The Pickford Indicator

by   |   31/08/2019  32 Comments  [Jump to last]

I watch a lot of Everton games. Recently, I have noticed differences in Jordan Pickford’s demeanour before games. As the players line up in the tunnel, most look relaxed but focused. For most games, Pickford conforms and he looks attentive. However, in other games, normally against lesser opposition, he looks disengaged and perhaps too confident. Worst is his over-friendliness with the opposition players.

Before this week’s Carabao Cup match against Lincoln City, Pickford was cocky, pally with the opposition, and not concentrating on the game. Within 20 seconds of play, Lincoln City had scored.

Though Pickford could do little to save the shot, the goal was indirectly his fault. His body language filters through to the rest of the defence and that collective nonchalance allowed Lincoln City to score.

In future, I ask you to look at Pickford’s behaviour before the game. Is he twitching around like a naughty schoolboy or is he attentive and focused? Does he joke with the opposition or is he readying himself for the challenge ahead?

Pickford is an experienced player in a key position, the rest of the team look to him for leadership. He ought to set a more focused tone to cut out the lazy defending early on in matches.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (32)

Mike Gaynes
1 Posted 30/08/2019 at 14:46:12
Excuse me, say what??

He was indirectly at fault for the early goal because of (your reading of) his body language and concentration in the tunnel?

Sorry to be blunt, George, but I think this is pure malarkey. Or, as you folks would say, utter bollocks.

You dislike our players chatting with an opponent. Fine, I get it. Personally, I couldn't care less, but if you do, OK.

But this? No. Just no.

James Fletcher
2 Posted 30/08/2019 at 14:56:48
Yeah, if anything I thought Pickford had a good game, stopped a few shots, was generally strong in the air and distributed well particularly late on when Lincoln's legs were tired.

Blaming any of the goals on him is an absolute joke.

Rob Halligan
3 Posted 30/08/2019 at 15:03:45
Bloody hell, I've read some rubbish on this site, but to say Pickford was indirectly at fault for Lincolns first goal just about beats the lot. How,exactly George, was he indirectly at fault?
Stan Schofield
4 Posted 30/08/2019 at 15:12:57
George, there's no harm in being friendly with the opposition. What counts is how you perform on the field of play, and for a professional that should be entirely independent of any courtesies or pleasantries exchanged off the field. Can't really see that Pickford did anything wrong.
Dermot Byrne
5 Posted 30/08/2019 at 15:17:29
George watch the match.

Every player has his own psychological set up.

Some of the very best are laid back before games. Indeed in previous decades some had a ciggy.

I think you may be searching for something that isn't there mate.

If you want every player to stand next to opponents like some kind of fantasy gladiator I think you are best out of management.

Watch Rugby Union.

Decency, talk, handshakes etc but they manage to batter the shit out of eachother for 80 mins.

It is about remembering sometimes if this had become a totally image game and not a sport then what is the point.

May as well support Amazon!

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

6 Posted 30/08/2019 at 15:32:13
TBH I sympathize with you George.

The editors have thrown you under a bus by making your post a standalone topic.

It really should have gone straight to the bin. It really is that nonsensical.

Sorry George!

Brian Williams
7 Posted 30/08/2019 at 15:36:22

George I have to say that Toffeeweb has, for me lately, become a bit of a dirge.

Moaning and negativity by the bucketload and personal arguments one way then the other.

I was getting a bit fed up of it all to be honest.

Then I read you post, submission, admission of madness, whatever you call it, and it made me laugh and realise how entertaining and just downright funny TW can be.

Thanks mate. 🤣

Kieran Kinsella
8 Posted 30/08/2019 at 15:40:26
Bit harsh on George gents. Last season there was quite a lot of talk about Pickford’s hyped up behavior and focus after the Newcie game. I imagine that sowed the seed in George’s mind. That said, George I think you’re over reaching in this instance.
Mike Gaynes
9 Posted 30/08/2019 at 15:47:27
True, Kieran, but that hyper behavior was during the match. And it wasn't about smiling in the tunnel.

Brian, dang it, you're right as usual. I missed the satire completely.

Eddie Dunn
10 Posted 30/08/2019 at 16:16:39
George- if you'd mentioned Pickford's crazy decision to run the length of the pitch to get involved in the Siggi incident then I would have listened to you, but merely displaying certain idiosyncracies in the tunnel is not an offence.
As a goalie myself I have chatted to opponents in the tunnel and found the edge on them by doing so.
Brian Williams
11 Posted 30/08/2019 at 16:34:24
Another laugh worthy story. Mirallas has finally left the building permanently. Wonder how much we had to give Antwerp to take him?
Sam Hoare
12 Posted 30/08/2019 at 16:39:03
We’ve given them nothing Brian. And they’ve given us nothing. Free transfer. Considering he was pretty useful 5 years ago his career has really petered out. Bad decision to give him a new contract.
Michael Connelly
13 Posted 30/08/2019 at 16:47:03
I think you have a point George. If one cog in the machine is overly relaxed and possibly not as focused as he could be, then that could rub off on his team mates and an amount of focus could be lost.
Brian Williams
14 Posted 30/08/2019 at 16:48:49
Sam#12
We've got off lightly :-))
Dave Abrahams
15 Posted 30/08/2019 at 16:48:53
Brian (11) andSam (12),yes free transfer, so it looks like that about another £3M off the wages bill, with the club also in talks to move Bolasie on, not sure if that will be permanent or not.

Joey Barton also claiming that Everton took Fleetwood’s chief scout off them pre season promising to loan them an Everton player in return, Joey saying they thought they had Connolly lined up, but he went to Lincoln instead. Everton denied Joey’s claim.

Jay Harris
16 Posted 30/08/2019 at 16:54:29
I know the editors were looking for more contributors but I don't think this is what they had in mind.

Im afraid you failed the audition,George.

Steve Guy
17 Posted 30/08/2019 at 17:00:14
What a load of rot.
Rob Halligan
18 Posted 30/08/2019 at 17:00:20
I was thinking of starting a thread saying that Oumar Niasse should be nominated for the Ballon D'or, after all he's got a cheery smile and seems a very happy bloke. However, I thought his footballing ability would go against him so decided not to bother.

Have you sobered up yet George?

Mark Brennnan
19 Posted 30/08/2019 at 18:00:03
oh dear, wish I could unread that
George Carroll
20 Posted 30/08/2019 at 19:36:05
Could you make sure Georges surname is highlighted so no body thinks I wrote that nonsense
Des Farren
21 Posted 30/08/2019 at 20:37:15
You're getting a hard time on this thread George.
If you had confined yourself to his animated juvenile and unfocused behaviour in the tunnel minutes before games, you would probably have received some level of agreement.
Then again, he is the England goalkeeper!
Joe McMahon
22 Posted 30/08/2019 at 20:42:23
George is getting some stick here. I would echo what's been said about running the length of the pitch though with the debacle after the goal, he got himself booked. Not sure why Sigurdsson was though.
Darren Hind
23 Posted 30/08/2019 at 21:14:41
Takes all sorts George.

Legend has it that Dixie used to have a swifty on Scottie BEFORE the match.

Around about the Coe/Ovett time We used to be riveted to athletics in our house.
In the very early days. I remember me arl fella shouting "Get in here ! come and have a look at this cheeky bastard" we all raced in and there was this fella lying down having a kip. . on the fucking track !!!
It was the very great Edwin Moses. The Yanks clearly already knew about him by then, but we had no idea at the time that the "cheeky bastard" was about to get up and blow a world class field away.. or that he was going to do it over a hundred times

When asked after the race by a BBC commentator about his preparation, Moses simply replied. "You gorra do whats right for you"

Kevin Prytherch
24 Posted 31/08/2019 at 00:11:18
Strange how George is being called on here for commenting on Pickford behaviour before games and suggesting it could indirectly lead to a poor mentality in defence and this leak goals.

Didn’t Jagielka and Baines get slated for years for being too pally before a game with many posters saying it was no wonder we failed to win anything with their attitude?

Double standards anyone?

Mike Gaynes
25 Posted 31/08/2019 at 00:14:38
Kevin, I thought the allegation was just as ridiculous when directed at Jags and Bainesy. And I was just as derisive.
Tommy Surgenor
26 Posted 31/08/2019 at 00:26:53
I remember the commentators once highlighting the fact that Mo Besic was yawning in the tunnel and how concerned they were about it.

IIRC it was against city and he was MotM that game.

Stan Schofield
27 Posted 31/08/2019 at 08:29:23
Kevin@24: Yes, they did, but at the same time loads of posts said that getting pally wasn't an issue, and that what mattered was what you did on the field of play.

So it would be strange only if you'd identified individual posters being inconsistent on this topic, and if you had then you could direct your comment to those particular individuals.

Peter Warren
28 Posted 31/08/2019 at 08:56:29
Psychology speaking - apparently more of a concern to opposition when relaxed in the tunnel.

That said I remember a LFC player before a derby at Anfield joking in the warm up and Gerrard went mad at him and he said he realised from that moment on, that on derby day total concentration needed and no time for laughs.

As for Pickford I was vocal and annoyed at his antics at both Newcastle and the incident when he was provoked a little after whilst out in Sunderland (many disagreed

with me that the off field incident was anything wrong). Since then, his levels of concentration and calmness have been second to none - I think he’s been such a better keeper, kicking better, no rushes of blood to the head and he appears more mature since both those incidents. There was a silly run and grab of opponent on Wednesday which was unnecessary but hopefully he will just continue to learn.

I think Pickford needs to improve, if possible,(and I don’t see why he can’t) on crosses and if he does, I think we have one of the best keepers in the league.

Dave Williams
29 Posted 31/08/2019 at 10:01:55
Tony Adams said that when Arsenal played us, he and Bould would chat to Duncan during the game asking after his family and being as friendly as possible. Their rationale was that if they kept it friendly he was less likely to become aggressive ( and therefore unplayable). I think Joe Royle said that Norman Hunter was the nicest man you could come across, really nice guy in the tunnel but once the whistle went he became the holy terror we all remember.
There’s nothing wrong with what Jordan did in the tunnel- it’s what happens once the game starts that counts and no one can doubt his passion- it’s there for all to see.
Alan J Thompson
30 Posted 31/08/2019 at 18:15:54
Could be worse, he could do a Gordon West and puke all over the dressing room bucket.
Seb Niemand
31 Posted 03/09/2019 at 21:04:01
Dave @ 29 - I've heard that, or a slight variant, said about Graeme Souness as well. He'd just switch from his usual raging psychopath mode to good natured for about two seconds while he told you the family "We're well, how's by yours?". And then the red mist would descend again.

Jerome Shields
32 Posted 05/09/2019 at 04:57:40
I agree, George, Pickford needs to concentrate on the task at hand.