Seamus: Refreshingly ordinary

by   |   01/02/2018  8 Comments  [Jump to last]

Seamus Coleman's return to the fold last night was significant in many ways. One, he certainly contributed to our overall defensive display, and his now trademark barnstorming runs down the right flank, most certainly lifted the crowd

Many, including myself, were a little alarmed however, at him being given a place in the starting line-up, after over 10 months out with a double fracture. However, give the manager some credit – he breezed through the game, seemingly with no ill effects, but I suggest he probably woke up knackered this morning, believing he'd been run over by a steam roller the night before.

Off the field, Seamus remains 'ordinary' it seems; you just know for certain you aren't going to be reading any tabloid headlines involving excess booze, drugs, or any of the other recreational activities many of his Premiership peer group get involved in during their spare time. He is held in such high esteem, both in Ireland and this country, that it's sadly almost a rare occurrence when this happens to a player these days

A number of Everton's senior pros are coming to the end of their career, and the contracts of Rooney, Jags, Williams, etc all expire in the next 12-18 months, with little chance they will be extended. Some would say now is the time to make Seamus the official club captain. He's just a fantastic club man and a great example to all players old and young in how to conduct yourself on and off the pitch

He's 30 this year, and has simply been a great servant. He really is one player who genuinely has not been affected by the significant salary and status players enjoy at the current time. He's also not adverse to putting his hand in his pocket on a regular basis, and helping out worthy causes back in Ireland and over here. I hope he continues to play for Everton for many more years

And to think, only injury stopped him signing for Burnley when on trial there in 2008.

Sixty grand, sixty grand, Seamus Coleman....

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (8)

Steve Hogan
1 Posted 01/02/2018 at 20:14:18
Sorry, typo in last paragraph, he was actually on trial at Burnley, but was loaned by Moyes to Blackpool.
Alan Bodell
2 Posted 01/02/2018 at 22:36:05
This guy is one of a kind, there's not a more honest player in the Premier League, just watch every time he gets twatted and he's up straight away without any whining, arm waving bollox like 90% of his peers, just wants to get on with his game.

Slotted in last night like he'd never been away and such a humble man too, he's just a wonderful rare gem we are so lucky to have.

Stan Schofield
3 Posted 02/02/2018 at 16:46:35
To me, Seamus is refreshingly good, rather than refreshingly ordinary. I think he shows more talent and commitment than ordinary players, and probably than most 'ordinary folk' (although of course he'd probably not think or want anyone to say as such).

He seems refreshingly good as a player, and as a genuine bloke, although I don't know him personally, hence 'seems'.

In summary, he's far from 'ordinary'.

Steve Hogan
4 Posted 02/02/2018 at 17:29:23
Stan (3), with respect, I think you've totally missed the gist of the post. I wasn't referring at all to his football prowess, I was merely trying to point out, that in the current climate of the modern footballer, Seamus comes across as quite a 'normal' individual.

Refreshing don't you think in the current era?

Stan Schofield
5 Posted 02/02/2018 at 17:46:39
Steve, I think I do understand what you mean, but I also think that 'ordinary' is the wrong term. A lot of so-called ordinary people who criticise rich footballers for their attitude would likely be precisely the same themselves given the same rewards.

In other words, I doubt that many 'ordinary' folks would be as grounded as Seamus given the same 'privileged' position that he's in. Sounds a bit cynical, but it's what I've concluded from looking at human behaviour, especially in the workplace. That's why I wouldn't see him as ordinary at all. But maybe it's semantics at the end of the day.

Lee Mandaracas
6 Posted 02/02/2018 at 21:08:18
Pedantry aside, I think we're all agreed you're absolutely right with your observations Steve
Jeff Armstrong
7 Posted 03/02/2018 at 20:24:00
I was in traffic on Queens Drive recently heading to Goodison, next to me was Seamus, onhis phine, whilst driving (all be it very slowly) so I think he is ordinary, and he's not a saint either by the way,.. well he is on the pitch – just not in his car.
Mike Woods
8 Posted 03/02/2018 at 20:34:22
Coleman gave a fantastic performance last Wednesday. Always had Gary Stevens as my best ever right back but Seamus is edging him.