Reader Comments (39)

Jeff Armstrong
1 Posted 16/12/2018 at 14:38:45
Is Danny Ings only on loan at The Saints?
Ian Lloyd
2 Posted 16/12/2018 at 15:17:38
Even Southampton can beat a top 6 side... πŸ™„
George Cumiskey
3 Posted 16/12/2018 at 15:58:20
Dan, I'd snap there hand off.
Jim Bennings
4 Posted 16/12/2018 at 17:39:14
Shouldn't Southampton be in transition with a new manager, Ian?

How dare they beat a top 6 side... we can't!!!

Grant Rorrison
5 Posted 16/12/2018 at 17:40:04
Wolves are ahead of us. Have had better results against the top sides than we have and their top scorer has 5 goals. Maybe our 'good performances' this season have just been shit?
Colin Metcalfe
6 Posted 16/12/2018 at 17:42:41
Two deflections, two goals! Those across the park have truly signed a deal with the devil!
Brent Stephens
7 Posted 16/12/2018 at 17:45:15
And United leave a £90m player on the bench. Mourinho bears grudges to his cost.
Jim Bennings
8 Posted 16/12/2018 at 17:57:17
To be fair, Colin, Calvert-Lewin's header was deflected in yesterday so it's no good bemoaning luck; Richarlison benefitted from a lucky bounce to score against Newcastle.

United were awful and in the first half were like a boxer on the ropes waiting to fall, Liverpool should have been out of sight by half-time.

I can't see them losing more than one game this season so, in hindsight, maybe us losing to Man City was for the greater good.

I can't bear the though of those bastards winning the title.

Brian Williams
9 Posted 16/12/2018 at 18:18:41
Man Utd were absolutely awful. Turned up trying not to lose and got what they deserved.

How we managed to lose to them is a mystery!

John Keating
10 Posted 16/12/2018 at 18:22:23
I can't explain why but I just see the nightmare scenario happening this season.

Without doubt, Man City have the best squad and man for man they are superior to everyone.

Our neighbours are getting away with everything so far including injuries.

They are matching City game for game and point for point. City play great football but you can just see them slipping up in the odd game. Those who shall remain nameless just seem to grind out results regardless.

Nightmare. I'm going to midday mass tomorrow and going to light about half-a-dozen candles.

Paul Hewitt
11 Posted 16/12/2018 at 18:25:47
Jim, let's see how many top 6 sides Southampton beat away.
Kunal Desai
12 Posted 16/12/2018 at 18:31:50
At least if you're going to park the bus, then do it properly, Jose. That was pathetic.
Paul Hewitt
13 Posted 16/12/2018 at 18:40:17
Southampton's games away to top 6 teams so far this season:

RS 3 Saints 0,
City 6(six) Saints 1,
Spurs 3 Saints 1.

Rob Halligan
14 Posted 16/12/2018 at 18:42:49
The spawn of the devil is certainly rearing its ugly head for the RS. Two deflected goals which De Gea had covered, and even Atkinson seemed hell bent on helping the RS. He set up one attack for them by getting in the way of a pass by a United player which led to a breakaway for them. However, the shite easily deserved to win, 36 attempts on goal, with 11 on target, to United's 6 attempts.

Apart from our game yesterday, I think we've done okay away to the Sky six. In my opinion we didn't deserve to lose the ones we did. With our final away game to one of the Sky six also being our last game of the season (Spurs away), I'm expecting a big change of fortunes in our other away games.

Joe McMahon
15 Posted 16/12/2018 at 18:50:11
John Keating, prepare yourself, my friend. I ain't any kind of Nostradamus, but I said down the pub (like we all predict at the start of the season), Liverpool will win the title and Burnley will get relegated. Sadly it's still very much on course.
Anthony Murphy
16 Posted 16/12/2018 at 19:12:11
RS will win it this season, folks, I've been saying it all along. Man City will be distracted by Champions League it'll go to the last week of the season. RS have had the luck needed and are just getting into their stride... expect spawny last minute winners galore and media wank-fest in May. They will take unbearable to a new level. I just hope they don't go unbeaten as it'll be fuckin horrible.

Can someone shed light on something that seems to go unnoticed. Is it just luck that they win the toss and shoot towards the Kop second half nearly every game, or is there some other reason? Law of averages would say approx 50-50 over the course of a season, right? What the fuck is going on?

Joe McMahon
17 Posted 16/12/2018 at 19:28:52
Anthony @16, it's just the same when the medias lovefest "European Nights at Anfield" are always the second leg, not to mention they are always at home on Boxing Day. Oumar Niasse retrospective ban etc, as we all know, the list goes on.

One of their media darlings, Phil Thompson, has started dying his hair – he looks like a corpse with a wig on – and how Carragher keeps his job after spitting?

Brian Murray
18 Posted 16/12/2018 at 19:32:15
If City hold their nerve and continue to play the same with fringe players, the nightmare can be put off another year. Well that's what I keep telling myself. Blue moon keep on rising.
Marcus Taylor
19 Posted 16/12/2018 at 19:34:36
Paul #13,

Those results don't count. They were part of the Hughes transition. They are now in the Hasenhuttl transition. That's how it works isn't it? New manager, new transitional period (of unspecified length, during which the manager is immune from criticism and results don't matter).

Mike Galley
20 Posted 16/12/2018 at 19:35:26
I've a horrible feeling that it's all falling into place for them twats. It'll be a media love fest like you've never seen if it happens. Just got to hope and pray that Man City will prevail but I've a bad feeling about this.

Can you imagine what next summer will be like? Hell on earth for us Blues.

Rob Halligan
21 Posted 16/12/2018 at 19:42:53
Mike, you're right. What Man Utd (13 titles), Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, even Leicester City have done during the Premier League era, they will all pale into insignificance compared to what will happen should Liverpool win it.

The BBC and Sky will be creaming themselves like never before. It will be hailed as the greatest Premier League title ever. No doubt the government will declare a national holiday so the whole country can celebrate a fantastic title win.

Tim Smith
22 Posted 16/12/2018 at 19:44:36
It's pretty obvious to me that they'll win it. If City have a weakness, it's their defence and there'll be at least a couple of games where they come undone. Don't be surprised if the RS win there in January.

A mate of mine here in Sheffield is a staunch Wednesdayite and his way of dealing with the local rivalry is to just ignore them. If the Blades are doing well so what?

If we blues continually get wound up by the RS, it's not going to do our health any good. Just accept that they are very good and ignore the luck.

Mike Galley
23 Posted 16/12/2018 at 19:49:34
Rob, you're 100% correct. It was bad enough when they nearly won it a few years ago. I'm hoping that their inborn arrogance will undo them again but, as I say, I've a bad feeling about this.

Anyone got the number for the Samaritans?

John Keating
24 Posted 16/12/2018 at 19:50:08
Tim,

That's all well and good if you live in Oslo or Bournemouth or Kuala Lumpur. If you live in town it's a nightmare!

Even though 99% of the Orcs haven't been to a game in fifty years the stick is horrendous, especially as they are churning out results and we are making fools of ourselves.

I think that before the season started we were quite chirpy but, after the opener at Wolves and the piss poor results compared to those arseholes since then, the shit they're spouting is worse.

Absolute nightmare

Bill Gienapp
25 Posted 16/12/2018 at 20:01:04
Not that it matters but, based on our two matches, I was far more impressed with Man City. We made Liverpool look quite ordinary.

City's quality was undeniable, even with most of their heavy hitters out of the starting XI. It often felt like they had an extra man out there, which is why it was so difficult to dispossess them or maintain possession ourselves.

Brian Murray
26 Posted 16/12/2018 at 20:06:49
Bill, Thanks for them comforting words. I will sleep and enjoy Xmas a lot more now you have spoken. All hail Bill.
Brian Denton
27 Posted 16/12/2018 at 20:07:51
Thanks for that, Bill. I need cheering up, as I am beginning to feel the fear.

Non-Scouse Blues will perhaps wonder what the hell I'm on about.

Mike Galley
28 Posted 16/12/2018 at 20:08:21
I agree, Bill, but I've seen them win too many trophies that they didn't deserve to write off the possibility of them doing this. Hopefully, you're right, though!
Brian Murray
29 Posted 16/12/2018 at 20:18:08
Bill's comments should be copied and put on the dressing room of every Premier League team, especially Man City's. Surely quality will win in the end. Although luck never evens itself out over a season with the Red Shite. Well, not in my 56 years on this planet.
Rob Halligan
30 Posted 16/12/2018 at 20:22:03
Just watching Sports Personality of the Year. Next year's will be a whole programme dedicated to them bastards.

Tim, easier said than done, mate. I'm sure you're a great blue, dedicated to the cause like all of us, but you're about 80 miles away.

We can't just turn off and ignore it. The local papers and radio will be ramming it down our necks. There will be billboards all over the city showing them with the trophy. As Mike says, next summer will be hell. And before anyone says we shouldn't let it affect us, unless you're a hermit or a monk living in a monastery, then it's going to be a nightmare few months.

Fuck, I'm already dreading it. Come on, City, save the country from a nightmare that will be celebrated for years.

Tim Smith
31 Posted 16/12/2018 at 20:46:15
Chaps

Point well made. Here in Sheffield, I am sheltered from the nightmare. Just think, a Premier League and Champions League double!

Mind you, we're not alone. Think of the fans of Espanyol, Torino, Munich 1860, etc.

Dave Abrahams
32 Posted 16/12/2018 at 21:29:24
I understand all your anxiety, but it's the middle of December, and you're worrying what will happen in May already. You'll finish up with ulcers and heart attacks!

Come on, lads leave it for now; let the future take care of itself.

Brian Murray
33 Posted 16/12/2018 at 21:33:25
I know, Dave but we have dodged a bullet for a good while because of Fergie that it brings a real shudder to all Blues, just the thought of it... and breathe.
Paul Curwen
34 Posted 16/12/2018 at 22:06:32
Fear not, fellow blues. Their arses will fall out and next year will be their year... :)
John McFarlane Snr
35 Posted 16/12/2018 at 23:06:53
Hi Dave [32], I can't believe that presumably seasoned match goers haven't rumbled to the fact that anything can happen in a game of football.

The theory that Southampton beating Arsenal, means that Everton, an allegedly better team than Southampton, should also beat the 'Gunners' is flawed; it doesn't work that way. Each match has never been played before and will never be played again; incidents which dictate results, occur in games.

It may have taken a long time for me to arrive at this point of football appreciation, but because I accept what the 'Football Gods' lay before me, I find that I enjoy matches, to a greater degree than I did in my youth.

I can accept that there are some who take a different approach but, apart from outright anarchy, I don't see an answer to their anxieties.

Stan Schofield
36 Posted 16/12/2018 at 23:39:50
I can't quite see why there's such a focus on the possibility of Liverpool winning a trophy. Whether they do or not is irrelevant to us, or rather it becomes relevant only if you let it. Let's just focus on Everton. The only important thing is whether we win games, together with how we play.

I've lived through them winning loads of trophies, and I lived near Anfield. If I'd worried about them, I would have been spending a hell of a lot of time worrying. I've just enjoyed the 8 trophies we've won. That's all there is to it.

Paul Kelly
37 Posted 16/12/2018 at 23:44:19
I'm worried that those fuckers will do it, hoping that a prolonged but unsuccessful run in the Champions League will fatigue them and they derail, drastically so.

Im with Rob about the love in for the RS, especially from the media, they'll go crazy, a new BBC channel will be dedicated to them, new national holiday here and in Norway.

Both my brothers are RS, a lot of family and friends too, I swear it seemed like they were texting and calling before Pickford's brain fart in the derby, they were that quick to rub it in.

Praying they fuck-up sooner rather than later.

Stan Schofield
38 Posted 17/12/2018 at 14:52:25
Paul, I wouldn't worry. I've got red mates, who've taken the piss years ago when they were winning lots of trophies, but they (the ones who've experienced the trophy winning eras) have been relatively very quiet since the Premier League started, possibly because they've never won it, and they've experienced a stark lack of success over that period. Not as bad as us, to be sure, but lack of success nonetheless.

I've said to reds a number of times that, given the finances they've enjoyed, they should have won a lot of trophies over the last couple of decades. Their finances haven't been vastly different from Man Utd's in terms of investment on players, but Utd's trophy haul has been massive, whereas Liverpool have won next to fuckall. Maybe that's why they hate man Utd so much.

Even if they won the Premier League and Champions League this year, I'd just reiterate to reds that it's about time. Given their lack of trophy success compared with the scale of investment, reds are a very frustrated bunch. The media hype about them is no compensation for them, it's simply media hype, including the BBC.

I know we've finally had some investment over the last 5 years, but quite frankly it pales compared to that of the likes of Liverpool. In this sense, our position in the rankings is not a big surprise, and it'll take a lot more investment to get us really competing at the top.

Regarding Liverpool's luck, they've had the 'run of things' to a degree this season, but luck runs out. And regarding their luck overall, they make cock-ups on a big scale (it's not just us making cock-ups in a derby match).

Mark Murphy
39 Posted 17/12/2018 at 15:10:27
I live in deepest West Sussex and the Vets team I play for has recently recruited 5 new players. All of them from down here – every fucking one of them a Red!

They are full of it but got a shock when they tried taking the piss before they knew me properly. Plastic cunts!