Hey ToffeeWebbers…

I posted here back in August that I was planning another invasion from across the Pond, and I’m happy to say that my suitcase is packed. A concert tour with the choir through Italy, Germany and Poland… and then a quick hop over to Merseyside for the Derby on the 2nd! I can’t wait.

My tour director, the eminent Peter Mills, has decreed that we’re all gonna party on Friday evening of 30 November. The site is The Midland pub on the corner of Ranelagh Street and Case Street, directly opposite Central Station, between 5:00pm and 7:00pm. Anybody here who has ever wanted to shake my hand or punch me in the mouth is welcome. (And for you Special Ones – you know who you are – the first round is on me!)

But here’s the thing – I need a little help from somebody. I’m still without a ticket to get into Mordor.

Has anybody got an extra? Money is no object. And I promise victory!

Thanks…

Mike The Yank

Reader Comments (62)

Dave Abrahams
1 Posted 04/11/2018 at 20:09:22
Have you tried Everton FC, Mike? Let them know the circumstances of your visit (plus the guaranteed victory). Worth a chance, Mike.
Tony Abrahams
2 Posted 04/11/2018 at 21:04:07
I was talking to Kev Johno the other day at Tony Kelly's funeral, and he told me everyone was struggling to get you a ticket Mike.

Have faith, something will turn up, but maybe you might have to watch a famous victory from the Kop!

Mike Gaynes
3 Posted 04/11/2018 at 23:50:09
Thank you for the suggestions, Messrs Abrahams, and you are two whom I am definitely looking forward to meeting at the Midland!
Kristian Boyce
4 Posted 05/11/2018 at 00:12:14
Mike, try the Everton USA Facebook page. They are pretty good at securing tickets from the club for fans traveling over.
Mike Gaynes
5 Posted 05/11/2018 at 01:31:57
Will do, Kristian. Thanks.
Dave Abrahams
6 Posted 06/11/2018 at 15:48:00
Mike, there's good news and bad news and even further bad news.

The good news is Tony has managed to get you a ticket, the bad news is it is in the Liverpool End in the centenary stand; the further bad news is you will be sitting next to me.

Two of Tony's mates have given up their seats for a good cause.

Peter Mills
7 Posted 06/11/2018 at 17:40:06
Mike, I think you can safely take that as good news, bad news and good news.
Brent Stephens
8 Posted 06/11/2018 at 17:48:43
Hats off to Abrahams "pere et fils"! So your lad didn't turn out a total dud, Dave.
Dave Abrahams
9 Posted 06/11/2018 at 17:53:21
Brent (8), hats off to two genuine Liverpudlians.
Brent Stephens
10 Posted 06/11/2018 at 17:59:13
Dave, in all seriousness, that's a great little story. In this day and age of such animosity between the two camps, for some of "them" to give up their tickets for some of "us" is heart-warming. Speaks volumes for what sort of people the Abrahams family must be. Respect.
James Hughes
11 Posted 06/11/2018 at 18:17:19
Mike, looks like you are sorted for the game, enjoy it, the atmosphere can be special. No doubt Mr Abrahams will look after you.

I really hope you do bring that luck with you and continue your winning streak.

Ian Jones
12 Posted 06/11/2018 at 21:06:13
Mike G - if your visit to Anfield does bring a victory for us to continue what I assume is a 'winning' streak in watching Everton win, then someone needs to nick your passport or easier still, you should just emigrate here. Soon be champions of everything.
Mike Gaynes
13 Posted 07/11/2018 at 04:56:34
Wow, David and Tony, what can I say, you are two of the finest.

Many, many thanks to both of you for your efforts on my behalf, and to Tony's two mates for their sacrifice. Please come and join us at the Midland on the Friday evening before the game, and the libations are on me.

And Dave, I will be honored to be in such company for this historic occasion -- Liverpool 1, Everton 2.

Thank you again, gentlemen.

Mike Gaynes
14 Posted 07/11/2018 at 05:04:28
Dave, I look forward to your instruction on how to behave in order to not get us whupped or drenched in beer.
Paul Kelly
15 Posted 07/11/2018 at 07:08:35
Brilliant lads. Class, hats off to those involved.

I hope you're our lucky omen Mike. Fuck knows we need one. A win is well overdue.

Have a great trip.

Tony Abrahams
16 Posted 07/11/2018 at 07:10:59
Funny Mike, but you will have to be briefed mate! I was telling my mate about you’re dilemma, how you had beaten the biggest fight of your life, and he said that you could have his seat.

I phoned the fella who sits next to him, he hates Everton, one bitter twisted red, and told him he better swap seats because he’s got a “true blue American toffee” sitting next to him in the derby!

Mike Gaynes
17 Posted 07/11/2018 at 07:57:00
That's lovely, Tony. Your mate sounds like a classy gent, red or not. Hope to shake his hand at some point. Thanks again, sir.

Paul, I accept the responsibility. But win or lose, I'm gonna have a wonderful day.

Ray Roche
18 Posted 07/11/2018 at 08:07:14
A great gesture by the Abrahams and their Red mates. Enjoy your stay, Mike, I'd have loved to be able to meet you in the Midland and put a face to the name. Great story.
John G Davies
19 Posted 07/11/2018 at 09:48:55
Class act Dave and his son and heir. Top of the shop.

Credit also due to your mate, Tony.

Steve Ferns
20 Posted 07/11/2018 at 10:01:05
Are you only in the Midland until 7:00pm and then going home?

I won't be able to get there until just after 7:00pm myself.

Dave Abrahams
22 Posted 07/11/2018 at 10:03:08
Mike, we'll have a good chat in the Midland about the game.

In the meantime I've got a long blond wig to go with my red dress and my fur top coat, I've got your outfit ready. I'm practicing walking in my high heels, takes some getting used to, but it will be worth it – even Liverpudlians don't hit women.

It will be like that film "Some like it hot" – I bags (claim) the Tony Curtis part, you'll have to be Jack Lemmon!!!! See you soon.

Peter Mills
23 Posted 07/11/2018 at 10:22:51
Steve #21, Mike has got a pretty busy few days, so the 2 hours in the Midland were proposed simply not to overface him. And it's quite a long period over which to eke out his one pint of Guinness.

However, over a lifetime of social gatherings in Liverpool, I have found their duration to have an element of elasticity – I'll make sure we linger a while for you.

Mike Galley
24 Posted 07/11/2018 at 11:30:07
The first time I seen us win at their pit of a ground was the day of Sharpie's thunderbolt. Me and my mates still refer to it as ‘the Graeme Sharp derby'.

Hopefully, this will go down in history as the ‘Mike Gaynes derby'. Don't worry, Mike, we're not expecting to net a winner for us!!!!

Ray Roche
25 Posted 07/11/2018 at 12:23:23
Dave, you've Let slip a glimpse into your Friday nights when you're on your own there, I think. Still, whatever floats yer boat! 😁
Brent Stephens
26 Posted 07/11/2018 at 13:02:10
Dave #22 "I'm practicing walking in my high heels".

You tend to feel it more on the backs of the ankles – I find sticking plaster helps avoid blisters.

"I've got a long blond wig to go with my red dress and my fur top coat".

I always had you down as all fur coat and no knickers.

Brian Harrison
27 Posted 07/11/2018 at 13:20:06
Apologies I have obviously clicked on to the wrong website, This seems to be a site for cross dressers and I was looking for a site called ToffeeWeb its a site were people talk about Everton Football club.

Just to say I have absolutely nothing against cross dressers and I hope you enjoy the night out your planning at the Midland. I would suggest you get in touch with the Midland as I am not sure what reception you may get if some of you turn up dressed as woman.

Jamie Crowley
28 Posted 07/11/2018 at 13:29:55
I was up until midnight watching election coverage here in Florida, thinking to myself how ugly and divisive the next two years could be over here.

And I awake to this story. What a needed breath of fresh air.

Mike Gaynes – have fun and enjoy! If you can, take a lot of pics and do an article so I can live vicariously through you.

To the Abrahams family – well done! You single-handedly restored my faith in humanity over night.

Mike – not to beat a dead horse but I sincerely hope you have the trip of a lifetime.

Amit Vithlani
29 Posted 07/11/2018 at 14:03:58
Enjoy your visit, Mike, and it would be superb to see some pictures from your jaunt to the stinking cesspit that masquerades as a football ground.

Dave – "even Liverpudlians don't hit women". Very true, although certain alumni from the Dark Side have been known to spit on teenage girls.

Tony Abrahams
30 Posted 07/11/2018 at 14:11:54
Jamie, the good red hates Trump, he said a couple of subpoenas will do for now, but he's hoping "the Orangeman" gets impeached!
Mike Gaynes
32 Posted 07/11/2018 at 14:43:55
Steve #20, fear not, I'm sure we'll be at the Midland long past 7. Look forward to meeting you.

Dave #22, how did you know my favorite outfit? Wear it around the house all the time.

Ray, I will be sorry to miss meeting you. We've been chatting here for so long, I know you're a top gent.

Jamie #28, it's already pretty ugly over here – my distant cousins once belonged to that synagogue in Pittsburgh. I followed your governor's race a bit and couldn't believe what was said.

Anyway, be sure I will write an article about this trip! The world needs some happy stuff!

Jamie Crowley
33 Posted 07/11/2018 at 15:15:34
Tony – "The Orangeman" – I about spit my coffee out. Hilarious!

Mike – I had three of my five sons born in Pittsburgh, and we lived blocks away from that synagogue. Terrible.

There would be mutual respect and tolerance. Something unfortunately lacking in today's world.

Now go have fun abroad.

Dave Abrahams
35 Posted 07/11/2018 at 15:42:21
Mike (32), those tickets Tony has managed to get are guaranteed but they are back-up. I am still looking to get you in the Blue end, if possible. You will enjoy the game watching it amongst the Reds, but you will enjoy it a lot more amongst your fellow Blues.

The main thing for you is to enjoy your whole trip but hopefully the derby game will be one of the highlights to enable you to remember for a very long time those 90+ minutes at Anfield.

Rob Halligan
36 Posted 07/11/2018 at 15:49:58
Mike, made up you're fixed up with a ticket. I've lost track of the number of times I've been to that dump, and have hated every single visit, but I'm sure you will enjoy it, even just for the occasion itself.

Can't believe it's only 3 weeks this Friday until the meet up, and really looking forward to meeting you again.

Brent Stephens
37 Posted 07/11/2018 at 15:54:19
Jamie #33 "I've a strong feeling you and I would not see eye-to-eye on politics, but firmly believe our country would do well to see us have a conversation about issues. There would be mutual respect and tolerance. Something unfortunately lacking in today's world".

Jamie, I'm listening to a BBC prog (All in the MInd) and a psychologist on here is summarising evidence that says that if somebody is being insulting to you and maintain civility instead of responding in kind, then the other person tends to become more civil to you in return.

Ray Roche
38 Posted 07/11/2018 at 16:03:01
Mike, yes, very disappointed not to be there, but I have a Big Birthday on the 30th and I shall be out of the country (Germany) having a good time, I hope, on that day.

I'm in Germany this weekend too, Armistice Day included, so I've bought the biggest Poppy I could find and intend to wear it everywhere I go. In fact, if I could have got one off a lamp post, those big 18 inch ones, I'd be wearing that.

Brent Stephens
39 Posted 07/11/2018 at 16:06:44
Following up on my post #37 (evidence that being civil to others makes them become more civil to you), can I suggest when our very own Mike Gaynes sits among the rs supporters at the derby game, he stands up and says loudly something like:

"My fellow football supporters, as a rabid Blue Boy, I realise we have very different allegiances but I appreciate the quality of football your excellent Red Shite... sorry, 'Liverpool' – side play and I'm sure we'll all enjoy today's match regardless of the outcome – may the best team win. And drinks on me at the Midland".

Frank Wade
40 Posted 07/11/2018 at 16:09:01
Mike, delighted you're able to get to the game. Well done Tony and Dave and fair play to Dave, going to such extremes to watch the blues – supporters of the year candidates. Disappointed Dublin is not on the concert tour but maybe next time.

I spotted this article on the Rooney for England affair and thought yourself, Jamie and other US blues would enjoy:

FA’s novelty player clanger insults US and threatens special relationship

Mike Gaynes
41 Posted 07/11/2018 at 16:19:14
Jamie #33, yep, I'm a partisan Blue in both ways, but always open to hanging with the Reds either way. My neighborhood in Oregon is almost as red as Anfield.

Dave, doesn't matter to me, being there with you will be thrill enough.

Ray, my tour goes through Germany. Who knows, we might run into each other there. It's not that big a country. Anyway, Happy Birthday in advance.

Rob, me too, mate. Still have our photo with Dixie on my desktop.

Brent, I'm good with all that except that last part. My tab at the Midlands is only for Evertonians.

Frank, I advocated for a Dublin stop on the tour, but we had already learned to sing in German and Polish. Maybe next time indeed.

Ray Roche
42 Posted 07/11/2018 at 16:26:56
Brent #39.

Are you mad?

Brent Stephens
43 Posted 07/11/2018 at 16:31:02
More civility from you, please, Mr Roche!
Dave Abrahams
44 Posted 07/11/2018 at 16:32:07
Ray (42), madder than a fuckin' hatter. If Mike makes that speech at Anfield, I'll break the world speed record getting out of there.
Ray Roche
45 Posted 07/11/2018 at 16:34:12
Usain Abraham... has a good ring to it.

Sorry Brent, just asking.

Brent Stephens
46 Posted 07/11/2018 at 16:34:46
Spoilsport, Dave. I'll be watching from the other end! In fact if I spot you, I'll point you out.
Brent Stephens
47 Posted 07/11/2018 at 16:35:18
Not at all, Ray. Nice of you to ask, old bean.
Peter Mills
48 Posted 07/11/2018 at 16:39:30
Brent #39, your post reminded me of the Graeme Sharp derby. We managed to get tickets immediately behind their director's box, and my long-time match pal and I were chatting with a very pleasant chap in there before the game. He was of the red persuasion, we did actually shake hands before kick-off.

Early into the game the rs had a one-on-one chance and missed. The gentleman turned round and said “He should have put that one away”. My pal replied “Fuck off”. The memory has had me chuckling to myself this afternoon.

Frank Wade
49 Posted 07/11/2018 at 16:51:59
Laughing at Peter's joust with a red supporter reminds me of a visit to Villa Park back around '95.

I was over on a business trip so had to make do with the Doug Ellis Stand and keeping very quiet. 4 Everton lads beside me were also whispering encouragement beneath their breath until half way through the 2nd half, still 0-0, one could take no more and bellowed "Come on, Blues – these are shite!"

Cue a lot of disturbed Villa fans looking around, me too!! No-one ejected, thankfully.

Brent Stephens
50 Posted 07/11/2018 at 17:19:13
Nice friends you have, Peter!
Will Mabon
51 Posted 07/11/2018 at 18:00:25
Peter – now that's proper support!
Jamie Crowley
52 Posted 07/11/2018 at 20:00:02
Brent @ 37 in the "Peter Mills" way:

Fuck off.

;0)

I say this knowing you've a fantastic sense of humo(u)r.

Cheers bud.

Brent Stephens
53 Posted 07/11/2018 at 20:12:36
Jamie, I'm shocked to the core! Nobody ever gives me such support (except my wife)!

Eddie Dunn
54 Posted 07/11/2018 at 22:54:47
Lovely stuff on this thread. I do hope you get into the Anny Rd End though Mike! Hats off to the Abrahams clan!
David Pearl
55 Posted 07/11/2018 at 23:56:48
Well, Mike, you are one of the stars of ToffeeWeb. Pleased to bits you are coming over and have a ticket for what will be, I predict, the best derby in years. I really think we are improving game by game (I should shut up before I curse us).

All the best!

Mike Gaynes
56 Posted 08/11/2018 at 00:35:19
Much appreciated, David, but the true stars are Dave and Tony and the brilliant Merseysiders who have made this wandering Yank so welcome in the past. This is a remarkable community here.
David Pearl
57 Posted 08/11/2018 at 02:05:45
Mike, The people around Liverpool are like a bag of Revels... but the good ones are the best you'll find. The team has changed a lot over the last couple of years since your last match. Finally an exciting time to follow the blues.

I'm even looking forward to the January sales. I'm thinking we should introduce a Black Friday in football too so we can get rid of our deadwood on the cheap before we start shopping again.

Derek Knox
58 Posted 08/11/2018 at 20:17:30
Mike, I am so glad you have managed to get something sorted for your trip, and kudos to the Abraham clan for swinging it for you.

I assumed, when you mentioned many moons ago, that you were putting in a Guest Appearance, that you had a ticket secured for the match. I must also mention the overwhelming gesture from the two RS fans who let you have their seats on the day, albeit that the seats are behind enemy lines.

It does bode well for the spirit of Liverpool people, even though across the divide, will accommodate the enemy in time of need.

I will see you, and many others hopefully in the Midland at the time you mentioned. It will be good to put faces to ' virtual friends ' that you feel you already know, through the wonderful medium that is ToffeeWeb.

I hope I earn the appropriate Brownie points from Michael and Lyndon, for my TW mention in the last paragraph.

Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
59 Posted 08/11/2018 at 20:25:58
Nice one, Derek!

✔✔

Brownie points duly awarded.

Mike Gaynes
60 Posted 08/11/2018 at 20:33:37
David, the team was pretty damned exciting last time – two wins, seven goals – but you're right, the changes in just 18 months are huge. Most of the players who starred in those two victories are either gone (Rom, Barkley, Mirallas) or buried on the bench (Jags, Davies, Schneiderlin), and the youngsters then considered "promising", like Pennington and Robles, are gone too. And Keane is now ours. Amazing.

Derek, thanks for the reminder. I always seem to forget to thank Lyndon and Michael for maintaining this brilliant board and making my adventures possible. Much appreciated, guys.

Andy Crooks
61 Posted 08/11/2018 at 23:28:41
What time is it at in The Midland?
Mike Gaynes
62 Posted 09/11/2018 at 06:21:01
1964.
Peter Mills
63 Posted 09/11/2018 at 12:15:44
Andy (#61), since Mike (#62) appears to have taken a step into the surreal, I can tell you that we are hoping to get to the Midland for 5:00pm on Friday 30 November.

Official finishing time 7:00pm, but it looks as though there is going to be a stay-behind. Hope to see you there.

John McFarlane Snr
64 Posted 12/11/2018 at 23:07:06
Hi Peter [63], I hope to be present at the Midland Hotel on Friday November 30th, I look forward to seeing you again, and meeting your friend Mike Gaynes.
Peter Mills
65 Posted 13/11/2018 at 19:05:22
John #64, it will be a pleasure to meet you again if you can make it.