The Strange case of Yerry Mina

by   |   19/07/2019  49 Comments  [Jump to last]

With the announcement today by Frank Lampard that he wants Zouma to remain at Chelsea this season, Everton's chances of signing him on a permanent basis seem's to be slipping away.

A shame really, as he had slowly got better and better as the season neared it's end and he secured a promising partnership with the ever improving Michael Keane.

So, what other options do Everton have with the new season shortly upon us?

Normally, with having spent around £23m just before the start of last season on our promising young centre half from Barca, you would expect him to step straight into the team, or would you?

For my money, he still remains something of an enigma, 12 months on and we have yet to see him put a 'run' together in the team.

Can he ever shake off the stigma of almost always being unavailable for selection through a series of injuries?

Is he just plain unlucky or just not physically up to the rigours of the Premiership.

Also, to my knowledge, he is not back training with the first team squad yet (due I presume to his recent international commitments), when really, he should be busting a gut to stake his claim in the Everton first team.

This means something of a dilemma for Brands and Silva, do they give up on Zouma and cast the net elsewhere, or play a waiting game for Zouma and hope the player informs Chelsea at this stage of his career, he wants first team football, and that is currently available at Everton.

Answers on a postcard please.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (49)

Jerome Shields
1 Posted 19/07/2019 at 18:28:19
Mina has been with us a season and if we had have got Zouma he would have not been first choice for his position in the coming season. I wasn't happy about his hamstring injury on International duty after a prolonged recovery period. I don't think he put enough work into his recovery , for a hamstring to go so soon. His slow start to training as you mention shows he is a continued tendency to be work shy. I too have my doubts.
David Pearl
2 Posted 20/07/2019 at 00:14:40
Nah, he needs a run of games. He will be a top player for us this season, if injury free, Awful I’m the final game against Spurs though so needs to keep his concentration levels up.
Si Cooper
3 Posted 20/07/2019 at 02:07:55
"His slow start to training shows a continued tendency to be work shy."

Sorry Jerome, what exactly is your role at EFC? I mean you must work for our coaching staff to have such an insight.

As far as I know none of those who played in the Copa America have reported back yet because they are on officially sanctioned leave. Do any of us know how Yerry Mina is spending his free time?

If you don't know any different, then your post contains a simply ridiculous statement.

With nothing else to go on I am hoping that the reports of the lad's attitude and willingness to integrate will mean we will see a much-improved player when the season starts in a few weeks. I think we still need to recruit a central defender for cover at least but I'm hoping that in the end missing out on recruiting Kurt Zouma (if that is indeed what happens) will be of no consequence.

Mike Gaynes
4 Posted 20/07/2019 at 02:27:11
Well said, Si #3.

I'm on record predicting here that after some torrid days in the first half of the season -- he is after all still quite inexperienced and will make mistakes -- Mina will prove by the New Year to be one of the best young center-backs in the Premier League.

Remember, his very first start for us was at Stamford Bridge. He was brilliant, MotM according to the club site. Shutout. His second was at home against Cardiff, decent performance despite a couple mistakes. Shutout. And his third was at Anfield in the ultimate pressure cooker. He was superb. Shutout until that final Pickford moment.

Pretty impressive for a guy who had barely played over the previous year and a half.

Mina is a big-game player with unshakeable confidence, size, pace and some passing skills. He will step up.

Jerome Shields
5 Posted 20/07/2019 at 05:48:48
Hope you are right guys. We are going to need him to.
Mike Allison
6 Posted 20/07/2019 at 06:58:21
Mina is VERY inexperienced for his age. Apart from one single season as a teenager he’s been significantly injured or not selected for most of his career. He has all the attributes to be an absolutely top centre back, but he simply needs to play.

Having played 1st and 2nd tier football in Colombia as a teenager he’s only made 142 appearances in all competitions in his entire career. 43 of those are in Colombia and not all of them were in the top division. He’s averaging around 20-25 games a season when you’d expect a top centre back to average at least 40.

If we want him to become a player, we need to play him.

Steve Bird
7 Posted 20/07/2019 at 07:03:15
No-one was more visible last season when it came to giving up his time and interacting with fans. His injuries were well documented and stymied his possibilities for a long run in the team. It's never easy to flit in and out of a team and give the best account of yourself.

Kevin Ratcliffe had a similar start to his career, even playing out of position at the start, he didn't do so bad once he got a bit of a consistent run. Mina should be lauded for his team-building efforts in his first season not derided for his poor luck with injuries.

I have high hopes he will be the man.

Sam Hoare
8 Posted 20/07/2019 at 07:26:05
I agree with Mike@4. Except in regards to his pace! Whilst he is quick enough once he gets into his stride his acceleration and lateral movement is average at best and that is what concerns me about a Keane/Mina partnership. Both are a bit slow to turn and sluggish off the mark. Zouma had good acceleration and was able to recover quickly to avert disaster and I think we need that from 1 CB.

But I am excited to see Mina once settled. Powerful, very decent passer and a huge, happy character. As good as Keane has been I believe Zouma and Mina might have been Silva’s preferred partnership in the long term.

Jerome Shields
9 Posted 20/07/2019 at 13:51:32
Sid #3 and Mike #4,

Yes, most of the players in the Copa America deserve a break after a long season, but Mina hasn't consistently played for a year and a half. How tired is the poor lad on his mega wages?

He should be back at Finch Farm training, as stated by Steve.

James Hughes
10 Posted 20/07/2019 at 14:01:55
Jerome, what does his wage have to do with how quick he recovers?

The Copa America finished two weeks ago but he should be back busting a gut.

Glad I don't work for you... anything above minimum wage and I would be in all hours.

Jerome Shields
11 Posted 20/07/2019 at 14:25:54
When he is on mega wages, I would be expecting him to be there and interested.
Phil Greenough
12 Posted 20/07/2019 at 14:38:24
Jerome, expect all you like mate, it won't make it so. Your basis of salary equals effort, means jackshit to him.
Tony Abrahams
13 Posted 20/07/2019 at 14:46:29
He's back on Monday, and I was reading that Mina said although he's on holiday, it doesn't stop him thinking of getting back to Everton, and he's going to give everything to become a success, or words to that effect.

I like him, I think he wasn't helped by injuries or the cold; it is going to be interesting to see how he gets on next season.

David Pearl
14 Posted 20/07/2019 at 14:50:09
Tony, l bet he's itching to get back before we sign another centre-back so he can cement his place. Surely it is his to lose. Another day nearly gone and still no striker.
Tony Abrahams
15 Posted 20/07/2019 at 14:55:53
It's getting late, David, but I'm thinking of the old adage, about all good things coming to those who wait, and honestly think the club know which players that they are going to get.
Alan J Thompson
16 Posted 20/07/2019 at 17:54:21
I'm not overly worried about having two internationals in Keane and Mina playing together but I do wonder who might come in if either are ever injured and given Lewis Gibson seems to have been given a run in Switzerland. Any news on Feeney in Malaga?
Steve Ferns
17 Posted 20/07/2019 at 18:05:21
I agree Tony. Also he was very much a Brands signing, albeit to Silva specifications. I have faith in Brands and I like what I saw from Mina before he came and I think he showed that in flashes. He just needs games.
Mike Gaynes
18 Posted 20/07/2019 at 18:09:47
Sam #8, all big guys are a little slow off the mark. Agreed, at top speed Mina is plenty fast... not world-class pace like Zouma, but more than enough. I saw him catch both Sanchez and Almiron from behind over about 40 yards in the Copa.

Andy Crooks
19 Posted 20/07/2019 at 21:29:41
I think he will be, with some luck with injuries, a really fine player.

Without Zouma, we really need him to get off to a flyer. What really concerns me is the idea of Holgate going on loan. Sometime soon we must give Holgate a run in the side and be tolerant. He, Keane and Mina are, in my view, as good as any.

I think I read on another thread a rumour of Stones on loan. I think it is utter nonsense but it would, for me, be quite brilliant. I like Zouma a lot but he is gone. Holgate is our Woodgate.

Jerome Shields
20 Posted 20/07/2019 at 23:03:40
Philip #12,

Unfortunately you are right.

Tony #15,

Starting on Monday, all is forgiven.

Lee Courtliff
21 Posted 20/07/2019 at 23:21:50
I know this is a bit silly but I took to Mina almost straight away after I heard him using words like "bloke" and "mate".

He just seemed so likeable and eager to do well.

I'm looking forward to seeing him this coming season.

Shane Corcoran
22 Posted 20/07/2019 at 23:37:40
The strange case of Steve's post.
Steve Hogan
23 Posted 21/07/2019 at 11:12:41
Shane (22)

i don't think my 'post' is all that strange to be honest. I am still unsure whether Mina will ever become our regular centre half for years to come.

If he doesn't, then history will prove it was indeed 'strange' to spend a substantial amount of money on a player who has spent most of his time on the sidelines during his tenure here.

I still think his attitude and desire to play in the Premiership is open to question.

Time will tell.

Shane Corcoran
25 Posted 21/07/2019 at 22:12:14
Steve, you could be right, but I think naming your article as you did after one season is indeed a bit strange.
Steve Hogan
26 Posted 22/07/2019 at 08:24:45
Shane (25),

It's all about opinions, I guess.

Jer Kiernan
27 Posted 22/07/2019 at 13:59:59
Like all here, I hope he is a success and cannot fully judge at this early stage (eh hem); however, the bits I have seen of this guy worry me.

In the games he has played, he has looked very rash in his decision making and almost oaf-ish in his play at times and seems to have a very bad habit of crawling all over opponents in the box.

If he does get into our first team regularly (and I still have hope that Kurt will demand first-team football and walk away from Chelsea), I think VAR will have a field day with this guy and I think Kurt has been a big part in the growth of Keane which I doubt will continue with Mina alongside.

If we cannot keep him, we should be looking at replacement of Kurt and why we haven't made Chelsea an offer for him at this stage I cannot understand (at least give them something to thiink about ffs)??

Jay Harris
28 Posted 22/07/2019 at 15:31:35
Jer,
I too have concerns about Mina but even more concerns about Holgate/Kean.

We need to forget about Zouma. I am sure the powers that be have been pushing Chelsea hard but its pointless putting a bid in if Chelsea are saying hes not for sale.

We needed to do like all the other sides do and get his agent on board but realisticly we need to move to plan B.

We have lost Williams (if you call that a loss) JAgs and Zouma. Feeney and Gibson are relatively untested so we need a top class defender.

Jer Kiernan
29 Posted 22/07/2019 at 15:43:12
Hi Jay

You have a point, I agree on Keane as I stated I think Zouma to some degree propped him up this season, And Holegate is unproven, it doesnt inspire, the more I look at it I have to be honest

I don't however have the confidence you do in saying the powers that be have been pushin Chelsea hard ?

From what I can see Lampard has stated he wants to keep him is all that has happend, Cant we just for once be the club who tries to unsettle a player by making a solid bid

I am sure Silva has assured Kurt he would be our first choice should he return, We offer 45-50m and if Kurt makes some dissenting noises then is easier for Chelsea to justify selling, From what I can see we have just expressed an Interest, tame stuff for me

Force them to make a call make the bid (for what we feel he is worth-or just less than) if they say no than fine, I cant help feeling if the shoe was on the other foot Chelsea would be doing whatever it takes to get their man,,( see Barkley saga etc etc!!)

Mike Gaynes
30 Posted 22/07/2019 at 15:46:55
Steve, #23, you think his attitude and desire are open to question?

Really??

Based on what? Or are you just picking that out of the air?

Jamie Sweet
31 Posted 22/07/2019 at 00:19:14
He's back in training now with a big smile on his face.

A big character who seems to get on well with everyone around him. Has all the attributes to be a top centre half and we undoubtedly haven't seen the best of him yet.

But hey, let's knock him for being work shy for taking a bit of time off at the one and only time of year that a professional footballer could possibly take some time off! Un-frickin-believable!

Peter Gorman
32 Posted 23/07/2019 at 00:21:40
He is blatantly a top lad, no idea where this heat is coming from.
Steve Hogan
34 Posted 23/07/2019 at 00:28:52
Mike (30)

Not just me doubting his character looking at some of the comments on here.

I just don't see a player busting a gut to get back training any time soon. Why take additional time off (even if allowed by the club), based on the very few times he appeared for us last season. Can hardly say he had a long hard season with 35 plus games?

I hope I'm proved wrong and he goes onto prove all the doubters wrong. We absolutely need a strong, fit dominating centre half more than ever with the potential loss of Zouma.

I just can't see it happening with this lad.

Don Alexander
35 Posted 23/07/2019 at 00:43:19
Every one of our signings this century has taught me to expect dross, with an occasional pleasant surprise. Hopefully this season, at last, Mina becomes one of the latter. We certainly need him to do so.
Derek Thomas
36 Posted 23/07/2019 at 00:59:20
Unless Gueye signs for PSG and £30M comes in, Delph was our signing, What I do expect is a repeat of last year, if we're lucky a couple of decent try before you buy loans like Gomes and Zouma and a free transfer like Bernard.

As was said before on here, if the window shuts at 5:00pm 8 August; ours won't open until 4:45.

Mike Gaynes
37 Posted 23/07/2019 at 01:35:29
Sorry, Steve #34, but if you're basing your opinion of Mina's attitude on one other unsupported comment, that's pretty weak.

And if you're basing it on his taking a couple of weeks off -- with the club's permission -- after playing six games in less than four weeks in nuclear heat, I think that's off-target.

For the record, he played every minute of those six games, and Colombia did not give up a single goal. Not one. I would suggest you "can't see it happening with this lad" because you didn't see him play at the Copa America.

Because if you had seen him, you would have absolutely no doubts about his attitude or effort.

Jay Harris
38 Posted 23/07/2019 at 04:40:50
Mike,

I wouldn't question his attitude nor work ethic and he appears to be a good influence around the dressing room.

My concern is the lapses in concentration which is a major problem in the Premier League because you will be punished for it.

I get the feeling he is a bit too laid back at times and is not the perfect complement to Keane.

If we don't get Zouma (highly unlikely at this stage) or equivalent and we lose Gueye, I think we will ship shedloads no matter how good Silva is at coaching.

Mike Gaynes
39 Posted 23/07/2019 at 06:56:38
Jay #38, I haven't seen lapses in concentration, just inexperience-related errors in technique. He'll need work on his man-marking, because Colombia mostly plays passive zonal marking, and he does have a tendency to be overeager to the ball at times, which is definitely dangerous in the Prem. (His partner Sanchez had to make the same adjustments.)

For example, when a high ball comes in, he has a tendency to run to the spot where it's going to come down, stop, and then jump up and head the ball. (That's what our man Darren Hind refers to as "running under the cross.") He'll learn that often it's better to wait a couple of beats, then go to where the ball is coming down because you can jump higher and stronger on the move and dominate opponents in the air. Keane happens to be a master of the technique, and Mina will learn.

What impresses me about Mina is the mistakes he doesn't make, despite his inexperience. He doesn't ballwatch and get caught by runners off his back shoulder, as Zouma does. (Zouma did improve dramatically on this flaw during the season, due no doubt to Silva's coaching.) Mina keeps his head on a swivel and instinctively chooses good angles to the ball, and his communication is loud and constant.

I think your prediction is correct, but too pessimistic -- as I said in post #4, we will definitely ship goals through Mina's spot early in the season, but I'm convinced he will learn and improve quickly. And he can give us goals we haven't gotten from the CB spot since Lescott -- he has 6 in 21 for Colombia.

Bill Gienapp
40 Posted 23/07/2019 at 11:49:05
I agree with Mike. I'm surprised at how many people seem resistant to the idea that Mina *is* Zouma's replacement, full-stop. He's a big talent that we spent a lot of money on - why would we be looking to throw 35-40 million at someone else and relegate him to the bench?

I do agree that it would be prudent to bring someone else in as cover - especially given Mina's injury history - but otherwise we have our starting pairing in place.

John Hammond
41 Posted 23/07/2019 at 12:26:20
Let's give him a chance shall we. He's played 15 games for us so far and suffered a couple of injuries which haven't helped. It's not like he's been horrendous for us - he's played very well in some games.

I'd much rather he have a complete break from football for 2 weeks and get some rest and relaxation ready for pre-season training.

James Marshall
42 Posted 23/07/2019 at 12:32:00
Long ranty post about Yerry Mina and his detractors deleted.

I think he'll do alright given a little time & support.

Bobby Thomas
43 Posted 23/07/2019 at 12:44:43
Mina has potential but at 24 - an age when he really should be hitting his stride - thats still all he is. The reality is that he hasn't played any consistent club football for nearly 3 years, appears injury prone (although the lack of football could be compounding that) and is untested as a regular starter in the Premier League. I think this is the one deal where Brands over paid. We doubled Barca's money. I'm yet to hear a convincing argument as to why.

Personally I'd rather we sold him back to Spain, get back most of the £30 million and get someone in that knows the drill and has less question marks against them. But thats not going to happen. He's only had the one injury hit season, so it's only right he gets another go. If it doesn't happen this year though its going to be up there with any of Walsh's fuck ups.

For the money we paid for Mina, I'd rather have Zouma all day long. Same age, 3 seasons of regular Premier League football, rarely injured and is peaking. He's going to be a very good centre back. For me, its a no contest.
However it's clear we're not getting him so we go with Mina.

If he starts the season, he may be up a bit up and down at early on. And the big thing is staying fit. If that happens hopefully he finds a groove. A partnershp of Keane and Mina lacks genuine pace in behind - I know others feel he is quick enough - but I don't fancy him on the turn and would much rather have a genuinely quick centre back in there. Silva likes to play a high line and press. If its Keane and Mina I think we will be vulnerable on the break.

Jerome Shields
44 Posted 23/07/2019 at 13:56:18
Jay #38

When Mina joined Everton I looked up a assessment of him. His main weakness was : 'a tendency to lack concentration at times '. I thought as he got older, more playing time and more experienced he could overcome this.

Of course he hasn't played that much, but concentration does seem to be his main weakness and has caused problems. Its the combination of this and his slow recovery and reinjury that makes me think that he hasn't been putting in the necessary effort to be able consistently p!ay in the First team. That's why I identify with Steve's evident frustration in the article.

I do agree that Gueye will be missed, but with a Centre Back making mistakes, Schneralin will go into his shell again.

The other factor is that time is running short to get the necessary backup in certain positions. Getting a replacement for Gueye is a tall order, as well as adding to the list.

Tom Bowers
45 Posted 23/07/2019 at 14:18:21
Some centre backs can be way too casual at time and that can be very costly. Stones and David Luiz are two others that come to mind but their overall competent displays still put them in the top bracket which also brings me to keepers that are prone to error and are even more costly to teams. Hopefully Mr. Pickford will have a great season for the Blues.
Jay Harris
46 Posted 23/07/2019 at 18:40:59
Mike,
some good points there but the Kean/Mina combination does not fill me with any confidence that we're going in the right direction.
Jerome Shields
47 Posted 23/07/2019 at 23:02:30

The Problem with Keane is he is a confidence player. Partnering Jags made him a nervous wreak and he was poor. . Playing Zouma increased his confidence and he was transformed. A lacking in concentration Mina isn't going to help.

Tony Abrahams
48 Posted 24/07/2019 at 07:47:30
Schneiderlin will go into his shell again!
Simon Jones
49 Posted 25/07/2019 at 09:23:18
Dave Watson had a very average first season, then turned into a legend. Mina came in late last season, had an injury AND had to get used to the pace of the Premier League, before effectively losing his place to Zouma and Keane.

This is his season, boom or bust, it'll be up to him and a bit of luck avoiding injury.

Declan Martin
50 Posted 29/07/2019 at 20:25:33
An enigma waiting to happen.
Eric Myles
51 Posted 30/07/2019 at 20:29:50
And if he does come good there's a buy-back clause in the purchase contract!