Memorable Penalties

by   |   25/02/2019  25 Comments  [Jump to last]

Dixie Dean

In 1927, he scored a penalty, his second goal versus Arsenal, to equal George Camsell’s record of 59 goals (for Middlesbrough) from the previous season. The roar from the crowd was heard for miles. My dad was working a couple of miles away and he heard the noise and an even greater noise when Dixie scored again to break the record with 60 goals for the season.

Ephraim ‘Jock’ Dodds

No direction — just boot the ball as hard as possible. In 1947 versus Manchester City, he whacked the ball so hard that it caught Frank Swift in the midriff. The goalie collapsed winded but held on to the ball with his huge hands.

Tommy Clinton

1953 FA Cup semi-final v Bolton Wanderers at Maine Road. Tommy blasted his penalty as hard as he could as he usually did but this time he missed the goal completely. Everton lost 4 – 3.

Bob Latchford

April 1978 second goal v Chelsea was a penalty in a 6–0 rout. This was another blast and Peter Bonnetti had no chance. It came right at the death for Bob to achieve 30 goals in a season and claim the reward offered by a national newspaper. I seem to recall that John Willie Parker had scored 30 goals for the Blues in the 1950s but he did not get a reward.

Over the years, who can we say were Everton’s best penalty takers? In my view, they must be Trevor Steven and Leighton Baines as joint favourites. Baines needs one more to equal Trevor’s record of 30 successful spot kicks.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (25)

Mike Galley
1 Posted 25/02/2019 at 21:56:36
I was at the Chelsea game for Big Bob's penalty. As an 8-year-old blue, he understandably became my idol that day (with apologies to Andy 'is our' King.)

Didn't Dave Unsworth have an almost perfect penalty record for us?

Tony Abrahams
2 Posted 25/02/2019 at 22:10:19
On Sunday at Goodison, Everton are going to get a penalty against their biggest jinxes, and that penalty is going to be awarded by our biggest jinx.

The only problem I’ve got, is whose gonna take the fuckin penalty!

Brian Williams
3 Posted 25/02/2019 at 22:27:35
Lucas Digne for me, Tony!
Anthony Murphy
4 Posted 25/02/2019 at 22:44:23
Graham Stewart v Wimbledon 1994 (most significant ever?)

Kevin Mirallas v WBA 2015 (most memorable for all the wrong reasons?)

Tony Abrahams
5 Posted 25/02/2019 at 22:44:25
Loads of people will say they hate left-footers on penalties, Brian, which is another contradiction when you look at the records of both Baines and Unsworth!

Has Martin Atkinson ever even gave us a free-kick in a dangerous position, though? He fucking hates us, and as much as I try, I don't think this bastard will ever let us cry it in!

Chris Hockenhull
6 Posted 25/02/2019 at 23:27:13
This sticks in my mind for various reasons.

As a 12-year-old in May 68 I sobbed my heart out when we lost to West Brom in the FA Cup final. Much was made of the fact we had beaten them twice that 67/68 season.. notably at the Hawthorns (what a great ground name that is) 6-2 in the March.

Fast forward season 68-69 (a season Colin Harvey is adamant Everton played far better than the following season when we won the title). Alan Ball had made many comments after the cup final regards being totally irked by the fact we'd not done ourselves justice. Basically he was well pissed off by it and was well wired up when we played WBA at Goodison in October 68.

On the Thursday night, my younger brother was quite horribly – in front of my mum – knocked down and was quite near death (he survived) and my two uncles took me to the game whilst my parents were at his bedside at Adler Hey.

From the Gwladys Street, I saw Alan Ball on a one-man mission to avenge the cup final result. One of the most inspirational performances I saw him play. He'd scored two and went again on goal when he was absolutely hammered by a defender and went down. Penalty went the ref.

He was down on the ground for quite a while and eventually got up in quite some pain holding his shoulder. Joe Royle wanted to take the kick but Ball... holding onto his injured shoulder... waved him away and snatched the ball and placed it onto the spot. Still holding his shoulder... ran up and blasted it into the net... and shook a fist toward the Street End.

I knew he'd proved a personal point in a minor way towards avenging the cup final result and we ran out 4-0 winners.

That penalty still obviously sticks on my mind. You know why?... because those were the days when we had a bond with the team and them with us. When we knew they felt the same as us and players stood up to be counted... unlike the spineless flakes of today!!!

Mike Galley
9 Posted 26/02/2019 at 00:19:13
Chris, I've just showed my dad your post and he's gone on a tirade about young blues accepting, if not mediocrity, than certainly an acceptance of second best.

His idol was/is Dave Hickson (he's 76 now, my Dad, not Dave). His favourite ever player was Bally. He enjoyed the '80s and his favourite players from that era where gray, Reid, Ratcliffe and Big Nev.

I can see a pattern, I hope everybody else can.

Peter Gorman
10 Posted 26/02/2019 at 01:23:18
One of the more memorable in recent years would have to be Phil Jagielka in the cup semi-final against Man Utd (if penalty shoot-outs count).
Tony J Williams
11 Posted 26/02/2019 at 02:26:33
John Stones against Buffont in a pre-season friendly. Class
Darren Hind
12 Posted 26/02/2019 at 03:17:53
Ireland v Romania, World Cup shoot out.

Jack Charlton – "Have you decided which corner you're going for, Sheeds?"

Kevin Sheedy – "Na, I'm going to let him dive and smash it over his head boss."

Jack Charlton – "Don't you dare get smart at this stage!"

Bang!

Jack Charlton – "You see, boys, that's how you take a penalty."

They're all good if they go in!

Terry White
13 Posted 26/02/2019 at 15:09:55
12 posts in and nobody has mentioned Roy Vernon! Surely I am not the only one on here old enough to have seen the supreme penalty taker? Although I did see him miss one in a reserve game!
Trevor Powell
14 Posted 26/02/2019 at 22:58:37
I remember a game in the late sixties against Ipswich at home. The halftime score was 1-1, when an innocuous cross into the penalty area was flipped with his palm, basketball style, into the net by Town's wily old fox, Ray Crawford. Everyone was waiting for the foul to be given when inexplicably ref Maurice Fussey awarded a goal! Every player on the pitch was stunned by such an obvious miscarriage of football justice.

Everton roared back and Jimmy Husband equalised. Then to add to the drama, Alan Ball went down for a very soft penalty for the blues to win the match?

Bally stepped up and sent the goalie the wrong way only for the ball to rebound straight back to him off the post. Ball reacted by slamming the ball into the goal and then looked shocked when it was not awarded. Perhaps, the excitement of the moment caused him to forget the rule about not being able to play the ball again. So, it finished 2-2 and there was a feeling that Fussey had given this soft penalty hoping that two wrongs would put his earlier decision right!

A spot of bother on the Mersey penalty scene

Peter Mills
15 Posted 26/02/2019 at 23:07:24
If penalty shoot-outs count, I’ll throw in Phil Neville’s at Chelsea.

To counter Darren’s “Sheedy smash”, I’ll offer Johnny Morrisey’s effort at Old Trafford in the FA Cup semi-final in 1968, which took an eternity to bobble past Gary Sprake.

David Hamilton
16 Posted 27/02/2019 at 02:30:19
First I can remember was Roy Vernon sending Gaskell the wrong way in the 1963 Charity Shield. A 4-0 win. Two weeks later, we lost 5-1 at Old Trafford, then won the return league match, 4-0 again. Odd stuff.
Dave Abrahams
17 Posted 27/02/2019 at 19:29:29
Re Tommy Clinton's miss in the 1953 semi-final at Maine Road, Tommy's shot was well wide and we thought it wouldn't make any difference because we were 4-0 down at the time, just before half time, but three second-half goals from Parker( 2) and Peter Farrell put a different perspective on the result.

As Terry White says Roy Vernon has to be in contention as Everton's best penalty taker with Unsworth and Baines, one of the worst penalties was Duncan McKenzie's in the second leg of the League Cup Final at Burnden Park, a very half-hearted effort, good job we won the tie.

Dave Abrahams
18 Posted 27/02/2019 at 19:31:54
That should be semi final at Burnden Park @ 17.
Paul Tran
19 Posted 27/02/2019 at 19:56:08
Dave, was that the one when he dummied and smacked it over the bar? One of my first Everton, that moments!
Dave Abrahams
20 Posted 27/02/2019 at 21:48:21
Paul (19), No if my memory serves me right, it was a weak, very weak shot lowdown just to the goallie's left, I've seen stronger backpasses, I think the 'keeper had time to put his ciggy out before he saved it.
Tony Heron
22 Posted 06/03/2019 at 08:55:14
Only just come across this article. Terry @13. I was thinking exactly the same! Royston was undoubtedly the best penalty taker I've ever seen. I too was at that reserve game when he actually missed one. If memory serves, it was against Burnley; their goalie's name was Thomson, who saved it, and he was a cousin of Alex Young!!
Brian Wilkinson
23 Posted 06/03/2019 at 17:00:27
David Unsworth was a decent penalty taker, but would put Baines top of the list.

Ferguson’s last game for us against West Brom,the goalie saved it but Ferguson charging towards him was a no contest for the rebound, for Dunc to get his farewell goal.

Stephen Brown
24 Posted 06/03/2019 at 17:06:49
Jagielka in semi final v Man Utd in 2009 was a cracker
Peter Roberts
25 Posted 01/04/2019 at 21:35:33
I think Unsies record is 22/23. The only one he missed (that I recall) was against Sheffield Wednesday around 1996 and even then he gave it his usual thump. Hit the crossbar so hard it nearly rebounded to the halfway line!
Paul Hughes
26 Posted 10/04/2019 at 12:19:09
Peter (25), Yes I also remember the one from Unsie that smacked the bar. I'd have him as my favourite taker. He didn't just blast them, but because he could, keepers often went too early, and he'd place it into the other corner. Class.
Phil (Kelsall) Roberts
27 Posted 10/04/2019 at 12:49:46
Yes the 68 semi final against Leeds at OT. Bally was banned and Tommy Jackson played. When we got the pen* up stepped Johnny Morrisey. I watched through the stitches of my bobble hat.

* Can't remember the lead up but Sprake was out of goal and the ball was lobbed back to the empty net and Jack Charlton jumped up and caught it as it went over his head. Not sure he was even booked, let alone thinking about a Red card in those days. No film of that but here is the goal.

The other one was Sandy Brown in the 1970-71 penalty shootout with Borussia Mönchengladbach. Joe Royle missed the first, then we tied it up at 1-1. Howey took the 4th and it was Sandy to take the 5th. He thumped into the back of the net, walked past the goalie, picked up the ball and gave it to the German player with a "Go on, beat that". Andy Rankin saved it and we went through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-9NVX6Csq0 for the highlights with a German Commentary. If you watch it, who was the Everton player who went to console the German penalty taker who missed. The way he walked up to him was not a "gloating" attitude.

Dan Hollingworth
28 Posted 10/04/2019 at 12:54:04
I know this is a thread for Everton players.

But having witnessed Obafemi Martins at the street end a few years back first hand. This will live long in my memory. Think its still going.