Reader Comments (71)

Mike Jones
1 Posted 11/05/2019 at 21:12:52
Does anyone else think Liverpool will win the league and champions league? I feel like I’m 7,8,11 and 14 years of age again.

Still on the brightside Jodie Comer’s Dad works for Everton.

I might get to meet her.

Brian Williams
2 Posted 11/05/2019 at 21:25:57
John Boon
4 Posted 11/05/2019 at 21:43:33
NO And after our game on Sunday I will become a one game Spurs supporter.
David Greenwood
5 Posted 11/05/2019 at 21:48:12
Nope Mike. No chance. Not gonna happen.
Mike Gaynes
6 Posted 11/05/2019 at 21:49:49
As will we all, John
Mike Jones
7 Posted 11/05/2019 at 23:12:03
They will win both. I’m probably older than all of you. The pact with the devil has been signed long ago.
Paul Birmingham
8 Posted 11/05/2019 at 23:35:26
Let’s pray that the RS don’t prevail and win this next month.

That would for be a life time, basically in permanent shadow, aside from our golden years, mid eighties. They, took the our chance to rise, away, the rest is history.
The luck, they get, every standard offence for diving, cheating, feigning, and much more goes uncontested, and they never get fined, aside to Mr Ed’s gallop on to the field, when JP, goofed.

I hope and pray that they aren't celebrating tomorrow night.

Brian Williams
9 Posted 11/05/2019 at 23:41:52
They'll win neither!
Mike Jones
10 Posted 12/05/2019 at 00:12:32
They’ll win both.

Believe me

Anthony Murphy
11 Posted 12/05/2019 at 00:18:58
My predictions have been cack lately, but I just have a bad feeling about tomorrow. Can see some sort of typical RS late flukey drama with klipperty doing a OTT run down the touchline towards the kop. Hope I’m wrong.
Darren Hind
12 Posted 12/05/2019 at 06:05:30
The "welcome back heroes" atmosphere inside Tottenham's new stadium will be electric today. If we weather the early storm, we can beat them.

I won't be happy until the final whistle has blown and City have secured a win.

Strange things happen with that lot over the park. You couldnt be confident about City not having a player sent off or being on the wrong end of a really bad decision.
If the Shite score first the City players will know within seconds and the pressure on them will become intense.

It's gonna be a long day

Rob Halligan
13 Posted 12/05/2019 at 07:11:11
Just about to set off for the train. My biggest fear is in about fifteen hours time when we pull back into lime street and then bastards have won the league. Town will be absolutely heaving!

Ain't gonna happen though. COYB FTRS!!

Brent Stephens
14 Posted 12/05/2019 at 08:14:19
One eye on the match today. One ear on the other scores. Looking forward to the experience of Spurs' new ground.

Rob, I'll still be expecting the Blue Moon refrain from your phone at WHL today.

Yes, if "they" win, the city will be unbearable. I might "get off at Edge Hill" on the way back, as they say.

Karl Jones
15 Posted 12/05/2019 at 10:20:54
I'm with Mike Jones...Blues of a certain age know exactly what the outcome will be. Today will be the ultimate proof that there is a Satan.
Chris Leyland
16 Posted 12/05/2019 at 10:38:03
Whilst we all have that nagging doubt at the back of our minds that they will somehow win it today, ask yourself this; if someone held a gun to your head and said:

“I’m giving you a chance for me not to pull the trigger and to live. You can pick from one of the following results: A Brighton win, a draw or a Man City win today. If you are right, I will let you live. Make your pick”

Which result would you pick?

Derek Thomas
17 Posted 12/05/2019 at 10:54:10
The Brighton game on free to air tv here in Australia.
Derek Thomas
18 Posted 12/05/2019 at 11:18:03
Mike @7; 1969, by my reckoning.
Raymond Fox
19 Posted 12/05/2019 at 11:22:48
Spurs will be up for the game today, and on recent results between us you'd have to say a win for them would seem the most likely outcome.
We are on a decent run of form though, so we are not without a chance so here's hoping.
A win for Everton would be a nice surprise but a draw would be a good performance in my opinion.

Have no fear 'them' wont win the League, you could have a saver though at 11/2 if you think they might.

David Pearl
21 Posted 12/05/2019 at 13:56:15
I’ve won 3 of my last 4 weekend bets. And today I have Everton to win and wolves to get a draw. The dark side gave everything midweek. I’m hoping they and spurs will be a little flat.
James Hughes
22 Posted 12/05/2019 at 14:01:01
David went for us and wolves to both win, fingers crossed
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

23 Posted 12/05/2019 at 14:45:06
Just reading the BBC PL match day thread. They are asking fans of all the clubs the following:

The Player, Signing, Goal, Disappointment of the season, and a mark out of 10 for the manager and team over the season.

Josh Sexton of The Anfield Wrap, I presume a Liverpool fan site, said this:

Goal of the season: Divock Origi against Everton. There have been some wonder goals scored by this team in 2018-19, but in terms of importance an almost forgotten man may have claimed first, second and third spot. His brace against Barca has sent Liverpool to Madrid, and his goal against Newcastle has allowed us to keep dreaming until the final day, but his goal against Everton has the added spice of being a 96th-minute winner against our closest rivals.

Disappointment of the season: Everton 0 Liverpool 0. Staying on the the Merseyside derby theme, and without wanting to go back on what was said in my opening gambit, the goalless draw at Goodison in early March was a sickener.

And there's me thinking they no longer concern themselves with 'little ole us'.

Simon Dalzell
24 Posted 12/05/2019 at 15:10:51
No prizes for guessing first Premier goal today. Surprised it took as long as 3 mins.
Ernie Baywood
25 Posted 12/05/2019 at 15:15:54
Jay, I find it hard to believe how much they go on about us. They've had an incredible season yet all they can talk about is us.

I honestly couldn't give a flying shite about them. Whether Mina, Walcott and Tosun can do something in this game is far more important to me.

Terry Underwood
26 Posted 12/05/2019 at 16:37:38
Great news from Brighton…. Please, Wolves fans, take the piss... mock the twats big time!
Terry Underwood
27 Posted 12/05/2019 at 17:00:41
I can't wait to remind plastic RS that the 2 points they dropped at Goodison Park cost them the title. I feel so fuckin' happy
Tony Hill
28 Posted 12/05/2019 at 17:00:54
THE SHITE HAVEN'T WON THE TITLE!!!

I don't give a fuck about anything else.

Denis Richardson
29 Posted 12/05/2019 at 17:04:21
I really wasn’t arsed about the result at Spurs today, most important thing was a City win:-)

97 points and still second. Oh that’s sweet.

Mike Jones
30 Posted 12/05/2019 at 17:07:36
I'm pleased to say my opening post was way off the mark.
Paul Burns
31 Posted 12/05/2019 at 17:18:37
The only score that mattered came from Brighton.

God, I hate Liverpool and the pricks waving their silly scarves in the ground.

Sky sports will be sick, the horrible biased bastards.

Dave Abrahams
32 Posted 12/05/2019 at 17:21:46
I wasn’t really interested in Everton today, City’s score was all I was concerned about, because if Liverpool won 10-0 it made no difference as long as City won, which they did.

No gloating over Liverpool finishing second, just glad they did so. I didn’t have to listen to their armchair supporters gloating over them winning the Premier League.

Darren Hind
33 Posted 12/05/2019 at 17:22:00
I think we should take a leaf out of Herr Klopp's book. They don't do "if only's" . . . HOWEVER!!!!! I think it is the duty of every Evertonian to put his arm around every kopite's shoulder and console him with the fact that they would have been champions... IF only they were annnneeewheeerneeeear good enough to win at Goodison

Phil Smith
34 Posted 12/05/2019 at 17:24:18
Me too Terry, I've already posted that same stat on Facebook and had backlash already from some shite 'friends'...
Tony Hill
35 Posted 12/05/2019 at 17:28:43
Yeah but it's the work that will make it fun. If only we'd been at Goodison, the lads could have joined hands and lined up in front of the Gwladys St to celebrate our 2-2.
Andy Meighan
36 Posted 12/05/2019 at 17:44:49
I know quite a few so-called Bblues who had money on them to win the Premier League... Well, I hope you lot are feeling proud of yourselves tonight and don't kid yourselves that "Well, because I done it, I knew it would lose." You're a fuckin disgrace, the lot of you!!!

Me personally, I'd rather starve than win money betting on them twats.

On another thread today, a lad has just lost his old man. Well looks like Mr Walsh was smiling down on us giving us the result true blues wanted.

I'm sorry for the language, I really am, but I've had enough gloating and smug remarks off them lately to last a lifetime. I asked my old dad this morning to smile on me and make me happy at 5. He kept his side of the bargain. Thanks, Dad, love you. Right, I'm going to get absolutely arseholed.

Mike Price
37 Posted 12/05/2019 at 18:00:38
Pickford must be a happy man tonight after his error didn't gift them the Premier League.

The siren and Z-Cars super charged the derby atmosphere and we stopped them winning the league. That's some lovely schadenfreude right there!

Joe McMahon
38 Posted 12/05/2019 at 18:54:24
Football writers must know something, hats off to Phil McNulty who said before the season started that Wolves would finish above Everton; I thought "Are you 'avin a larf?!"
Tony Hill
39 Posted 12/05/2019 at 19:33:38
Rob @13, you must be enjoying your journey. There'll be a couple of ticket collectors maybe, but town will be empty. Hallelujah.
Andrew Presly

Mike#30.
And your post@#10.
Mike Jones
43 Posted 12/05/2019 at 20:32:50
Brian #42

And my post at #30.

What's your point? I'm pleased as fuck — aren't you?

Brian Williams
44 Posted 12/05/2019 at 20:41:23
"Pleased as fuck" would be an understatement, mate. I'm struggling to think of a term to explain my sheer joy and relief.

My point was that I was backing up what you said about being wrong, when you posted several times that they'd win both. I'm guessing it was a superstitious "If I say they'll win both, they'll win fuck all!" I hope so anyway, and I hope you're wrong again, but right about........ oh you know what I mean.

The celebratory Desperados are taking effect! 🥂🍻🍻🏆

Mike Jones
45 Posted 12/05/2019 at 21:42:20
I had to speak it Brian to make it not come true.

I'm 49 but got a right bollocking off my dad for saying they'd win the league.

I have a habit of messing things up – marriage, work etc – so I had to say it for it be proven wrong.

If you know what I mean!

Dermot Byrne
46 Posted 12/05/2019 at 21:54:04
Brian Williams
47 Posted 12/05/2019 at 22:19:46
Mike#45.
👍
Michael Lynch
48 Posted 12/05/2019 at 22:59:59
Hats off to Citteh, fourteen wins on the run with the pressure on, coming back from ten points behind, and all the while playing incredible football. What a team. Heartbreaking for the Shite. Again. Lol.
Don Alexander
49 Posted 12/05/2019 at 23:01:45
We gave them three points at their place but took two off them at ours. They failed by two. Beautiful.
Michael Lynch
50 Posted 12/05/2019 at 23:02:04
Mind you, watching MotD, did the Shite actually win the title? I thought they finished second? Weird.
Mike Gaynes
51 Posted 12/05/2019 at 23:10:07
From ESPN:

Wolves supporters, basking in the Anfield sunshine, mocked their counterparts by cheering City's goals and singing the name of former Liverpool winger Raheem Sterling -- now a key man at City -- before rubbing it in by chanting, "you nearly won the league!"

Good on ya Wolves!

Andy Crooks
52 Posted 12/05/2019 at 23:22:54
Andy Meighan, just made up for you. That is pure passion!!!
Brent Stephens
53 Posted 12/05/2019 at 23:27:09
The atmosphere at White Hart Lane was unbelievable. A brilliant, sunny May afternoon. An utterly fantastic new stadium. An Everton side taking, away from home, a point off a team in the top 4 and in the Champs League Final, after being a goal down.

The unbridled ecstasy when news of the City goals game in. The Blues singing for a Spurs win in the Champions League Final. And to top it all, all those red shirts in Liverpool, when we got back to Lime Street.

Gloat? Moi?

Mike Gaynes
54 Posted 12/05/2019 at 23:32:35
Sums up quite a day, Brent.
Jamie Crowley
55 Posted 12/05/2019 at 23:33:59
Brent -

Happy you had such a great day.

It was a good day to be Blue in the main.

What a trip to London, to that new, beautiful stadium, seeing Everton play decently well and gain a point off a CL final team.

And celebrating with your Blue Bros and Sis's when City won the league over them.

Great day for you, and I hope you enjoyed it, as I'm sure all away supporters did. Must have been one for the ages. Good man, good day. Well played, sir.

Andy Crooks
56 Posted 12/05/2019 at 23:37:24
Brent, top post.
Rob Halligan
57 Posted 12/05/2019 at 00:03:11
Train pulls into Lime Street. All down the platform, everyone singing "Blue Moon". Get off the platform and loads of Red Shite there. All Blues start singing "You nearly won the league, you nearly won the league, and now you're gonna believe us, you nearly won the league!"

Fucking great!!!

David Pearl
58 Posted 13/05/2019 at 00:18:07
Micheal 48, wasn't it 7 points? We should make it 12 and the legend will grow. Such a relief. I've seen some youtube clips of "you lost the league, at Goodison Park" looks like fun!

Relief and at least a few months off from "this is our year"
I think it's been said before that it's much harder to win the Champions League than the Champions League. I've been disappointed really at the standard of play in the Champions League. Ajax aren't that good. Neither are Spurs.

Now it's time for Brands to earn his money. Lots of shouts on who we should sign. Rondon might be good for us. Could we nick a squad player like Shakiri or Mahrez maybe Lucas Moura? I can't scout for Everton so I have to leave it to Brands and his team to scour Europe and the World.

Only the top 2 have a better finish to the season apparently... though that includes Fulham and Newcastle and us playing Spurs today after an early goal would've normally seen us squander a few more. We didn't. We have the basis of a good team. Finishing no better than last year but the future looks so much better. That's it then. Until next time.
Come on Spurs !!

Graham Hammond
60 Posted 13/05/2019 at 00:43:48
My Dad passed away on Sunday, May 13th last year so obviously, he was on my mind throughout the day. He frequently mentioned the wretched, sickening bias throughout the media towards Liverpool. He was a wise, intelligent man and I miss him.

Today I felt that he came through for me, justice prevailed and a great dark cloud was lifted from me, allowing me to really enjoy the 'Blue Moon' beer which tasted so very sweet. Thanks, Dad.
Only wish I was at the game in London today.
COYB
Chris Hockenhull
61 Posted 13/05/2019 at 00:45:16
We've seemed to have had centuries. of the "Oh what would Shank's say" at every given occasion. Well, that one about "First is about winning... second us nothing" (I may paraphrase) is so, so fitting — along with Dylan's "There's No Success Like Failure... And Failure's No Success At All".
Bill Watson
62 Posted 13/05/2019 at 11:11:51
I have to agree with Noel Gallagher, on Talk Sport, saying the RS will struggle next season with the introduction of VAR and maybe not getting the opposition goalkeeper gifts they had, this season, from us, Palace and Spurs and all their dodgy penalties and free kicks. Even yesterday they clearly had two players offside for the second goal.

Like Brent I had a great day, at Tottenham, yesterday but I hope that next season we'll be more concerned with results affecting us, and at the right end of the table.

Mike Doyle
63 Posted 13/05/2019 at 12:26:14
Chris #61,

Both Shankly and Paisley were adamant that their key target should be to win your domestic league – as that was the true test of your calibre as a team. I recall hearing both of them say this in numerous occasions.

Raymond Fox
64 Posted 13/05/2019 at 13:17:42
A very good run of games to the end of the season by the boys in blue. The dark blues I mean to say, and big well done to the light blues, City who have been relentless. They will win the Premier League again next season unless I'm a bad judge; Liverpool have had their best chance this season. They're 8/11 to win the League 2019-20, it's a bit on the skinny side but I think it's pinching money!

Getting back to Everton, it would be great if we could retain our best players and then add some more quality to them. It's looking likely though that we are going to lose some key players which is going to knock us back a notch or two. Then, of course, it's all down to who we can get as replacements.

In my opinion, the club is a more attractive destination for players now, they should surely see the ambition and the increased spending when the club do enter the transfer market.

James Hughes
65 Posted 13/05/2019 at 14:28:24
For those who can check out the Daily Mash. Lovely piss-take on that lot over the park.
Brent Stephens
66 Posted 13/05/2019 at 14:45:28
Tony Abrahams
67 Posted 15/05/2019 at 16:57:44
We don’t need articles like that Brent, because I’m not sure you have to make things up when you listen to the way quite a lot of Liverpool fans carry on!

They are giving it to City’s players right now, saying they lack class for singing a song that obviously comes from the terraces, but what else would you expect from the fans who are outraged at everything, but ashamed of nothing?

They might be easily offended, but you can’t re-write the past though, especially when it was only 15 months ago that they attacked the Man City coach on its way to anfield, but at least it wasn’t as bad as the one in South America, which lead to the game getting played in Spain!

Brent Stephens
68 Posted 15/05/2019 at 17:01:16
Tony, absolutely mate. You don’t need to make it up, as you say.
Stan Schofield
69 Posted 15/05/2019 at 22:17:21
Tony@67: The thing is, it shows that it's not just us who think the Shite are full of shite, most sensible people find them
very irritating. And their moaning when they lose, and criticism of a club like City with a truly great team, make them look foolish. And the Daily Mash article is dead funny. They have a whole list of similar articles about the Shite, equally funny.
Brian Williams
70 Posted 15/05/2019 at 22:25:11
They're offended by a song when they've sung of the Munich air disaster for years, only stopping post Hillsborough.
You should see some of the posts on the Echo website.
Talk about delusional.
Stan Schofield
71 Posted 15/05/2019 at 22:31:45
Brian, they're like spoilt children, they always want centre of attention. They hate City because they're successful and play with real style and panache and let the football do the talking. They're certainly a club that tends to get involved in controversy whilst acting as if the whole world is against them. Apart from that, they're OK!
Eddie Dunn
72 Posted 15/05/2019 at 23:05:23
Saw that video at Lime St. Hilarious -those faces!
Tony Abrahams
73 Posted 16/05/2019 at 12:14:35
I’m 50 soon so should definitely have grown out of it, but some of these Liverpool supporters, come out with so much shite it really is incredible.

I resent the bitter blue shout, and often tell them I don’t think I’m bitter because I hate my neighbour, but I would be if I hated half the fuckin street.

It’s not them all, I’ve met loads of genuine reds, but most of them just want it both ways, and I’d give my five year old twins a little smack on the back of the arm for carrying on this way, but I suppose that doesn’t mean I’d be right either.

Steve Ferns
74 Posted 17/05/2019 at 18:38:35
I see Max Allegri is about to resign as Juventus manager. Five seasons, five titles.

I’m not quite sure how good he is. Juve are almost to Italy what Celtic are to Scotland, so it’s not the greatest achievement in football history, but keeping them up there season after season is easier said than done.

Europe is the greater indicator. He’s punched above his weight in Europe as until this season, Juve were not exactly on a level playing field with the best of the Premier League, yet he got them to finals and semi-finals.

He’s obviously walking as they’ve spent big this year and come up far short of expectations in the champions league, especially with Ronaldo who is now in decline. He’s got another season left as one of the very best in the world, I think, so maybe Ronaldo wants a different manager to realise his dream of winning the CL from a third different league.

Anyway, what’s the ramifications for us? Nothing directly, but it starts a Merry-go-round. Man Utd miss out on a guy who would be favourite to replace Solskjaer (who won’t be sacked this summer). Madrid won’t want him. So Barca? Koeman is getting that job, yeah WTF indeed. None of the big six will get him with the exception of Chelsea. So not Spain, not Italy (he wouldn’t join a rival of his beloved Juve), PSG maybe? Bayern?

So he’s going to go to PSG, Bayern or Chelsea. Chelsea is unlikely as they have a transfer ban, Allegri is a cheque book manager, whereas Sarri is the opposite and would be good with a ban. PSG look likely to stick with Tuchel. And I doubt Allegri will want another one horse race, which would rule out Bayern too.

So my money would be on him watching Utd, Arsenal (who wanted him ahead of Emery), and Chelsea and coming in to the first to sack their manager.

Allegri, if he gets the Chelsea job would certainly keep Zouma. He fits his profile of defender and Allegri uses a back five and so would want every defender he can get.