Reader Comments (30)

Peter Mills
1 Posted 15/06/2019 at 22:53:25
Barry, I seem to recall he turned up at the team’s hotel on the morning of the 1984 Cup Final and gave everyone a good laugh.

This was following both managers being interviewed the night before. Graham Taylor said something along the lines of “We are looking forward to the day out at Wembley”. Howard said “We are going there to win it”.

Paul Ferry
2 Posted 16/06/2019 at 05:44:10
The old boss day long Final BBC coverage Pete, with celebs on the specials from Lime Street with cameras and Freddie just after its a knockout.

I saw Freddie at the '95 final.

Pete, I'm in Crosby in July I';; send an email.

Brian Wilkinson
3 Posted 17/06/2019 at 05:14:09
Hi Barry, I managed to pick up a ticket outside the ground for that semi, I was in the stand above, Freddie Starr was about three rows behind me and about 6 seats away.

He pulled up near the traffic lights in a Rolls-Royce and quick as a flash a scouser said "Got any spares, Freddie?" He laughed and said "Sorry, I haven't."

Clive Rogers
4 Posted 17/06/2019 at 10:02:29
I didn't know he was a Blue. I've been watching some clips of him on stage on YouTube. He was a comic genius IMO.
Matt Traynor
5 Posted 17/06/2019 at 11:30:58
I recall my father saying he sat next to him a few times in the Main Stand. He said he was in Panto at the time, and would come to the game at Goodison after the matinee performance, still in makeup, and dart off at the end to do the early evening show.
Tony J Williams
6 Posted 17/06/2019 at 12:22:22
I remember the 84 Cup Final, all day coverage.

I remember him taking the piss out of Andy Gray, because they looked alike.

Funny fella, pity his last days were abroad due to allegations against him.

Mike Doyle
7 Posted 17/06/2019 at 12:29:11
Many media commentators point to Man Utd opting out a few years ago as marking the demise of the FA Cup.

However Paul Ferry's comment (#2 above) reminds me that the real decline in interest started when BBC and ITV dropped their full day coverage of the final – which seemed to start at about 08:00 in the morning with "Breakfast with the teams" and include Cup Final editions of Question of Sport and It's A Knockout (the latter presented of course by former family favourite Stuart Hall). It was always a big day whoever you supported.

No recollection of Freddie Starr as a blue – in those days, it was usually Ed 'Stewpot' Stewart who was rolled out when a 'celebrity Evertonian' was required. I think he even took to the field in Mick Lyons's testimonial.

Phil Bellis
8 Posted 17/06/2019 at 13:12:13
I watched these last week...happy memories

Barry Connor
9 Posted 17/06/2019 at 13:51:27
Mike (7);

I think you are right about Ed Stewart, although interestingly he wasn't from Merseyside but from Devon (died in 2016 I believe) – he supported Everton because (allegedly) he felt sorry for them when they were beaten 6-0 by Chelsea in a game in 1949!!!

Mike Doyle
10 Posted 17/06/2019 at 15:01:53
Phil (8). watching your 2nd clip reminds me that there was a time when Micheal Barrymore was regarded as TV's top entertainer – a point that those who reckon that telly was much better 30 years ago may choose to reflect on?
Dave Williams
11 Posted 17/06/2019 at 17:30:09
A very funny guy at his peak. He was sat a couple of rows back from me at a game in the early seventies. I think Tommy Casey was in charge and we were dreadful.

A very small crowd so you could hear what people in the crowd were saying. Starr made a very funny remark which reached the referees ears and you could see the ref convulsed with laughter. That was all the encouragement Starr needed and the rest of the game became a sideshow as Starr performed for the Main Stand.

He was hilarious and made the day worthwhile despite a dire performance (Howard Kendall apart) from the poorest Everton team I have ever seen.

RIP.

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

12 Posted 17/06/2019 at 19:50:21
With regard to Ed 'Stewpot', who remembers him teaming up with Everton for the quirky Quizball show in which teams competed against each other in a KO quiz?

Teams could choose four different routes to goal. Route Four entailed getting a shot off on goal with four easier questions. Route One, one single hard question. If my memory serves me right, Ed Stewart and Brian Labone were the 'brains' of Everton's four-man team, getting us to the final one year.

Talking of Everton celebs, me and the missus 'binge viewed' the second series of 'Killing Eve' over the weekend. Any other fans out there?

I was delighted to learn that the SUPERB Jodie Comer who plays the psychopathic Russian assassin Villanelle hails from Liverpool and that her dad is a sports massage therapist at Everton! Should make her a Blue rather than a (commie) red!

Anyone on here know her father? Apparently, on winning the BAFTA best actress award for her role, her parents took the trophy back to Liverpool with them and did a pub crawl with it to show it off!

Only 26, Jodie has a great career in front of her. Outstanding talent.

Andy Meighan
13 Posted 17/06/2019 at 20:34:53
Mike 10,

No, telly really was funnier 30+ years ago:

Love thy Neighbour
Til death do us part
Jim Davidson in his pomp

Er... I'll get me coat

Stephen Davies
14 Posted 17/06/2019 at 20:36:45
Jay #12.

Yes, she mentions all this when she was a guest on the Seth Myers chatshow in the US.

You should be able to get it on YouTube.

John G Davies
15 Posted 17/06/2019 at 20:57:47
Jay,

No die is a 100% Blue. Her dad Jimmy would have it no different.

Her dad and mum Donna are 100% ordinary scourers. Beautiful people both of them.

No mean player Jimmy as a young man controlling the midfield around the Sunday leagues. Netherley Legion or Reigate if I remember rightly.

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

17 Posted 17/06/2019 at 21:05:33
Oh-er, John! Predictive text being very spooky.

Very Freudian how Jodie became 'No die', given her role in 'Killing Eve'.

Reassuring to learn she's been raised 'proper like'. I followed up Stephen's suggestion and found the Seth Myers interview. She does indeed reference Everton and even says 'go the game' like a true Blue.

She's rapidly becoming my favourite actress like - EVER!

John G Davies
18 Posted 17/06/2019 at 21:17:37
Jay,

Peculiary predictive indeed 😀

Her dad is a died-in-the-wool one million percent Evertonian.
Loves and buys into the club thoroughly.

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

19 Posted 17/06/2019 at 21:34:13
Sounds as if you know the family personally, John.

Does dad work at Finch Farm itself in his job as a sports massage therapist?

Rob Halligan
20 Posted 17/06/2019 at 21:36:33
I've known Jimmy Comer for years. Went to a few aways with him before he got the job at Everton. Sorry though, cannot give details of his address. Don't want a load of stalkers chasing Jodie!!
Tom Bowers
21 Posted 17/06/2019 at 21:51:44
Britain had a lot of great funnymen but none better than Freddie. Just his shear expression was enough to get you laughing.

I saw him and Russ Abbot appear on stage together at the Shakespeare and just did a lot of crazy stuff ad-libbing each other. The best night I ever had.

A sad loss to us all... Anyone remember that night on Parky with Ali?

John G Davies
22 Posted 17/06/2019 at 21:57:51
Jay,

A really good man, Jimmy. He is the massuer for the players.

Brent Stephens
23 Posted 17/06/2019 at 22:16:49
John #15 "Her dad and mum Donna are 100% ordinary scourers".

We've all gotta make a living, I suppose!

Rob Halligan
24 Posted 17/06/2019 at 22:19:37
Jimmy is the one who comes on the pitch at half time and full time carrying the water bottles tray.
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

25 Posted 17/06/2019 at 22:31:23
Thanks for that Rob! I'll keep an eye out for him.

They must be hugely proud parents. I read their son also works in footy at Huddersfield, is that right?

Rob Halligan
26 Posted 17/06/2019 at 22:34:33
Yeah, Jay. I think he does scouting.
Michael Kenrick
27 Posted 18/06/2019 at 02:43:50
I will just say that Jodie Comer is absolutely brilliant in "Killing Eve".
Dave Williams
28 Posted 18/06/2019 at 09:01:41
Tom, that was brilliant when Freddie told the spooky tale and lured Ali in before giving him a fright. Comic genius... and the Greatest loved it!
Gerard McKean
29 Posted 18/06/2019 at 16:46:52
Jay #12, Jodie's dad, Jimmy was a pupil of mine at Netherley Comp. back in the 70's. I taught him all he knows!!

But seriously, just to amplify what Rob and John G Davies say: Jimmy is one of the nicest blokes you could ever meet, a true Evertonian, and at the age of 14 -16 one of the best players of his age in the city. Netherley was blessed with many fine young footballers and it was my privilege to have taken charge of a number of teams over my decade there and, I could be wrong here but I think Jimmy took some bad injuries playing in the Sunday League at quite an early age which put paid to any possibility of him playing at the much higher levels of which he had been capable.

I was delighted to meet up again years later with Jimmy when I turned up at Goodison as Chief Steward and a cheerful voice piped up, "Oi what are you doing here, Sir?" The very decent youngster became a fine man, and his daughter, Jodie, is a credit to her Mum and Dad, to her city and to our team!

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

30 Posted 18/06/2019 at 17:16:30
Nice one Gerard!

Thanks for sharing that.

Obviously you schooled him well, judging by how all the family turned out!

Paul Heron
31 Posted 24/06/2019 at 14:32:29
Good to hear that Jodie (from Killing Eve) is a blue. Still gutted that Halle berry isn't.

BTW 312 Jay - nothing wrong with being a commie!