An Education for the Future

by   |   14/01/2019  70 Comments  [Jump to last]

A somber preface to an interesting life-decision.

I'm 49 years old. My Dad passed at 64, my best friend's dad at 59, the only company I worked for, before I started my little Ma and Pa Print Shoppe, my boss died at 54. I've had multiple friends pass at 40, 45, etc.

Life is short. I've always told my wife I'm not working a single day past 58. Now, I'll probably get a part time gig so I don't get bored off my ass, but I mean full-time work, I'm done at 58. Too many men in my life have been dead shortly thereafter. There's a lot more to life than work. No one, on their deathbed, said, "I wished I spent more time at work."

To that end, I recently told my wife, in about 9 to 10 years, I want to rent a flat / apartment in Liverpool, live there for 9 months, and follow Everton home and away for a season. It would make me beyond happy, and what an adventure for a man and wife to have.

My wife was on board, she's agreed. So I'm going to do this. Life is odd, it changes, so I could see having to go over for 2-3 months, return, and then go back. Logistics, details for a plan around a decade off. I'll worry about that when the time comes.

What I was wondering is, and I told my wife I could easily get feedback (negative or positive of course) from TW, is this possible?

Can you buy a season ticket pretty much on demand when they go up for sale in the Spring? I don't care if they are nose-bleeder seats. Won't bother me.

I think there's some "merit" system in place to get away tickets? I highly doubt some American dope could simply qualify for away tickets just coming over. Can you buy away tickets on the "black market" so to speak to get a seat(s)?

Is this idea folly? Can it be done?

Anyone with insight, suggestions, etc – admittedly well, well in advance – I'd appreciate it. It'll be good to have a decent background knowledge base to work from.

If it's possible, we're doing it. I don't mind getting old, and now I bizarrely can't wait for 9 to 10 years to pass quickly. :0)

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (70)

Bill Watson
1 Posted 15/01/2019 at 00:52:59
Jamie;

I'm 71 and have followed Everton, home and away, for 60 years. For the past 10 years, or so, I've picked my away matches but, for the last two seasons, I've travelled to most of them.

Why? For the exact same reason as yourself. I've seen family and friends dropping off their perch and my wife's health going west. So, I can afford to travel and do so because this time next week, next month or next season, I may not be able and don't want to be thinking what I should have done when I could.

There's a waiting list of 10,000 for season tickets so get your name down now. You can always decline an offer that comes too soon. You can get tickets for most home matches as an Everton Member (there's a small charge for this). Check it out on the Everton website. If this fails, you can usually get a ticket on Stub Hub, the club's official ticket partner.

Away matches are a bit trickier as you need to build up a loyalty score and it's a Catch-22. It's difficult to get started as you won't have a history and may not have a season ticket. However, all is not lost as ToffeeWeb (and other Everton fan sites) hosts a thread for all away matches where you can buy, or sell, tickets at face, or cost, value.
Have a look at the current posts for Southampton and Huddersfield away to see how it works. These tickets are offered by fans who have a ticket but, for whatever reason, cannot go.

One way to get started on the away match ladder is to watch for midweek games in the south of England when demand is often lower and the tickets may go on general sale.

Hope this helps.

Jamie Crowley
2 Posted 15/01/2019 at 01:22:40
Bill,

Massively helpful. I appreciate that quite a bit. I had no idea there was such a long waiting list for season tickets. That's insane.

I will definitely put my name on the list – soonish. To be honest, I might even pay a few years in advance, and sell the tickets online, just to have them.

Really appreciate the feedback, Bill. Thank you.

My wife's a planner – she'll love sketching out a mid-week trip to the southern part of your country. But she just informed me she'd stay in London while I go the game.

The trip gets more expensive by the minute. ;0)

Derek Thomas
3 Posted 15/01/2019 at 01:32:28
Interesting points, Jamie, I'm some what the same but older and as you say, "You never can tell what the future holds... or doesn't."22 Mike Gayes, John McFarlane etc. have already done a meet and greet.

Michael Kenrick / Lyndon I think you might need to pin a 'Bucket List' thread for these things.

Jamie, why not make it 12 months. A nice round rental period, 1st July - 30th June, this would give you time to settle in prior and move out after your footy travels... and while you're at it, make it earlier too if you can; some of us might not have 10 years...

My target (for various reasons) is August 2024, not sure I'd want, or be able, to push it out much past then.

Jamie Crowley
4 Posted 15/01/2019 at 05:23:54
Derek,

Twelve months is probably the norm for a lease, and we'll look at all those options to be sure. My biggest concern would be where? Where in the city do you settle for that time?

Insofar as making it earlier, with two kids in college and one on his way come June making it three total, financially it'd be irresponsible. Earlier won't happen.

5 Posted 15/01/2019 at 07:50:28
Give me hope, Jo-hana... fantastic to start the day, reading such a positive post, but please don't wish away time though Jamie, my friend!

I've wished it away in the past, but life takes care of us whichever way, and it's lovely to read your thoughts, and I really hope your plans come true.

My own experience of watching Everton and football, is just get to the stadium, and the rest will take care of itself. You seem to be that type of person yourself, Jamie, so get saving mate, and who knows...? You might even bring us some luck!

Steve Ferns
6 Posted 15/01/2019 at 08:18:24
Jamie, speak to the club. Also, if you're going to do this, then I'm sure you'll be prepared to pay a little extra, so why not look at one of the lounges. It's at least 2.5 times the price, but works out at less than £70 a game and as it includes dinner and a programme and a top seat, you might think it's good value. You'll also find that there will be season tickets available.
Rob Halligan
7 Posted 15/01/2019 at 11:39:21
Jamie, there are plenty of well-established letting agencies in and around the Liverpool area. It all depends on what kind of budget you have / you want to spend per month, as to where you would want to live for a few months.

I live about 6 or 7 miles from Goodison, but only about 4 or 5 miles from Bramley-Moore Dock, so getting to either is not a problem for me. There are plenty of properties available for rent around me, the only snag though being the rental fee. The house next door to us was rented out in December for £1,300 per month on a 6-month lease. (I think the minimum length to rent anywhere in Liverpool is a six month lease).

Don't be put off by that though, as there are plenty of properties much cheaper all over the city, so finding anything in your budget range won't be a problem. Obviously, in ten years time, rental fees could increase or decrease.

As for match tickets, who knows in ten years time what the situation will be like? As others have said, get your name down on the season ticket waiting list, but I think there is always tickets available for general sale for most home matches.

Regarding away tickets, its very difficult to get hold of one at the moment if you are not a regular at aways. I go to all the away matches, and believe me, they are usually sold out days after going on sale. Away tickets never go on general sale as far as I know.

Jamie Crowley
8 Posted 15/01/2019 at 14:26:23
Tony, Steve and Rob thanks a ton for the info. Very valuable.

Tony – you're right about time. My comment was one of humo(u)r. It goes by like lightning, I won't rush a thing.

Steve – that lounge might be a very good idea. I think, if the season ticket thing doesn't work out, I'd buy online and mix it up game by game for different "experiences" as it were. But the lounge sounds just fine by me. Whatever gets me in.

Rob – the minimum rent here in Florida is also 6 months. The cost – approx. $1,700 per month – seems exceedingly reasonable to me. That won't be a problem and if there's less expensive, super. To be honest I thought it would be much, much worse.

It sounds like away games are near impossible. I'd pay over the odds to go 1-2 times at least. If you don't mind Rob, what neighborhood are you in? Like what section of the city? I'd like to Google that and check it out.

The resounding suggestion is get the name on the ticket list, and I will definitely heed that call.

I truly appreciate the feedback. The suggestions and info for starters are very helpful.

Rob Halligan
9 Posted 15/01/2019 at 14:54:25
Jamie, Google Allerton / Calderstones area. Or try googling our postcode (zipcode to you): Liverpool 18.
Brian Patrick
10 Posted 15/01/2019 at 15:13:06
My brother died early 50s, my da early 60s I'm in my fifties now, last year I collapsed and was in intensive care. After that, I don't worry about things as much. I'm even trying to change career if they will accept me on a Law course at my age doubtful... but all the best of luck, mate. I will be with you all the way!
Stephen Davies
11 Posted 15/01/2019 at 15:31:17
Jamie...

By the time you want to rent, there will be loads of apartments to rent within walking distance of Bramley-Moore Dock.

Jamie Crowley
12 Posted 15/01/2019 at 19:55:36
Brian – singing from the same hymn sheet.

Stephen – with the development around a new stadium, assuming it gets completed of course, hopefully you're right and you should be. That'd be mint.

Rob Dolby
13 Posted 15/01/2019 at 20:23:35
Sometimes I have to remind myself how lucky we are to be able to get to the game live even though a lot of the time we walk out shaking our heads. When we have lots of fans abroad who can only dream of getting to Goodison.

In 9 years time, surely we have moved out of "transition" and onto the delivery phase? Unless Moshiri has an epiphany and decides to buy a Russian team to compete in the newly formed super duper euro league.

I would love to follow the test match team around the globe in retirement.
It's good to dream I wish you all the best Jamie.

14 Posted 15/01/2019 at 20:58:12
Let me know about that law course, Brian, just incase I need you someday!

Jamie, Stephen is right, so instead of trying to buy a season ticket now, why don't you buy a flat near Bramley-Moore Dock, whilst you are getting top money for your dollar!

Andy Crooks
15 Posted 15/01/2019 at 21:45:58
I just love your plan, Jamie. Believe me, though, Tony is right, something happens when you reach 50 and the speed of time accelerates.

Why not arrange a scouting mission? You could justify the expense (to yourself) as pre retirement planning. We could have a spectacular get together at the Midland and, like the great Mike G put names to the faces. In fact bring him with you.

I worked and lived in Manchester in the eighties, never set foot in Old Trafford but went to Maine Road a few times. I was lucky enough to see Everton most home games and many away. Liverpool was different then but not the people. Then and now they were and are the finest. They were happy days.

I can't give you any practical advice, Jamie, but believe me you have a dream worth following. The Blues I was privileged to meet before Christmas are top men. Let's get together with them!!

Jamie Crowley
16 Posted 15/01/2019 at 22:54:40
Andy -

I couldn't agree more. Life does, however, get in the way.

The wife and I are committed to the long term plan. We're pretty conservative people, but when we say, "let's do it" we frankly just friggin' do it [eventually]. Surely that's going to mean some pre-excursion over there to get a lay of the land, as it were.

I've batted that around in my head quite a bit, and desire to try to get over to Goodison before it closes / whatever they do with it. But to do that in the next few years will be nary impossible. If Goodison is around in 3-4 year's time - and I think it will be still - we'll probably jet over for like 5 days and do a hell of a lot of exploring. We'll just go and constantly explore, finding "preferable" spots to make a longer extended stay when the time comes, with the very valuable advice of TWers and a friend of mine who hails from Formby, and another from the Wirral.

And see a minimum of one Everton game (of course), and one Burnley game - the wife's team - on that much shorter expedition.

And, tourist-style, take the Beatles tour. I know it's cheesy as hell, but I love the Beatles. Gotta eat some of these pie thingys, and have a bowl of Scouse - which sounds like Irish stew to me, but we'll see.

I hate flying. I'll be absolutely jacked with alcohol when I get off the plane. I believe it's a 9 hour flight, and I'll be lit up for 9 straight hours to get over there. I'll have to budget hundreds for cocktails.

And, I won't make the "Gaynes mistake" of not bringing cash to a bar. Had I not read Mike Gaynes' piece on buying drinks, only to find you can't use plastic in a bar, I'd have definitely made the exact same error. What the hell is that anyway? Can't use a card? Can't figure that one out, but when in Rome. . . CASH!

I'm a minimum 3-4 years out at this time on any trip overseas. if I'm, God forbid, diagnosed with poor health, you can be assured I'll be over this coming weekend. ;0) But let's pray that doesn't happen.

A get-together when the day comes, Andy, is a slam dunk for me. Chances of that are up there with death and taxes - it'll happen.

Might only be you and I and the wife, but we'll make a go of it if that's the case, like there were hundreds at a gala. :0)

Oh, and while I'm over there on the trip of a lifetime, extended 9 mos / year stay, I plan on heading to Belfast at some point, along with a lot of other trips to your island. Some down south, some up north. When I hit Belfast, which is where I believe you're at, I'll expect warm hospitality, a shit-ton of Jamesons, and an assist of bail if I get tossed in the clink.

Rob Halligan
17 Posted 15/01/2019 at 23:19:32
Jamie, there are plenty of bars where you can use cards to pay for drinks, just not all of them.

If you're interested in the Beatles, then you must get on the Beatles tour, which takes in, amongst others, Penny lane, Strawberry Field, Mendips where Lennon lived as a kid, and Forthlin Road where McCartney lived. Where I live, all of these tourist attractions are no more than 15 minute walk away, about 20 - 25 minutes in the case of McCartney's house.

John Pierce
18 Posted 15/01/2019 at 00:01:53
Umbrella, mac, & credit card. That's really all you need. As long as you gave some wicked banter should get you all the tickets you need.

Get in with the right peeps and you can get to many an away game for sure.

It's also quite swampy on the Wirral at place called Parkgate. Bring an inflatable Alligator and it will feel like home in case you get homesick.

Derek Thomas
19 Posted 15/01/2019 at 00:21:37
Jamie somebody's already mentioned Calderstones / L18, which is spitting distance from Lennon's house. My other tip might be Crosby or Ainsdale, near to stations and, If you're into golf you can play THREE of the Open Courses: Birkdale, Hoylake and Lytham which are 15 mins, 45 mins and 70 mins away by car... depending on traffic and how fast you drive.

Also, why not fly in via Dublin, see the sights and take in the Guinness tour.

Don Alexander
20 Posted 16/01/2019 at 00:27:31
Jamie, I wuz born in the "one-eyed city", Birkenhead, and these days I'd definitely consider living over the river in Cheshire (there's a number of historic towns), not Lancashire.

For one thing Liverpool looks stunning from across the river but there's nicer places to easily visit in Cheshire, and Chester has a visible history going back to the Romans and beyond. Getting to Liverpool across the river is a doddle.

Liverpool's great... Raw, but great, but living a year there would require a very steely constitution in my opinion, and I lived there for years after my birth.

By the time you get here, you'll need more than a year though, in order to see our Champions League campaign!

Paul Ferry
21 Posted 16/01/2019 at 05:04:33
Will the four Crowley boys be joining you Jamie mate?

Crosby is a good shout. Pete Mills will be your guide and its 16-18 mins to Liverpool Central. I have been over twice this season and both times easily got tickets for aways by the means others have suggested,

I also still have a season ticket despite living in the States since 2000 that I let a mate have who is unemployed disabled on the understanding that I go when home and get - the real reason - the cup final ticket.

If you don't get a season ticket, you and Tony can share mine.

Brilliant post JC, It's a truly amazing and rightfully proud city.

22 Posted 16/01/2019 at 07:56:20
I reckon someone has put a patch on your other eye if you think Liverpool, is raw, Don!
Dave Abrahams
23 Posted 16/01/2019 at 12:41:26
Jamie, first of all, don't worry about snuffing it, you can't stop it, just enjoy life.

I think my son Tony cracked it for you, just buy a flat now, on Merseyside, and rent it out, that should take care of the mortgage, until you decide to have a year here, then sell it, you'll have enjoyed your stay and made a decent profit.

Mind you, you might decide to stay here, possibly, you and your wife, on the other hand might not be glad to get back to America quick enough, but you'll have made sure you achieved your dream of watching the Blues live.

Whatever you decide, good luck and good health for the future.

John Pierce
24 Posted 16/01/2019 at 15:05:14
Dave, if only it were that easy; the IRS have a monster over-reaching hand.
They tax every aspect of the dream second property overseas

Jamie Crowley
25 Posted 16/01/2019 at 15:07:25
Some brilliant posts and I appreciate all of you.

Paul Ferry mate - out of hibernation! Flattered you posted and good to hear from you. I'll take a hell of a lot of solace that you've had no issues getting tickets when you go back. The FIVE Crowley boys (short-changed me on there brother!) will stay home. By the time we're talking about doing this, some of them will have their own kids most likely! If it comes to needing tickets, I appreciate greatly your offer and will reach out when the day comes. Thanks friend.

Rob, Derek, and Don - I checked out a ton of stuff last night online. Just decided to research for a few hours. I checked all the areas you mentioned and they all look wonderful. The true value of the feedback and suggestions is in the areas I might not have considered - like Crosby and especially the one-eyed / I'd city of Birkenhead across the river. I probably wouldn't have even thought to do that Don, so appreciate your suggestion and feedback as I will definitely check that out when the time comes. And DT - the golf is definitely a thing with me. Big selling point that! I used to, back in the dark ages, shoot generally between 78 and 82 depending of course on the slope. I was like a 4 to 6 handicap. Now, having given up the game due to the gaggle of children I have, if I break 90 I'm absolutely thrilled. The short-game goes to hell when you don't play regularly.

To the Abrahams Clan - buying a flat and renting it is a lovely idea. Speculative real estate pre-Brexit and with a world economy still fragile and in need of "correction", coupled with long-distance land lord responsibilities means I'm going to pass. But a fine idea and investment it must be said on the whole. I like your thinking.

And finally, Rob - TYVM you're a wealth of knowledge. You're like TW's Welcome Wagon dude.

Sir John Pierce - the inflatable alligator will absolutely be my carry-on when we make the trip. I've a feeling the swamp over there will be about 40 to 50 degrees colder however!

Mike Gaynes
26 Posted 16/01/2019 at 15:41:35
Jamie, sorry it took me two days to get around to reading this, but congratulations on reaching your decision. We all know folks who have made unexpected early departures, and finding yourself ticketed for The Last Flight Out is pretty disconcerting (even if you manage to miss the plane, like me and Brian #10), so I think it's terrific that you're committing to taking this plunge.

You're already in touch with the best sources of information and support I found -- Rob, Pete and the Abrahams family -- so go for it and please keep us posted on your progress. (BTW Pete and Sheila declined my request that they adopt me as another son, so their spare bedroom in Crosby is still open, and the pastie shop around the corner is great.)

Thanks for mentioning again my financial faux pas in the Midland, and I'm glad you're taking the appropriate lesson from it. Of course, by the time you make it over for your magic season, England might be on a barter economy.

Mazel tov!

Peter Warren
27 Posted 16/01/2019 at 15:59:04
Great read and good luck.

Like someone else said, I'd look to stay in Ainsdale personally which is a small village, since planning on staying a year, cheap accommodation and nice and 35-minute drive or train journey to the city centre of Liverpool.

Ray Said
28 Posted 16/01/2019 at 16:28:49
What a great thread demonstrating the family of blues. If the team was half as great as the supporters, we would win the Premier League every year.
29 Posted 16/01/2019 at 17:24:04
Everyone has their own favourite place, but were George McKane resides, might just be the place for you Jamie?

Across the water, looking straight at “our new stadium”, might just be the place to stay mate.

I haven't been reading the last few pre-match threads so I don't know if George, has been posting. If he has, I'm missing out, and if he hasn't, I hope he's alright, and he might even come on to tell Jamie how nice New Brighton really is.

Dermot Byrne
30 Posted 16/01/2019 at 18:07:36
I have a belief that life is what happens when you are worrying about something else Jamie!

Love your plans.

Steve Ferns
31 Posted 16/01/2019 at 18:25:14
Jamie, I'd thoroughly recommend renting in the centre of the city. I used to live in the “business quarter” (until very recently) and could help you if you need some guidance.

Where I lived was quiet of an evening and weekend, ie, when the offices are shut, and yet 5 minutes walk and you're at Liverpool One and near all the bars.

You could pick up a 2-bed apartment for less than others are saying too. Also by living in the city you'd save a fortune on transport. As a city, Liverpool is compact, you can walk from one side of the city centre to the other in less than 30 minutes.

And to make you feel at home, there's a Costco closer than any supermarket and it's in the direction of the new ground.

City centre is definitely the way to go. It's vibrant and thriving, but pick the right place like the business quarter and you can still get peace and quiet and a good night's sleep.

If you wonder where it is, then google the Liverpool Post and Echo on Old Hall Street or Pall Mall as this is the section of the city centre deemed the business district and the part where the nicest properties are.

Message me on Twitter, link from my article if you want a more personal chat.

Jamie Crowley
32 Posted 16/01/2019 at 18:37:52
Steve Ferns - and others I will respond when time permits - I'll probably reach out when the time comes. I'll note the Twitter account and probably just "follow" you so I have it for the future.

Your idea is basically, without being there, exactly what I want. By choice I lived in a city as a young man having moved out on my own - Minneapolis, MN, and Pittsburgh, PA.

My wife, after we decided to move to Florida 15 years ago told me she wanted a cul-de-sac with the kids being so young. I'm not the biggest fan of that, but have grown to enjoy its positive aspects.

But I'm leaning very, very heavily on the side of the city. What you're describing is very much what I envisage and want.

I told the wife, "We've done this suburb crap, we're going city for this adventure." We'll see if I win the argument or she does. She's a brilliant person and wife, and I think after me making the concession to go suburban, she'll let me have my short-term urban life.

I might go over there and love a village as well. All this is part of the joy of an adventure into the unknown. But I'm going to put your idea top of the list, as it's ideal to my mind.

TYVM for the input Steve.

Steve Ferns
33 Posted 16/01/2019 at 18:44:57
Jamie, definitely hit me up. I'd be happy to help you. And yeah, the wife's wants will have to be front and centre if this is all about your desire regarding following the blues, because I guess that's not top of her list, and I know all about being with a football widow.

Liverpool is a lot of things to a lot of different people. She will find something she absolutely loves. Few have a bad word to say about the city, particularly those that live here.

Also, you need to live in the centre to see how truly metropolitan it is these days. There was people from all over the world in my building.

I promise you that 9 months will not be long enough to “do it all” as well. People still surprise me with places and I've lived in the area all my life, and in the city centre for 15 years, so you'd think I'd have seen it all.

34 Posted 16/01/2019 at 18:51:35
This is getting better by the hour, this thread, Jamie, and you've got me wishing time away myself now, mate!

"In the CIty, there's a thousand things I want to say to you..." I'm even listening to The Jam again, for the first time in years, because of this thread!

Steve Ferns
35 Posted 16/01/2019 at 18:52:44
Can’t beat a bit of Weller, Tony.
Rob Halligan
36 Posted 16/01/2019 at 19:17:02
Jamie, if it's village life you're after, then Hale village near Liverpool airport is the place you want. Hundreds of thatched cottages (well not quite hundreds), a couple of decent pubs, which both accept payment by card, and a decent stroll down to the lighthouse on the bank of the river Mersey, miles away from Bramley-Moore Dock though.

The only snag with living there is you're right on the flight path into the airport. Google Hale village and have a look. It's an interesting place.

37 Posted 16/01/2019 at 19:17:42
You do something to me, Steve, is deffo what Everton are doing to Jamie, right now!

I love things like this, and I always envisaged living in Thailand for four months out of every year once I hit my fifties, but life changes and five-year-old twins put paid to my plans.

They are keeping me young but they sap my energy at the same time – just like Everton do, I suppose!

Peter Mills
38 Posted 17/01/2019 at 10:30:12
Jamie, I suspect such a venture might knock a year or two off your life expectancy, but it would be well worth it.

Incidentally, if all else fails, our basement is currently unoccupied.

Eric Myles
39 Posted 17/01/2019 at 10:44:43
Tony,

Thailand's not all it's cracked up to be so you're not missing much.

I should know... I've been there 24 years.

Michael Lynch
40 Posted 17/01/2019 at 11:05:37
Since it's your money not mine, I'd rent a place in Central London – probably around Fitzrovia cos it's handy for Euston station and is getting a bit trendy – and get a first class rail ticket up to Lime Street for the match every other week.

Stay over at the soon-to-be-built Dixie Dean hotel, grab a Sunday roast and see a bit of jazz in the afternoon at the Caledonian pub then a snooze on the train on the way back to the capital.

Spend the week enjoying everything the big smoke has to offer – and right now, pre-brexit of course, it's pretty much the capital of the world culturally. And there's usually at least half a dozen away games in London every season, so you won't even have to travel for those.

Here's a flat that might work for you:

Martin Nicholls
41 Posted 17/01/2019 at 12:45:59
Steve #33 – how very true your point about not having "seen it all" despite living in the City is!

I'm 68 and have lived on Merseyside all my life. I spent my teenage years (1960s) living in the Penny Lane area and attending Liverpool Institute school in City Centre – with the obvious Beatles connections to both, Jamie will be green with envy!

I'm in my 57th season as a matchgoing Blue and, as well as being a season ticket holder, go to many away games.

Going back to my original comment about (not) having "seen it all", I've never visited any of the Beatles' former homes, never been to the Grand National and indeed (this is sacrilege!) never even seen Rupert's Tower! I should I suppose put these on my own "to do list"!

Good luck to you Jamie C – I sincerely hope your plans come to fruition.

Eddie Dunn
42 Posted 17/01/2019 at 13:46:46
Jamie, great article but get over to do a reccie and get a taste for it all.

As others have said home tickets can usually be got, I recently got one through the club for Crystal Palace, but he more "attractive" games will always be harder to get. Stubhub is a decent place, but you often get tickets on this site from folk who can't go.

Aways are harder, as explained above, but if you don't mind sitting with home fans you can look at opponent's websites for availability or failing that, just go to the venue, get there early and either ask at the Everton end for "spares" (there are often lads on the coaches who's mate hasn't showed who are desperate to sell the spare ticket. You can also have a wander around the ground asking strangers if they have any spares.

I've had loads of tickets this way, even on sell-outs.

Jamie Crowley
43 Posted 17/01/2019 at 15:29:03
Michael @ 40,

Funniest post yet. If I hit the lottery, I'll be sure to follow your plan. £2,500 per week – seriously, who lives like that? And the better question: why?

Eddie @ 42,

I'd go to an away game and just try for "spares". Wouldn't bother me at all. I've always said, bar the Super Bowl (or insert whatever massive sporting event in Europe you prefer) you can get into any game if you'll pay and if you get there early. The more I consider it, the less worried I am about the away games.

My wife said, "so if you go and can't get a ticket, go watch the game at the nearby bar!" Yup.

Martin @ 41,

Thanks for the good luck wishes, and yes, I'll never, ever be able to "do it all." But I'll try like hell to check a ton of boxes.

Cheers to all. Massive education and I greatly appreciate all the input and feedback.

Brent Stephens
44 Posted 17/01/2019 at 16:16:41
Jamie, I don't know if this has been said on this thread but, if you do try to get a ticket in the home section for one of our away games, you often (usually? always?) need to be a registered member of the relevant club where we are playing – so get registered well beforehand.
Jamie Crowley
45 Posted 17/01/2019 at 17:02:24
Brent – no that hadn't been said to my knowledge. Thank you for that!

Not exactly sure how to do that, but it should be simple enough at the official site.

There's definitely a few more hoops to jump through in England compared to America. None of it too big a deal. It'll all work out.

Had the conversation yesterday with the Mrs. “Well, if we hold off on [insert home project / other expenditure here], we might be able to swing it in a year or two...”

Conversation has got the blood pumping.

46 Posted 17/01/2019 at 17:07:52
Thanks, Eric, it's made me feel a lot better that mate!

Darren Hind
47 Posted 17/01/2019 at 19:19:00
My neighbour is always spouting of about the commitment and loyalty of a Dutch kopite he has become pally with who flies over half a dozen times a season to watch RS "What other club commands that sort of support?"

Wait till he hears about The Yank who crosses the ocean and stays here so he can see EVERY game.

Sounds like you got very lucky when you met that Missus of yours, Jamie.

Dave Abrahams
48 Posted 17/01/2019 at 19:43:03
Tony (46), I think Thailand would suit you fine, especially for four months every year. That Eric (39) wants to mind his own business.
Len Hawkins
49 Posted 17/01/2019 at 20:01:22
Have you thought of a house swap? There may be a Season Ticket holder who fancies a year in Florida... win-win both ways.
50 Posted 17/01/2019 at 20:08:41
He's telling lies, Dave, it's a brilliant place, full of peace, laughter, great weather and tranquility — which probably explains why he's been there 24 years, even if he's trying to play it down.
51 Posted 17/01/2019 at 20:15:11
I missed that great idea, Len, but I'd hate not to see me mar, for twelve months, even if I'd love to feed Dave, to the crocodiles, especially now he's gone deaf, and ToffeeWeb, being the only way to have a conversation with him these days!
Dave Abrahams
52 Posted 17/01/2019 at 20:15:52
Tony (50),

“It's a brilliant place, full of peace, laughter, great weather and tranquility” — no kiddin'! You'd soon put a stop to all that if you got there.

Mike Gaynes
53 Posted 17/01/2019 at 21:11:23
Tony, you obviously like warm beaches and warm... companionship.

Dave, I love when you two post back-to-back. Bit of insight as to what the dinner table must have been like at your house back in the day.

Neil Copeland
54 Posted 17/01/2019 at 21:13:09
Jamie, great post and funny how do many of us have the same idea. I have re-started my journey which stalled in the late eighties. I have a ticket for the Southampton game and trying to build up match credits. Home games are not an issue as I have a season ticket.

Have you considered waiting until the new stadium dates are known so you can spend say the second half of our last season at Goodison Park and the first half of the following season at Bramley-Moore Dock? That scenario would be sure to provide lots of memories.

Although from Liverpool originally I am a Crosville scouser these days having moved away 25 years ago to leafy Cheshire. I live near Nantwich which is approx 1hour via road to Goodison Park and slightly less to Bramley-Moore Dock. Crewe is 20 mins away, from where, you can travel to just about anywhere in the UK via train. Nightlife not even close to what the city can offer but lots of nice properties to rent at reasonable prices and the country pub/restaurants are very good.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do but as others have said, don't leave it too late.

Mike Gaynes
55 Posted 17/01/2019 at 21:19:12
Jamie, regarding Rob's post about thatched-roof cottages in Hale Village, you'll be happy to know I've been doing some online research for you.

You can thank me later.

Brian Patrick
56 Posted 17/01/2019 at 21:21:16
Michael Lynch. London- ‘cultural capital of the world’’. Hilarious...
Neil Copeland
57 Posted 17/01/2019 at 21:38:14
I used to live in a thatched house that dated back to 1675. Very nice but had an eerie feel to it.

By the way; Thatched houses have no gutters (they would become blocked with reeds from the roof) and get very wet around the outside when it drains.

James Marshall
58 Posted 17/01/2019 at 21:48:54
My first thought was a visa — if you're a US citizen Jamie, you can only stay in the UK for 6 months as a tourist. If you work/earn you would need to apply for a visa which may or may not be granted.

Just a thought, mate.

Neil Copeland
59 Posted 17/01/2019 at 22:01:32
I can just picture Goodison being surrounded by UK Customs and Immigration officers.
Jamie Crowley
60 Posted 17/01/2019 at 23:06:16
Mike Gaynes – too damn funny! Love it. The wife would never go for a thatched roof. Her idea of the outdoors is life without air conditioning!

James Marshall, Saver of Long Vacations, thank you! Six months won't cut the mustard. That's going to take some research as I had zero idea that there was a 6-month cap! I wonder why? An open-ended question like that can get ripped to shreds, but, in a serious moment, why?

Why would an American only be allowed to stay in England 6 months? I find that weird. We're talking, and I'm not trying to be Ugly American here, Americans! Cousins at best, that annoying obnoxious Uncle at worst, but surely not a security problem?!

I'll seriously have to look into that. I wonder if a return trip home for a week or so would "reset" the clock and you get a fresh 6 months? I dunno... need to investigate that for sure thanks a ton for the input! I wonder if there is an application for an extension? I'll check all that out to be sure. Bit of a buzz-kill if you sign a year lease, only to find you're being deported after 6 months! Think I might need to network and get some contacts in the State Department to finesse a visa... we'll see.

I don't have a visa or a passport. The wife has been overseas, but I've only been west of the Mississippi River twice in my life! Went to Canada a few times, but that's like going to North Dakota, FFS.

Will look into that for sure. Probably should have been the first step, but that's why you reach out in these instances, to learn and try to get it all correct up front. Thanks James.

Darren Hind – the Lady is a gem. You'll meet her someday. I hit the lottery.

Mike Gaynes
61 Posted 17/01/2019 at 00:11:49
Jamie, no passport? You do realize you're a stereotype to us West Coast elites, right?
Jamie Crowley
62 Posted 18/01/2019 at 05:07:51
Peter Mills @ 38 -

I didn't catch it the first couple times around, but. . .

Incidentally, if all else fails, our basement is currently unoccupied.

I believe this is a reference to the Gimp Suit that Mike would still be wearing had we pulled it off at Mordor. HILARIOUS!

I'm not into gimp suits, Peter, but thanks for the offer.

"Honey! I found a room for completely free near Liverpool! There's one caveat dear. . . You and I will have a dress code. . ."

Mike Gaynes
63 Posted 18/01/2019 at 07:14:52
Okay, so what the hell is a gimp suit?
Martin Faulkner
64 Posted 18/01/2019 at 07:38:08
Mike,

"Bring out the gimp" — Pulp Fiction

Laurie Hartley
65 Posted 18/01/2019 at 07:54:31
Jamie Crowley – what an Evertonian!

Dave & Tony Abrahams – you two don't fool me. Look after him, Tony – there is only one of him. ;)

66 Posted 18/01/2019 at 09:05:18
Thank God!
67 Posted 18/01/2019 at 09:08:51
Hopefully another mis-conception, Mike, a bit like why everyone loves Thailand, I suppose!
Peter Mills
69 Posted 18/01/2019 at 10:30:00
I knew you'd get it in the end, Jamie – your fellow colonialist had a lucky escape!
Michael Lynch
70 Posted 18/01/2019 at 10:34:35
To get round the 6-month visa thing you're probably going to have to marry someone while you're over here. I'm sure you'll get a few offers from some of the single lads on here.

Not sure how you're going to explain this to the missus though, but she sounds very understanding if she's prepared to move to Liverpool for nine months just so you can join the rest of us booing the team on.

I would suggest telling her about the gimp suit in the basement first, then move on to the whole visa issue. You might find the mention of the former will remove the problem of the latter.

71 Posted 18/01/2019 at 11:01:22
Fucken hell, Michael, what d'ya call a handsome Paki? Asif!

Has if Jamie's wife would still want to come if she knew about this? Talk about killing the dream!