The first all-England affair of the week sees Chelsea take on Arsenal in Baku.

Reader Comments (27)

James Hughes
1 Posted 29/05/2019 at 20:17:48
A bit sad that there is only one British player on the pitch. What hope do our youth have ?
Kieran Kinsella
2 Posted 29/05/2019 at 20:21:28
James Hughes 28,

I never understand Arsenal's obsession with foreign players. Under George Graham they had average fellows like Hillier, Selley for example. As soon as Wenger showed up he replaced them all with dead beats like Christopher Wreh, Remi Garde and Grimandi. Yes, he also signed top stars like Viera but I couldn't see the point in replacing average squad players with hopeless French counterparts. Over the years it has continued with the likes of Gibbs, Holding, Jenkinson, Chambers who aren't world beaters but they always seem to play second fiddle to just as bad or worse foreign players e.g. Senderos, Mustafi etc

Dave Abrahams
3 Posted 29/05/2019 at 20:25:19
Can you watch Chelsea v Arsenal on any tv programme, I haven’t got BT ?
John Hoggarth
4 Posted 29/05/2019 at 20:49:13
Sorry Dave only just seen this and it’s half time! The final is free to view on YouTube. Hope you get a less jumpy picture than me!
Tony Hill
5 Posted 29/05/2019 at 20:52:45
Poor game so far but Maitland-Niles has been excellent. England are going to be very strong in that area.
Michael Kenrick
6 Posted 29/05/2019 at 21:10:38
That was a really good header by Giroud. Excellent technique.

Dominic Calvert-Lewin — are you watching!?!?!

Tony Abrahams
7 Posted 29/05/2019 at 21:18:57
Good point Michael, and one I personally hope Duncan Ferguson is preaching to the kid, every time they are on the training pitch.

It’s so important to “Get across the defender”, something Graeme Sharp became great at, once he’d been schooled by Andy Grey.

Tony Hill
8 Posted 29/05/2019 at 21:26:26
Maybe a tad premature in my praise of Maitland-Niles. He's going to be a cracking player though.
Andrew Ellams
9 Posted 29/05/2019 at 21:33:54
Would Kovacic do a job if we don't sign Gomes? Chelsea can't sign him permanently.
Michael Kenrick
10 Posted 29/05/2019 at 21:34:07
Belgium... Number 1 in the world? Surely not...
Mike Gaynes
11 Posted 29/05/2019 at 21:44:01
Chelsea without Hazard is going to be a very different side.
Andrew Ellams
12 Posted 29/05/2019 at 21:46:52
They will Mike. Especially as they can't reinvest the money this summer.
Tony Abrahams
13 Posted 29/05/2019 at 21:49:46
I think they will probably get a different manager as well Mike, but it’s Arsenal, who we should definitely be looking to overtake next year because they don’t look like they have got much fight in them?

My Arsenal mate told me he’d take losing tonight if it meant Liverpool won the champions lge, but I’m hoping he’s even more sick on Saturday than he’s going to be tonight!

Mike Gaynes
14 Posted 29/05/2019 at 21:54:22
Wouldn't make that much of a difference, Andrew. They are losing something irreplaceable.

With ya there, Tony... although I think ManUtd are the most likely Top 6 club for us to pass next year. Arsenal have their problems for sure, but I have considerably more faith in Emery's rehabilitation abilities than I do Solskjaer's. I don't think Ole makes it to Christmas.

Dave Abrahams
15 Posted 29/05/2019 at 21:58:24
John (4), game just finished, thanks a lot for the tip. I watched the second half, picture wasn't bad and the game itself (second half) was pretty good.

Chelsea deserved the win, could have a couple more, but Arsenal wasted some good chances as well, although there is not a lot of fight in the team.

Watching the Arsenal supporters as the goals went in and the outcome was pretty clear, I think we all know how they felt, we've had some days like that, hope better days are ahead for us.

Kunal Desai
16 Posted 29/05/2019 at 22:01:37
Just like Everton, both Arsenal and Man Utd have a rebuilding job which will be carried out over a number of transfers windows; I still think the top six of last season will be a similar finish next season.

Realistically, we finish 7th closing the gap on 6th, but I still don't see us breaking into that group next season.

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

17 Posted 29/05/2019 at 22:03:22
Strange game. Arsenal the marginally better side in the first half, although Chelsea defended well throughout and really didn't give them a sniff. Chelsea didn't have to do anything extraordinary to score their four goals, three of which stemmed from Arsenal errors.

Personally, I'm delighted for the much-abused Sarri. Got the side up to 3rd in the league when Spurs for much of the season looked nailed on for that position. Only beaten on penalties by City in the League Cup final and tore Arsenal a new one tonight.

I'd like that kind of 'failure' and 'dull football' from my Everton manager all day long, ta very much.

Tony Abrahams
18 Posted 29/05/2019 at 22:41:34
I think Chelsea is the perfect example of player power, Jay.

Two managers both win the league, and then can't get the players to even try for them the very next season. They showed tonight how good they can be once the players decide they really want to have a proper go.

Kunal, it all depends on the summer window, but I can see the winds of change coming for any team who really wants to have a proper go next season, and just hope that one of those teams will be Everton...

John Pierce
19 Posted 29/05/2019 at 23:04:29
Arsenal's back 4/5 let them down again. Özil is the biggest of millstones, their best creative outlet who just has no mojo left. Without that lethal pair up front they'd be languishing around with ourselves.

Chelsea without Hazard? Could be mediocre, yet they will finish in the same spots, because well sadly, the rest of league ain't good enough to usurp them.

A sad night, a poor venue, and little joy to be had even in winning. Despite the goals, not a great game really. Uefa proper screwed the pooch!

Jamie Crowley
20 Posted 29/05/2019 at 23:05:14
Kunal @ 16 -

Your prediction is probably spot on with 7th, and what a shame that really is.

Arsenal are a bit of a mess. Man Utd need to rebuild. Spurs surely we can play with? Chelsea will lose Hazard, and no one likes Sarri, I could see them imploding with their group of selfish ass-clowns for players.

Next season is going to be one where breaking into the Top 6 is beckoning. Hopefully we give it a damn good run. Without Europe, we should push up the table in a perfect world. And next season will be an opportunity to do so that I can't ever remember being so ripe.

Kunal Desai
21 Posted 29/05/2019 at 23:13:56
Tony - I'm not convinced we will bring in players that are better than those which Man Utd and Arsenal bring. Both those sides still have a huge presence and are in the Europa League next season, neither of which we have. I believe we can make marginal improvements in improving our points tally but I just don't see us pushing around the 68/70 point mark.

Key is also to instill some mental toughness amongst players. This has been lacking in an Everton side for quite some time.

Tony Abrahams
22 Posted 30/05/2019 at 10:37:15
I agree with what you are saying, Kunal, but if Everton sign the right players, I honestly won't be interested in those other teams that much.

We all hate Liverpool, but the first thing Klopp did at Anfield was to get that real connection between the players and the crowd, and he really reaped that benefit when they beat Barcelona the other week.

I've always been convinced that Everton's greatest weapon has always been the crowd; if Brands can sign the right players, then I'm sure Silva and the fans will take care of the rest.

Sam Hoare
23 Posted 30/05/2019 at 11:25:59
Jamie and Kunal, let's not forget the other teams in the mix:

Wolves were excellent this season and have a team full of young talent that will no doubt be added to this year.

Likewise Leicester have some fantastic young players in Maddison, Ndidi, Chilwell, Barnes, Gray, Pereirra etc. If they add to that and Rodgers gets them all on board, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

I expect West Ham to be better too in their second season under Pellegrini.

I think there will be a much closer spread between the teams in 3rd/4th and 8th/9th next season. It will be harder to predict than in recent years — and a good thing too.

Sam Hoare
24 Posted 30/05/2019 at 12:15:53
And maybe even Newcastle who will challenge higher up the table if Benitez is finally given serious financial backing by new owners.
Phil Martin
25 Posted 30/05/2019 at 12:17:11
The issue we have is that IF we sign a top 6 player we only have limited time to demonstrate we're now a top 6 club, before agents move them onto an established top 6 club. Richarlison is going to leave in a year or two for this very reason (and Gueye wants out now).

So signing great a player once every few seasons is just treading water. The only chance we have is if Moshiri is willing to fund a big spend and several top players are signed in the same window. This of course is also dependent on the manager identifying the right players.

Andrew Ellams
26 Posted 30/05/2019 at 13:20:14
There is a genuine danger that we are now part of a five-team group trying to break into the top 6, which means somebody who starts the season with genuine ambition of qualifying for Europe has to finish in the bottom half of the Premier League.

Newcastle's windfall, the addition of Wolves, and the improvement in Leicester just made our lives very tough. And make no mistake – Newcastle are in a better position than we were when Moshiri came on board; they already have the coach in situ and don't need to spend any of those funds on their stadium.

Geoff Lambert
27 Posted 31/05/2019 at 09:25:24
Phil #25
Unfortunatly it's not who wants to come to us or how much we want to spend.

It's the financial unfair play rules. the rules that state it was OK to spend as much as you like to get top 4/6 but now they are up there no one else is able to spend like they did to emulate them.

And with our wage bill so high at the moment we need to move a lot of players on before we can spend big.