Everton set a dreadful precedent for the last of the festive season fixture congestion with their 10th New Year's Day loss in the Premier League on Tuesday.

Other results have somewhat fortunately gone their way, the Blues dropping to 11th in the mid-table group that is dropping further and further behind the top six, thanks on part to Manchester United's incredible 4-game winning resurgence under new manager Ole Gunner Sojskear.

And the last game of Week 21 sees Man City take on leaders Liverpool in a game being hyped as the potential Premier League decider.

Reader Comments (71)

John Atkins
1 Posted 03/01/2019 at 20:42:48
I’ve just jumped up as if we’ve just scored!!!
Michael Kenrick
2 Posted 03/01/2019 at 20:55:07
That was an absolutely brilliant finish from Aguero.
Brent Stephens
3 Posted 03/01/2019 at 20:56:59
Cracking game. The skill at speed. The stamina. How sad the ball wasn't over the line for the RS. Great goal for City. Laporte supporting down the left is brave given Salah's ability.
Ian Bennett
4 Posted 03/01/2019 at 21:05:22
Shit goalkeeping MK. Aguerro had one place to hit and Alisson failed.
Michael Kenrick
5 Posted 03/01/2019 at 21:22:52
City defending like Everton now!
Jim Bennings
6 Posted 03/01/2019 at 21:27:23
City fail to win this tonight you might aswell hand the title to that lot .

There’s no way they are losing more than two games and then we need City or Spurs (who are too prone to silly defeats) not to fuck up again all season.

Brent Stephens
7 Posted 03/01/2019 at 21:29:35
Sweet!
John Atkins
8 Posted 03/01/2019 at 21:30:46
Jim Bennings
9 Posted 03/01/2019 at 21:31:39
City need to switch on and see this out, must win game!
Jamie Crowley
10 Posted 03/01/2019 at 21:37:37
Hang on City great game to watch to be honest. Really good.
Jamie Crowley
11 Posted 03/01/2019 at 21:41:44
Allison... jeez. What a save. The ice goal there missed. Grrrrr
Jamie Crowley
12 Posted 03/01/2019 at 21:43:45
Fucking John Stones is a hero. TWO clearances off the line. Silly good.
Joe McMahon
13 Posted 03/01/2019 at 21:44:13
I can't see City's Everton defending hanging on.
Michael Kenrick
14 Posted 03/01/2019 at 21:44:42
5 mins... who's gonna predict how this finishes???
Michael Kenrick
15 Posted 03/01/2019 at 21:48:40
Can you ever see Silva having a paddy like Pep there? Very upset. Doesn't like cashmere scarves, I reckon.
Michael Kenrick
16 Posted 03/01/2019 at 21:49:10
Sterling... you dope!
Brent Stephens
17 Posted 03/01/2019 at 21:53:46
There is a god.
Brent Stephens
18 Posted 03/01/2019 at 21:54:44
Brilliant to watch. Brilliant.
Jim Bennings
19 Posted 03/01/2019 at 21:55:43
Two great sides, let's be honest, and until May there's going to be no separating these two.

What's strikes you about them is the pace and athleticism of them and they never seem to tire.

John Atkins
20 Posted 03/01/2019 at 21:55:46
That'll do for me... gobshites.
Michael Kenrick
21 Posted 03/01/2019 at 21:55:58
Phew... thank fuck for that!
Danny Baily
22 Posted 03/01/2019 at 21:56:42
What. A. Relief.
Dave Ganley
23 Posted 03/01/2019 at 21:58:27
Thank God they've lost at last .already sick of hearing about going unbeaten for the season
Jamie Crowley
24 Posted 03/01/2019 at 22:00:02
Fantastic game of football. Fantastic.

Seeing Mikel Arteta on the bench next to Pep, and seeing him next to Wenger at Arsenal, I think he's my man for next Everton manager.

Now, to be clear, I hope Silva is manager for the next 20 years. But if things go south in the next couple of years, I'd say he's a great shout to give him his first chance at the big time with Everton.

Thank you God!

Rob Halligan
25 Posted 03/01/2019 at 22:01:28
The Christmas deccies are coming down, and so are the RS off the top of the table.
Darren Hind
26 Posted 03/01/2019 at 22:02:02
John Stones must have completed 50 passes alone tonight. Amazing how often he takes pressure off team mates.

Kunal Desai
27 Posted 03/01/2019 at 22:03:25
Thats the biggest cheer over the xmas period.
Hope it derails the fuck out of those c**ts like they did to us.
Jamie Crowley
28 Posted 03/01/2019 at 22:03:39
Darren -

Stones was fantastic. There's not enough positive adjectives to describe his performance in my opinion.

Nice to see him do well, for me at any rate.

Darren Hind
29 Posted 03/01/2019 at 22:08:58
Not enough Kunai.

We have an obligation to deny them three points too. They had their limitations exposed tonight. I thought I was watching Bolton as they pumped all those aimless balls in the box hoping something would break for them ……'kin gobshites

Jamie Crowley
30 Posted 03/01/2019 at 22:09:48
Klopp bitching that Kompany deserved a red.

Do they ever stop making excuses or whining? It's just never-ending and annoying as fuck. Never their fault.

Blows my mind. Why bring that up? Just stick with the "great game of football, fine margins" sound bites man!

Anthony Murphy
31 Posted 03/01/2019 at 22:11:36
Hope they have a bad spell now, but can’t see many teams beating Liverpool this season after watching that.. Hope however we do a number on them at Goodison
Jamie Crowley
32 Posted 03/01/2019 at 22:13:59
1.2 centimeters on Stones' clearance.

1.2 centimeters. That's insane.

Kunal Desai
33 Posted 03/01/2019 at 22:16:38
@29 Darren. I did wonder if John Fashanu and the crazy gang were back 😅
Tony Abrahams
34 Posted 03/01/2019 at 22:19:36
Great game of football, but I think I’m getting ready to finish with the game if I’m being totally honest. Commentator is actually asking Kompany, was he worried that he was gonna get a red for that challenge?

Fuck me, I'm biased, I fucking hate Liverpool, but that was a fantastic last ditch tackle, never even warranted a yellow, unless players are not supposed to tackle anymore, even if their opponent is going to get a free run on goal.

I know goal scorers hold all the sway, but I also knew I was going to miss watching John Stones, a lot more than Lukaku, even though he nearly got Kompany, sent off!!

Rob Halligan
35 Posted 03/01/2019 at 22:20:53
John stones had a great game, but jeez they don't half take some chances at the back, the way they keep passing the ball across their area. Having the players to do it obviously helps.
Tony Abrahams
36 Posted 03/01/2019 at 22:26:13
Not probably Rob, definitely, but football is all about staying calm and keeping your composure, when you have the ball, and Stones is in his element, when he’s got the ball at his feet, because he makes playing football, look easy.
John Pierce
37 Posted 03/01/2019 at 22:27:32
JaC, was a red in my view, off the ground two feet blah, but that makes it even sweeter.

Swear John Stones tried a step over before he cleared that ball of the line .

Jamie Crowley
38 Posted 03/01/2019 at 22:31:57
Sir John -

That was Ant-knee who spoke about the tackle @34.

But I do agree with him. I didn't think it warranted a card at all. He clearly plays the ball, was at full stretch, and came up with it.

Reminded me a lot of the Jags tackle early this season, which I also thought was brilliant and didn't warrant a card at all. But that game wasn't one where the ref would be scared shitless of sending someone off!

EDIT - referring to my post @ 30.... see that now.

Tom Bowers
39 Posted 03/01/2019 at 22:32:16
Thank God VAR is coming in next season. So many things being missed and some of them blatant. I know refs. are only human but some of them and some line judges are woeful.
Martin Nicholls
40 Posted 03/01/2019 at 22:32:33
Belated Christmas present at last!
Darren Hind
41 Posted 03/01/2019 at 22:39:36
Poor tackle from Kompany. A golden opportunity to give the diving little bastard something to whine about.
That he was able to continue the game is a black mark against big Vincent.

He should have hurt him - badly . . I'm sure I read that in the rules somewhere

Rob Halligan
42 Posted 03/01/2019 at 22:44:14
Did Kompany actually make contact with Salah, Darren? It looks to me like Salah jumped over challenge and went down, making far more of it than it actually was. Was probably a dangerous challenge, with studs showing, but I don't think there was contact with Salah.
Dave Abrahams
43 Posted 03/01/2019 at 22:45:14
Just seen thar tackle on the news, only saw it once,
honestly thought it was a great tackle, if you were watching it live they must have shown it multiple times,
so you might have a different opinion to mine.
Jamie Crowley
44 Posted 03/01/2019 at 22:45:20
He should have hurt him - badly . . I'm sure I read that in the rules somewhere

Hahaha. Dear God. . that's certifiably over the top. Expect a righteous, "you should never cheer for an injury" comment Darren!

I thought it was a great challenge. He wasn't late. I've looked at it again and I don't think he's late. His leg did come up. But what's he supposed to do? Ask if Mo minds if he comes in gently after Stones hangs him out to dry? (John's only mistake of the evening and a lucky boy to be honest getting out of that unscathed).

We need to aspire to play football just like we saw. I know it's belaboring the point, but that was truly a magnificent game.

John Pierce
45 Posted 03/01/2019 at 22:46:03
Darren - sure big Yerry will get sent off Saturday for the same thing just after Lincoln slot their third.
Tony Abrahams
46 Posted 03/01/2019 at 22:50:14
That’s the problem for me John P, that some people will think it’s a red card.

Football is about being brave, and Salah, could have flicked the ball over Kompany imo, especially because if he does he’s through on goal.

I don’t even think Salah, got touched, probably because he had one eye on the defender, and wasn’t prepared to maybe sacrifice getting hurt, to gain his team a real advantage?

That’s my take on it, but some people will obviously have a completely opposite view, but it’s top level football, so surely players should be allowed to be very competitive?

Tom Bowers
47 Posted 03/01/2019 at 23:00:55
If that tackle goes to VAR then he's off. If that goal clearance goes to VAR it's a goal. Unfortunately referees don't have that help yet and there will be many disputes between now and the end of the season.
Stan Schofield
48 Posted 03/01/2019 at 23:01:49
To me it was a good tackle. But even if it wasn't, it must be impossible for officials given the diving that goes on all the time. Salah always looks like he's testing Newton's law of gravity, and Klopp always throws a tantrum when things don't go his way.

Anyway, fucking good result.

John Pierce
49 Posted 03/01/2019 at 23:10:59
Tony, I understand the viewpoint, I would have echoed that sentiment even a couple of years ago. In fact I’d probably been apoplectic!!

But it’s also important to realise football is moving on and that type of tackle needs to be removed form the game.

The guidelines for officials clearly outline that players should be protected. The ‘brand and money’ simply won’t tolerate a star players being maimed a la NFL quarterbacks.

Both feet off the ground, that immediately means he has zero control over his body whatever he makes contact with is with his full body weight. His studs are up too. Why does he have to pole axe the guy to earn a red card?
It’s excessive force, endangering a player.

VAR will undoubtedly clean a tackle like this up. Not so much in game but players will wise up to the fact that they cannot make that sort of tackle. It will rightly or wrongly fade from the game in the same way the scythe from behind was outlawed.

He certainly clipped him and was fortunate it wasn’t worse. Kompany himself said in interview he was going to be clean through and that made his mind up.

I’ve no love for the diving pharaoh but red would not have been unjust.

Tony Abrahams
50 Posted 04/01/2019 at 09:07:45
It’s all about opinions John, but can you imagine the up-roar if Salah, would have went for the ball in the same manner, and put both Stones and the ball into the net, during the first half?

It never happened, but would those same people sitting in the studio, have had a different view if it did?

I understand what you say JP, we should be protecting players, but Salah, could see everything, and he just wasn’t brave enough, is my own take on that incident.

Jeff Armstrong
51 Posted 04/01/2019 at 09:28:22
Tom #46, Why does that clearance become a goal with VAR?
We have goal line tech and it clearly showed it was
12mm on the line,so even with VAR it’s still not a goal.
Jeff Armstrong
52 Posted 04/01/2019 at 09:29:41
Sorry Tony, meant #47
Stan Schofield
53 Posted 04/01/2019 at 10:32:26
Regardless of this particular match, given the ridicolous range of decisions that have gone against us this season which might have severely affected our points tally and had a bad effect on our recent form, I would hope that VAR would produce a fairer system, but there's no guarantee of it doing so.
Dave Ganley
54 Posted 04/01/2019 at 12:57:29
The media love in with the RS knows no bounds .in the Times today Henry Winter suggests every football supporter should celebrate a Liverpool title triumph for fucks sake what planet are these idiots on. It's one thing to show complete and utter bias towards one team, it's quite another to suggest we should all welcome it. The only saving grace is that statements like this only serves to increase other clubs supporters to despise the RS.
Rob Halligan
55 Posted 04/01/2019 at 13:28:15
Seriously, you couldn't make this up

RS start a petition to review goal line technology. Do they seriously think that that NO GOAL COS THE WHOLE BALL DIDN'T CROSS THE LINE will be overturned and awarded to them

Joe McMahon
56 Posted 04/01/2019 at 13:33:54
Rob@55, they didn't ask for it in the CL semi final with the ghost goal v Chelsea in 2005, Istanbul year did they!
Michael Lynch
57 Posted 04/01/2019 at 14:09:23
Dave @54 I can only assume that Henry Winter is taking the piss in that article to try to get a reaction. It's a hilarious piece if it is tongue-in-cheek. If he's actually serious, he needs help.

Brian Harrison
58 Posted 04/01/2019 at 14:34:08
Dave 54 & Rob 55

Guys you are absolutely right as Dave said the media is full of journalists who openly admit they support the other lot, and they don't even try to hide it. I wonder if any have commented about Klopp before the game standing 15 yards away from the City team as they warmed up. I have never seen a Premier league manager do that, I bet if Guardiola had done it they would have had a lot to say. Rob it doesnt surprise me that some of them are starting a petition to question goal line technology, I mean they have had years of getting decisions go their way. To quote one of their own I will love it if City beat them to the title.

Brent Stephens
59 Posted 04/01/2019 at 15:13:17
Rob, the goal lines are too wide. The ball is too big. The goal line is too straight.
Rob Halligan
60 Posted 04/01/2019 at 15:30:10
Surely this is a piss take

A RS tweeted that the shadow of the ball was all over the line. Dam the positioning of those floodlights.

Dave Ganley
61 Posted 04/01/2019 at 16:10:16
Michael #57 have to admit I never considered that it might be tongue in cheek, however I'd be amazed if Henry Winter would do a satirical editorial given what we know of the media's love in with the RS. More likely that he needs help!
Just read that piece Rob, all in can say is Oh dear!
However, it is very entertaining the fall out to a RS loss especially as they feel so aggrieved with decisions .bit of karma payback.
Stan Schofield
62 Posted 04/01/2019 at 16:45:01
It's best to ignore most of the media, because they deal largely in pumping out shite, particularly when it comes to Liverpool FC. The latter have won fuckall for donkey's years, and even if they win something this year it'd be about time given the massive investment they've had.

I'm afraid Klopp is just a poor loser and an ungracious winner, much in their tradition of gamesmanship and general unpleasantness which is enough to put you off football.

Brian Harrison
63 Posted 04/01/2019 at 17:12:32
Apparently some reds fans claimed that they had coins thrown at them from the City supporters, and despite making complaints to stewards they complain no action was taken. One of the supporters reported this to the Echo and he said " I cant believe that some fans can get that angry that they throw coins at opposing supporters.

Now there is absolutely no excuse if this happened, and indeed the Manchester Police said they are investigating these reports. Which is a lot more than the Merseyside Police did about bottles and flares being thrown at the City coach when outside Anfield. Despite Police being only feet away from the perpetrators no arrests were made. Pity Winter and Holt and Dunne didn't write any pieces saying how despicable this behavior was, and no suggestion of playing any games behind close doors. And UEFA handed out a measly fine, yet these same journalists were up in arms about the Boca Juniors coach coming in for the same treatment when they visited their rivals River Plate. FIFA wanted the game to be played but Boca rightly refused, the game was finally played in Spain. So how come exactly the same incident and maybe the Boca coach didnt have toughened glass hence why their players got injured in the attack. Were probably Citys coach did have toughened glass that saved any injuries.

Brent Stephens
64 Posted 04/01/2019 at 17:33:03
Brian, I think the rs fans complained about the coins being thrown because the exchange rate for the pound is poor at the moment.

Pound?! Who throws a pound? The Old Trafford prawn brigade maybe.

Jay Harris
65 Posted 04/01/2019 at 18:22:45
Surprised nobody has mentioned the nailed on penalty when Sterling was dragged to the ground.

If I was Pep I would be going on about this instead of Kompany's tackle.

The bias towards the RS knows no bounds.

Anthony Murphy
66 Posted 04/01/2019 at 18:30:26
Remember the mobile lashed at Rooney, or the CS gas sprayed in the faces of Man U fans as they stood outside the players entrance at our old ground? Even throwing human shit isn’t beyond them (see below) yet for some unknown reason the media treat them very differently than they do others.

Steve Ferns
67 Posted 16/01/2019 at 21:53:58
Anthony, do you not think that the media think they owe Liverpool fans after the condemnation after Hillsbrough? It might have been one paper that printed the vile lies, but the others stuck the boot in as well. Maybe they feel they can't criticise them?
Brian Williams
68 Posted 16/01/2019 at 22:23:21
Nice to see our opponents at the weekend have been taken to penalties this evening.

Tired legs I hope come Saturday!

Tom Bowers
69 Posted 16/01/2019 at 22:28:57
Southampton out of the cup on pens.
Steve Ferns
70 Posted 16/01/2019 at 22:35:40
Did anyone see the Bielsa press conference? That man is pure entertainment. How wrong was I to write him off after his failures in France?

This is the guy that other managers listen to, to learn about football. And despite being a genius, there's no level he won't stoop to, in order to win!

Anthony Murphy
71 Posted 16/01/2019 at 23:04:33
Steve, yes get that. It's something that's intrigued me for years as a Blue. Feel as though it can't be discussed objectively as it's emotive and makes me (us) look petty at times, but it's more important than we would credit although no one in the media would ever recognise it, so we just need to suck it up!