About to score 7,000 top-flight goals?

by   |   30/09/2018  17 Comments  [Jump to last]

I may well have missed this or be wrong as I'm not sure how accurate the all-time table is but I believe that Everton are only 16 goals away from being the first club in world football to score 7,000 league goals.

If this has been missed surely this is a good promotional opportunity for Everton? Who's going to get the 7,000th goal?

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (17)

Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
1 Posted 02/10/2018 at 04:26:44
I checked in with Steve Johnson of Everton Results and Everton – the Official Complete Record.

Steve kindly pointed me to the page where he keeps tabs on this stuff, under Competitions. And sure enough, 6,984 top-flight goals.

Eric Myles
2 Posted 02/10/2018 at 04:39:53
Since football was only invented when the Premier League started, I don't anticipate much publicity from commentators or the media on reaching this milestone.

It's something the Club are going have to promote in player and manager interviews.

Martin Nicholls
3 Posted 02/10/2018 at 05:23:55
A World first? The Club MUST make something of this opportunity to promote itself – for the reasons cited by Eric, I don't expect Sky to recognise this feat when it is achieved but if it is truly unbiased (and I don't believe it is) then surely BBC must?
Dennis Stevens
5 Posted 02/10/2018 at 11:59:03
If Allardyce was still Manager we'd be a couple of seasons off reaching the 7,000 goal mark!
Rob Halligan
6 Posted 02/10/2018 at 12:54:53
Interesting stat, Steve. Are we well clear in the race to reach this figure, or are there any other clubs who are close? Celtic or Rangers and Barcelona or Real Madrid must have bagged a few thousand goals during their illustrious histories.
Ognjen Mojovic
7 Posted 02/10/2018 at 16:05:43
@ Rob Halligan: I think that Steve talks about being the first team in English top flight to score 7000 goals. I checked where we stand in comparison to Real Madrid, Barcelona, Celtic and Rangers:

Because La Liga started in 1920s, we are ahead of Real and Barcelona (both less than 6100 league goals):

On the other hand, we have that Celtic scored more than 10000 league goals, Rangers almost 10000 and Hearts around 7500 league goals:

Juventus scored just above 6000 league goals and River Plate around 6800.

Ray Roche
8 Posted 02/10/2018 at 16:18:14
Thing is though, Celtic play in Micky Mouse league that has been a one horse procession for years, despite the press and Brenda spouting off about the “Great Achievement” it is to win the Scottish Premier League.

Utter bollocks.

Rob Halligan
9 Posted 02/10/2018 at 16:31:27
Ognjen, I wasn't sure if Steve meant just England or not? In his opening paragraph he states the first club in world football to reach 7000 league goals.

Given the relatively easy league Celtic and Rangers, and to an extent, certainly down the years, Barcelona and Real Madrid are in, I would have thought those clubs would have been nearer or surpassed 7,000 goals.

I will assume Steve meant in the English Football League.

Martin Nicholls
10 Posted 02/10/2018 at 16:40:00
Rob #9 – he probably means major leagues, of which SPL certainly isn't!
Don Alexander
11 Posted 03/10/2018 at 00:33:25
This resonates with me just less than the fact that we had the first ever ground where dug-outs were installed, and I suspect most of the rest of today's football audience will agree with me.
Mike Galley
12 Posted 03/10/2018 at 00:48:21
Don #11,

I couldn't agree more. But when it happens (surely it will? Surely we can score another 16 goals this season?), it will hopefully get mentioned in some media outlets. When it does, the resulting reaction from the RS will, I'm sure, be fun to behold.

On the strength of that, I shall mention it at every possible opportunity!

Tom Hughes
13 Posted 06/10/2018 at 11:43:40
This ranks far higher than the dugouts non-stat (We weren't the first to introduce dugouts), if only to act as a reminder that this club hasn't always been a mediocre non-entity, and perhaps more importantly that ALL of the so called big 6 have spent a large part of their histories being decidely shitter than we've ever been.

That reminder extending to our current custodians, as this might be the last landmark we reach before anyone else, if we don't start winning things again.

John Pickles
14 Posted 07/10/2018 at 09:05:06
If Roberto had still been manager, we would have done it ages ago.

We would have been the first to concede 8,000 though.

Colin Glassar
15 Posted 07/10/2018 at 09:16:57
Yesterday was also our 600th away win in the top flight. We are only the 4th team in football to achieve this record.
Eric Myles
16 Posted 07/10/2018 at 12:31:53
There used to be a time when we were the team with the most number of points in the country. Not so any more.
Matthew Williams
17 Posted 09/10/2018 at 10:24:35
Wouldn't it be real nice if the record was broken with a derby winner!
Drew O'Neall
18 Posted 10/10/2018 at 04:46:00
While we’re top of the all time top flight goal charts, we’re also top of the losses and, probably, goals against charts too, for balance.