Reader Comments (29)

Tony Abrahams
1 Posted 02/06/2019 at 17:11:46
I can’t play golf Ray, but I know Everton’s under 23’s are playing in Rhyl soon, so maybe yers could make a real day of it?
Ray Roche
2 Posted 02/06/2019 at 17:14:57
I didn’t realise that Tony. I’ll go and watch them if possible. (I played there in the 1970’s)
Derek Knox
3 Posted 02/06/2019 at 20:22:27
As you well know Ray I am a definite starter, and we have spoken about this in some detail. There is a Monthly Newspaper of which copies are generally available at most golf Clubs/Driving ranges etc, called Club Golfer if memory serves, (not sure whether they still print it it) there are often deals at various venues listed in there.

Without stealing your thunder mate, any prospective participants should be aware that most of these 'deals' are only available Monday to Friday, as Weekend is not only always at a Premium rate, but most clubs have their competitions then, and Tee Times are limited.

Hopefully we can get a decent number interested, and if successful, like the Get Togethers, we can have another, or perhaps have one every 3 months or so.

I will try to find out more about the U-23's at Rhyl as Tony Abrahams mentioned.

Ray Roche
4 Posted 02/06/2019 at 21:20:00
Derek, any input is welcome, so thank you for your help.Yes, I’ve seen Club Golfer and I will see if I can pick one up tomorrow at Rhuddlan. At the moment we’be got a four ball!
John Hughes
5 Posted 02/06/2019 at 22:23:13
Hi Ray. Even though I’m Bristol based these days, I spend quite a bit of time in the north west owing to business and family ties. Definitely interested in the golf day and pleased to assist in any way I can.
Ray Roche
6 Posted 02/06/2019 at 22:32:28
Thanks John, we have six interested so far, date and venue to be confirmed when we think that no one else will be joining us. Any information regarding Liverpool area courses that you have played etc. would be welcome. It will probably be a weekday due to most clubs having their competitions at weekends and prices are consequently lower too.
Watch this space now where have we heard that before? ;-)
Mike Gaynes
7 Posted 04/06/2019 at 04:19:13
I think you guys should come over and play Pebble Beach.
Derek Knox
8 Posted 04/06/2019 at 08:43:19
Mike G, good idea, the last I heard it was ONLY $550 a round, but I'm sure they would do a special discount for TW members. :-)
Ray Roche
9 Posted 04/06/2019 at 08:46:26
That’s very generous of you Mike. Thanks, we accept your kind offer 😁
Tony Abrahams
10 Posted 04/06/2019 at 09:01:34
I can’t play Golf, Derek, but I’ve heard many people tell me they’ve played Royal Birkdale for nothing on Christmas morning.

Derek Knox
11 Posted 04/06/2019 at 10:13:09
Tony, I think they would 'notice' if 6 or 8 of us all 'bunked on'. :-)

Haven't seen anything about the U-23's playing Golf at Rhyl mate, where did you hear about it, or see it, I have been on the OS and there was nothing there either?

Ray Roche
12 Posted 04/06/2019 at 10:18:48
Derek I think Tony means Rhyl FC pre season friendly
Tony Abrahams
13 Posted 04/06/2019 at 10:27:00
Saturday 27th July, at Rhyl’s, Belle Vue stadium Derek, just type in Everton’s under 23’s pre-season fixtures 2019 mate.
Derek Knox
14 Posted 04/06/2019 at 10:30:04
Ray/Tony that explains a lot there then, I was thinking it was a Golf Comp (duh) still a ball sport with different Clubs. :-)
Kenn Crawford
15 Posted 04/06/2019 at 10:33:51
Guys I would love to play but living Australia makes it pretty hard but if any of you ever get here lets meet up
Cheers guys
Ray Roche
16 Posted 04/06/2019 at 10:40:09
Kenn, ask Mike Gaynes to help, he’s taking a load of us to Pebble Beach 👍
Tony Abrahams
17 Posted 04/06/2019 at 10:52:00
Why did this course get the name Pebble beach? I’m not being ignorant, but I watched a great film/documentary on the great Seve Balasteros, and was wondering if it had any connection to one of one of the most natural sportsmen that have ever lived?
Derek Knox
18 Posted 04/06/2019 at 11:19:49
Tony, good question, it is situated on the Monterey Peninsula, California and is obviously right beside the Pacific, so as they class it as a links course, I presume it took it's name from the adjacent beach.

It is hosting the US Open next week, starting on the Thursday 13th, all of the big names will be there, unfortunately neither Ray or myself were invited. (most unsporting of them)

The famous Jack Nicklaus was always quoted as saying if he was told he could only have one last game of Golf before he passed on, or couldn't physically play any longer, it would be Pebble Beach!

Tony Abrahams
19 Posted 04/06/2019 at 11:24:22
I’m glad I asked Derek, and for anyone who hasn’t watched ”Seve” then I’m sure if you like life, then you will also enjoy this!
Brian Harrison
20 Posted 04/06/2019 at 11:54:54
I love my golf nearly as much as I love Everton. Just to fill in some details about Pebble beach it got his name from a rocky cove which was prominent on that part of the coast. They opened it as a golf course in 1919 so quite fitting that this years US Open should be at Pebble in its centenary year.

I have been at every British Open in the north west since 1976 in which Johnny Miller won. I was lucky to meet Johnny Miller when I was stewarding at the Open at Birkdale where of course he won in 1976. I was telling him about his final round that year. I said you played with an unknown Spaniard called Seve Ballesteros, he said you have a good memory.

British golf has the best most knowledgeable and respected fans anywhere in the world. As Peter Allis said amazing how a piece of string can keep control of 50,000 people, also amazing how quiet they are when players are putting out. I have never seen anyone ever encroach onto the playing area, and unlike some of our American counterparts each player irrispective of where he comes from is treated with the same respect as our home grown players. What other sport has that respect.

I also was a steward at Tommy Fleetwods British Masters at Hillside a few weeks back. The reception that Tommy got on each green was amazing a true blue Tommy was really taken aback by his reception from the fans.

Tony Abrahams
21 Posted 04/06/2019 at 13:00:10
Any tips for the US Open then?
Brian Harrison
22 Posted 04/06/2019 at 13:11:45
Tony

Certainly being at Pebble there are a few with good track records round this course namely Woods and Mickleson and Graeme Mc Dowell won his US Open there. But like with football there are so many scenarios, funny I have never in my life bet on football or Golf mind horses are a different matter.

Well I think Koepka and Johnson will be right up there and if you are looking for a decent outsider I like Xander Shuffle.

Derek Knox
23 Posted 04/06/2019 at 14:07:49
Brian, thanks for the information and how very true, about different players seem to do well at certain Courses, a bit like Football and Horse Racing too, in that some always seem to do well at a particular ground/racecourse or at a particular Club.
Tony Abrahams
24 Posted 04/06/2019 at 14:26:23
Thanks Brian, and what a story it would be if Tiger Woods, could reclaim his old glories? I can’t play, but I love watching golf, so this is definitely something to look forward to now next week.
Derek Knox
25 Posted 06/06/2019 at 02:29:36
Tony, another film which is based on a true story, (usually the best films are) but a bit of Hollywood thrown in, you should like is " The Greatest Game Ever Played ".

It's set around the early days of Golf @ 1910, but very enjoyable to watch too.

Tony Abrahams
26 Posted 06/06/2019 at 07:50:21
I’ll give it a go Derek, but I’m not sure it will beat the Bayern Munich game though mate!
Derek Knox
27 Posted 06/06/2019 at 10:55:21
Tony, nothing would beat that game, the best atmosphere I have experienced in Goodison ever, especially when we were 0-1 at half time. I also remember a player they had called Norbert Nachtweiller, he was kicking our lads all over the park and getting away with it.
Tony Abrahams
28 Posted 07/06/2019 at 14:33:07
I can’t remember him Derek, but if you kicked Everton, in those days, they just kicked you back harder!

The famous story was that during the game, one of Bayern’s coaches went up to the Everton bench complaining about the physical nature of Everton, and was told to “Fuck Off” by everyone who was sitting on it.

I heard Peter Reid, did the same to Jamie Carragher, in a roundabout way last week, and Spit was lost for words?

Derek Knox
30 Posted 09/06/2019 at 20:26:50
Well Tony, that must be a first. A 24-carat Gobshite lost for words!

I think most associated with Liverpool, starting with the Manager have had that operation, where their poo tubes are directly connected to their Gobs!