The Special One

by   |   12/03/2018  6 Comments  [Jump to last]

I know were not encouraged to talk about the other lot on these pages, but at a time when our current manager is under intense scrutiny, and largely unwanted by the vast majority of our fans, I had a wry smile once again at 'Jose' and his gameplan on Saturday.

Once again, he was quite prepared to change the playing style of his team to nullify the opposition, and in the process, totally isolate Saleh and Co, in a style not seen this season.

How many managers would have the audacity to happily concede possession at home, in the knowledge that his forwards would bully the opposition centre-backs into submission, by the use of the long ball?

James Pearce, self-confessed Liverpool fan and Liverpool Echo reds correspondent, claimed rather sheepishly after the defeat, 'that Mourhino would never be suited to be manager of Liverpool'.

I pointed out the fact that whilst Mourhino had been collecting trophies for fun, at various clubs over the last 15 years, Liverpool had one solitary League Cup win in the last 12 years!!

I never did receive a reply.

I guess the point I'm making is that, whilst Everton aren't really in a position at the moment to attract a manager of the calibre of Mourhino, we must select a young forward-thinking candidate whose prepared to challenge the status quo, and bring a new dimension to the club.

That's the real challenge ahead for Moshiri.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (6)

Anthony Hawkins
1 Posted 13/03/2018 at 16:46:04
It's easy to point out who wouldn't be suitable to manage the club but less so to identify a manager who is both suitable and likely to accept the position.

As fans of a once highly performing club with a LOT of history, we need to consider what it means to become the best again. It might just mean shaking off the shackles of 'this is how we used to do it' and get ready for how it has to be done in the modern game.

Nil Satis has to be taken into context with the modern game - and that starts at the top.

Paul Kossoff
2 Posted 13/03/2018 at 17:25:59
Well done, Jose, shutting the Red Shite up for a while. 😇😇😇
Karen Mason
3 Posted 14/03/2018 at 23:42:38
Steve, while I accept your observations about Mourinho's tactics being effective against Liverpool, from what I have seen this season of United, they have 'conceded' possession in just about every game, not just vs Liverpool. Their 'park the team bus' style of play is not my cup of tea.

While Mourinho has been successful at winning trophies, he has to buy success, and never cultivates it. I have never seen players improve under his management at any club he has managed. I have never seen him nurture promising youngsters as part if his management. He leaves nothing in the way of a legacy at a club, that can be continued, as he has no interest in development of a club, it's players or its' Academy.

Yes, I know, he's won trophies, but for me that's only part of what a top class manager should do. Other than winning trophies, in fact, he seems to have a lot in common with Allardyce. Negative style of play, takes credit when things go well, and blames everyone but himself when things go wrong, thinks nothing of castigating his own players in public, arrogance that knows no bounds and out of touch with the fans. WOW, they could be twins!!!

I, like you, would like a young 'go get 'em Manager at our club, but for me they would have to be more in the style of Guardiola or Pochettino over Mourinho all day long.

Steve Hogan
4 Posted 15/03/2018 at 18:07:28
Hi Karen, appreciate your thoughts/comments on Jose, however, I think your being a little unfair on his career to date.

To get the really BIG jobs in football, you have to have proved yourself on a fairly consistent basis? I don't recall him having anything like a massive transfer budget at Porto, I think the major clubs he managed later on his career, like Real Madrid, certainly supplied him with the resources to go out and buy the best, but as our recent experience with Koeman proves, throwing money at player's and hoping they gel, isn't just the answer.

I can't be absolutely sure, because I haven't researched it, but I believe he is the only manager to have won the Champions League with the number of clubs he's actually managed.

As for his 'brand of football', I remember Chelsea playing some scintillating stuff at times, and I can't recall 'Real' fans complaining too much when he led them to titles/trophies etc?

I guess his Achilles heel, is that he's a tempremental sod, and sooner or later, he falls out spectacularly with the directors/owners of most of the clubs he's been with.

I for one would have him at Everton in a shot, the guys a winner.

Tony Waring
5 Posted 20/03/2018 at 09:32:24
I doubt Jose would even consider coming to Goodison but what about the guy at Leipzig? He has moulded a team from apparently ordinary players which shows style, scores goals and challenges for top place.
Steve Hogan
6 Posted 20/03/2018 at 09:51:09
Tony (#5) Agree, Jose certainly wouldn't consider Everton at this stage, just wishful thinking on my part.