Feeling left out

by   |   16/02/2018  20 Comments  [Jump to last]

Tuesday night and Wednesday morning I couldn’t read the papers listen to Talksport or watch Sky Sports as I was sick to death (and jealous) of hearing about Spurs’ brilliant comeback or Super City demolishing Basel!

Onto Wednesday night and Thursday morning, you couldn’t escape the media’s love in with Liverpool slamming Porto, how Klopp’s brand of football is so wonderful to watch, and how Salah is the best signing ever etc, etc! I’ve never listened to so much Radio 2 and watched my missus' programmes on tele!!

Onto Friday and TalkSport starts previewing this weekend’s FA Cup games!! For fuck's sake!!!

Onto my point: have Everton ever been so irrelevant? Out of the cups, nowhere in the league and we’re not even in a relegation battle, unlike 10 clubs below us! All the while this is going on, the group of multi-millionaire flops are on holiday in Dubai! The mind boggles!

I wish I didn’t care but it’s so frustrating listening and watching other teams' success! Sorry for such a negative posting but I’m sure lots of us feel the same! We are so irrelevant!

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (20)

Lawrence Green
1 Posted 17/02/2018 at 01:53:19
Stephen, I think you'll find that this season isn't very different to the many we have had previously in the Premier League period and indeed quite a few more during the history of the club. That's football; some clubs have good seasons, some have bad, some have disastrous ones.

This season seems far more painful because of the increased expectations which began to build following the early summer transfers etc but those expectations were crushed perhaps even before the Premier League season kicked off.

As for what other clubs are doing, there's no point in looking on wistfully at their exploits as their success doesn't make Everton's season worse. If Everton don't perform, that's enough to depress me without having to feel jealous of other clubs' successes.

Concentrate on what the Toffees do – it may not make you any happier but it will save you a bit of angst. 23 years without a trophy says we may have been irrelevant for quite a long time in truth.

Peter Howard
2 Posted 17/02/2018 at 08:53:19
Stephen,

I know how you feel but just to put it in context, can you name all the quarter-finalists from last season's Champions League and FA Cup without having to look it up?

Tony Abrahams
3 Posted 17/02/2018 at 08:58:29
It's gone full circle, and the only real happiness we will receive this season is when Klopp's Kings end up in next season's Europa League with Everton.
Dermot Byrne
4 Posted 17/02/2018 at 10:17:02
I find the best solution, my friend, is to come on here and tell my fellow fans they are snowflakes or are talking horse-shit!
Paul Birmingham
5 Posted 17/02/2018 at 13:02:49
C'est la Vie... Alas, the best part of the last 30 years. There was once a period in history called The Dark Ages, and in a different context, it's been a very dimly lit light over Goodison Park, for this time.

The club lost its way years ago in terms of board leadership. Rays of hope and some bright light on the horizon very soon, I hope.

Darren Hind
6 Posted 17/02/2018 at 13:23:16
There's a competition called the Champions League?
Kim Vivian
7 Posted 17/02/2018 at 17:52:15
I have to say the FA Cup is fucking boring when you've been dumped out, isn't it?

Rather have the emotion of looking forward to us playing even knowing we're likely getting spanked.

Mike Gaynes
8 Posted 17/02/2018 at 18:10:26
Gotta disagree with that sentiment, Kim... obviously it would be more fun if we were still in it, but I've seen some cracking games the last couple of weeks between lower-division teams and the big boys that remind us all how passionate the game can be.
Bill Gienapp
9 Posted 17/02/2018 at 19:59:47
It could be worse. There's a good chance we end up 7th again and back in the Europa League, albeit more by default. And if being in a relegation fight makes you relevant, I'll pass.
Anthony Hawkins
10 Posted 18/02/2018 at 11:10:02
Everton may be irrelevant right now but 2 points and we're in 7th. That may be an alternative route intro the Europa League. If that happens, then Everton suddenly have relevance again.
Ernie Baywood
11 Posted 18/02/2018 at 11:31:35
I just made a similar comment on another thread before seeing this one.

Last season, we were nailed-on for 7th for months. Wasn't getting better or worse. We weren't winning anything.

This season, we're again out of everything and even our manager is talking about writing the season off.

Individual wins will feel good but there's really nothing to get too excited about. Does our next game mean that much in any real context?

Maybe goes some way to explaining the apathy shown on the pitch at times. We're a compete irrelevance.

Andrew James
12 Posted 18/02/2018 at 13:09:07
I like following football other than Everton if there's a story but this media obsession over the “Top 6” is tediously boring. I even find it dull when they talk about Everton because they get so much wrong. Like defending our various managers for terrible mistakes they would happily criticise the likes of Wenger for.

But we've even become irrelevant with our history. The media bang on about the 1960s and talk about the great managers like Busby, Revie, Shankly and Nicholson but never refer to Catterick who won more or less the same amount of trophies at the time.

It is up to us fans – and the team – to remind people and the stupid, lazy and myopic media that we are relevant. I think us fans are doing our best…over to you, Team EFC!!

Dick Fearon
13 Posted 18/02/2018 at 21:06:47
Having just watched each and every Rochdale player take the game right up to the mighty Spurs, I am forced to wonder who was responsible for the expensive dogshit we signed...
Si Cooper
14 Posted 18/02/2018 at 21:12:43
Re the Rochdale game. How many thought Alderweirald flopping on the ball and wedging it in with his arm was one of the clearest penalties you could ever hope to see?

Another poor decision from the lamentable Bobby Madley.

Jay Harris
15 Posted 18/02/2018 at 22:02:06
What happened to VAR for the FA cup games? Alli clearly dived over the Rochdale defenders leg (again) but there won't be any FA investigation because the media swept it under the table (again).
John G Davies
16 Posted 18/02/2018 at 22:18:35
Jay,

I consider Alli to be typical of what is wrong with top level English football.

That was a nailed on penalty though mate.

Phil Walling
17 Posted 19/02/2018 at 13:10:31
Just thinking how I used to get dog's abuse for claiming 'seventhish' was our right place in the pecking order. Now it's seen as something worth aiming for and one or two doing cartwheels at the prospect of more Europa turd if Super Seventh is achieved.

We have much to thank Muddler Moshiri for, haven't we, guys?

Victor Yu
18 Posted 21/02/2018 at 08:08:37
In a way I don't want us to finish 7th. It will mean one more season under Sam and I don't think it is good for us at all.
Anthony Hawkins
19 Posted 21/02/2018 at 12:22:56
Victor (#18). I have the same dilemma in my head. I always want Everton to win and do their best but another season under Sam? It would give him bragging rights for getting us from 19th (arguably when he joined) to 7th and potentially in Europe. That just doesn't sit well with me.
Derek Thomas
20 Posted 22/02/2018 at 09:50:18
Victor @ 18; Anthony @ 19. Unless one of the 'Big Names' that Moshiri seems to fancy, like Fonseca Big etc, is up for it and we stay where we are at 9th/10th, or even move up 1 or 2 places, Sam will be here next season.