Reader Comments (32)

Steve Ferns
1 Posted 18/12/2018 at 10:58:58
If you put Guardiola in charge of Cardiff there’s not a chance he could win the league. Maybe the same with Mourinho as he is, but the vintage Mourinho, the one in his pomp winning the Champions League with Porto, well that Mourinho could win the league with Cardiff. Not likely but not impossible.
Michael Lynch
2 Posted 18/12/2018 at 11:16:53
Man Utd could do worse than giving Big Sam a bell.

Not sure how they could do worse, but I'm sure they could.

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

3 Posted 18/12/2018 at 11:49:45
Man Utd's sacking of Mourinho has implications for us.

They were clearly in total disarray and vulnerable to being overhauled for a top six finish.

Not surprisingly, they have announced they will only appoint a caretaker manager until the end of the season as the quality of manager they will no doubt look to recruit will be contracted for this season and unwilling to jump ship mid-season. But they will have no shortage of interested candidates, that's for sure.

Now removing Mourinho will lift a huge dark cloud over the club and a caretaker may be able to galvanise a talented (but still limited) squad to improve on this season's performances.

Equally, the players, knowing the guy is only temporary, may continue just plodding along.

The media will have a feeding frenzy on this and it could also impact on Spurs whose manager Pochettino is rumoured to be 'of interest' to United.

They are saying now they won't make an appointment until the end of the season, but what if results and performances continue to be dire under the caretaker?

For sure, lots of behind the scene sounding out and contact will be made for their favoured targets. And that may well include Ponchettino.

Steve Ferns
4 Posted 18/12/2018 at 11:59:54
True, Jay, but it could be the currently out of work Zidane and he wouldn’t wait until the end of the season.

I think Pochettino is more likely to go to Real Madrid than Man Utd.

Other than Zidane, I don’t see any other suitable candidates who would go: there’s no-one in Germany they would seriously consider. Same with France. Italy only Max Allegri, as Ancelotti is new to Napoli. Spain there’s only Simeone.

I can’t see past Zidane and there’s no way Man Utd sacked Mourinho without speaking to Zidane. But that comment about caretaker until the end of the season is telling.

Brian Patrick
5 Posted 18/12/2018 at 12:02:39
Mourinho's Achilles heel is that he's a ‘short-term buy success but don't nurture talent' type manager, suits teams with mega bucks but only for the short haul.

Who would want to manage a team with Ashley Young, Pogba and Lukaku?! Fat Sam! Ideal for the slum dwellers... In yer Manchester slums...

Steve Ferns
6 Posted 18/12/2018 at 12:11:19
That’s certainly true since 2004, but don’t forget the oft-overlooked job he did at Porto. He did that without mega bucks.
Brent Stephens
7 Posted 18/12/2018 at 12:22:20
Steve, "But that comment about caretaker until the end of the season is telling".

Possibly managing expectations? In case things go tits up with Zidane?

James Hughes
8 Posted 18/12/2018 at 12:25:55
Steve, I think you're correct about Pochettino; they should appoint Sam. :)
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

9 Posted 18/12/2018 at 12:55:35
I'd forgotten about Zidane, Steve.

He would be a good fit for Ma Utd. Maybe as Brent says, saying they intend appointing a caretaker manager until the end of the season covers their arses if (presumed) negotiations with Zidane don't land their man.

And to be fair to United, down the years, they have always had players in the team that have risen up through their academy, even now. That is possibly part of the disillusionment with Mourinho. He hasn't developed the club's home-grown talent (as he did at Porto), and his big-money signings have not delivered, or are even considered for selection. And the football is awful. A triple whammy.

Pochettino would also be a good fit. And I don't agree continental managers would not be interested in taking the United job.

Say it through grinding teeth, it's Manchester United. One of the biggest jobs in world football. Of course the very best managers would be interested.

Brian Harrison
10 Posted 18/12/2018 at 14:23:43
Steve,

I totally disagree over your remarks about Pochettino, he would make the perfect fit. He has shown at Southampton what a good manager he is, despite all the pundits proclaiming Southampton were mad to sign him after getting rid of Nigel Adkins.

Then he moved to Spurs and in a few short years has them now expecting to be in a Champions League spot, despite having nothing like the money that Man Utd or Chelsea have spent. Just like Ferguson he is bringing through youngsters at Spurs so he is an ideal fit. The rumour was that Real were interested when Zidane left.

I read Guillem Balague's book A Brave New World all about Pochettino, a fascinating book I can well recommend. All about how Pochettino goes about his work on the training ground. Also gives a great insight into how he treats players.

So for me, he's a perfect fit for Man Utd. Everybody was saying after the window closed and Spurs hadn't signed anybody how they would struggle this season. Well, if that's struggling, I hope we can struggle like that next season.

Steve Ferns
11 Posted 18/12/2018 at 14:32:24
Brian, I think he'd be a perfect fit for us, like he has been for Spurs. He'd also be perfect for Arsenal, and even Liverpool if he'd got the job when Klopp got it.

The reason he wouldn't be perfect for Manchester United is that he needs to win a trophy fast (something he hasn't done yet) and that he'd be tasked with attaining success by purchasing players rather than developing them.

Man Utd wouldn't let him slowly claw their way back to the top, they'd want top 4 this season and to be back to at least the next.

Pochettino could do that, but it goes against the best points of his management style and coaching qualities. It's more an Ancelotti type. Ancelotti would be shite for Everton or even Spurs, but give him a boat load of cash like at Chelsea and he'll win. He'd bring success to Man Utd for sure. This is the profile of manager they need right now.

A Pochettino type would have been better replacing Fergie.

Alan J Thompson
12 Posted 19/12/2018 at 05:00:53
The mind boggles at how many Man Utd cast-offs, including a manager, will be available now. Thank heavens our new administration don't go in for that!
Darren Hind
13 Posted 19/12/2018 at 05:29:08
Well, given what Moyes has told us, we know that Manchester United are not averse to "tapping up" managers.

A fantastic opportunity for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. They already love him over there.

Mike Gaynes
14 Posted 19/12/2018 at 06:35:12
Ole will do fine in the caretaker role, but I have a feeling he won't be there long — Zidane to me is the ideal candidate for them, even better than Poch, and they can have him next week if they want him.

Steve, good shout on Allegri but he seems unlikely to me. Jardim much more likely, and could they reach for Blanc even though he's been out of work for more than two years? After all he played there.

Whoever it is, I hope they fail spectacularly. There is little in football I enjoy more than watching Manchester United fall apart as they have this season.

Mike Gaynes
15 Posted 19/12/2018 at 06:37:32
Great read here:

Brian Wilkinson
16 Posted 19/12/2018 at 11:32:15
Steve, you are spot on with Zidane, I told a few of my mates to take the 5/1 available for next permanent manager.

As far as I know Zidane is only available in the Summer and that is the way of thinking of bringing a caretaker manager in.

Pochettino will not leave Spurs with the new ground and squad he has at the moment.

For me Zidane at 5/1 is tasty, looked nailed on for me to get the job in Summer.

James Flynn
17 Posted 19/12/2018 at 14:00:39
Mike (15) - Thanks for the link.

Got a kick out of the "Jose bad" - "Man Utd innocent bystanders" tone, then looked at the writer's byline:

Rob Dawson
Manchester United correspondent

For balance, Paul Ince on United's current state:

Link

Danny Broderick
18 Posted 19/12/2018 at 15:12:42
Has Solskjaer been brought in to replace Mourinho or Lukaku?
Derek Knox
19 Posted 20/12/2018 at 02:19:17
I was not surprised at Mourinho's dismissal, he was chopping and changing and you could see the players weren't fully committed, he has been 'ejecting the dummy' (pacifier across the pond) for a while now!

This may well work in our favour, for getting a Euro place, but only if we start getting a better return of results. Since the derby disappointment (where I thought we played well) we seem to have lost focus, and especially against Newcastle and Watford, we were almost embarrassing.

i don't think Jose will be signing on the dole either, he must be a multi-millionaire by now, with another hefty severance in the pipeline. As Colin Glassar said on another thread, it must be one of the few jobs where you get rewarded for failure!

Peter Gorman
20 Posted 20/12/2018 at 02:49:05
"Man Utd's sacking of Mourinho has implications for us."

That bit from Jay pretty much sums up my only interest in Man Utd.

Well, that and the obvious schadenfreude at a club whose fans and ex-players have regularly told us to eat shit and to know our place with the likes of Moyes and Allardyce.

Fran Mitchell
21 Posted 20/12/2018 at 03:39:38
If Man Utd had any sense, they'd go for someone like Lucien Favre, or even ToffeeWeb favorite Tuchel. And of course, Pochettino is a great manager.

I hope they go for Zidane, or Blanc, or someone like that.

Mike Gaynes
22 Posted 20/12/2018 at 03:54:55
Fran, I think Tuchel is ecstatic at PSG.

He was reported to have smiled recently. For an instant.

Never happened before.

Tony Abrahams
24 Posted 20/12/2018 at 06:48:13
Get your money on the modern day Mouriniho, get yer money on Simione?
Tommy Surgenor
25 Posted 20/12/2018 at 13:10:26
A lot of pressure on Pogba now. He has all the potential in the world but, at his age, he shouldn't be discussed as 'potential'. He should be dominating week in week out.

His antics around Jose's dismissal only heaps pressure on him. If he doesn't perform under the next manager then who will take him?
He is poison! Who would want that around their club? My bet is Mourinho will bounce back quicker than Pogba.

Also, I think Man Utd fans are kidding themselves if they think they can get Potch. He is more likely to be in the Champions League next year than Man Utd. Also... as things stand, he is a cert for the Madrid job whenever he decides he wants it. It should be available this summer again.

Why leave and start a rebuilding job at the mess that is Man Utd? I think we are in a better position to build than they are! I seriously think we are about to overtake them in a window or two.

David Graves
26 Posted 21/12/2018 at 10:50:53
Tommy - Pochetino is the man they want and they believe they will get him regardless of how difficult Levy makes it for them.

Supposedly, Pochetino wants the job and, to be honest, I don't see why he wouldn't.

Rob Halligan
27 Posted 21/12/2018 at 13:02:33
If Pochettino is the man Man Utd have identified as being their new manager, then doesn't this constitute "Tapping Up"?

I now expect Spurs to lodge a full complaint with the FA as their form plummets and they lose 10 games in a row, starting on Sunday, as Pochettino has his head turned by the thought of managing Man Utd and loses all interest in finishing the job at Spurs.

Will it happen? Of course it fecking won't.

Richard Reeves
28 Posted 21/12/2018 at 15:37:17
This is normally the time Moyes pops up with his defence of the sacked manager, pointing out the bloody obvious about not enough time being given to managers and in the process trying to crowbar himself (a serial loser) into the same club as a proven winner.
Kieran Kinsella
29 Posted 21/12/2018 at 16:22:23
Richard Reeves 28,

I wouldn't call Moyes a serial loser but I would say his time has gone. Football is cyclical. In the mid 80s to early 90s, ultra-defensive 1-0 to the Arsenal was all the rage.

Into the mid 90s Man Utd and Barcelona took a different approach with the all out attack model that boring defensive teams couldn't handle, and was more fun for players and fans.

Come 2004-05 Mourinho, Moyes, Sam types re-emerged with a version of dull pragmatic football. The all-out-attack Keegan types couldn't figure out how to combat it so for almost a decade that style became pervasive.

Finally, the last 5 or 6 years, the Guardiola's, Joachim Lows, etc relaunched the overtly attacking style and the Moyes, Mourinho types struggled to counter it.

Probably five years from now, someone will come up with a new variant of defensive football that kills off the current attacking teams. But in the interim, Mourinho and Moyes find themselves in the same boat as the Graham Taylor's and George Grahams of the early 90s.

Jamie Crowley
30 Posted 21/12/2018 at 23:44:31
I heard on the radio today a thought, one I think was very interesting.

Had USA Soccer waited a mere 4 weeks, after almost what, 13 to 14 months appointing a manager? And they were willing to break the bank?

They possibly could have nabbed Jose for the USMNT job.

Personally, as a human being who would give arms, legs, and possibly two ears for a World Cup final for my country, I'd have been ecstatic.

I don't like Mourinho. But he'd of organized our rabble-rouser, multi-national players into a cohesive, boring, tough-to-beat side. And he'd have not only got us qualified, he'd have gotten us to the KO stages, I'd bet the house, wife, and kids on that. A bunch of boring 1-0 wins in the 89th minute would suit me just fine, thank you very much.

I want to win again. We got Craig-fucking-Berkhalter. The next up-and-coming USA coach who's brother is the CFO of USA Soccer.

But of course, it's not a corrupt, old-boy network! He got the job on merit! Has nothing to do with his brother being a big-wig inside the machine.

Shoot me.

Mike Gaynes
31 Posted 22/12/2018 at 01:03:09
Never woulda happened with Mou, Jamie. Hell, if the USMNT had that kind of budget, they could have gone for Zidane. And Jose would look down his nose at us no matter how much money we threw at him.

Re Berhalter, his brother's job shouldn't be a disqualifier either. Actually if Berhhalter DID get the job on connections, it was his close friendship with new USA GM Earnie Stewart and his extensive Dutch footy background. Berhalter has a Dutch managerial philosophy. He's also been the best manager in MLS for the last four years, which granted isn't saying much, but he obviously compared well with the other candidates: Pareja, Vermes, Martino, Marsch and Vanney.

I would have been delighted with Zidane. Or Queiroz.

Jamie Crowley
32 Posted 22/12/2018 at 03:43:22
Mike I agree with your "never woulda happened" with Mourinho. I agree. But Lord what an intriguing "what if".

Yes, Ernie Stewart's relationship with Msgr. Berkhalter (or is it Berhhalter?) is far more damning than even the brother!

And doesn't that say so, so much regarding US Soccer?

Ugh, Ugggghhh, Ugggggghhhhh.

And we haven't even scratched the surface of Stewart's actual appointment / hire.

My son recently was accepted into the University of Alabama. It's the south. It's a good 'ol boy, Greek-life breeding ground network, that school. And he's probably going to go there. Do what you must and all that.

They've NOTHING on US Soccer. Nepotism with a massive bank roll, that's our national US Soccer for ya.

Cheers Mike. Let's beat Spurs. ;0)

George Stuart
33 Posted 27/12/2018 at 10:58:43
I read an article somewhere last year where it said Guardiola had introduced a new style of football to the Premier League, would the others be able to cope, yader yader.

Yup, new tactic: spend £400,000,000 on a squad and play good football. Innovative.