Just watched a documentary on BT about the Crazy Gang and Wimbledon's victory over Liverpool in '88.

Even then, Aldrige runs in the box, gets tackled, the lad got the ball but the fuckers got the penalty. Aldo said in the interview that the lad got the ball. Of course, Beasant in the Wimbledon goal saved it and the rest is history. Even in that game, the ref was looking for a chance to even it up.

It has never stopped. This is why, to beat the "so-called" big boys, you have to make sure... you have to hammer them. Two, three goals ahead and even the refs can't stop you.

The best bit was Vinnie Jones cleaning out Stevie McMahon in the first few minutes with a tackle that, these days, would get a 6-month ban! Mustard.

Reader Comments (15)

Mike Galley
1 Posted 02/03/2019 at 21:40:35
Eddie,

Aldo's a prick. A wanker of a man. When the semi-final against Forest was replayed after the Hillsborough disaster, he took great delight in ruffling the young Forest player's head after he scored an oggy for the first goal.

I was fortunate to be at a sportsman's dinner quite a few years later and spoke to Stuart Pearce and Tony Adams about this. Trust me, neither were big fans of Aldo, sound as a pound, or that football club!

Eddie Dunn
2 Posted 02/03/2019 at 21:56:42
Mike, I just watched the highlights, it was Brian Laws. Made it 3-1, and the twat ran over specially to ruffle his hair – he wasn't even near him.
Mike Galley
3 Posted 02/03/2019 at 22:04:05
Eddie,

I'm on one now 😀. I remember listening to radio commentary after Chelsea got past them in a European Cup Semi-Final and got to Chelsea's first ever European Cup Final and the Chelsea fans were dancing and celebrating away.

Aldo said on radio "I can't believe how disrespectful the Chelsea fans are being" or words to that effect. And they wonder why I have a mild dislike of them!

Jim Jennings
4 Posted 02/03/2019 at 22:39:58
Mike, Eddie,

He has form for it. Did the same to Portugal keeper Victor Baia after an oggie playing for Ireland in 95.

Nowadays, a know-nothing rent-a-quote for anything to do with that horrible football club.

Jim Bennings
5 Posted 03/03/2019 at 08:33:34
Aldridge is a bent big mouth no mark, the kind of scally that sells you a dud car and takes no blame.

I hope he’s on the radio today and we shut that shit little pube up.

Paul Tran
6 Posted 03/03/2019 at 08:49:59
My third favourite cup final. I was so happy I laughed at Motson's line about the Crazy Gang beating the Culture Club. As I type I'm smiling at McMahon getting crunched in the first minute, Aldridge missing the dodgy penalty and Aldridge turning away from a Wimbledon players handshake at the end. Something he repeated after that other wonderful game at Anfield a year later.

A great cup final, only beaten by 1984 and 1995.

Steve Brown
7 Posted 03/03/2019 at 09:27:32
Haha, love this. There is nothing that unites Evertonians more than their absolute hared of Aldridge and Thompson!
Dave Abrahams
8 Posted 03/03/2019 at 12:54:28
When Aldridge played for Liverpool, players were not on the ridiculous wages they are on now but they were on very good money, Nevertheless, the tight bastard got done for not having a TV licence.
Peter Mills
9 Posted 04/03/2019 at 09:20:37
This article, and the associated comments, are aimed solely at directing venom towards John Aldridge.

Very few players deserve it more. Excellent stuff.

Matthew Williams
10 Posted 04/03/2019 at 11:08:34
It was the first Semi-Final. I fell asleep watching, me mate woke me up saying they would score that penalty, I said "No way, it's the Don's day!"

Thankfully... I was right! Now... 1987 final... Best final ever not to have the Blue Boys playing in!!

Keith Dempsey
11 Posted 04/03/2019 at 19:58:16
I remember when he was manager at Tranmere he played Sunderland while Reidy was manager in the FA Cup and Tranmere scored while they had 12 men on the pitch. If Reidy had contested it they could have replayed but he took it on the chin and said "These things happen."

I remember thinking at the time that the other twat would have had a petition with 10,000 names on it demanding a replay.

Matthew Williams
12 Posted 05/03/2019 at 10:55:01
Cup Final even... lol, even the Semi-Finals that year were boring. Truth be told, the Cup certainly loses it's lustre when the Blues sadly get knocked out of the competition.

The 1982 Final was shite too... even the replay!

Brian Wilkinson
14 Posted 06/03/2019 at 11:01:03
Little off topic but the classic Tommy Smith, taking a penalty in a cup final pre-match in front of 100,000 fans and watching millions. Then, when they went to stop his disability pay from the DHSS, he blamed it on an Everton fan, dobbing him in it — you couldn't make it up.
Brian Wilkinson
15 Posted 06/03/2019 at 11:04:33
But he was persuaded to take the penalty kick for charity before the 1996 FA Cup Final at Wembley where, he claimed, he was reported by a Benefits Agency worker supporting Liverpool's rivals, Everton.

Mr Smith, 53, said he intended to launch a private prosecution against the worker who named him and would appeal against the panel's decision.

"I'm going to fight this all the way. I'm going to take it further. It's disgraceful. Evidently they don't believe what I say."

Mr Smith claimed that the benefits office worker had bragged in the office about his success in getting the disability stopped.

Lee Courtliff
16 Posted 28/03/2019 at 12:07:41
I think Aldridge did it in both semi-finals, or at least twice against Forest.

I say this because in Stuart Pearce's autobiography he mentioned how Aldo did once, was criticised and apologised AND then did it again in another match!

Pearce said if he'd done it to him the second time he'd have flattened him right there and then!