CB to replace Alcaraz/Distin. A striker would help too.

51 Posted 28/05/2015 at 17:01:55
HeÂ’s not an enforcer in the Norman Hunter way, Brian. Barton is a bloody good footballer with a good footballers brain. I bet if he hadnÂ’t been such a nob in his Man City days (and he was a complete pyscho back then), then the vast majority of Everton fans would be quite happy to give him a chance with his boyhood team.

HeÂ’s free, heÂ’d probably accept low wages, heÂ’d give his all for the team so I can only see a win-win situation for us here. If it doesnÂ’t work out, we dump him like we dumped EtoÂ’o.

As for his age, well thatÂ’s a non-starter to begin with as heÂ’s only 32, hardly an OAP, and it was only recently that people were waxing lyrically about how fit 37-year-old Distin still is.

Dick Fearon
52 Posted 28/05/2015 at 17:18:59
If we can only hope to find winners in the bargain basement Joey could only have improved over some of the injury prone dross Martinez has signed.
Jim Jennings
53 Posted 28/05/2015 at 18:17:22
What Darren Hind said.

Never more than an ordinary player and not going to improve at his age. HeÂ’s Scot Gemmill with a "Look at me!!!!" Twitter account and bad disciplinary record.

How some people equate being mouthy to leadership is beyond me.

Eugene Ruane
55 Posted 28/05/2015 at 18:56:29
Tony (54) - "Degsy Hatton is after a comeback so lets go for him also, he’s a true blue and like Barton more suited to the 80’s"

Coincidentally, DegsyÂ’s son seems quite..um..Bartonesque, I saw him kicking off with Sunderland supporters in the upper Bullens a couple of weeks back (specifically, right after we went two down).

Jim Jennings (53) - "How some people equate being mouthy to leadership is beyond me."

And how some people staggeringly simplify the arguments of others, to suit their point of view, is beyond me.

Brian (49) - "Eugene, hey if Barton is for you thats fine football is all about opinions you like gobshites as Darren Hind put it and I like footballers"

Yeah yeah, aesthetically, IÂ’m sure youÂ’re Byron to my McGonagall

Or rather would be, if what we liked had any influence on anything.

But it doesnÂ’t - who/what you like is neither here nor there.

Follow all of the argument - we all like Messi but we can have Barton.

Understand?

By the way, re apathetic, your dictionary definitions are spot on and if you had applied them (rather than given us your Â’in my opinionÂ’ definitions) I wouldnÂ’t have pointed out your misuse of the word.

(and ffs use a comma - impossible to read some of that)

Jay Harris
56 Posted 28/05/2015 at 21:28:18
Barton would make a good squad player.... for Tranmere.

He has long since lost his Premier League playmaking abilities and when a players like Barton loses his pace and stamina only one thing follows, late tackles and red cards.

A definite NO for me. We should be setting our sights on quality additions not just cheaply making the numbers up.

Brian Harrison
57 Posted 28/05/2015 at 21:43:43
Definitely a book that will please any Evertonian. It sounds like that group of players had a great camaraderie and itÂ’s good that they kept in touch so long. I donÂ’t suppose that would happen these days, most Premier League players being foreign millionaires.

My favourite chapter was about Dave Thomas, and the stories about Gordon Lee were also good fun. He gets a bad press on ToffeeWeb but his teams knew how to attack and score goals!

58 Posted 28/05/2015 at 22:01:30
Brian, I always considered Roger McGough to be BritainÂ’s worst ever poet, but thatÂ’s beside the point.
Jay, Joey never really had real pace but he hasnÂ’t lost his stamina or his passing ability.
Andy Crooks
59 Posted 28/05/2015 at 21:48:45
Roger, Chuck spent $29M (yes, twenty nine million dollars) on a FIFA credit card over a five year period. He ate so much he had a fleet of mobility scooters because he kept on breaking them.

The fat bastard has become a grass and is ratting on all his former mates. I canÂ’t wait till the movie comes out. I wonder who will play Chuck Blazer. Any suggestions?

Geoffrey Risebrow
60 Posted 28/05/2015 at 22:03:41
No way do I want a serial thug representing our Great Football Club! Past his best in any case and as already pointed out, we are well stocked in that area. If he is a reformed character then good luck to him. Seem to remember he stubbed out a cigarette in a young Everton supporters eye!
Paul Hewitt
61 Posted 28/05/2015 at 22:17:09
Do people really think Barton would offer anything to this club other then a load of yellow and red cards?
Chris Butler
62 Posted 28/05/2015 at 22:31:54
Of course we should, it wonÂ’t happen though. I think he is a player we need, he has a more passion in his left toe than most of our team put together. He wouldnÂ’t stand up with MartinezÂ’s bullshit and passionless attitude to football. HeÂ’s a true blue and I think with him in the team we might actually beat the RS for the first time in 5 years.

Anyone who wouldnÂ’t take him is a bigot, as many of our current players have been involved in bad behaviour. PienaarÂ’s been arrested as well for things, footballers should be judged by what they do on the pitch not off it. We donÂ’t know what nonsense some of our players have been up to in the past. HeÂ’s a honest guy with a good heart, plus heÂ’s also a passionate Evertonian just like us.

Paul Hewitt
64 Posted 28/05/2015 at 22:45:02
Bigot because I donÂ’t want a shit footballer and thug at my club. Really
65 Posted 28/05/2015 at 22:42:11
Chris, I was halfway writing something very similar to your post. HeÂ’s not everyoneÂ’s cup of tea but by Jove would he shake up things at Finch Farm and GP. HeÂ’d have none of this "Who wants to take the next pen?" bullshit. ThereÂ’d be no smiling and joking with the opposition in the tunnel. Players like Ross who try and hide during some games would get a royal bollicking by Joey lad.

I honestly canÂ’t see the negatives to this. Yes, heÂ’s been a prick in the past but who hasnÂ’t? He who is without sin cast the first stone.... I stole a bike when I was a kid, got into loads of fights, spat on my kid brothers food when he wasnÂ’t looking etc... Should I pay for that for the rest of my life?

Paul Hewitt
66 Posted 28/05/2015 at 22:49:59
Not signing you then, Colin.
Geoffrey Risebrow
67 Posted 28/05/2015 at 22:45:08
Fair point Chris. Has Steven Pienaar been found guilty of anything though? Joey did attack two Man City players on the pitch, not to mention assaulting Ousmane Dabo (his Man City team-mate at the time).

Having said that, everybody deserves a second chance and I have quite enjoyed listening to him on BT Sport and he does seem a genuine guy! If he loves Everton as much as I do, thatÂ’s good enough for me!

Paul Hewitt
68 Posted 28/05/2015 at 22:53:55
Anyone wanting Barton should watch the clip of him battering a 16 year old kid for no reason then say they would sign him.
Geoffrey Risebrow
69 Posted 28/05/2015 at 22:55:13
Very good post in all fairness, Colin. I actually think I am starting to come round to the idea. He would definitely have grabbed the ball off Super Kev and told him in no uncertain terms "Leighton takes the penalties!"

I have always rated him as a footballer. A two-year contract on a free transfer might be worth a gamble? It would be a better gamble than Alcaraz!

70 Posted 28/05/2015 at 23:09:05
I just thought IÂ’d put the idea out there Geoffrey for a bit of discussion. It wonÂ’t happen of course. I somehow donÂ’t think he would fit into BKÂ’s and RobertoÂ’s ideal happy family utopia.
Eugene Ruane
71 Posted 28/05/2015 at 23:21:24
Paul Hewit - "Anyone wanting Barton should watch the clip of him battering a 16 year old kid for no reason then say they would sign him"

Have seen it, would sign him (on a free).

Because IÂ’m an uncaring twat?

No, because I believe people can change.

Duncan Ferguson has FOUR convictions for assault (including punching and kicking a supporter on crutches) but I believe heÂ’s a different person now (obviously not completely different but different..enough).

And any Â’yeah but thatÂ’s differentÂ’ argument is bollocks.

David Cromwell
72 Posted 28/05/2015 at 23:29:11
No, absolutely not. IÂ’ve never forgotten his last day red mist moment against Man City. When he loses it, he loses it and is an absolute liability.

I suspect people are mistaking Joey’s anger problem for passion. I don’t believe he’s any more passionate than the next footballer – but he certainly is a lot angrier.

Paul Hewitt
73 Posted 28/05/2015 at 23:47:41
Eugene you think heÂ’s changed he assaulted a Man City player a few seasons ago if my mind is right. The guy is a thug.
Gavin Johnson
74 Posted 28/05/2015 at 23:43:23
Because heÂ’s very similar to most of our midfielderÂ’s IÂ’d only take him if we offloaded someone. IÂ’d totally forgotten about Darron Gibson being on our books in my earlier post.

So seeing as this thread about Barton is only conjecture and will never happen anyway, I’ll go all football manager replace Gibson with Barton. Like Gibson, Barton has a good range of passing and he has one thing Gibson hasn’t got – the ability to stay fit!

75 Posted 28/05/2015 at 23:46:48
Sorry to keep harping on about this but David didnÂ’t we see Big Dunc punching and throttling players on the pitch? DidnÂ’t Fellaini go in with his elbow, or raised foot, with criminal intent on more than one occasion?

I think if he was from London or Sheffield we wouldnÂ’t be talking about his past but as heÂ’s a local lad from a very dysfunctional family we tend to judge him more harshly then others.

Gavin Johnson
76 Posted 28/05/2015 at 23:58:09
I still have a T-shirt with Big Dunc throttling Stefan Freund. Still gets worn at the gym sometimes.

Paul Hewitt
77 Posted 29/05/2015 at 00:03:42
LetÂ’s not confuse a spat on a football pitch with an assault on a 16-YEAR-OLD LAD. There is a difference.
Eugene Ruane
78 Posted 28/05/2015 at 23:52:46
Paul - "Eugene you think heÂ’s changed? He assaulted a Man City player a few seasons ago if my mind is right. The guy is a thug."

That doesnÂ’t really make sense, heÂ’s a thug now because of something he did a few seasons ago?

As I said, people do change (though obviously not in Paul Hewitt world)

(Plus I notice you conveniently skipped my point about our own cripple-assaulting hero.)

79 Posted 29/05/2015 at 00:04:43
Everyone wanted to throttle Stefan Freund, Gavin. Big Dunc was just living the dream.

DidnÂ’t Joey say he kicked/punched Nasri and Aguero to stop another team mate getting sent off? Well, if you want a case of pure altruism and sense of sacrifice there you have it.

And on a final note. Anyone who can speak Â’fluentÂ’ French with a scouse accent deserves a second chance in my book.

Paul Hewitt
80 Posted 29/05/2015 at 00:12:35
Eugene, IÂ’ve played RL so I know about assaults on a pitch. WeÂ’re talking about real life assaulting a kid for no reason; that is unforgivable.

Eugene Ruane
81 Posted 29/05/2015 at 00:21:16
Paul – "We’re talking about real life assaulting a kid for no reason is unforgivable."

And I am talking about an Everton hero Â’real life assaultingÂ’ a man on crutches in a taxi queue.

Why are you so incensed by one and not the other?

Paul Hewitt
82 Posted 29/05/2015 at 00:25:16
They are both wrong but you would sign Barton knowing this... WHY?
Eugene Ruane
83 Posted 29/05/2015 at 00:33:56
Paul – for the same reason I’m not (and you’re not) screaming for us to get rid of our coach Duncan.

Because (as IÂ’ve explained) people change.

Not a hard concept to grasp if your mind isnÂ’t closed.

For free, IÂ’d take the chance and as Colin says, if it doesnÂ’t work out, fuck him off.

Andy Crooks
84 Posted 29/05/2015 at 00:32:12
Paul, I do see what you mean, but surely there is room for someone redeeming themselves? If not then then itÂ’s a fucking harsher world than I thought.

Joey Barton might have been the biggest twat in the world, maybe heÂ’s not anymore. I might sound like a sanctimonious bleeding heart, but hereÂ’s a chance for someone to do something in their career and a chance for our club to gain from it.

It will never happen in a million years but I havenÂ’t seen a compelling argument why it shouldnÂ’t.

Paul Hewitt
85 Posted 29/05/2015 at 00:43:20
Barton ainÂ’t changed, for godÂ’s sake. Did you watch the Man City match when he punched an opponent? That was only a few years ago.
Eric Myles
86 Posted 29/05/2015 at 00:44:41
"We should be setting our sights on quality additions not just cheaply making the numbers up."

Unfortunately Jay #56, with our board, limited squad size and need to replace ageing players, make do and mend is all weÂ’ll ever get.

Andy Crooks
87 Posted 29/05/2015 at 00:50:13
Paul, "only a few years ago", so only a few years ago he was a twat. Now, IÂ’m not a religious bloke but picture Paul, after the Damascus road shit, preaching away and someone says, "Hey, only a few years ago..."

Put plainly, I think Barton did well at QPR; I think he showed a good attitude and I think that judging him on last season, without the baggage, we should get him.

Eric Myles
88 Posted 29/05/2015 at 01:03:29
IF we sign Joey, Martinez should offer him and Barry a good bonus for whoever gets the least cards in the season. It might just sort them both out.
Jim Knightley
89 Posted 29/05/2015 at 00:03:31
Colin, the negatives are clear: he is a bad egg and simply isnÂ’t good enough. I honestly think that some people on here are simply equating a perceived lack of bite in the squad with some romanticised rendition of a passionate Barton driving this team to success.

Seriously, have you seen Barton play recently? He has been piss-poor, and he has not pushed his team forward. He has been overlooked for other Championship quality players during the season.

Why on earth are we having this discussion? I canÂ’t think of any other reason than that he is an Everton fan, because his football is nowhere near the standard it was six or seven years ago. Anyone who says otherwise has not watched him play recently.

He is also 32! Why, when we should be looking to bring in young players, are we discussing a footballing dinosaur who has just been released by the Premier LeagueÂ’s worse side?!

If we want to look at relegated players from QPR, we should be looking at Phillips, Austin and Fer. Fer has driven his team forward far more than Barton, Austin is a superb striker (and a possible replacement for Lukaku if he was to leave), and Phillips was brilliant in the last 3 months of the season.

Dick Fearon
90 Posted 29/05/2015 at 04:27:39
This judgement of Barton by some makes me want to puke. Where did all this holier than thou come from? It certainly wasnÂ’t around in 1964 when the Everton captain was hauled before the courts for that most disgusting of crimes, deliberately throwing games to make money on fixed odds.

That same character also was EnglandÂ’s captain and not short of a few bob making this fall from grace even more heinous. He was Tony Kay and many old timers still fondly remember him. He was known as the quiet assassin and that was a good description of his style.

BartonÂ’s on field transgressions generally occur in the heat of battle and not in the cold calculating manner of Kay.

I hold no preference for either but please spare me your holier than thou breast beating.

Darren Hind
91 Posted 29/05/2015 at 07:06:19
I agree with Eugene, people can and must be given the chance to change. My view is purely down to footballing matters.

But if Barton is to be seriously considered, he needs to change – into a better player.

Mark Pierpoint
92 Posted 29/05/2015 at 07:11:06
Jim #89 has summed it up far better than I can. I am not going to get holier than thou. Particularly on the morality of any footballer. What I am going to say though is that I am really taken aback at how several senior and intelligent posters seem to back this mental idea.

I couldnÂ’t care less about BartonÂ’s past. I do think he has changed somewhat (smacking Huddlestone in the balls does go against this though admittedly). Fact is, I will repeat, as a player he gets nowhere near our first team.

I say that even with the problems we have. Barry is better in that position than Barton. Gibson, when fit admittedly, is a far better passer than Barton. All this rubbish about bite and telling someone who takes a penalty is secondary. He wasnÂ’t good or convincing enough to get half of the QPR team to bother after all...

Mike Allison
93 Posted 29/05/2015 at 08:20:08
Why would we want another has-been on a free? We need high quality young players. Signing Barton would hold back players like Besic. There would be no positive to this move at all.

The case in favour seems to be two-fold:

(1) HeÂ’d cause trouble around the place, and we donÂ’t like Martinez, so we want trouble.

(2) A wider philosophical point that people can change and should be given a second chance.

I canÂ’t even argue against (1), itÂ’s just so ridiculous. And while (2) on a wider philosophical level is certainly true, and in many circumstances IÂ’d argue for it, weÂ’re talking about an ageing footballer with clear anger issues who has had very little success at any of the teams heÂ’s been at and has a track record of costing his team and bringing his clubs into disrepute.

WeÂ’re not a charity whose job is to help people whoÂ’ve fallen by the wayside. The question is Â’would he add to our teamÂ’ and my answer is definitely not. HeÂ’s comfortably below our level, his Â’leadershipÂ’ skills didnÂ’t do much for an expensively assembled and highly paid QPR side and he seems to have a much higher opinion of himself than his achievements merit.

BartonÂ’s issues are not that he is flailing round like a mad-man all the time, itÂ’s that he loses it, and weÂ’ll never know when heÂ’d go off. I donÂ’t want him anywhere near John Stones, Ryan Ledson, Jonjoe Kenny and the rest of them.

If Martinez brought in any other 32-year-old on a free transfer IÂ’ll bet the same people advocating for Barton on here would hit the roof. So why is it different for an ego-maniac with anger management issues who has just been relegated?

Amit Vithlani
95 Posted 29/05/2015 at 10:33:05
Just been going through BartonÂ’s tweets and what comes across is a bloke who speaks his mind in a clear and straight forward way. Since the nature of our managerÂ’s after match comments are at a minimum baffling, I welcome strong personalities into the squad who (a) can do better than certain players in our squad (i.e. Barry)
(b) stay fitter than others (i.e. Gibson)
(c) might be inclined to call a spade a spade which might temper the bullshit PR our manager tends to espouse.

Also agree with Dick Fearon - Barton is in very good company as far as footballer misdemenours are concerned. The debate must surely focus on whether he will add strength to the squad. If he can, then as a freebie on a short term deal I think he is worth the punt, perhaps with Barry farmed out on loan or sold on a free.

Anthony Lamb
99 Posted 29/05/2015 at 13:00:58
Spot on Mike Allison. Perhaps this discussion highlights how far this club has fallen, and in the light of those giving serious consideration to the possibility of Barton joining the club, how far we actually continue to fall! The ludicrous testosterone criteria of the "tough guy" needed in the team is beyond belief in this day and age.

Have standards actually been totally dispensed with? I wonder if anybody supporting the notion of offering employment to Barton could actually advocate taking their son, daughter, or grandchildren to support Everton and seriously encourage them to admire his approach to the game; to read and perhaps be inspired by his wonderfully inspiring exploits or achievements or observe a footballer of average technical ability at the very end of his days and say with confidence "now there is footballer my son, look closely, learn, be proud of the fact that he plays for our club, and try and do likewise!"?

We should seriously be trying to arrest this decline of Everton Football Club on so many fronts not hastening it by having such minimal standards especially in the expectations of the players we would willingly pay good money to watch.

Mike Allison
100 Posted 29/05/2015 at 14:16:51
Actually in light of AmitÂ’s post IÂ’ve changed my mind. Here is a list of the reasons why:

1. HeÂ’s better going forward than Barry.
2. HeÂ’s less injury prone than Gibson.
3. HeÂ’s spent less time in prison that Duncan Ferguson.
4. He talks more straightforwardly than Martinez.
5. HeÂ’s got more experience than Barkley.
6. HeÂ’s younger than Distin.
7. HeÂ’s better defensively than Lukaku.
8. HeÂ’s bigger than Osman.
9. HeÂ’s more local than Pienaar.
10. HeÂ’s got a better right foot than Leighton Baines.
11. HeÂ’s more of a team player than Kevin Mirallas.
12. He argues with people more than Phil Jagielka.
13. HeÂ’s more clean-shaven than Tim Howard.
14. HeÂ’s cheaper than James McCarthy.

With 14 clear and strong arguments in favour, I canÂ’t see how anyone could possibly disagree with me.

102 Posted 29/05/2015 at 18:47:39
Great post Mike. He ticks all the boxes for a freebie.
Andrew Clare
103 Posted 29/05/2015 at 19:03:54
Seasoned pros are not the answer; we need players who follow the managers instructions to the letter. Barton will Â’Rock the boatÂ’. No thank you.
Lyndon Lloyd
104 Posted 29/05/2015 at 18:57:12
Someone tweeted yesterday asking Barton to categorically state he wasnÂ’t joining us this summer so we wouldnÂ’t have to go over this ground again.

That this thread has over 100 responses and there are people who would actually advocate the acquisition of a 32-year-old narcissistic thug just baffles me.

As un-Everton a player as there is in the game in terms of character... just say no.

105 Posted 29/05/2015 at 19:20:57
Character, Lyndon? What exactly do you mean by that? Another kowtowing Yesman like Pip Neville?

As Andrew states, are we that worried that he might "rock the boat"? Well after watching some of the piss-poor, lethargic, listless, spineless and uninspiring "performances" this season, I think we not only need someone to "rock the boat" but to give a good kick up the arse to our underperforming stars!

It wonÂ’t be Barton. But we need a player who combines skill with passion. Our lot are far too nicey nicey. We need a miserable, tough old bugger to shake them up a bit.

John Keating
106 Posted 29/05/2015 at 19:28:07
So, Lyndon – a "narcissistic thug" ... "un-Everton a player as there is"

CanÂ’t seem to remember comments such as this during Big DuncÂ’s tenure or when he returned to coach the youngsters and give them the value of his expertise.

Lyndon Lloyd
107 Posted 29/05/2015 at 19:34:37
Colin, I agree that we need more spine but it doesnÂ’t have to be someone like Barton. There are alternatives.

John, I recall making frequent references to my dismay at FergusonÂ’s on-field transgressions during his time as a player but I donÂ’t ever recall Dunc stubbing a cigarette out in the eye of a youth player (not his only assault on a teammate), courting attention with outspoken views on Twitter or ending up on Question Time.

Dunc has clearly changed and come to terms with his past. Barton hasnÂ’t got there yet so if youÂ’re looking for squad harmony, he is not the kind of character you want, in my opinion.

108 Posted 29/05/2015 at 20:13:56
Lyndon, thatÂ’s why I said it wonÂ’t be Barton. HeÂ’s far too controversial for a nice club like Everton. But like you said, we need a player with a bit of steel, a player who wonÂ’t accept lack of effort from his team mates. What we need is a Roy Keane type player. Someone who is not afraid to give a team mate a bollicking when heÂ’s not even trying.

Ross is just one of our players who needs someone to tell him to get his head out of his arse. Jags wonÂ’t do it, Bainsey canÂ’t and Barry canÂ’t even keep up with him.

Amit Vithlani
109 Posted 29/05/2015 at 21:24:03
Great list Mike @100, made me laugh. Bigger than Osman, what a hoot! More local than Pienaar, guffaw! Oh me sides, me aching sides.

(Stick to the day job Mike, unless ofcourse its stand up comedy...)

Keith Harrison
110 Posted 29/05/2015 at 21:41:19
I think Joseph is simply misunderstood.
Robin Cannon
111 Posted 29/05/2015 at 22:10:38
Colin (108) - "What we need is a Roy Keane type player."

ThatÂ’d be great. But just being a hard tackler with a bit of passion does not make Joey Barton a Roy Keane type player.

112 Posted 30/05/2015 at 07:44:57
Maybe Joey is just too clever for his own good. He does read Kant, Hegel and Chomsky after all. Most footballers donÂ’t get past the Daily Star or, if they are feeling adventurous, a Manga comic.
Barry Pearce
113 Posted 30/05/2015 at 12:29:42
Eugene (21) love your analogy of the softies.
Loved it.
Andrew Presly
114 Posted 30/05/2015 at 13:38:50
Mike Childs
115 Posted 30/05/2015 at 13:23:41
I would think a better solution would be to make Jimmy McCarthy wear the armband. After all, Jags is the leading handshaker, laugher in the tunnel.

If weÂ’re looking at QPR exiles, weÂ’d be better served going after Fer again.

Nicholas Ryan
116 Posted 30/05/2015 at 15:27:43
Not as mad as it seems at first sight!
Pete Edwards
117 Posted 30/05/2015 at 15:41:41
Not too sure what I think on this one, good signing or not a good signing?!?!? Maybe would have been an option when he came back from his loan spell in France as it looked like it had done him good and played well from what I read so maybe its a couple of years too late.

It would make for some more interesting times if it happened!

Kieran Fitzgerald
118 Posted 30/05/2015 at 16:32:54
Would it be any worse a signing than some of the loans and expensive flops weÂ’ve had in recent years? We donÂ’t have to tie him down to an expensive three year contract. Offer him an eighteen month contract or a one year deal.

Considering how flat we have been this season, I honestly think he would have a great impact next season. We have been a disaster this season in terms of getting at the opposition and having some drive and motivation about us. How many games have we passed ourselves to death in the middle of the park? How many times have we lacked any guile or forward momentum and have been unable to break the opposition down? Barton would bring a lot of what we were missing.

If Lennon being more direct made a huge difference to us, why couldnÂ’t Barton?

Bill Gall
119 Posted 30/05/2015 at 19:31:17
Sorry but, to me, it is a sad day for Everton's future ambitions when we are talking about signing the likes of Barton, Cleverley and Evans. One player relegated, another been moved around various clubs and just avoided relegation, and the third unable to hold down a place in a poor Man Utd team.

If these are the type of players who supporters think we should be looking at and with a manager that is struggling, I do not think we would finish any higher than this season in the league.

Do not see any youthful quality midfielder in these players and that is a position we are desperately short of.

Andy Crooks
120 Posted 30/05/2015 at 19:54:21
Bill, unless the club have more money to spend than we think, then this indeed is where we are. Now, I donÂ’t think for a second we will sign Barton but Cleverly and Evans might be it. As a starting point we must get the absolute maximum from our players, last season we missed that basic requirement by some way.
Julian Wait
121 Posted 30/05/2015 at 20:41:21
HeÂ’s a good footballer but I say no for a few reasons:

1. DonÂ’t we have some young players coming through
2. HeÂ’s 32
3. He looked slow when I have seen him play
4. HeÂ’s got a pretty awful history in the broadest sense
5. HeÂ’s a liability on the field
6. HeÂ’s a high risk proposition and potential embarassment
7. ItÂ’s a backwards step

We need to find the next Joey Barton (skill wise), not the last one.

122 Posted 30/05/2015 at 20:41:49
IÂ’m glad, and heartened, to see so many pro Joey comments on here. Even though Chairman Bill wouldnÂ’t dream of having a loose cannon like Barton at the club, at least some of us fans have forgiven him for his past misdemeanours.
Ben Jones
123 Posted 30/05/2015 at 20:53:12
I think there's no space for him, we already have four players playing the same position.

His passion and personality yes, but his quality not so much.

Jim Bennings
124 Posted 30/05/2015 at 21:29:45
Anyone who saw Cleverley's performance in the Cup Final tonight against a team that is everything IÂ’d love to see from Everton (Arsenal) passing movement, pace and hunger.

Cleverley looks like heÂ’d add no different dimensions whatsoever to our playing style. He would be a signing quite simply because heÂ’s free; nothing else.

Ant Dwyer
125 Posted 30/05/2015 at 23:25:19
The Joey Barton train has long gone for me, maybe a couple of years ago he might have been a good buy, but not now. His off-the-field antics are as dodgy as his on-the-ball antics too, imagine him in training... and even worse, imagine him in town bevying!

Definitely not for us.

Jay Wood
126 Posted 31/05/2015 at 11:47:33
Whilst his well documented past legitimately needs to be taken into consideration as to his potential impact on the club, there are two more obvious reasons why he shouldnÂ’t be considered: his age and waning ability. Too old and not good enough.
Paul Tran
127 Posted 31/05/2015 at 13:13:20
The only 32-year-old IÂ’ll countenance is a proven playmaker.

Another over-30 midfield water-carrier who is footballÂ’s Russell Brand? No thank you.

Dave Abrahams
128 Posted 31/05/2015 at 20:19:28
Jim (124), if you saw any of the greatest players who have played and assessed them on one poor game you wouldnÂ’t sign any of them.

IÂ’m not saying Cleverly is a great player, but he is better than he showed yesterday and I think there is a better than even chance that we will get him.

Tamhas Woods
129 Posted 31/05/2015 at 21:58:28
Joey Barton?

No, no, no, no, no!!!!!

Dick Fearon
131 Posted 01/06/2015 at 00:43:41
Dave A, 128, Barton or Cleverly, One of them would not have allowed the Gunners walk all over him without putting up some kind of fight.
Steve Carse
132 Posted 01/06/2015 at 01:00:53
Is this the same Barton who was playing in QPR sides that were being walked all over virtually every weekend?
Jack Cross
133 Posted 01/06/2015 at 01:31:08
Barton, bloody hell, that would be going backwards. An old controversial lout. And thatÂ’s being nice to him.
135 Posted 01/06/2015 at 07:42:56
Joey, Austin and Fer were the only bright lights in a very poor QPR side Steve.
Dave Abrahams
136 Posted 01/06/2015 at 10:30:50
Dick thatÂ’s true, but on the day Arsenal were just too strong and too good for Villa, I donÂ’t think Joey would have made a lot of difference. I thought Barton would have been a good signing two or three years ago but not now, even as a free signing.
Harold Matthews
137 Posted 01/06/2015 at 14:41:49
Terrific clean striker of a football and I loved the way he whacked that cheating Blackburn Scandi in the belly, but I donÂ’t think weÂ’d be doing him any favours by bringing him back to Merseyside. Too many dodgy hangers-on.
Jim Knightley
138 Posted 01/06/2015 at 15:26:18
If we are looking at players released from the Prem League clubs, IÂ’d look at the following: Vlaar, Richards, Milner and Ings. Personally, I think Milner, if he does not want the world in wages, would be the best bet. He has a goal threat, especially when played in more advanced areas, and is a better version of Cleverly. Ings is a good striker, and we need a backup to Lukaku. Vlaar is a good CB, although he is 30, and not necessarily what we need and I donÂ’t expect he would fancy playing back up to Jags and Stones. IÂ’d consider Richards as a CB, although partly on the basis that I still hope he could fulfill his enormous potential.

Only Milner would improve our first 11 though in my opinion, and I expect that Liverpool or Spurs, who can offer more money and a more realistic chance of silverware, are more likely destinations. Unless he does what so few English players do and moves abroad.

Dave Brierley
139 Posted 01/06/2015 at 15:43:40
Loved EugeneÂ’s team at #21.

IÂ’d have them all except possibly No7 who may have lost a little pace recently.

Patrick Murphy
140 Posted 01/06/2015 at 16:24:33
LFC offer more chance of silverware Why? They have won one League Cup in the last nine seasons. Tottenham have won exactly the same during the same period. The media make these two clubs seem like serial winners but in truth they arenÂ’t that much more successful than Everton considering the amount of money both clubs have spent in the last half-a-decade or more.

Dave Abrahams
141 Posted 01/06/2015 at 16:30:16
Dave (139) heÂ’s lost his voice as well!!!!
Jim Knightley
142 Posted 01/06/2015 at 17:40:52
To an extent you have a point Patrick, but LiverpoolÂ’s UCL win is not too far in the distant past (9 years is a peculiar figure to use for your trophy stats), and both have qualified for the Champions League since we last managed top European football. IÂ’d like to say that we can compete with Spurs and Liverpool, and I think the ability in both squads is quite similar, but we do not have their spending power.
143 Posted 01/06/2015 at 18:09:36
Talking about our neighbours Jim, is it just me but did they (and their mates in the media) totally ignore the 30th anniversary of the Heysel tragedy?

I read one piece in The Independent, I think, which absolutely hammered them for their indifference but I think everyone else ignored it. Unbelievable.

Joe Foster
144 Posted 01/06/2015 at 18:17:10
Yep Colin..itÂ’s all gone quiet over there
145 Posted 01/06/2015 at 18:46:25
Selective memory I think they call it, Joe. I call it hypocrisy. Juventus seem to have ignored it as well. Not a peep from Platini either.
Ray Said
146 Posted 01/06/2015 at 19:05:44
Colin (145)
Juventus didnt ignore the tragedy but I don't think it got a lot of media coverage in UK. The Mail did cover it well -see the link below.

Patrick Murphy
147 Posted 01/06/2015 at 19:07:34
Jim (142) Of course nine seasons is a peculiar period but I wanted to make a point. Eleven seasons ago for the CL, Ten seasons ago for the FA Cup, Twenty-five seasons ago for the top English prize....etc etc.If we canÂ’t compete with them financially why does everybody and his dog keep using them as a comparison?

Colin (145) The Echo did do a piece about it on Friday, but I also saw an article headline where one of their fans said he didnÂ’t feel it was any fault of their fans. I never read either article in full, so canÂ’t comment on what sort of pieces they were.

148 Posted 01/06/2015 at 19:16:41
Ray, thanks for that. IÂ’ve often heard that Juventus are a bit embarrassed about the way they celebrated after the game, especially Platini going mental.

I also heard that Ian Rush was going to lay a wreath on behalf of both teams. Even the old Heysel stadium just has a small, obscure plaque to remember the killings. Ibrox, Bradford and Hillsborough get far more attention than this.

I agree Patrick, theyÂ’ve never admitted their guilt.