Reader Comments (34)

Paul Kelly
1 Posted 14/08/2018 at 11:08:37
Brilliant Mike, hope you get a ticket mate, but also be sure not to make any other arrangements for that weekend as it will probably be moved for TV closer to the date.
Brent Stephens
2 Posted 14/08/2018 at 11:24:15
Great stuff, Mike. Hope you can get a ticket for our win at Anfield. And as Paul says, beware the date change!
Steve Ferns
3 Posted 14/08/2018 at 11:27:19
Nice one Mike, I'm sure we can arrange something nearer the time.
Keith Harrison
4 Posted 14/08/2018 at 13:19:32
I take it this is an unofficial begging letter for me to get you another ticket, Mike?

Operating a barter system now pal. Bring the towels and cutlery back from your last stay, and the ticket is yours.

The Halligan Mansion can sleep 68, so anyone else looking to travel and stay over is welcome. Don't attempt to sneak in uninvited late at night though, the Leopards have their leashes slipped at 9pm.

Rob Halligan
5 Posted 14/08/2018 at 13:50:16
The leopards are still cubs, Keith. It's the lions and rottweilers people need to be aware of.
Mike Gaynes
6 Posted 14/08/2018 at 13:59:50
Thanks, guys. I allowed a day either side for the game to be either moved up to Friday or back to Sunday. I doubt they'll shift it to Monday since we have a game on Wednesday.

Sorry Keith, but Sarah loves the towels and we're keeping them. Besides, none of that wildlife scares me as much as Rob's watch cat. Grrrrr.

Dave Abrahams
7 Posted 14/08/2018 at 15:20:21
Glad to see you are keeping fit and lovely to see you thinking of Gerry and his wife at this time, I'll do my best to meet you and I'll do you a favour and keep Tony away from you so he doesn't spoil your visit.
Peter Mills
8 Posted 14/08/2018 at 22:04:59
You’re welcome to the cutlery in the Mills household Mike, I’ve only been allowed plastic knives for some time now.
Michael Morgan
9 Posted 14/08/2018 at 22:30:14
Glad you're doing well with your remission Mike, hope you have a great time and get to celebrate a great win.
Brian Williams
10 Posted 14/08/2018 at 22:35:28
Mike, I won't step foot in that shithole but I look forward to meeting up for a drink or three mate!
Paul Tran
11 Posted 14/08/2018 at 22:40:52
Mike, great to hear you're over here again. Will you be heading over the right side of the border?
Mike Gaynes
12 Posted 14/08/2018 at 23:14:02
Brian, can't wait, mate. Sorry Paul, no time to head north this trip, so you've gotta come to Liverpool.

Dave, got to meet the both of yas! You come as a set, right?

Peter, as you may recall from our trip to the pastie shop, I eat with my fingers only.

Michael, thank you.

Paul Kelly
13 Posted 14/08/2018 at 23:41:19
Love times like this, great to see so many blues come together. Another top weekend beckons Micky lad, great, made up for yer.
Drew O'Neall
14 Posted 15/08/2018 at 00:35:00
Mike

Great news. Wishing you another once in a lifetime trip and many a long year to tell the tales.

David Barks
15 Posted 15/08/2018 at 05:52:21
I wish I could come over. Been far too long. Enjoy yourself.
Paul Tran
16 Posted 15/08/2018 at 09:40:10
Can everyone out there remember Mike's 100% record and find a way of getting him into Mordor?
Jay Harris
17 Posted 15/08/2018 at 10:14:49
Mike,
I am currently in the UK about a mile from the ground but will probably be back in the US by November. It's a shame as I would love to enjoy a pint with you.

Perhaps we can organize a mass exodus of expat blues for a trip to one of the final games of the season when I hope we are still in with a shout of something worthwhile.

Enjoy your trip, I'm sure the hospitality alone will make it enjoyable but a win at Anfield would make you mascot of the year.

Jamie Crowley
18 Posted 15/08/2018 at 23:04:18
Mike, what an awesome post. How did I miss this until now?!

I hope you have a fantastic time over yonder. Take pics again and post another article when you get back chronicling all your moments and exploits, as you did last time.

I'll be in Florida. Where it's warm. Where my bank account won't get crushed with airfare. Some day I'll make the trip.

Also, I'm very happy for you. Coming off cancer and thinking you might be making a one and only pilgrimage your last visit, it warms the heart to see you heading over for the sequel.

Enjoy, Mike. The internet would suggest you're a warm, friendly, nice man who's had to overcome some health obstacles.

You deserve it. Go have fun. When you're at Goodison, root for me too.

Si Cooper
19 Posted 15/08/2018 at 23:38:04
Silva Ferns??? I get the association but I believe the ‘Silver Ferns’ are the NZ Ladies rugby union team. Mind you, I’m sure that’s no slur on Steve’s masculinity as they are sporting icons and probably harder than most blokes to boot. :)
Mike Gaynes
20 Posted 16/08/2018 at 06:30:43
Si, it's actually the NZ women's netball team, but I didn't know that until I looked it up. I just know the silver fern is the national shrub of NZ.

Neither of which figured into my teasing Steve about his fixation on our manager!

Mike Gaynes
21 Posted 16/08/2018 at 06:33:38
Jay, thank you.

Jamie, will do, mate. We do need to meet up at some point, somewhere here in the U.S. of A.

Darren Hind
22 Posted 16/08/2018 at 06:46:40
Will look forward to it Mike.

We will be sending our very own lucky charm into Mordor, like David facing Goliath.
You're good luck Versus their seemingly endless Faustian pact. Dont let us down.

No pressure though

Mike Gaynes
23 Posted 16/08/2018 at 14:02:26
I won't let ya down, Darren.

Unless I pull a hammy in warmups.

Darren Hind
24 Posted 16/08/2018 at 19:32:33
Hope not, Mike,

I once heard a group of people in the pub talking about your first trip. Your story went beyond ToffeeWeb.

If you can bring the charm to beat the shite a Mordor, you will become legend. future generations of Evertonians will sing songs about you. You will be up there with David France, Brian Labone and Dave Hickson.

Of course the downside is: If we lose, it will be all your fault.

Dermot Byrne
26 Posted 16/08/2018 at 19:49:25
Ah Mike mate. The stars are lining up!

Keep us updated on your schedule?

Sounds a great trip.

Mike Gaynes
27 Posted 16/08/2018 at 19:55:06
No place for me among the legends, Darren, but I was delighted and humbled that first article got so much response. Long-lost friends reconnected in that comment string. It really exemplified what a family club this is -- and I refer to both Everton and TW.

As for a win across the park, I'll predict the score right now -- the same as the store where I bought all my kit last time -- Liverpool One, Everton Two. What a day that would be. I'd probably miss my flight home.

Peter Gorman
28 Posted 16/08/2018 at 20:22:20
I wish you a safe and successful trip Mike - hopefully your lucky charm will rub off on the team again and you'll get to make some more happy memories.
Rob Halligan
29 Posted 16/08/2018 at 20:30:10
Don't worry about missing your flight home, Mike. Keith will be more than willing to drive you to Manchester airport, or Heathrow if that's where need to get too.
Mike Gaynes
30 Posted 16/08/2018 at 20:58:43
Rob, I'm just saying that I probably wouldn't be conscious enough to get on the plane.
James Hughes
31 Posted 16/08/2018 at 21:05:12
Mike, hope you have a great time over here. The derby is still the first game I look for every season. Actually being there is both a joy and a pain.

I have had the joy of us beating them at Goodison. Only visited their ground 4 times, 1 draw & 3 defeats. No joy, just pain.

Hope you bring some luck, but just hope you have a great trip.

Dave Williams
32 Posted 18/08/2018 at 11:07:19
Well done Mike. You sound a feisty guy from your posts and it will be that character that has seen you through.
Delighted to hear you are coming over again- I hope you can see a win because there really is no feeling like beating that shower, especially at the meccano ground!
Frank Wade
33 Posted 18/08/2018 at 18:46:00
I was hoping to synchronise with your next visit Mike and are planning a trip to the next home game the following week. Hope you get the result to put the icing on the European tour.
Jack Convery
34 Posted 19/08/2018 at 16:48:59
If you get to the game and we win, you will have to come over every season from then on, whenever we go to Mordor. You do realise that, don't you?
Mike Gaynes
35 Posted 19/08/2018 at 19:44:04
No problem, Jack. I'll save up my frequent flyer miles.