From Tony's Seat 2

by   |   19/08/2019  16 Comments  [Jump to last]

Thanks to the kindness of Tony Abrahams, I got another chance to see the Blues live again. It was another wonderful experience. I heard a lot of lads at the ground complaining that we were shite. To me, it was magnificent: the siren, Z-Cars... all of it. When I watch Everton on TV, I can see when we are shite. On the rare occasion that I get to a game, we are never shite. It is just special.

Dave Abrahams and his lovely wife June picked me up and we went to Dave's house for breakfast. We sat in (June's) beautiful garden in the sun and talked about the new stadium, about what the team might be, and other Everton stuff. These are just wonderful people and the welcome the family gave me to the home was beyond words.

June gave us a lift to "The Stuart" in Bedford Road where we met up with Pete Mills and his pals for a few pints. Thanks, Pete.

A stroll to the ground, nervous but walking on air. I was sat behind Dave's grandson, Cameron, a top, top lad. There was a flag provided and, frankly, I would have waved it like a mad excited bastard had not Cameron not quite coolly desparaged it as a kind of Red thing (quite right, Cameron).

After the game, I was suffering a bit from the prolapsed disc so Dave and I got on the bus. Due to road works, the bus inched along and after an hour we were short of the city centre. The bus was driven by a probationary driver so there was an inspector on board. Dave asked that we be let off but it was more than his job was worth and way too dangerous.

Anyway, a girl was going to vomit due to the heat in the bus so they opened the door. Dave seized the opportunity and leapt off with her. I was too slow and the doors shut. I had no clue where I was going so Dave tried to get back on, but the inspector was having none of it. So, the bus edged into the town with Dave walking along side and me seated, exchanging the odd wave.

The night in the Excelsior was pretty special. Derek, John MacFarlane, John Rafferty, Keith and Sam and Neil, Ray and a few lads who joined us. Irish music and too much drink. The fact that Neil and Derek missed their trains kind of shows how it went. Really top guys and great company.

I enjoyed the match, live really does give a different perspective. I think Mina has a real presence. I think we look solid. Richarlison was poor, Calvert-Lewin works so hard. I thought it was a team with loads of potential.

Finally, Kean is going to be a star. I have been lucky enough to see his home debut. He will be magnificent.

Thanks to Dave, June and their family for a great time. Thanks to Michael and Lyndon, without this brilliant site I would never have met these good people.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (16)

Jamie Crowley
1 Posted 19/08/2019 at 00:05:11
A few observations.

Dave walking alongside the bus while you're stuck on it is just hilarious.

The fact Neil and Derek missed their trains is gold. Whenever there's Irish music and too much drink, there's no way on earth it wasn't a great time.

I keep looking for the thread to the Excelsior get together, and can't find it? Can anyone please provide a link so I can read about the evening?

Happy for you Andy. Get that disk healthy. Great piece, thanks for sharing. Great stuff.

And this no one can ever take from you, Andy - you saw, in the flesh, Moise Kean's debut at Goodison. Magic.

Mike Gaynes
2 Posted 20/08/2019 at 05:42:24
Dave, you and your guests don't have much luck with mass transit, do ye?

Dave and I got in a transport van after the derby last December. It got stuck and didn't move for 15 minutes, so we hopped off and walked all the way to Lime Street.

I eventually missed my late night train in London and got stranded en route to Heathrow. Andy, sounds like you had better luck!

Congratulations, my friend, and I'm glad you had fun.

Darren Hind
3 Posted 20/08/2019 at 06:06:21
You sound like a proper Hillman Minx, Dave. Remind me never to get on a plane with you.

You and your family are an absolute credit, not only to this club, but to the city itself.

Well done Andy lad, a great little piece. Hope your back gets better soon.

Peter Mills
4 Posted 20/08/2019 at 06:31:40
Jamie: Scroll to the top of this article. Touch the little magnifying glass symbol in the top right corner. Type ToffeeWeb Excelsior in the search bar. Touch the magnifying glass symbol again, and you will find the article.

Sorry I can’t actually provide you with a link you can just press.

I will spend the day having an occasional chuckle at the thought of Dave walking beside the bus and Crooks sitting waving at him like Lord Shite.

Dave Williams
5 Posted 20/08/2019 at 10:23:14
Well said, Darren. Great gesture from Tony to give up his seat for what is always a very special occasion being the first home game and what a hilarious tale from Andy – priceless stuff!!

It can all get a bit heated at times on ToffeeWeb and it's occasions like this that really warm the heart, seeing guys getting together to welcome one of our own.

Glad you had such a great weekend, Andy, and respect to the Abraham's family – clearly top people!!

David Cash
6 Posted 20/08/2019 at 15:28:04
I intended to get to the Excelsior so I could put a face to some of these great posts. But it was my first home game for years and I spent most of the day bumping into people from the dim and distant past. The day was a joyful one, but it disappeared so quickly.

Good to see a good time was had by all. Hopefully I will get to the next one.

Dave Abrahams
7 Posted 20/08/2019 at 15:54:52
Jamie (1), Jamie you were mentioned at the meeting, some of us think with your fervent passion for the Blues you are a bigger Evertonian than some of us.

Mike (2), a transport van, that's American for taxi. I didn't know until now that you missed your train that night, sorry about that Mike.

Darren (3), yeh, I'm a bit of a jinx with buses and taxis. Going on holiday soon by plane, keep your fingers crossed!!!

Steve Ferns
8 Posted 20/08/2019 at 16:06:35
Spot on, Darren. Having met Dave a couple of times, I can say he is a wonderfully genuine guy who would do anything for anyone. Tony is also a credit to him. Both are knowledgeable Evertonians as well.
David Pearl
9 Posted 20/08/2019 at 16:10:09
Glad you had a good time, Andy, great bus story. If Dave is so quick on his feet and Gbamin doesn't work out, we might have a new Gana.

And Dave, thanks for the translation!

Mike Gaynes
10 Posted 20/08/2019 at 16:18:40
Actually, Dave, I didn't know that van was a taxi -- didn't see the meter. I thought he was a privateer of some kind. No worries about the missed train, however -- had a wonderful time wandering the back streets of London. Met all sorts. Didn't get home until January.
Dave Abrahams
11 Posted 20/08/2019 at 16:44:33
Mike (10), yes it was a taxi, the driver left it up to the lads already in it, to see if we could get in, as you say it was held up to let the crowds disperse before moving on, that’s when we decided to get out and up on our toes to Lime Street.
Derek Knox
12 Posted 21/08/2019 at 10:25:45
Good article, Andy, and so glad you enjoyed your trip over to see the blues, and then later at the Excelsior. It was a good evening on reflection, what it lacked in quantity of numbers was surpassed in quality.

Don't know when the next meeting will be, but am working on it with Dave, or when you will be over again, but hoping it won't be too long. In the meantime, take care, top man!

Paul Tran
13 Posted 22/08/2019 at 15:55:21
Dave nearly jinxed me last year. We were having such a good chat with Steve Ferns that I forgot about the match and just got in for kick off!

Top man, great company.

Steve Ferns
15 Posted 22/08/2019 at 16:12:56
Good times, Paul.
Jay Harris
16 Posted 22/08/2019 at 18:55:52
Great tale, Andy.

I'm so glad you got with proper lads and Evertonians to boot.

I'm out in Florida now and only get over once a year if I am lucky so I have to get my fix on ToffeeWeb.

I am really looking forward to Bramley-Moore Dock, if I live that long, and would hope we can get a ToffeeWeb mob together for the "Royal Blue opening".

Billy Bradshaw
18 Posted 22/08/2019 at 19:45:03
Jay @16, I, like you, am looking forward to the opening of Bramley-Moore Dock.

But, reading Paul the Esk's article and thoughts on Bramley-Moore Dock, I don't think he is.