Reader Comments (78)

1 Posted 18/08/2018 at 14:26:14
And now Pawson awards a penalty for Newcastle in added time... saved by Elderidge!
Ernie Baywood
2 Posted 18/08/2018 at 14:43:37
Missed a clear red too.
3 Posted 18/08/2018 at 17:16:29
And take a look at Vardy's sending off — for very obviously winning the ball, but following through.
4 Posted 18/08/2018 at 17:41:33
Damn it... Chelsea make scoring look even easier than our slick movement today.

Barkley starts for them again, and came up with a fine shot just over the bar.

5 Posted 18/08/2018 at 17:50:49
Fantastic build-up from Arsenal and unbelievable miss from Abumayang!!! Hillarious. Before Morata scores at the other end. Lively game!
David Barks
6 Posted 18/08/2018 at 17:55:39
What a horrible miss that was. But how great is it to see the level of football in the Premier League now? The dinosaurs are going extinct.
7 Posted 18/08/2018 at 18:09:57
Arsenal finally score, a very sweet strike from Mkhitaryan. Then a fantastic curving shot saved by Cech. Good game!
8 Posted 18/08/2018 at 18:12:34
And now 2-2. Some fine football. Not even half-time yet! Quite a showpiece.
David Barks
9 Posted 18/08/2018 at 18:15:05
And Arsenal should have 5!
John G Davies
10 Posted 18/08/2018 at 18:15:25
Entertaining game, Michael.

What's happening with both sides' defensive set-up?

David Barks
11 Posted 18/08/2018 at 18:16:38
Oh dear, another miss! Should be 6!
12 Posted 18/08/2018 at 18:16:54
Two more brilliant moves from Arsenal, two more glorious misses!
Frank Wade
13 Posted 18/08/2018 at 18:30:59
How is Barkley doing, lads? Only tuning in for 2nd half now.
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

14 Posted 18/08/2018 at 18:40:27
Pawson is far from my favourite referee, but I genuinely thought he had a very good game today.
Frank Wade
15 Posted 18/08/2018 at 18:47:19
Great shot from Barkley there. He seems better settled under Sarri.
16 Posted 18/08/2018 at 18:51:43
Barkley is looking better each time I see him. It must say something about his determination that Sarri is giving him so much playing time.
17 Posted 18/08/2018 at 18:55:25
I guess our foul-yellow-red experts have still not seen the Vardy sending off. A lunge in that totally wins the ball, no question. But follow-through deemed reckless?

I guess we'll have to wait until MotD to get the definitive analysis... [cough, splutter, choke]

James Flynn
18 Posted 18/08/2018 at 19:27:30
Arsenal-Chelsea was a fun game.

Love Sarri out there in his pajamas.

David Barks
19 Posted 18/08/2018 at 19:51:06
Wow, that Vardy challenge was extremely dirty. Who is debating whether that was a red? It was awful.
John Pierce
20 Posted 18/08/2018 at 20:05:33
Pawson struggled again today. His eyes already moving away from Kenedy trying to read the game rather than refereeing for the worst case scenario, almost exactly like last week.

My criticism of him last week was he clearly couldn’t see the incident clearly so had pieced it together. You cannot red someone on that basis even if was a red, it’s a guess.

Today the same and for the penalty too. His angle was not definitive as to whether it was clearly in the area.

He needs to take stock and take a different approach. Despite the errors I don’t think of him when I wish to summon a poor referee to mind.

Kenedy will be banned for sure and Vardy was like a dog tackling a errant moving crisp packet on the heath!

21 Posted 18/08/2018 at 22:16:53
But David, he got the ball!!!

So he followed through... collateral damage, surely?

Rob Dolby
22 Posted 18/08/2018 at 22:29:44
Does anyone think that the Southampton player who creased schneiderlin was lucky only to get a yellow. Pawson would have given a red for sure.
David Hallwood
23 Posted 19/08/2018 at 11:55:26
Speaking of Barkley, I see he's starting in front of Hazard these days.
Brent Stephens
24 Posted 19/08/2018 at 16:28:12
United 2 down!
25 Posted 19/08/2018 at 16:30:50
Tremendous fun down on the South Coast...

A certain Shane Duffy (once of this parish) puts Brighton 2-0 up against Man Utd with half-an-hour gone.

Brent Stephens
26 Posted 19/08/2018 at 16:34:44
And Lukaku gets one.
Dave Abrahams
27 Posted 19/08/2018 at 16:36:50
Come on United, and Mourino.
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

28 Posted 19/08/2018 at 16:38:46
Have you been drinking, Dave?
Brent Stephens
29 Posted 19/08/2018 at 16:39:09
You're banned, Dave.
Brent Stephens
30 Posted 19/08/2018 at 16:43:12
Penalty to Brighton...
Brent Stephens
31 Posted 19/08/2018 at 16:44:27
and it's 3-1
David Barks
32 Posted 19/08/2018 at 16:47:15
United are very vulnerable this season. Mourinho will be gone by the end of the season. Another dinosaur that will be gone from England.
Dave Abrahams
33 Posted 19/08/2018 at 16:54:52
Jay (26), No, I genuinely like Man Utd and Mourinho, he's a Maverick with plenty of faults, and I understand why plenty don't like him, but I do.
David Barks
34 Posted 19/08/2018 at 16:59:16
Dave, you realize you’re on an Everton site, right? You genuinely like United?
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

35 Posted 19/08/2018 at 17:01:26
I'm with you on Mourinho, Dave. He's a very canny operator, unpalatable and annoying as he is evidently for some. I'm also an admirer of many a Man Utd team down the years.

But cheering both on, against Brighton? Nah! That's beyond me. Even this early in the season, I want Everton sitting above as many teams as possible, all the more so to sit above one of our contenders.

36 Posted 19/08/2018 at 17:02:22
Becca with an illuminating stat:

Man Utd did not concede three goals in a single Premier League match all last season.

Maybe something in this, Mr Barks. But Jose should never be underestimated, in my opinion, but wouldn't it be lovely if say, Rom fell out and led a massive dressing room mutiny that destroyed their season?

I'd love it... I'd just love it.

Darren Hind
37 Posted 19/08/2018 at 17:02:49
Man Utd are very popular amongst a section of our fans. They figure any club who can cause the Kopites so much heartache, can't be all bad.

ps: Man City clearly fucked without De Bruyne.

John Pierce
38 Posted 19/08/2018 at 17:06:17
Error strewn United, even De Gea with a couple of very poor passes.

A team not allowed to express themselves, no joy in their game.

Only made shades worse when the blue half of their city play before them and decimate their opposition with flair.

Not one ounce of sympathy. They appointed a manager slipping behind current coaching trends, in response to two previously poor appointments.

And lest they forget we had to put up with them winning everything in sight for 20 odd years. What goes around Jose.

John Pierce
39 Posted 19/08/2018 at 17:07:12
Oh, I might add, despite everything, you'd not be surprised if they won, would you?
David Barks
40 Posted 19/08/2018 at 17:08:17
Jose has done nothing but run down his players in public all Summer, telling anyone who would listen that his defense isn’t good enough despite him spending half a billion in 2 seasons. He’s a defensive, negative manager while that style of football is thankfully being put to rest.

I used to love his antics, found him to be hilarious. But the fact is that he is run out of every club he goes to after a couple of years because he blames everyone but himself and HE becomes the toxic element, not any player.

Anthony Flack
41 Posted 19/08/2018 at 17:08:21
Michael @ 34,

Bitter twisted and beautiful!

Imagine Pogba and Lukaku both stinking the place out...

Andrew Clare
42 Posted 19/08/2018 at 17:27:04
Mourinho has lost interest, as he always does in the third year with a club. He sees the players for the prima donnas that they are and ends up losing patience with them. So strange for a manager with the incredible record of success he has.

I'm not keen on Man Utd but I have to admit that they have had some great teams over the years. They'll probably come out and beat Brighton anyway.

43 Posted 19/08/2018 at 17:29:16
What a ridiculous booking for Murray... how as that even a foul. He just stood his ground.
David Barks
44 Posted 19/08/2018 at 17:29:19
Is Lingard one of the most overrated players in Premier League history? Might be. The Mancunian Aaron Lennon to me. “He runs hard” “injection of energy”.
Joe McMahon
45 Posted 19/08/2018 at 17:32:51
David, quite true... but he still did Everton at goodison.
Gerry Quinn
46 Posted 19/08/2018 at 17:34:15
Anyone else think that David Silva is the best player in the League? Would love to have him play for Everton – absolute class and 100% every game.
David Barks
47 Posted 19/08/2018 at 17:36:15
David Silva is absolutely phenomenal. He is a joy to watch.
Gerry Quinn
48 Posted 19/08/2018 at 17:37:50
Almost as good as Osman, David? Just kidding!
David Barks
49 Posted 19/08/2018 at 17:41:50
Almost Gerry.
John G Davies
50 Posted 19/08/2018 at 17:48:18
Did anyone see Huddersfield goal?
Dave Abrahams
51 Posted 19/08/2018 at 17:52:14
Darren (36), you know the score, but that's only part of it. Growing up watching the Busby-run club playing beautiful football, there was nothing about the club to dislike. Mind you, when you're young, you are just in love with football, everything is good about the game.

Now, money has nearly ruined the game and there is plenty to make you turn your nose up at most things applied to football, but still plenty to make you go to Goodison with a spring in your step, like yesterday.

David (33), yes I like Man Utd but absolutely love the Blues and, if United get beat, well they get beat; when Everton lose, it's the end of the world.

Gerry, best regards, David Silva, a big Yes; one of the good things about football, watching players like him.

Steve Ferns
52 Posted 19/08/2018 at 17:58:21
My Dad taught me to cheer on the Red Shite over the Mancs. Then the Mancs over the Cockneys, and any British team over a foreign one. I understand the game has moved on from when he formulated those ideals and he did acknowledge that a year or so ago when he said it's not the same as the RS only has Trent Alexander-Armstrong.

He always told me that I should want my uncles and cousins to be happy with the win and so we both did cheer the shite on in the Champions League final, even if I found it hard to repress a snigger or two.

Brent Stephens
53 Posted 19/08/2018 at 17:58:47
A well-deserved win by Brighton. Effort and no little skill.
54 Posted 19/08/2018 at 17:58:58
Strange penalty decision... but it mattered not... Yabba dabba dooooo!
John G Davies
55 Posted 19/08/2018 at 17:59:33
Man Utd?

Any team that can inflict the pain on our neighbours that United have over the years will do me.

Paul Tran
56 Posted 19/08/2018 at 18:07:36
Mourinho will never stop being a good coach, but he's increasingly looking like yesterday's man. The team look unhappy and lack quality in certain areas.

Man Utd know they compromised themselves hiring him; I suspect that some in their hierarchy are waiting for reasons to get rid.

Andy Peers
57 Posted 19/08/2018 at 18:07:43
The reason the Premier League is so popular, and always will be, is because of results like this with Money United beaten by BHA. The Premier League attracts a lot of money from around the world, so this will always be the most popular league for football.

I agree it seems like money has ruined the league, but honestly, it has brought the best players and managers and every player/manager wants to be a part of it.

Gerry Quinn
58 Posted 19/08/2018 at 18:08:39
Man Utd? Sorry, can't stand them... yet another one of the Sky darlings that can do nothing wrong – I hate the way that Sky and the BBC have re-defined fucking history!

They wendied on about Aguero almost catching up on Shearer's "incredible" Premier fucking League 11 hat-tricks! WTF? Dixie Dean got 30 fucking 7 of the bastards...

Dave Abrahams
59 Posted 19/08/2018 at 18:14:56
Steve (#52), your dad was a bigger man than me with that attitude, but Steve never repress a snigger at them bastards – you'll only damage yourself...
Brent Stephens
60 Posted 19/08/2018 at 18:15:46
Interviewers are knobs, aren't they. This one on Sky asking Mourinho if they suffered from any poor individual performances. Lighting the touch paper.

John (#50)?? Did I miss something??

John G Davies
61 Posted 19/08/2018 at 18:18:13
Just the defending from Stones for the goal Brent.
Brent Stephens
62 Posted 19/08/2018 at 18:18:46
Ah, missed that.
Brent Stephens
63 Posted 19/08/2018 at 18:21:42
Redknapp on Sky saying he thinks Mourinho doesn't know what his best team is and he doesn't know how they play, what their tactics are supposed to be. And the team lacks desire to get back into a game. That was us last season.
Mike Galley
64 Posted 19/08/2018 at 18:39:55
I couldn't like any team other than the blues. I guess I dislike some teams less than others. With regards the United/RS dynamic, I remember coming home from Wembley in 1985, an absolutely broken 15-year-old, to find out the RS in our road in Kirkby had celebrated by dancing in the street when Whiteside scored.

For this Evertonian, the battlelines were drawn that day. I want Man Utd to beat them every day of the week and twice on a Sunday.

They've had a go at me (mum and dads neighbours) for wanting Man Utd to beat them; I always reply that I do but I draw the line at celebrating in the street though.
Rant over!

Steve Ferns
65 Posted 19/08/2018 at 18:53:14
Has anyone seen "All or Nothing: Man City"? I have really enjoyed the series. The first three were on American Football, and whilst I am very far from being an American Football fan, I found it fascinating. I really enjoyed the one on the Arizona Cardinals. Their coach was a really interesting guy.

Earlier this summer, the rival brought out a version on Juventus on Netflix. I've yet to watch that yet, as it's all in Italian and so in subtitles. I'll enjoy it immensely, but I'll need to be in the mood to watch something with subtitles.

So back to Man City. It's on Amazon Prime. It's a fly-on-the-wall documentary. It gives a real insight into what a manager does, and those of you who know me will know that I'm in my element here. The programme gets access I could not believe as they discuss the intricacies of tactics and other details I'd thought they would keep secret.

I always knew roughly what Guardiola was like, but seeing him in action like this blows me away as to how intense, how detailed, how passionate, and how much of a football genius this guy truly is.

To bring it back to Everton, think what the last five managers are like. Moyes, Martinez, Koeman, Allardyce and now Silva. Moyes has Guardiola's determination, intensity, dedication, and passion. His problem was always that he lacked the confidence in his players to play an attacking game and went safety first.

Martinez was the opposite and I think Martinez has a lot of qualities that Guardiola has. It's just his problem is the complete absence of any desire to defend, and with an above average group of players (as opposed to the best players in the league), playing so recklessly was always asking for trouble.

Koeman was meant to be more pragmatic. But clearly, he lacked the passion, the dedication, and the determination. I do think the guy could rival Guardiola for tactical ability. When he could be arsed, such as the city 4-0 win, you could see Koeman making brilliant adjustments from the side-lines. However, like the Watford defeat in his first season, he simply leant on the post and watch the players toil at times and seemed like he couldn't be arsed.

We all know Big Sam's failings. I imagine such a programme on him would be so very different. Not least that he, like Koeman, took a back seat on the training pitch.

Silva has a different philosophy. However, he shares so many of the qualities of dedication, will to win, hunger and drive to succeed, a ruthlessness, an attention to detail, and brilliant analytical mind.

I don't know if he will ever be as good as Guardiola, probably not, and probably not even close, but it won't be for a lack of passion, dedication, or effort.

Anyway, make sure to watch the show, it's brilliant.

Tom Bowers
67 Posted 19/08/2018 at 19:00:53
RS very poor today. Brighton the same as last season basically. Mourinho signed a knob in Lindeloff.

COYB

David Barks
68 Posted 19/08/2018 at 20:05:39
Yes Steve, that show has been amazing. Shows what an amazing tactician Pep is, dictating how his team can attack every other team and being flexible in his tactics. That man is intense as all hell.
Andy Crooks
69 Posted 19/08/2018 at 22:12:08
Steve, as soon as I watched the first couple of episodes, I thought, 'Steve Ferns will love this'.

Most striking for me is just how insanely pampered these players are and how utterly ludicrous football has become. Compelling viewing, though.

Tony Abrahams
78 Posted 20/08/2018 at 22:35:40
I only saw the second half, but that Palace looked the better team to me? Not biased, they look a decent team now, so that was a great tip John G!

Text me, mate, with the word "simulation" and received one back saying I was mad, and then the commentators come out ten minutes later and choose their words very, very, very carefully, and said he might have over-ran the ball before he was tackled!

Nothing to argue though, because once the ref has made his decision, what else can he do?

Rob Halligan
79 Posted 20/08/2018 at 22:48:17
Tony, are you talking about the penalty on Salah? It looked to me that he kicked Sekho's foot then went down in stages. Oliver couldn't wait to give the penalty.

Will Salah get a three-match ban for simulation? Not a cat in hells chance.

The sending off did seem correct at the time, but as Alan Smith says, Salah lost control of the ball, and therefore, even though it was a foul, it did not prevent an obvious goalscoring opportunity.

Tony Abrahams
81 Posted 20/08/2018 at 23:02:48
I only saw the second half Rob, so I was talking about the sending off mate. No point arguing but if he had just went round the keeper, instead of over-running the ball, then I'm sure he would have been able to stay on his feet?

I didn't know that Liverpool, got a penalty, but I know that it's no use criticising Mo though, even if I think his simulation, resulted in a player getting sent off.

Rob Halligan
82 Posted 20/08/2018 at 23:27:51
Sorry Tony. I misread your post.

I actually thought the sending off was correct, as the defender clearly caught Salah, but after seeing the replay again, Salah does lose control of the ball, so should it have only been a yellow card, as a goalscoring opportunity was not denied? I don't know, as Wan Bissaka was the last defender and did catch Salah.

Who'd be a ref.

Gary Russell
85 Posted 21/08/2018 at 13:33:41
I enjoyed the first episode of Citeh's All Or Nothing. Genius might be a tad too far. If he managed a team with little cash for transfers and got them winning stuff, then maybe. We will never know, but I wonder how Jose, Pep, Klopp et al. would do without such huge financial means.
Erik Dols
88 Posted 21/08/2018 at 14:31:07
Gary #85, Jose won the Champions League with FC Porto. After winning the UEFA Cup with them the season before. Before he went to Porto he managed União Leiria and they ended 5th in the league under him, to date still their best classification ever.

Klopp managed to get Mainz promoted to the Bundesliga for the first time ever and, within a couple of seasons, into the Uefa Cup, both times beating the financial odds.

They're both managers I don't really like but I have to admit that those two started out at teams that were not financial powerhouses and still got results.

Gary Russell
89 Posted 21/08/2018 at 14:37:50
I stand corrected Erik. Thanks
Erik Dols
90 Posted 21/08/2018 at 14:51:14
No worries Gary, I understand where you come from anyway. To be honest I feel Klopp will never be able to replicate his results at Mainz at another "smaller" club as he is used to having nearly unlimited resources now, and his tactics do require a certain type of player - quick and the stamina of an ox, and his defenders need to be able to play with a ton of space behind them. Not easy to get on a shoestring budget.

Mourinho is a whole other case, parking the bus can be done with limited resources and virtually every group of players, but his ego will be in the way of ever successfully coping with the "small club" resources.

Gary Russell
91 Posted 21/08/2018 at 15:06:50
Erik, a whole new format with an equal playing field when the bubble bursts (it surely has to) might throw up some real sport. There are no adequate words for the amount of money in the game.
Steve Ferns
92 Posted 21/08/2018 at 21:27:31
It's not Premier League, but this Leeds game is brilliant.

In pre-season I doubted my managerial hero Marcelo Bielsa, and wrote him off as finished and lacking energy. Leeds have been brilliant under him. He's changed more than Silva and transformed them completely in his image. They're won their first 4 games, and are set to draw the 5th away at Swansea which will be as tough a game as they'll play.

This game is vintage El Loco, and not satisfied with the draw, he's going for all or nothing! It's a good old grandstand finish to this, watch it!