From Unsworth to the Unworthy

by   |   03/02/2018  14 Comments  [Jump to last]

David Unsworth is a Blue. Not 'was a Blue'... 'is a Blue. He was a caretaker manager of our great club and will always remain a supporter till the day he dies. Candidly, he did not pass his audition to become our permanent manager.

So to his replacement, ex-England manager Sam Allardyce. He is not a Blue. He was given the job as our manager. Has he passed his audition?

Most fans' Talking Points articulate a position on a subject. I didn't really want to. I wanted to simply ask: Is Allardyce worthy?

However, since I started to pen my thoughts, today happened. I was not unduly disappointed with his appointment; I am now though.

He points the finger everywhere other than at himself. We are not stupid. Team selection and tactics are not the players' fault, they are the manager's.

I understand anyone who says that he was let down by their mistakes, I really do. But, I feel let down by the way that my team is lead. He is not worthy of managing our club. There you go, I've said it. From Unsworth to the Unworthy.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (14)

Dennis Stevens
1 Posted 04/02/2018 at 09:45:04
The much maligned Unsworth averaged 1.75 points per League match, Allardyce less than 1.2. At that rate we would expect to claw our way to 42 points &, hopefully, safety. However, rather worryingly, the rate of return is on a declining trend & so even scraping 40 points is looking like an ever more difficult challenge.

Looking back, & as I felt at the time, once it was clear to the Board that they couldn't bring in the man they really wanted they should have confirmed Unsworth in post a week or two before turning in panic-stricken desperation to Allardyce. I'm sure Unsworth would have made a better job of securing our survival in the top flight than Allardyce is doing.

Having not done so, we seem to be stuck with Allardyce for now, but the Board should be lining their man up to succeed him at the earliest opportunity – especially should that man be available before the summer, as by then Allardyce may have taken us down a division. The sooner we can send Allardyce on his way with his ill-gotten gains, the better... and Walsh can go too, if for no other reason than for championing Allardyce as the right man for the job!

Geoff Williams
2 Posted 04/02/2018 at 13:32:04
Silva shouldn't be the next manager.
Matt Williams
3 Posted 04/02/2018 at 13:49:11
Does anybody still think that Unsworth would be doing a worse job than Alladyce had he been given the job?

A ridiculous decision by the board.

Trevor Peers
4 Posted 04/02/2018 at 14:15:48
Matt, neither Unsworth nor Allardyce are good enough to be manager.

At least appointing Allardyce did produce a few precious victories, in his honeymoon period, that may well be enough to guarantee our Premier League survival.

For that reason alone, he was worth appointing.

Danny O'Neill
5 Posted 04/02/2018 at 15:32:26
Unsworth is sadly just not ready to make the step up from U23s. Maybe going to manage competitive league football will help him progress his managerial career. I think the Everton gig has made him realise that.

Allardyce is just not worthy. Is he still here? Wake me up when he's gone.

Jim Bennings
6 Posted 04/02/2018 at 16:46:09
I just want dark ages football out of the club to be honest.

We all knew when Allardyce got the job, the football was never going to be attractive but he was brought in to supposedly “sort out the defensive frailties “ in Sam's own words before taking the job.

The reality is he hasn't even sorted the defence. The honeymoon period where we rode our luck in December are gone and the defence is a complete shambles once more.

I don't think Unsworth was the answer either, I think he needs experience of managing a first team somewhere. But Allardyce can't be here next season otherwise Everton will be existing just to scrap to 40 points once more.

Over to you Moshiri!! It's about time big decisions were made and not just brush the mess the club is in under the carpet.

Andrew James
7 Posted 04/02/2018 at 22:33:15
Unsworth played the younger lads and was building some momentum during all kinds of injuries but then Fat Sam comes in, gets a point at Anfield, survives Chelsea and looks good. Then we played the lesser sides and his real face was revealed. Cowardly and confusing line-ups at West Brom and Bournemouth.

Moyes used to get condemned on these pages for being a quarter as defensive and unambitious as Fat Sam. If we don't do Palace at home, I say fire him. Scrape through to the summer and then consider Gary Rowett.

Dick Fearon
8 Posted 05/02/2018 at 07:53:23
Same as with Walter Smith, Moyes, Martinez, Unsworth, Koeman and now Allardyce we should not allow ourselves to get all misty eyed. Except for Moyes glaring eyes each of them would spend entire games sitting or standing immobile on the sidelines seemingly unaware of or unconcerned with what was happening on the pitch.

When matters had long reached desperation point they might decide to try a substitution. Problem was that their idea of being proactive was to introduce even more negativity.

Lifesize cardboard cut outs would provide more inspiration to our belaboured players.

Is it blasphemous to wish for someone like a Leaping screaming player cuddling totally involved Jurgen Klopp.

Martin Clark
9 Posted 05/02/2018 at 20:44:54
I believe Unsworth would have achieved as many if not more points than SA. I’d much prefer the big hearted blue over SA even if he also made some odd selection decision.

The fixtures list has been tough this season with top six teams one after another and don’t understand why we have such an issue against the top six. We tend to set out negative and hope for a positive outcome. We’ve had a few decent wins such as Man City last year with a settled team that was a very happy day, just can’t see it happening again though until we start playing more positively.

I don’t think SA is the man to take us forward and think we should make the change as soon as possible. If we can’t get a world class manager I’d want us to target an up and coming manager with a more attacking philosophy such as Eddie Howe who is performing very well and has the bonus I believe of being a blue.

At least I might get excited about the prospects of watching Everton rather than just crossing my fingers!

Jim Wilson
10 Posted 05/02/2018 at 22:15:31
His management horrifies me.
Actually, you can't call it management.
Robin Cannon
11 Posted 05/02/2018 at 00:03:34
I'd have taken Unsworth to the end of the season over Allardyce any day.

Does anyone see any world where an Allardyce team would have the heart to come from 2-0 down to win?

Unsworth inherited a mess, was a long way from the fix, but we tried to attack, we played with heart, the team seemed like they cared.

Allardyce is much the same. Except for the attacking, playing with heart, or caring bits.

Roman Sidey
12 Posted 05/02/2018 at 00:09:50
Yet another instance that makes some people think you have to be one side or the other. Just because Allardyce isn't good enough to manage Everton - and he definitely isn't - doesn't mean Unsworth was by virtue of not being Allardyce. Neither should have been given more than a courtesy interview, but for very different reasons: Allardyce is a terrible manager and Unsworth hasn't had a proper job yet and the Premier League isn't a place for freshman, in my opinion.

Unsworth's league results were two wins, one draw and two losses against Leicester, Watford, Palace, Southampton and West Ham. I know managers should be given time to show their mark, but seven points from those fixtures doesn't make me feel wonderful. To balance things out, I think Allardyce's two points from two West Bromwich matches is utterly unacceptable.

Points won aside, it was the Joe Royle incident that really convinced me that Unsworth hadn't won the club over and that they had no intention of giving him the job full time.

Charlie Lloyd
13 Posted 06/02/2018 at 12:06:54
Phil good article and I agree with your standpoint.

I was really concerned that the wheels had fallen off this team and something really drastic was needed to avoid the dreaded. We needed somebody who was no nonsense and apply to bludgeon us to the required points total in order to regroup.

It started well. The first 5 games have a good return since then though. Awful. We are not even organised, with a defensive plan or showing much fight.

I still believe the players aren’t exonerated from blame but this manager shows no idea of dragging performances out of these players.

The line up at Arsenal said it all. At 19 mins 3 down do something. No! Even Koeman, who lost the plot too, made first half changes when he got it wrong.

I really wanted it to work for Unsworth but it was a tough job and I believe a big character was needed to kick the shit into order. However this big character just makes mistakes, won’t change them and blames others.

Wake me up when the club sorts itself out. Though I won’t hold my breath.

Michael Lynch
14 Posted 06/02/2018 at 12:23:18
It's all guesswork - even the facts can be manipulated. For example, you could say that Allardyce's initial run of games probably saved us from relegation. Or you could say that Unsworth would probably have achieved the same if he'd been allowed to carry on. You could even say that Koeman might have achieved more than either of them given enough time, we'll never know.

Very few managers keep their fans happy for more than a year or two. Pep is top of the pops at the moment, Silva was the pick of the young 'uns until he won one game in a about a million and got sacked. A few years back Brendan Rogers could do no wrong, and we were all lapping up Bobby Brown Shoes's bullshit.

It's a fickle game. I'm just hoping we can get to the end of the season intact, then my personal choice would be to get rid of Steve Walsh and Sam Allardyce – in that order of importance. Then a massive clear-out of the shite that's been bought over the past couple of years, and of the decent players who are past their sell-by date.

Year Zero needed in May.