Goals, Goals, Goals

by   |   20/12/2018  24 Comments  [Jump to last]

Much debate has been going on about 2 things involving Everton: our belief and ambition to be top 4 again; and the lack of a proven goalscorer since Lukaku left.

I looked into the current top of the table and it illustrates the importance of goalscoring. The top 5 have scored significantly more than the rest and, in City's case, double the amount we have scored so far.

As the top scorers have only scored 10 and Richarlison has 8, I dont believe our problem is just a goalscoring centre-forward. We need goals throughout the side but particularly from midfeld and "other" forwards.

Sigurdsson has 6 so we can't look at him as being the problem but, if we take Walcott, Bernard, Gomes and Gana, their goal contribution is pitiful. Now, in my opinion, goalscoring is not an art that can be taught; so, if we are to progress, we need to replace at least two of those four with players who can contribute as much ability and score goals as well.

I am not forgetting the odd goal coming from the full-backs or centre-backs from corners but I am talking about regular threats from positions that should be contributing goals.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (24)

Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
1 Posted 20/12/2018 at 06:42:29
Sorry I couldn't get your table to format, Jay, so I binned it.

For those who need to see the goals for and against, click here.

Mike Allison
2 Posted 20/12/2018 at 07:30:50
Looking at Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea suggests we’re ten goals short so far, but also that we’ve conceded five too many.

There’s a lot more positive feeling about our style and the direction we’re going in, but results aren’t much different to last season. We need to be utterly relentless in winning home games against the ‘bottom 13’, something we’re badly failing at at the moment.

David Pearl
3 Posted 20/12/2018 at 12:47:15
Walcott and Bernard have been very wasteful but a goal and some confidence could rectify that. Goals from corners, what are they?

I think Silva took us to a place of expectation but its stalled a little of late. We have enough talent within the squad to score a lot more than we have, without buying another striker. If we do get one in though it could reignite the rest of them.

Kane is the only striker doing anything at Spurs but the rest of them chip in without fail when needed. Patience needed, I know it's hard.

Tom Bowers
5 Posted 20/12/2018 at 13:32:28
It is a major problem for most teams except those few at the top who have an abundance of goalscorers and don't just rely on one or maybe two.

Having said that, most teams cannot remotely afford the wages or transfer fees to maintain a big pool of offensive type players and/or using them off the bench.

It will take time for Everton to get to that position and, in the meantime, will have to do with what they have which we know is not good enough.

We all probably expected more from Walcott, Tosun and maybe even Bernard but it's been disappointing to say the least.

Gylfi is not an out-and-out goalscorer and Gana certainly isn't.

All we can hope for at this stage is a return to confidence for the whole team, a couple of great additions in January, and a second half of the season that suggests Silva is taking this team somewhere next season.

Fran Mitchell
6 Posted 20/12/2018 at 13:56:29
It's been clear that both Bernard and Walcott are underperforming. Bernard has yet to score, Walcott just 3. Each should have a minimum of 5 or 6 each by now.

This is the key issue, our front 4 depends on 2 to get the goals.

Other teams have noticed too, hence the extra attention given to both players.

If the opposition had to worry about all 4 attackers, Richarlison and Sigurdsson would consequently get more space and more goals too.

Mike Gaynes
7 Posted 20/12/2018 at 14:40:20
Fran, neither Bernard nor Walcott is really underperforming much when it comes to goals.

Bernard only scored in one of every 7 appearances even at Shakhtar, a much lower level. We got him as a playmaker, not a goalscorer. I believe he does have three assists, which isn't bad considering he is still adjusting to the Premier League's speed and pace. If he had 5 or 6 goals now, he would be far ahead of his career record.

And Walcott is scoring for us at nearly the same pace he scored for Arsenal... once every 5 games for them; once every 6 games for us.

Ajay Gopal
8 Posted 20/12/2018 at 15:01:47
As I have been saying on other threads, I would like to see Silva trying Richarlison, Calvert-Lewin and Lookman as a Front 3, with Sigurdsson or Bernard, Gomes and Davies or Gueye playing deeper. I think we have a good squad; Silva just has to unlock the magic formula.

I have high hopes on Calvert-Lewin and Lookman. For too long, we have been waiting for a lethal strike force – ahh, to have a forward line that can put the opposition defence to the sword!

Jay Harris
9 Posted 20/12/2018 at 15:29:26
Mike,

They may not be underperforming against their previous performances but players in their position need to contribute more goals.

Look at Mane, Mahrez, Sterling, Salah, Pedro, Willan, Martial, Son, Alli, Eriksen – all creative players who have goals in them.

Bernard, for all I love the little fella, couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo and Walcott seems to have lost his scoring boots.

Jim Bennings
12 Posted 21/12/2018 at 16:59:35
Take a look at our options outside of Richarlison and Sigurdsson.

Gomes, Gana, Davies, Schneiderlin, McCarthy, all central midfielders but how many of them look like they have goals in them?

Now let's look at the wide areas.

Walcott, Bernard, Lookman.

Walcott if he found his form could and should be contributing to double figures but Lookman has made 20 appearances in the league for Everton and scored ONE goal so you can't hang your hat on him to score many.

Bernard as someone said is technically pretty sound but looks like Brett Angell in the box.

Tosun is out of things because he's not going to score many as he doesn't figure long term in our plans and will likely be sold sooner rather than later.

Calvert-Lewinhas scored less than 10 Premier League goals in over 18 months so he's hardly the next Harry Kane let's be honest.

The simple answer is we need more goals, full stop... but it's where do you get them from? — because I don't think there is many more within this squad.

Tony Abrahams
13 Posted 21/12/2018 at 17:54:31
Calvert-Lewin really splits opinion, Jim; him and Sigurdsson more than anyone else at the club.

It surprised me to read Lookman has only played 20 first-team games for Everton, but Silva has got to persevere with him, find a purely attacking role for him, and hope the kid begins to flourish, because he's got great ability on the ball and I forgot how inexperienced he really is.

I think Silva should also start using the young players that he feels have got a real chance more often, especially because we keep hearing about a long-term plan.

But our biggest problem is definitely scoring goals because, although results haven't changed away from home against the bigger teams, it's a long time since we have created so many chances at any of these grounds, and who knows how many points we have already lost because we haven't had a real centre-forward, or enough genuine goal scorers in our team?

Gerard McKean
14 Posted 21/12/2018 at 18:17:05
To argue that an Everton player is not underperforming because he's maintained the level of mediocrity that persuaded his previous club to sell him is convoluted nonsense. Theo Walcott, nice lad that he seems to be, is keeping a genuine talent out of the team, and not on merit.

Silva has to be a bit braver in bringing through young, talented and hungry players. Yes Ademola Lookman will endure poor games now and again but if in the bigger picture a guaranteed run of games gives him the confidence to go with his ability he will score goals.

Similarly Calvert-Lewin is playing in arguably the most difficult position for a young player to fully understand. I can see him developing into a first-rate target man who will score goals but never prolifically enough for us not to need a proper “goal hanger” playing off him. Could Lookman fit that bill?

John McFarlane Snr
15 Posted 21/12/2018 at 19:03:54
Hi Tony [13] I'm just home following a successful escape from the physical rehab unit. I'm going to rely on match broadcasts and ToffeeWeb posters, preferring the Abrahams partnership, their views most reflect my own.

I know that the role of the footballer has changed immensely over the years, but I don't believe that players should forsake their natural tendencies too readily. I liken Ademola Lookman to Pat Nevin and if I was in charge of a team containing this type of player, I would be saying, "Stay as near to the penalty area as you can – theirs, not ours"

While believing that a footballer should be able to perform basic skills, I consider it wrong to expect players to excel in unfamiliar positions. I have a little sympathy for all managers because no matter what team they select it's almost inevitable that he will be castigated by a section of the supporters, only a victory will justify his selection.

As we are all aware, we desperately need a goal scorer, our greatest hope is that those whose responsibility it is to recruit players, are as clued up as we are.

I'll close now Tony. because I don't want to expose myself to an overdose of fresh air, I'm told that it addles the brain. If doing cartwheels down the stairs doesn't inspire a ToffeeWeb get together, I don't know what will.

Jim Bennings
16 Posted 21/12/2018 at 19:30:45
It's easy to single out one or two players and say that the goals responsibility relies on this lad or that lad but, at the end of the day, and I've said this all season and over the years it's been the same: as an entire team unit we just aren't clinical in front of goal.

Watching Spurs win at Arsenal on Wednesday night, look at how composed Dele Alli was for the second goal, movement brilliant and his finish was simply sublime.

How many of our players would take that chance if presented in our local derby at Anfield?

We get chances, but we fluff our lines continuously and that can't go on if we are ever serious about progression.

We need more goals from all over the park but when you miss chances like Gomes at Anfield, Calvert-Lewin at Arsenal in September, Richarlison last week at City, Bernard at Chelsea in November and basically Walcott has missed about five one-on-ones this season.

What can you do when players keep on missing guilt-edged chances?

Jay Harris
17 Posted 21/12/2018 at 19:59:20
Its a real problem, Jim, and while we continue to see players show silky skills, some supporters don't recognise that there is no point if we can't score goals.

Better to look bad and score three than look like the Harlem Globetrotters and get beat every game.

Jim Bennings
18 Posted 21/12/2018 at 20:23:10
There lies the problem, Jay.

Too many modern fans these days seem to think a moment of skill on the halfway line is worth more than a dirty scrappy goal.

We face the same problem on Sunday; if we get two glorious chances, we must take them because you can bet your bottom dollar, if Spurs get them and they fall to Kane, Dele Alli or Son, then our net will rustle.

Unless we start scoring, then expect to have this same discussion throughout the season and beyond.

Kieran Kinsella
19 Posted 21/12/2018 at 20:40:47
Mike Gaynes

The EPL stats show Bernard as having had just one assist. I think there was one people tried to claim for him when the keeper punched out his cross but as of now it is 1 assist, no goals in 14 games.

Jonjoe Kenny has 1 assist in 4 games, Morgan has 1 assist in 6 games. In fact of the 11 players who have had assists, Bernard is ranked last in terms of assists per game. So that isn't very impressive.

Tony Abrahams
20 Posted 21/12/2018 at 20:49:05
Why would you say modern day fans Jim? I love skill, it's always been the prime reason that I love football, but I also understand the importance of any goal.

Maybe things will change once we get a goalscorer, because a team will only score so many scrappy goals, and without creativity, I don't think a team will ever score enough goals?

John Mc, you sound like you're in better spirits mate, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear you say you are going to Goodison on New Year's Day? If not, get on the Live Forum, but deffo put some cotton wool in your ears!

Paul Tran
21 Posted 21/12/2018 at 20:57:33
You can throw all the stats at this you like. It's plain to see that we have too many players who don't score goals. Either they'll start scoring or they'll need replacing. My money's on the latter.

Jim Bennings
22 Posted 21/12/2018 at 21:22:15
Tony

I like skill when there’s actually something at the end of it.

When the end product is too often the same frustrating end result then I’d prefer to sacrifice skill for players who can simply score basic goals.

Tony Abrahams
23 Posted 21/12/2018 at 21:56:51
I understand, Jim, it's all about goals at the end of the day, but I'd worry more if the team wasn't creating chances, because that would leave us with an awful lot more work to do, and absolutely nothing to build on.
John McFarlane Snr
24 Posted 21/12/2018 at 22:37:29
Hi Jim [18]

I'm with Tony [20], Danny Blanchflower is on record as the man who coined the phrase, 'The Beautiful Game', and I have to confess that I show my appreciation when an opponent displays a moment of class.

It's my belief that any football lover can't help but recognise and appreciate skill, whoever displays it, although I must admit that I receive a few funny looks when I say "Good ball" to an opposing player, it's as though I've committed an act of treachery.

If I only concentrate on Everton, I feel as though I've missed half a game and been short changed, but I suppose we're all different.

Hi Tony [20],

I am in better spirits, but I'm afraid that, without my zimmer, I wouldn't be able to walk. I think I'll give the Live Forum a miss; I'll watch out for yours and Dave's assessment of games.

Bill Watson
25 Posted 23/12/2018 at 06:02:01
I've been to every game bar the Chelsea one and at almost every one we've drawn, or lost, we've missed really good chances which would probably have changed the result.

I think most of us agree, we need an out-and-out goal-scorer. I couldn't give a fig if that player is skillful or a donkey; if he can score goals, he'll do for me.

Probably our best goalscorers of the last 40-odd years have been Latchford, Cottee, Lineker, Campbell and Lukaku, none of whom were particularly skillful.

So, Mr Brands, if you have anyone on your list whose name begins with a C or an L then go for it!

Kevin Prytherch
26 Posted 23/12/2018 at 07:31:03
Bill (25)

How ironic would it be if it turned out that Calvert-Lewin joined the list of Cs and Ls!!!!

Bill Watson
27 Posted 23/12/2018 at 09:46:28
Kevin # 26

Yes, that did occur to me when I wrote that lol but, unfortunately, I very much doubt it.