Why do remain a Blue?

by   |   17/02/2019  46 Comments  [Jump to last]

My good friend in LA has asked why, despite people like us being long-suffering, we remain loyal to our football team?

He feels that if Everton (well Sunderland in fact) were a USA team their attendance would have dwindled to the absolute hard core fans!

Over the years, and even more so recently, Everton has ushered in some very miserable moments. Moments made worse by the achievements of Liverpool. They have given very little in return for my love and commitment.

Despite this, if a government census asked about my identity, and gave two options, British or Evertonian, I’d pick Evertonian every time. Yet I don’t think I could justify my decision apart from ‘I just am’!

So why do you remain a Blue?

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (46)

Ralph Basnett
2 Posted 17/02/2019 at 05:52:09
Easy really – eternal optimism, the love of the underdog. That's why it is easy to be an Everton Ian, but ridiculously hard to give them up.

Every year, I state that I am not renewing my season ticket, then go online and pay; every week, I moan and say I'm not coming back until whatever is current at the time has changed... only to come straight back.

We can at least chat about our history as that is all we have had for a long time and for the foreseeable future, but it's still more than others.

To be an Evertonian is to be loyal to the hilt, expecting just 100% and having to accept much less, it is to be given hope for that hope to be wrestled away at the nearer opportunity.

But still we still remain!!!!!

Mike Galley
3 Posted 17/02/2019 at 08:48:51
Eternal optimism? Sorry to disagree with you Ralph but I'm eternally pessimistic where the blues are concerned!!!

Why do remain Blues? For me, it's probably a combination of things. Family tradition, force of habit, sense of love/loyalty?

I guess one of the main reasons is that the game is still a social event for me and the lads. I'm 49 and still going the game with mates from school, although you'll find us in The Railway pub at 1:30 rather than at the Park End carpark trying to get Sharpie's autograph – like we did about 35 years ago!!!!

Like all of us, I wouldn't change my support for any other club in the world!!

Darren Hind
4 Posted 17/02/2019 at 10:29:25
Hope
Colin Glassar
5 Posted 17/02/2019 at 10:38:31
Multiple personality disorder.
Alan McGuffog
6 Posted 17/02/2019 at 11:15:00
Maybe attitudes to sport are different in USA. Here, you support Everton because you support Everton. Simple as.

I would never take seriously anyone who changed allegiance just to bask in glory.

Guess this is why we have 90 odd professional sides in England... because people identify with their home town club whatever.

Anton Walsh
7 Posted 17/02/2019 at 11:55:30
Brainwashed from when we are nippers. Not just Evertonians but all football fans. What else could make you feel so gutted when you lose and so happy when you win. Sky has only made it more so.

Should it really have that much of a grip on us? Sky and the press love to play us off against each other and play on the tribal thing to do it whilst milking us for all they can. Take now for instance, it looks like we won't go down and won't get in Europe so my main concern now is The Dark side get beat.

I'm sure others feel the same. It's sad when we get our kicks from the demise of others. Footie as we knew it has gone. I would love to see Sky go bust and return to how it was. That includes inferior players and waterlogged pitches.

Andy Crooks
8 Posted 17/02/2019 at 12:06:07
You sign up for life. Like the mafia I suppose.
Paul Tran
9 Posted 17/02/2019 at 12:13:04
Supporting Everton is part of me. That's it.
Dennis Stevens
10 Posted 17/02/2019 at 12:22:28
Just lucky, I guess. I always feel sorry for people who aren't Evertonians. Although, over the last couple of decades I've also felt increasingly sorry for those of us who are!
Sean Patton
11 Posted 17/02/2019 at 12:30:59
I'm a masochist, I guess.
Brian Williams
12 Posted 17/02/2019 at 12:43:55
Why do you remain a Blue?

That's like saying why do you breathe, why do you get up in the morning, why do you do anything?

My Mrs asked me some years ago, "Why do you keep going if it ruins your weekend 'sometimes'? (better days then) "Why don't you just stop?"

I told her (seriously), "Well, you know how I got divorced from my first wife and met you and fell in love with you and got married to you?"

"Yes," she said.

"Well, that shows that I could fall out of love with one woman and fall in love with another doesn't it?"

"Yes," she said again.

"Well, I could never love another club like I love Everton, could never change teams, could never let them go."

Took her a while before she thought about it and got thoroughly pissed off with me but she did, and still is tbh.

There is definitely truth in the words: "Those that know need no explanation."

Jim Bennings
13 Posted 17/02/2019 at 13:40:11
Lord knows, mate, I've asked myself a similar question many a time over the years.

After the rollercoaster of the 1990's the highs and lows of relegation scraps to winning the FA Cup in '95, to having idols like Big Dunc and Kanchelskis to the Dogs of War, a proud record in the Merseyside derby, the last 10 years or so has all become a bit boring and predictable.

What we need badly at this club is a bit of surprise element once again.

We ain't going to win the Champions League or the Premier League title so, if we must finish in mediocre positions, how about a couple of shock wins (away to the big six, or actually just a derby win springs to mind)???

Everton fans need a feelgood factor again.

Dave Ganley
14 Posted 17/02/2019 at 15:14:43
It's a way of life, once you become an Everton fan, or a fan of any football club I guess, you can't not be a fan again. In the late 70s it was even harder to be an Everton fan given how dominant the RS were but there's no going back. I was the only kid In our class at school who supported Everton and the stick I got was unmerciful but once you're a blue that's it. It doesn't make any sense I guess but when you win a trophy or big games it just all makes it all worthwhile.

We go back week after week because, well I'm not sure whether it's in hope, blind loyalty, habit, whatever it is it just gets in your blood and you can't shake it. Blue for life so you just have to accept it and hope it all comes together once in a while and you win something.

Dave Abrahams
15 Posted 17/02/2019 at 15:30:09
Some great answers on this post, mine is the same as some of the above, I loved football, chose Everton, could never even think about changing to any other club, so it’s love and loyalty, to the end.
Duncan McDine
16 Posted 17/02/2019 at 15:42:13
It’s my Dad’s fault... and I’m inflicting the same curse on my kids!
Ray Said
17 Posted 17/02/2019 at 15:56:16
Brian Williams (#12), great comment.

I have an emotional link to this club that is in the blood. I can rationalise it with various factors that influenced me but that would be half the truth. Like Brian, I fell in love with EFC and will never shake it, god help me.

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

18 Posted 17/02/2019 at 16:08:13
I don't understand the question:

Is it emotionally, biologically, psychologically, physically, scientifically, possible to change your support of a sports team?

If so, it is a concept beyond my understanding and capacity.

Brent Stephens
19 Posted 17/02/2019 at 16:36:49
Brian #12 a superbly subtle way of telling your missus you love Everton more than you love her!

And so on to the old quip "...I love Liverpool more than I love you".

Tony Hill
20 Posted 17/02/2019 at 17:14:09
In your marrow, Jay Wood has it right. Despite all the grief, despite the rows we have on here, there is no conceivable alternative. It's the one thing that endures when other things, even very personal things, fail us.

My grandfather was born in 1874 and saw the 1906 boys bringing it back, my late father was born in 1925; they saw all the great early moments. But I feel a deep kindred with anyone who supports this club from whatever age, for however long and wherever they are.

Every supporter of every club feels sort of the same; but we're different, we just are, because we were there at the start, and we have distinguished ourselves for reasons we all know but which cannot be simply set out. It's enough that we know.

All of that said, we're shite at the moment. Let's sort it out, if you don't mind.

Dave Lynch
21 Posted 17/02/2019 at 17:21:48
Because it is an integral part of my identity. My very being, my existence, my passion for something in life to light my fire.

Other than that... I have no fucking clue.

Dave Williams
22 Posted 17/02/2019 at 17:42:58
It's true love. A relationship of incredible highs, though admittedly not for a while, where I forgive every disappointment, long for when I will see the old lady again, always hope that whenever I go there I will experience the sheer ecstasy of seeing brilliance and victory but if I don't I will forgive until the next time.

If anyone says something against the club I will react in defence of it. I hate critics of the old lady who has aged but is still beautiful to my eyes and I could never turn my back on the club. It's in the blood and can't be helped!

Rob Halligan
23 Posted 17/02/2019 at 17:44:22
But of a stupid question if you ask me. What does Andrew's good friend expect us to do, jump ship and go and support a successful winning team?

I've got two friends who have done just that. One was a blue until 1977 (he'd have been about 16 years old then) when he jumped the good ship Everton and became a RS just because they won the European Cup that year.

Another friend, who was a Wolves fan, even though he was born and bred in Liverpool, suddenly changed about 25 years ago and became a Man Utd fan. To this day, we call him a glory hunter.

I've been a Blue since almost the day I was born. It's ran in our family for generations. Grandparents, me dad, me brothers and now nephews and their kids are blues. You don't stop supporting your team just because times get difficult. It's in the blood and I could never Imagine myself supporting any other club, certainly not the RS.

Imagine the likes of Newcastle, West Ham, Leeds, the two Sheffield clubs, Villa and Forest, the list goes on, all big clubs but with zero success in the last few decades, losing all their fans. Football would die a death.

ONCE A BLUE, ALWAYS A BLUE.

Steve Ferns
24 Posted 17/02/2019 at 17:46:50
I remember going to university, this was at the turn of the century. All the other lads were football fans of other clubs.

“Why did you become an Everton fan?” I was asked.

“I didn't” I said.

“What do you mean? You're a massive Everton fan”

“I am, but I never chose to be so”

“Sorry, you lost me, I don't understand what you mean”

“I never chose to be a fan. I was at my first game at 4, my first cup final at 5 (we won). I had an Everton jumper by my first Christmas and my grandmother knitted my first scarf before I was born. There was no choice about it. I was born an Evertonian.”

Incomprehensible to some people. But similar to most of you, especially those from the city.

Why do I remain an Evertonian? For the same reasons. I just am. There's no choice. It's who we are.

Gordon Crawford
25 Posted 17/02/2019 at 17:55:48
For me, it's true love. You don't give up on true love. Everton For Ever. :)
Dermot Byrne
26 Posted 17/02/2019 at 17:56:07
No choice, otherwise. I would be a right numpty.
Gordon Crawford
27 Posted 17/02/2019 at 18:12:56
Love how forever became two words; thanks, Apple.
Tony Abrahams
28 Posted 17/02/2019 at 20:58:00
Just been on YouTube and ended up watching a tribute to Andy King, which was a highlights re-run of the one-nil win against Liverpool, after 7 years bad luck.

Goodison was bouncing, and I hope it's bouncing the same way a fortnight today, because although it can be hard being a blue at times, the fans and the Old Lady deserve a special occasion – it's why we keep coming back for more?

Paul Jones
29 Posted 17/02/2019 at 21:12:10
Because I'm too much of a wimp to self-harm... 😉
Laurie Hartley
30 Posted 17/02/2019 at 21:39:48
For me, it is an emotional bond created by my dad which can never be broken.

We are in a corner just now – we have to fight our way out of it.

When we do we will be great again – and boy will we give it to them.

Mike Allison
31 Posted 17/02/2019 at 21:53:07
The question simply doesn't arise.

I understand that the words make sense in the English language but the concept of the question doesn't. To ask it is to assume or imply something that isn't the case. To ask it is to completely misunderstand what being a football fan is.

There seem to be a few Evertonians struggling with the same thing at the moment.

Darryl Ritchie
32 Posted 17/02/2019 at 21:55:10
About eight years ago, I happened to cross paths with a couple of lifelong, cardcarrying Evertonians. Until then, I hadn't followed the premier league, or any football for that matter, very closely. I didn't know Everton existed. They were so passionate, I figured I'd better check it out.

After a bit of research, it just felt right. Since then, the club has become an obsession. Admittedly a bit of a soap opera, with more downs than ups lately, but an addiction than I don't want to kick.

Stan Schofield
33 Posted 18/02/2019 at 09:10:05
It's not a meaningful question, because it implies you have a choice, but you don't. Once it's in your blood, that is it.

I remember getting told off in school as a teenager. I was filling in a form, can't remember what is was for, and it asked for my religion. I just wrote Everton.

When I was about 14, I believed that Alan Ball was a god. Fifty years later, I still think of him that way, instinctively, despite the fact that I'm a supposedly rational adult.

Laurie @30 also captures something very important. My dad took me to the match when I was 7, when we had that great team with Alex Young. Being Evertonian has been a major bond between my dad and me, and remains so even though we seldom attend matches these days.

Paul Birmingham
34 Posted 18/02/2019 at 13:44:12
It’s in the DNA, and is irreversible. From my Dad, and his forefathers.
Proud, happy, sad, angry, crazy, optimism eternal and for me the Best feeling is being an Evertonian, through, thick and thin, and very hard times and Bounce back ability.
Ken Kneale
35 Posted 18/02/2019 at 16:48:23
Stan. I think you mentioned on another thread how around that time we were not the underdogs as sadly most young supporters and the uneducated now suppose was always the default.

My years at school as the Ball - Kendall - Harvey team matured were heaven for a young fan.

Imagine the TV exposure that side would have gained for Everton nowadays in comparison to Harry's Cold War with the TV and print media. Great memories to sustain us I guess anyway. What would we give for a Kendall now? It would make the other post about us selling to PSG irrelevant.

James Marshall
36 Posted 18/02/2019 at 17:03:31
Because we have no choice. Nobody changes teams, it's not the NFL and we're stuck with them.

Believe me, I wish I supported Man City sometimes but I don't, I support Everton and that's that. We're shit and we know we are, but then so are most teams.

The vast majority of football supporters support a team that wins bugger all, and that's a fact.

Mike Gaynes
37 Posted 18/02/2019 at 17:18:39
Brian #12, if you need to live away for a while, come on over, my friend. We have extra bedrooms.

I don't have the excuse the rest of you do. I was 28 when I looked over every team in England and chose Everton. Pure masochism is the only possible explanation for my sticking it out for 34 more years. Hurt me, baby, hurt me.

It does, however, sometimes happen that people change allegiances. I was born a baseball fan of the Chicago White Sox. I was deeply emotionally invested, watched them every day on TV, had autographs and photos with several of the players. And when I was 10 years old, I watched them choke away a certain league title, just collapse in the final week. Inconsolable.

A boy never forgets his first broken heart. When the next season started, I couldn't forgive the Sox, couldn't even look at them. I switched to the Chicago Cubs, with whom I suffered for decades, and to whom I retain undying allegiance to this day. Peter Mills' grandsons (and several of you) are now the proud owners of Cubs caps that I brought over in December. Same shade of blue as Everton.

Eddie Dunn
38 Posted 18/02/2019 at 18:13:08
When I was an infant, my Dad would take me to the park in Tranmere and we would often say hello to Dixie Dean, who lived round the corner.

I think the 1965 Cup Final on telly was my earliest memory of supporting them.

Stan Schofield
39 Posted 18/02/2019 at 19:01:54
Ken @35: At that time I considered that being an Evertonian was mega-cool, to use current-day terminology. We had truly great players, the equivalent of today's Man City, and played really fantastic football in a great stadium, relative to which Anfield was an overblown sardine can inhabited by a team of cross-country runners.

The England side in 1970 could have had half a dozen of our players, and Westy would have been the goalie if he hadn't declined the World Cup.

Jay Harris
40 Posted 18/02/2019 at 19:05:32
Andrew,

It's a good question that I've never asked myself but it has got to be in the DNA.

My dad, mother, uncle, grandad and all supported Everton till the day they died, hardly missing a match.

It became a total way of life through the highs and the lows but always first priority, even before family.

f there was a game on and a family event guess which came first.

I feel honoured to be an Evertonian despite the lean times since Kenwright took over and have followed them long enough to know we can turn that corner back to greatness anytime.

Tony Abrahams
41 Posted 18/02/2019 at 19:43:54
David Moyes has come in from 25/1, to 5/4, with a flurry of bets being made on him today. If he got the job, I think the title of this thread will be getting asked over and over again!
Andy Crooks
42 Posted 18/02/2019 at 20:03:39
There are two clear ways to decide if someone you are familiar with, but don't know all that well, is sane or even worryingly scary. The first, most of us know.

It is, of course the third person reference. "Davy's head is in a bad place today", of course one looks around the room praying that there is another Davy present and not the Davy one is talking to.

The second is, "I can't believe I took up with Blackburn; fuck me, I soon regretted that. And, by the way, please do not link me with Chelsea anymore. I've always been a Manchester man, lived there, like to see them both doing well."

I have had both conversations.

Peter Mills
43 Posted 18/02/2019 at 20:31:36
It's a tough question to answer, something I have been pondering about today.

For me, it's just in-built. My grandad. My dad. Me. My son. My grandsons. I've been very lucky; when I become disillusioned, as I have been this season, I look at YouTube and remind myself of the wonderful occasions I have witnessed.

Derek Temple latching onto a loose ball to thump in a winner in 1966. Being in Gwladys Street on a sweaty day when Andy King scored against Liverpool. Inchy's header at Highbury. Trevor Steven stroking home that 3rd goal against Bayern. The sheer joy of Elland Road in 1995. The delirium following the Jags penalty at Wembley. Rooney's goal against Arsenal.

And, just as memorable to me, the moment a new, unknown, friend travelled half-way across the world to watch his first game at Goodison after 32 years of watching from a distance, and saw his first Everton goal after 32 seconds.

This is not to live in the past. It is to live in the present, in the hope of further glorious moments in the future.

Jimmy Hogan
44 Posted 18/02/2019 at 20:54:31
I'm a Blue because Kopites are Gobshites, because I believe in the Royal Blue Mersey, because I know my history, and because I like singing the Blues.

Oh, and because of Alan Ball.

John Burns
45 Posted 18/02/2019 at 21:57:46
I actually hate being an Evertonian. Can't do anything about it though. They let you down 95% of the time. The other 5% of feelgood tends to be spread over a decade. It's just rubbish being an Evertonian.

As David Niven said about Errol Flynn, "There's one thing you can depend on with Errol. He'll always let you down." Ditto Everton.

So how does one stop being an Evertonian? You can't... It's like being stuck in a Dante play. So, every week, I watch the match with my dad and practically every week I promise myself ‘never again‘... I hate being an Evertonian.

Jerome Shields
46 Posted 18/02/2019 at 22:23:31
I recently told someone that I supported Everton. They said ‘Someone has to support them'.
Henry Lloyd
47 Posted 19/02/2019 at 06:40:43
Steve @ 24

Great Answer, and I am the same and it won't ever change!