We're still here

by   |   04/12/2018  9 Comments  [Jump to last]

How are you feeling? Numb? Angry? Hurt? frustrated?

I watched some of Sunday's game again today. Not all of it – just the end. Now you could be forgiven for thinking I`m some sort of a masochist, A glutton for punishment, but I can assure you that is not the case. I wanted to make the image of that gormless German fucker "forgetting himself" stick. I wanted to really register the injustice of losing to the Jammiest of goals, in front of a house of Orcs, all of whom have grown accustomed to winning games in the poxiest of manners. I want to remember this moment when our time comes... and come it will.

Silva has only been here a few months and his team are already playing better footy than Klopp's vastly overrated non-achievers.

I was gutted we didn't draw them in the cup. I was really willing for their name to come out straight after ours. I wanted to play them on Monday. I want to play them today. I want to play them tomorrow. I want to play these fuckers every day – twice on Sundays. There are scores to be settled, lots of them. The only way our wounds will heal is to pay them back in kind. To inflict serious pain on them, wipe those gloating smiles off their faces.

Silva wouldn't have been my first choice this summer (I wanted Eddie Howe). However, after years soul-destroying Zombie football, not many really objected to his appointment. We knew his team would attack and it does, but this is no Kevin Keegan. This guy fancies himself. I feel he is actually challenging his opposite number "You think you're better than me?"

Going into Sunday's match, I thought there was still an outside chance of catching them. We won't catch them now, but that's only because they were able to steal the march on us. While most of our signings were either struggling for fitness or still acclimatising to football in the Premier League, theirs were putting together an impressive unbeaten run of games. Make no mistake, this is the best side they have had in years... but they were still made to look very ordinary for long spells the other night.

We're close you know, I mean really close. 3-4 more players and we will be a sustained match for anybody. The number one priority right now must be to secure the services of Gomes on a perminant basis. His performances will have had many of the top clubs sitting up and taking notice. If we are serious about getting back among them, this guy can not be allowed to slip through our fingers. Get it done.

The next task is to get a few more in. Players of quality who will give us a real chance of winning the FA Cup. We should also be looking to take the next step against the big boys, its a measure of the astonishing change of mindset that simply "giving them a game" will not be enough when we face up to them in the second half of the season. It's doubly important we beat Liverpool, especially if it derails their season.

I've noticed a lot of people have been comparng Sunday's match to games they remember from the distant past. For me it was the Milk Cup Final defeat at Main Road. Unsurprisingly we were beaten by another poxy goal after Souness had mis-controlled.We used to travel together back then and, although I was broken-hearted, I was not broken. I had drawn the short straw and was driving home, but it wasn't solely down to the fact that I fucked off, leaving three skint kopites stranded in a drenched Manchester, that my pain was easing. I was driving home in the certain knowledge that the team I had so desperately yearned for, was about to arrive.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (9)

Dave Ganley
1 Posted 05/12/2018 at 09:31:11
Hi Darren, good to see you back on TW. Like you, I can't go to the games at the moment due to having had a shoulder operation, maybe Spurs later this month I'll be back.

Surprisingly, I was very heartened by Sunday even though we cruelly lost. Also, I had recollections of the defeat at Maine road in 84. I was in with the Kopites on the Kippax that night having gone to the game with my sister who is a red.

Walking out I felt a corner had been turned even though we had been beat and I feel the same now. This team is unrecognizable to the shambles of last season. We are improving with every game and we aren't even approaching the finished article.

Gomes ran the show. What a star he will be. The defence looked solid (last minute excepted) and we look very threatening on the break. We desperately need a striker and I'm sure Silva and brands have one or two on the radar.

We forget how far we have come in a short space of time. Silva also didn't fill me with excitement when he came but I have been very impressed with how we have progressed already this season. I'm trying to keep a lid on it but j feel we may actually have the real deal here. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself but there is an element of cocksure football going on, a side confident it will get results. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that and Silva and Brands have only been at it a few short months but excitement is building and I can't wait for the return derby, payback is incoming.

It's all coming together nicely. There will be a few setbacks along the way, as Sunday proved, but we will come back stronger. Pickford will get over that and prove he is one of the best. Exciting times ahead!

Stan Schofield
2 Posted 05/12/2018 at 14:15:51
Darren, you've done it again, brilliant piece.

I too couldn't watch the game, but I got updates, and KNEW we were rattling them, just as I was convinced (obviously wrongly) before the game that we'd win it. When the score changed, I KNEW it was a piece of bad luck, and I was so fucking angry and frustrated about it. When I got the details, there were no surprises for me. I didn't sleep very well that night, the anger was so deep, and I was telling myself to get a grip, it's only a game of football, but that didn't work.

I'm still frustrated, but not angry, because like you, I KNOW our time is coming, and it's coming more rapidly than we could have expected. I KNOW that Evertonians will get behind our players, that we have class and integrity, and that goodness will prevail and give us our just revenge, and that it will be soon.

The way we play now, I KNEW that playing the likes of Liverpool would in many ways be easier than playing the likes of Cardiff or Huddersfield, because the game would be more open for our skill, style, creativity and commitment, something which only six months ago would have seemed ridiculous.

I try not to focus on Liverpool, because I just want to focus on us. I don't hate them as such, but I love seeing them lose. And like you, at the moment, I just want to play them again, and again, and again, something which I never recall wanting in all my years of supporting Everton. That in itself is enough to tell me where we now are with Silva and Brands at the helm.

Tony Abrahams
3 Posted 05/12/2018 at 14:22:10
Those that understand, need no explanation. The Toffees are coming, I hope you're right, Darren mate!
Paul Tran
4 Posted 05/12/2018 at 14:26:40
Another good piece, Darren.

Let's put them away for a few months and concentrate on what's in front of us. Tonight's game is one of many we should win, yet one we'll have to work hard to win.

Matching the teams above us is first base, not bad four months in. Second base is to start beating them, which for me means signing up Gomes, a goalscorer and right back.

I'm enjoying this.

Brian Harrison
5 Posted 05/12/2018 at 15:05:10
Darren,

I can't agree this is the best side Liverpool have had in years; for me, the team that possibly should have won the league with Suarez and Gerrard was better than this present squad. I wouldn't swap any of our midfield for theirs, in fact, I still don't know how you get to a Champions League final with Henderson, Milner and Winadldam – distinctly average, all 3 of them.

With Silva and Brands now at the helm we have at last got 2 people running the football side who play the game the right way. Even when he was at Hull Silva sent his team out against all teams playing an attacking game. But he didn't have the players there to be able to carry through his ideas. Now with, Farhard's money and Brands's ability to get the right players in I believe within a couple of seasons we will be competing for a top 4 place.

What a joy watching Everton under Silva home or away he employs the same game plan which is to take the game to the opposition. I think, if we had been more clinical in front of goal, our points so far would be a lot more. But he will get players in who can be more clinical – I have no doubt.

Mike Gaynes
6 Posted 05/12/2018 at 15:39:35
Well said, Darren.

Dave Abrahams
7 Posted 05/12/2018 at 16:03:19
I know were your heart is, Darren, when Everton are involved, but I wouldn't want to play them just now, when the return fixture is due (March?) we will be waiting and with one or two signings in January will again stand up to them and get revenge for last Sunday's sad ending.

With Brands and Silva I am positive happy days are ahead – not just fleeting success but sustained and trophy winning years. We've waited and waited, we are now near the front of the queue, no need to rush.

Jamie Crowley
8 Posted 05/12/2018 at 16:07:29
We're close you know, I mean really close.

Couldn't agree more.

Laurie Hartley
9 Posted 09/12/2018 at 20:59:52
I am still angry also, Darren. Every time I think about how that game ended, I feel like smashing something.

But, like you, I think we are very close – perhaps even closer than the 3 or 4 players you suggest. My feeling is that, if we can get our hands on a big, mobile goal-scoring centre-forward, it opens up a whole new box of tricks for Marco Silva :-

Choice of 4 wide men
Choice of 2 number 10s
Choice of 3 centre-halves

That would, of course, depend on us signing Gomes and Zouma on permanent deals which I reckon is vital and of equal importance.

Marco Silva has completely changed my personal mindset from one of miserable trepidation before every game back to what it once was – "What's our name?"