Reader Comments (38)

Derek Thomas
1 Posted 09/02/2019 at 22:29:35
Good to hear, his pregame pieces annoy some, but I love them.

Get back on the keyboard, George.

Brian Hennessy
2 Posted 09/02/2019 at 22:34:56
Great news that George is on the mend amidst the dross being served up on the pitch.

Looking forward to his next pre-match posts

Bill Watson
3 Posted 09/02/2019 at 23:07:43
Glad to hear George is on the mend and looking forward to him, soon, resuming his posts.

Get well soon, George.

Dave Williams
4 Posted 10/02/2019 at 00:22:02
I never quite understand but I love George's posts. Clearly as true a blue as they come and a good man too. Go George!
Dave Brierley
5 Posted 10/02/2019 at 00:41:44
Hey George, good to hear you're on the mend although sadly our team will do little at the moment to speed your recovery.

Hope all goes well and I look forward to feeling your cosmic vibes in the near future.

Alan J Thompson
6 Posted 10/02/2019 at 06:05:25
Best of luck, George. It's 12 years next month since I was told I might have only 6 months left. Is there a secret? I don't know but always have confidence in pulling through and never be afraid of losing your temper. When I got what is laughingly known as the "all clear" I couldn't stop laughing for at least half an hour.
Laurie Hartley
7 Posted 10/02/2019 at 06:32:43
I am looking forward to your next post, George – I am guessing it will be very cosmic.
Peter Mills
8 Posted 10/02/2019 at 10:31:03
All the best George, sending cosmic grooves.
Darren Hind
9 Posted 10/02/2019 at 10:51:16
At last some very good news.

Looking forward to your next post, George.

Best wishes and of course the obligatory firm hand shake.

George Mc Kane
10 Posted 10/02/2019 at 10:52:12
Thank you friends for your good wishes.
On Wednesday last I was at Clatterbridge for (hopefully) my last Treatment - - I went with my daughters and then straight onto the game at Goodison - - we have that - - the desire to be part of Everton and nothing - - nothing - - is going to stop us - - that's us Evertonians.

When we were in a mess in the early days of Kendall I wrote to him and gave him so "posso waves" - - he invited me to Bellefield and asked me to "meet" the players - - clever man Kendall - - would never happen now - - this Club needs to "talk and listen" to the fans - - not The Fans forum.

On Wednesday I wrote a piece of prose - - printed and handed it to "the men" at Clatterbridge - - copied below:

"The men sit and wait
Partners and friends alongside
Tired and quiet.
Silence hangs in the air
Nods and half winks acknowledging each other’s fate.

We stand one by one
Clutching our plastic fountain in clenched fist
Walk slowly into the cubicle
We smile secretly and knowingly
Aware of what is about to happen.
It is unmentioned.

Back to our seats
Ready to drink the three cups of everlasting water from plastic cups
As if from The Grail Chalice.

Our name is called.
We step through the radioactive barrier with a slight nod
Minutes on a marble table
Raised to the machine
The green beam
Cleanses our body
And
We are ready to go home.

Until tomorrow."

George Mc Kane.

Cosmic grooves all the way from my mended heart.

Darren Hind
11 Posted 10/02/2019 at 10:59:12
Bloody 'ell, George, that was quick!

Here's me hoping you'll post soon and you're in the middle of typing one... and what a gem it was.

Beautiful and moving.

Seamus McCrudden
12 Posted 10/02/2019 at 11:19:01
George, very reminiscent of Owen & Sassoon poetry. Very apt, best wishes in your recovery.
Ian Hollingworth
13 Posted 10/02/2019 at 15:30:59
Great to hear this good news.

Welcome back, George, and may your health continue to improve.

David Midgley
14 Posted 10/02/2019 at 18:22:15
George, the Blue isn't as Blue without you.
Tony Abrahams
15 Posted 10/02/2019 at 18:45:18
Glad I met you in the summer George, and I hope you are now fully on the mend.

I remember the tale you told about Kendall, who told you it was no point in just giving the players loads because they would just stop listening, and I think you possibly learned a great lesson in life that day?

I feel the same now, I think we have got to give Silva time, but once the masses start screaming, then only a real belief in the the manager, is going to keep him in his job, so who knows what’s going to happen next?

Anyway the treatment hasn’t affected your brain George, because that was a fantastic poem, especially because your personality shines right through it mate..!

Good luck is all you need George, whilst Silva, needs a few with your spirit, if things are going to get better for him... so I’ll pray for you both tonight.

Dave Abrahams
16 Posted 10/02/2019 at 19:38:49
I put a little piece on another thread George which I hope you read: on this one I wish you all the best and hope your cosmic grooves get right into our team and we start picking up just like yourself. God bless George.
George Mc Kane
17 Posted 10/02/2019 at 20:06:57
Thank you all for the lovely sentiments and good wishes.

Like Mc Murphy - - - "I am a goddam wonder of modern science."

Jay Harris
18 Posted 10/02/2019 at 20:21:40
George,
Great news that you are on the road to recovery.

Your lyrics have been sorely missed at a time when ToffeeWebbers all needed their spirits lifted and you certainly do that.

I hope you now send some cosmic grooves to the corridors of power and dressing rooms at GP.

Best wishes for a full recovery.

John McFarlane Snr
19 Posted 10/02/2019 at 21:33:55
Hi again George, like Dave Abrahams I also posted on another thread, it's great to learn that you are on the mend, and a get-together at the Midland Hotel is still an option.
Tony Abrahams
20 Posted 10/02/2019 at 22:14:24
And maybe Mancini can become our new chief!
John Keating
21 Posted 10/02/2019 at 22:31:06
Well done George great news you're on the mend.
God looks after Cardinal Godfrey lads!

One plus of missing recent games is that you've saved a few bob on your 4-0 bets!!!

Stan Schofield
22 Posted 10/02/2019 at 22:40:52
George, glad you're back. I've never communicated with you before, but have always enjoyed your posts, which for me have been things to absorb and reflect on rather than respond to.

All the best for a continuing and speedy recovery. Let's hope our team and manager can recover as well.

Peter Laing
23 Posted 10/02/2019 at 22:42:50
All the best George, I picked up your tweet on twitter with the photo of you ringing the bell at Clatterbridge. Wishing you good health and happiness – a blue rally to the season would lift all our spirits!
David Edwards
24 Posted 10/02/2019 at 22:46:31
Great news, George!

Looking forward to your next posts! Always interesting!
Eddie Dunn
25 Posted 10/02/2019 at 23:17:24
George, I have also posted elsewhere but I am looking forward to your next home game and l await the musical references, the beautiful lyrics and the positive vibes. Good for you, you are a true blue and an inspiration. Keep on keeping on.
Chris Hockenhull
26 Posted 10/02/2019 at 23:32:15
Love your contributions though we've never met. Keep well... stay "Forever Young"... and always remain (though I know you will) "Tangled Up In Blue"!
Oliver Molloy
27 Posted 10/02/2019 at 23:32:18
Great news! Very best wishes to you, George.
Paul Columb
28 Posted 10/02/2019 at 23:35:25
George. Mend well. I’ve missed your pre match stream of consciousness to the tune of Van the Man, the palpable sense of anticipation and the pre match sacred ritual.

To be honest, it’s the only thing I can think of which elicits envy in me too far on this side of the foam where there’s a will there’s not always a way one game every 2 years a ritual does not make.

How much you appreciate life and its blue meaning is very much evident in your musings. Please keep them coming and many a season to you.

Tom Hughes
29 Posted 10/02/2019 at 23:44:24
All the best, George. Keep it going, mate.
Dennis Stevens
30 Posted 11/02/2019 at 02:27:30
Feel the blue love, George - Keep on keeping on!
Dave Ganley
31 Posted 11/02/2019 at 21:50:19
Very glad to see you appear to be on the mend, George.
Phil Parker
32 Posted 13/02/2019 at 14:27:39
Get well soon George, we have lost the Blobber, don't want to even think of losing you. Take care mate.
Steve Ferns
34 Posted 13/02/2019 at 14:46:48
Nice one, George. Hope to see you back on Granada Reports talking the Blues soon (hopefully about our success or the ground move rather than having sacked another manager). I wish you the very best of health.
Mike Gaynes
35 Posted 15/02/2019 at 07:54:04
George, just saw this thread and wanted to add my voice to the chorus of congratulations and best wishes. The cool thing about radiotherapy is that you will glow in the dark for the rest of your life. Never have to turn on the light for your late night trips to the loo.

And Alan J #6, amen. It's been three years to the day for me. The romantics amongst us will opine that the most beautiful word in the English language is love, or trust, or faith, or dream... but you and I know it's "remission".

Jamie Crowley
36 Posted 15/02/2019 at 21:39:00
I just saw this as well! Must be some American thing, right Mike??

Cosmic vibes George, cosmic vibes.

Be well. Recover. Pen a mystic Blue-vibe post soon. They're gold.

I read somewhere, I believe, that you write your thoughts without the assistance of any mind-altering substance. I would have sworn it was mushrooms. ;0)

You've a beautiful mind George. Take care of it and yourself.

Tony Everan
37 Posted 16/02/2019 at 10:29:18
All the very best, George, here is a bunch of blue cosmic vibrational wave thingies sent directly to you.

Best wishes for a full recovery.

Alan J Thompson
38 Posted 16/02/2019 at 14:39:33
Mike (#35);

The last two sentences of your first paragraph made me smile as owing to the radiotherapy etc I've lost some use of my right arm and have no saliva glands. If I drink before bed I have to get up at some time through the night for the 'loo and if I don't I have to get up for a drink. I sometimes think this causes somebody else somewhere to have a little smile as well.

John G Davies
39 Posted 17/02/2019 at 01:52:52
George McKane. An unsung champion for people not so lucky as the majority of us. (I know you would not like me saying that)

Keep up the good work pal and all the best in your undoubted recovery.