Stick or Twist? Over to you, Denise

by   |   09/02/2019  13 Comments  [Jump to last]

First of all, can I say, I have no axe personally to grind with Denise Barrett-Baxendale. But once again, Blue Bill in all of his West End pomp, quickly labelled her 'litle Miss Dynamite' at a recent Philharmonic Hall production, due to be released on wide screen soon.

I wonder how much influence and input, she will really have into the short and long term future of Marco Silva?

As CEO, she really SHOULD be instrumental in deciding just how much longer the club can afford to support him as we slip closer and closer to the dreaded 'relegation zone'.

Make no mistake, if results continue the way they have been, we will be in the bottom five come the end of March, then it's twitchy arse time.

Sadly, I have now come to accept that this manager is well capable of relegating us. His total demeanour is of passive acceptance as to what is going on around him. I simply believe he has ran out of ideas, certainly in terms of team selection.

Two thirds of the season gone, and he is still searching for his 'best eleven', not a chance I'm afraid, he's clutching at straws, and the player's know it to.

So what now, how far does the team have to sink before someone hits the panic button and pulls the plug.

Not only that, if god forbid, the club WAS relegated, forget any more about a new stadium at Bramley-Moore Dock in the near future. Revenues would drop like a stone, not only attendances, but potential sponsorships, naming rights, the idea of attracting more corporate packages everything would stop if we ended up in the Championship.

It's a case now of who blinks first.

Over to you, Denise.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (13)

Davie Turner
1 Posted 10/02/2019 at 04:03:02
I would presume any final decision would be between Moshiri, Brands and Barrett-Baxendale rather than wholly on the CEO. As for if that decision is made, we'll only know if they sack him. They may have already met, have their own timeframes or not even think it a consideration at this time. We'll never know really.
Alan J Thompson
2 Posted 10/02/2019 at 05:54:19
Dave (#1); I would suggest that they have already had that meeting hence Moshiri's statement that Silva needs time and why it's known as the curse of the Chairman's vote of confidence.
Peter Barry
3 Posted 10/02/2019 at 06:03:37
Silva has to go. He shows absolutely no signs of being able to turn things around and further delay would only leave the new manager with possibly too little time to turn it around and we might still get relegated.
Brian Patrick
5 Posted 10/02/2019 at 08:13:59
God help us if we have to rely on someone with zero competence... Jesus wept!
Stan Schofield
6 Posted 10/02/2019 at 09:25:38
I think that Little Miss Dynamite is just another Everton 'ship passing in the night' member of the hierarchy. I can't imagine the likes of people such as that are at all significant in influencing our results on the pitch positively.

As such, irrelevant to the issues at hand, apart from being a symptom of a deeper (underlying) problem with Everton.

Clive Rogers
7 Posted 10/02/2019 at 14:05:27
Have to agree about Silva's team selection. It's now pick any three from six, the six being Walcott, Bernard, Lookman, Richarlison, Tosun and Calvert-Lewin. This is even though he has clearly decided that at least five of them are just not good enough.

He has not helped himself by loaning out youngsters who may have helped. Dowell was excellent yesterday against Villa, making two goals, and I am sure Holgate would have provided a useful option in defence while it seems that Mina is just not Premier League standard.

Jerome Shields
8 Posted 10/02/2019 at 17:23:07
You think Denise knows something about football?
Jon Withey
9 Posted 10/02/2019 at 19:11:26
I think somebody like Moyes could make a mean defence from Mina, Keane and Zouma myself.

Remember how bad Distin became once Martinez was in charge?

Anyway, I think we are getting to the point where we need a manager who can get the best out of what we have got – we can't spaff another £100m.

Ian Edwards
10 Posted 12/02/2019 at 00:32:49
Back in 2010, I did an article stating in my opinion than David Moyes was worse than Walker, worse than Smith, worse than Bingham. Most people took issue and came running to the defence of Dreary Dave. Looking back, I remain of the view that I was right. The football was dire, the tactics were negative, and every game seemed to be one up front, try to nick a goal, and defend for the rest of the game. We gave up trying to win any big away game.

Nine years on, we have many fans saying Moyes should return. It may come as a shock that I believe those fans may be right. I'm not a Moyes fan by any means and two weeks ago, I said in a forum that he shouldn't come back but the club needs stabilising and rescuing from the man that is undoubtedly the worst Manager in the club's history: Marco Silva. If Moyes can come in just as Caretaker until the end of the season, then it may not be a bad thing.

Who was it that said only a fool does the same thing every time and expect a different outcome? Silva persists with the same uncreative formation game after game. It has failed to break down most teams at home.

The tactics are always the same with zonal marking from hell. Over 30% of set-pieces against us result in a goal which carries on Silva's shocking stats from Hull and Watford.

Our best defender, Mason Holgate, has gone out on loan. Our most creative midfielder, Kieran Dowell, is also out on loan. The formation is always the same. One forward with no support not getting any service. Two holding midfielders at home. A left back that can't defend and won't track back and gives needless free-kicks away. Ineffective and out-of-form wingers.

The substitutions are always the same. Winger off and winger on. Forward off and forward on. If we are winning with 10 mins to play a midfielder comes off and another defender comes on. An example was the derby which resulted in the initiative being passed to Liverpool. The negative substitution caused the team to sit back and we were penned in and ultimately paid for it.

I can't see where the next win will come from. We can't defend and fail to create. Cardiff have found form; Liverpool will destroy us in the derby. I can't see anything other than defeats at home to Manchester United and Arsenal.

Marco Silva – who is worse than Walker, worse than Smith and worse than Bingham – must be sacked inmediately.

Derek Thomas
11 Posted 12/02/2019 at 00:56:08
Ian Edwards @ 10; I think the decision is already made, or at least narrowed down to a series of 'if no, if yes' go to this box, 'if no, if yes' go to the next box. Etc.

If yes, he would've gone on Monday. If no, I hope they are a) looking; and b) taking it on a game by game basis

I'm not sure Moyes is the answer, what ever the question is.

In a Kenwright production of Fantasy Island, Moyes would come in with Rooney as his assistant.

Roman Sidey
12 Posted 12/02/2019 at 01:16:38
If Brands knows what he's doing (assuming football decisions are conceived with him), he'd have a shortlist of potential future managers regardless of how the current manager is going.

To take from a different sport, it's believed that the All Blacks always have their next four head-coaches pretty much decided on. I know football is a different landscape, but a club like Everton should always have a Plan B, C, & D in terms of management.

Henry Lloyd
13 Posted 13/02/2019 at 02:36:09
Ian @10

That is a very good post mate and it's hard to disagree with a single word you have said and the statistics are all bang on.

Getting Moyes back in to steady the ship till the end of the season is feasible but I do not think it would suit either party... However, in the short-term I would not complain about it at all.

Like you, I believe Silva is without a shadow of doubt the worst manager in the history of Everton Football Club.

I have repeatedly called for his head – I started directly after the Spurs humiliation!!!

I fully believe that, if we suffer defeat to Cardiff, then there is absolutely no other option except to sack him.

Rob Dolby
14 Posted 14/02/2019 at 10:12:14
If Moyes is the answer then the question must be: Who shat on the club from a great height after we made him a millionaire, leaving us without any compensation whilst also labeling us a small club when poaching two of our best players?

No thanks – I suffered 11 years of mediocrity at his hands. I would sooner give up on 41 years as a season ticket holder and walk away if he came back.

Back to the OP. Barrett-Baxendale wouldn't have a scooby about sacking Silva – that will be Brands's and Moshiri's job.