Morgan Schneiderlin – The Rolls-Royce Player

by   |   16/09/2019  54 Comments  [Jump to last]

Firstly, I wish to make it clear that our poor start is down to a number of reasons. The loss of Gueye and Zouma has clearly made a difference and we are trying to assimilate two new players up top. But there seemed to be an inevitability about the loss to Bournemouth once a certain Frenchman was named in the starting line-up.

I put a lot of emphasis on central midfield having played there at amateur level. For me, despite current trends, you should not have to employ one destroyer and a ball-carrying creative type. Both should be able to alternate with the implicit understanding that one might be superior in one way to the other.

What has happened is that the destroyer becomes brilliant in one section of the field but utterly useless in the final third. This does allow the other one to go and roam.

Okay, fine, I thought millionaires should be more multi-talented, but anyway… what we have ended up with, as yet another Koeman era cock-up, is Morgan Schneiderlin — who, for me, is the worst player I have seen in an Everton shirt for many years.

I am a kind person but when I know he’s a millionaire and is such a limited, bang average player, it makes me weep and call him for what he is. A player in the French leagues (think the Championship without PSG) who was elevated beyond his ability once he reached Manchester United and then us. Memories are a funny thing but some think he shone when he joined us…

Well, from my memory, he did play well… but then got injured and did little much else but bicker with Mirallas before being part of the comedy show that was Allardyce a year later. Once he got dropped, oh look, we improved because the replacements actually went forwards and showed some fight.

At Bournemouth, I thought Fabian Delph was the latest example of having to play with him. He was getting frustrated and could have seen red. We saw similar from Gomes last season because Schneiderlin just vanishes. He doesn’t close down quick enough, he doesn’t pass with emphasis on moving the ball forwards, and he doesn’t cut the ball out in the air – despite being quite tall. Marking space ain’t good enough.

And if you want to know who I want instead? Well, it’s always two of Gomes, Davies or Delph. Schneiderlin has failed under Koeman, Allardyce and now Silva. They might have all picked him, but I would suggest he was the kryptonite for two of them. Let's not let it be three times, please.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (54)

Alan J Thompson
1 Posted 17/09/2019 at 05:43:32
Andre, I couldn't agree more, components of the midfield might have different individual talents but they have to be all things, following up and being part of the attack and tracking back and harrying the opposition when not in possession and marking at set pieces.

I have asked the question before about who in the Holy Trinity was the defensive, holding midfielder and the usual answer is Kendall because people think there had to be one but both Harvey and Kendall covered back when not in possession while Alan Ball, as someone phrased it, pressed upfield in a manner not seen even now even though it was not considered as seriously as it is now.

I tend to believe that Schneiderlin is not particularly bothered as he rarely moves to take a return pass but I have noticed with Davies, in particular, that after venturing forward to support attacks he tends after halftime to restrict himself to that area 10 metres either side of the halfway line and as this is noticeable in other players.

I am of the opinion that is under instruction from Silva and is, in part, to act as cover for both full backs getting forward but mostly just makes us look short of players through the middle. it is also noticeable that the gaps created by both full-backs going forward has been exploited by the opposition which seems to indicate that the defensive, holding midfield theory isn't working and tends to just make us look short of a full team.

Dave Abrahams
2 Posted 17/09/2019 at 11:25:42
Rolls-Royce player...? Well, the tyres will be still as new as when they were put on because they very seldom move.
Frank Wade
3 Posted 17/09/2019 at 13:06:42
I am struggling to understand how we could dominate an away game in the Premier League 59.5% possession with a player described as useless. I watched the game on Sunday and saw Schneiderlin make several good plays, not always getting on the ball, but doing enough to force the opposition player away from the danger area. He is not near the player Gana was, nor will he ever be.
Charles McCann
4 Posted 17/09/2019 at 13:22:32
Totally agree with your post, Andre. I've noticed how little he offers to our team for many months now. Sneiderlinn and Walcott appear to be two that Silva seems to think are great and doesn't seem to be learning from watching their inept performances.

Davies should have played on Sunday. Sneiderlinn should have been shown the door along time ago. Would have much preferred if we had a kept McCarthy.

In centre mid we need players that are not only skilled but also mentally tough and not afraid to look up and make a forward pass. Sneiderlinn appears often to not have the confidence or courage to move things forward, usually taking the easy option of a sideways pass or back to Pickford.

Kevin Prytherch
5 Posted 17/09/2019 at 13:52:35
Schneiderlin is good when we are playing in a way that requires him to hold his position in a compact midfield. He also needs plenty of players around him to cover up for his glaring lack of mobility (as in he just doesn't get around the pitch enough). When this happens he is a very good player as the way he positions himself and recycles possession make it difficult for the opposition.

However:

He does not get around the pitch, so constantly requires at least 2 other midfielders to cover the areas he doesn't bother with

He rarely passes forward, stifling a lot of attacks before they get going.

He rarely breaks into a sprint, instead he does his half-arsed jog alongside someone (this isn't bad on a compact midfield as he doesn't have to sprint).

He can't tackle – he is just a body in the way (again, doesn't show as much in a compact midfield).

Basically, the second we have to chase a game or push forward, he becomes a liability that we can't afford in the current formation, as the wide players push on, Sigurdsson is high up the pitch, Schneiderlin stays in his little square that he doesn't venture out of and we're left with one midfielder trying to cover the rest of the centre of the pitch.

If we played 4-3-3, I think he'd look good in the centre because he wouldn't have to do what he blatantly can't do. Against teams where we play with 4 midfielders instead of 2 wingers he will probably look okay – again because he is afforded the midfield cover around him.

In all other cases – he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team and, if we go a goal down and have to chase a game – he should be the first person off.

He should however, be handy to shore up a midfield to protect a lead as he is very disciplined positionally.

John Raftery
6 Posted 17/09/2019 at 14:05:28
I never thought Schneiderlin shone when he joined us. I thought he was one-paced, overrated, very ordinary and not a patch on the player he was bought to replace, Gareth Barry. Schneiderlin is not however our only problem in midfield.

Gomes is another who lacks pace, looks stylish and draws applause when spraying the ball out to the wings but rarely makes an impact when going forward, which is supposed to be his strong point.

In front of whoever plays in central midfield is Sigurdsson who is another player lacking pace, vastly overrated and too often disappears from the game for long periods. Now that his goals have dried up, he is adding little value up-front or in midfield.

We can only hope Jean-Philippe Gbamin is the player to replace Gueye. Until he recovers from his injury, it looks as if we will continue to struggle in midfield which is at the root of our inability to control possession in attack and win matches.

Sam Hoare
7 Posted 17/09/2019 at 14:25:23
To have Gomes, Schneiderlin and Sigurdsson as our central midfield 3 is to have the slowest midfield in the league. No wonder we have looked vulnerable to the counter-attack in the last few games.

Schneiderlin looked decent at the end of last season alongside Gueye but we need someone in the middle with some athleticism to cover.

Tony Abrahams
8 Posted 17/09/2019 at 14:34:15
Professional, amateur, or Sunday football, doesn't matter, Andre, you have described Snides, exactly how I see him every time I watch him play, and for Silva to keep picking him, is nothing short of criminal.

Or maybe because Silva played fullback, he just loved midfielders who kept it simple and kept giving him the ball?

Duncan McDine
9 Posted 17/09/2019 at 15:12:17
Couldn't agree more. While he doesn't necessarily make glaring mistakes, he may as well not be on the pitch. A complete waste of space who reminds me of the equally absent Tobias Linderoth. He hides for 90 minutes and tbh if I was Tom Davies I'd be going apeshit.

Silva – what the hell are you thinking?

James Hughes
10 Posted 17/09/2019 at 15:12:20
Personally, I couldn't and wouldn't label Schneiderlin as a Rolls-Royce player.

More of a Ford Ka: functional without doing anything impressive.

Kieran Kinsella
11 Posted 17/09/2019 at 15:17:21
People defend Schneiderlin, saying “He didn't do anything wrong” but he doesn't do anything except play the safe passes and avoid responsibility.

Him and Sigurdsson both have developed the skill of jogging about without participating in the game. Top six sides would never accommodate such passengers

John Pierce
12 Posted 17/09/2019 at 16:23:19
Schneiderlin doesn't give enough full stop. Doesn't get forward, doesn't work hard enough off the ball. See his desperate lunge on King before Richarlison's yellow leading to the second goal.

Rather than channel the player to allow others to funnel in behind he committed and exposed us. He doesn't give enough on the ball, his tempo is slow and he lacks urgency.

He should get nowhere near the team, so much so, either others should be given a chance or the formation should be changed.

He drains energy from the team. Ultimately the manager picks him, like Schniederlin himself, it's too conservative.

Ajay Gopal
13 Posted 17/09/2019 at 17:22:34
We need high energy players in the midfield, and for the next game would like to see Schneiderlin and Sigurdsson make way for Gomes and Davies. Delph, Gomes and Davies have enough energy, running and passing ability between the 3 of them to make a difference. Schneiderlin does have a role – to protect a 2 goal lead in the last 10 minutes maybe.
Mike Kehoe
14 Posted 18/09/2019 at 07:55:54
Dreadful player, like an energy vampire who thrives off the disappointed groans from fans as another opportunity to attack is killed by a stale and morbid sideways pass. He should have been fucked right off long ago, a horrible attitude that can only be toxic and disturbing in the dressing room.

The absolute nadir of this club was the Allardyce episode, the heavy heartless defeats and the CBA attitude he couldn't even be arsed trying to hide: I had to get up an hour earlier to fit all the hatred for Allardyce, Sammy Lee and Schneiderlin into my day.

Gobshite, get rid soon as. Indifference, for me, is a much worse offence than a lack of ability: Schneiderlin screams indifference.

Davies must be given a try and different formations explored. It seems we have a number of players who can do half a job, Schniederlin can perform in a tight midfield where excessive movement isn't required and Calvert-Lewin has elements that can be developed but isn't a natural finisher. I would have thought that adapting the team to maximise potential would be a critical feature of management. Silva seems to be confused as he grumpily continues to clumsily ram square pegs at triangular holes.

Jim Harrison
15 Posted 18/09/2019 at 12:50:19
He isn't performing to the level we need at the moment, but this seems to be scapegoating. To lay the blame at his feet solely?

And I don't think that Davies is the answer. He hasn't been to date, so how does he suddenly justify this faith?

Shit happens. Two players who should have been on the pitch ahead of Morgan were not. Our 4th choice centre mid isn't brilliant? Go figure.

I don't mean this as a defence of him, or to promote him, just a recognition that he was only playing because Gbamin and Gomes were injured. But the rest of the team were virtually the best for their positions that we have!!

It was just a bang average performance, against a team that played to the best of their ability on the day.

There were so many errors, and more criminal than anything Morgan did was the cheap concession of possession in the final 3rd by the more attacking players, leaving the centre up against it time and again.

Get over it. With a full squad, he doesn't play.

Peter Neilson
16 Posted 18/09/2019 at 13:15:17
I don't rate Morgan but he is acting as something of a lightning rod here. Keane and Mina are the first choice centre-halves and they were a complete shambles.
Drew O'Neall
17 Posted 18/09/2019 at 13:44:09
He’s like an old boy you’ve pulled out of the bar to play for your Sunday team who knows his knees are shot so he doesn’t leave the D.

I wonder if he can play centre half.

Dennis Stevens
18 Posted 18/09/2019 at 14:06:10
I thought Silva's preference was to play 4-3-3. If so, surely the 3-man midfield from our current squad would have to be Delph, Gomes & Davies, no?
James Flynn
19 Posted 18/09/2019 at 14:26:30
He's not going anywhere. One more season after this one at a wage no other club will pay. It's not until the end of next season that we can complete a clearing out of the dross Brands inherited.

And in his fourth season up with the Club, Davies must have not improved a jot if he cannot get games ahead of this guy.

Tony Everan
20 Posted 18/09/2019 at 15:01:45
More Roy's Rolls than Rolls-Royce.

I think he has been trying a bit harder but the fact is he just isn't good enough. We don't seem to play well when he starts. Especially as part of the ever-dreaded 2-man defensive midfield unit.

David Pearl
21 Posted 18/09/2019 at 15:07:37
Well, l see a player who is always in the right spot so he doesn't have to chase about to catch the eye. He always shows for the ball and will switch the play well if he has an out ball. If he doesn't then he will play it safe. What's wrong with that?

People see through him because they want him to fail, then are ready to jump on the bandwagon at any stray pass. The trouble is the shape of the team.

And please can we stop saying that Silva prefers 4-3-3 when he has, to my memory, not played this formation even once. Silva won't push Siggy back into a midfield 3 because he doesn't know how to reshape the 2 wide players to track back because we'd then leave our striker isolated.

We have the players, now we need a manager that can get the best out of them. We have goal scorers in our squad, we have players that can keep the ball, pass the ball... but they need better direction.

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

22 Posted 18/09/2019 at 15:22:32
I seem to always have a contrarian view about Morgan to the majority!

When he first arrived, I didn't see the playmaker others claimed him to be. Rather, I was alarmed how careless he was in possession around our own penalty area as well as missing out on tackles with his tendency to slide in rather than remain stood up, which led to us conceding goals.

It was my contention that, in trying to accommodate both Morgan and Gana Gueye in the same side ,we undermined the effectiveness of both of them, the way they were being asked to play.

He then went completely AWOL in the Koeman-Unsworth-Allardyce season, with the possible mitigating circumstances that he had to deal with the death of his father. Then under Silva he started the manager's first season really well I thought before picking up an injury.

On his return to the side at the back end of this season and in his games this season he really hasn't been the poorest of our midfielders, contributing more than others who are being praised.

Again on Sunday, he was not the worst of our midfield. Sigurdsson was anonymous. Delph – whilst angry and shouty – was as bad against Bournemouth as he was good against Wolves... and yet some believe he should be promoted to be skip. Go figure.

Slightly off topic, I see John Stones today picked up an injury in training and, like Laport, is out long term leaving City with only one recognized centre back in the (sometimes dodgy) Otamendi. Gives us a sniff of a chance when we play them in a couple of weeks...?

Jay Harris
23 Posted 18/09/2019 at 15:48:03
Although I'm not a fan of Schneiderlin, you can't make him the scapegoat for Kean's lack of concentration, Delph;s judgement error in sticking his left foot out instead of his right and Mina and Keane getting caught too far up the pitch.

Contrary to what people choose to see, Schneiderlin has pushed forward and sprayed some really nice passes around the pitch.

So, instead of looking to make Schneiderlin (and Sigurdsson) the scapegoats, let's look at who is really at fault.

Silva has never been able to break down solid defences and this leaves us prone to the counterattack and if we go a goal down we find it difficult to get back in the game.

It is the tactics and the inflexibility of the tactics that are giving us these problems, compounded by the fact we don't have a prolific finisher, and Gbamin is out injured.

Paul A Smith
24 Posted 18/09/2019 at 15:51:15
This was one signing that really got me worried about Evertonians and I think it's continued. We have definitely forgotten what levels of football are.

I was shocked when we thought Man Utd had sold us a top player. I was even more shocked some believed they sold us a "Rolls Royce" of a player.

Kanchelskis was the last time they sold us a top player and he caused a stir to get his move away.

Social media had stolen billions of brain cells and people are just happy to embrace cool or popular opinion.

It's happened again this summer. Gomes is way over-hyped and plays about 28 games a season tops, Kean is a kid that needs loads of time, which I believe he should get, but to be screaming he should be in the team now is absolute nonsense.

Andrew James
25 Posted 18/09/2019 at 16:43:39
I understand my post might be accused of being scapegoating and I accept there are other problems like not replacing Lukaku, Zouma and injuries.

I also accept that our coach has made mistakes by tinkering when it isn't necessary. Bernard seems to be unlucky on that front.

Yet during other periods under different coaches, the player I have highlighted was a hindrance for our shape and trying to break sides down. This has not gone away.

Paul @24 – a lot of what you say chimes with me. When we bought Schneiderlin I hoped for the best but did worry Utd had just found a new and innovative way of flogging us their squad players. With Kean, I was a little surprised by everybody immediately making him an automatic starter and dumping Calvert-Lewin. If you forget the hype and the media and look at his stats, I struggle to reconcile the two. The media have used his exclusion at the weekend as a rod to beat us with because people were outraged plucky old Everton should sign the next big striking sensation.

He excites me but to think his signing is the silver bullet we need is optimistic, to put it mildly.

Tom Bowers
26 Posted 18/09/2019 at 17:05:41
It's obvious much is going wrong and maybe after 5 games we should relax a little after having lost to Villa and Bournemouth. Also the game at Palace should have been 3 points.

I suppose it's not easy to relax as we have all become so frustrated judging by the many varying comments made since Sunday. Everton seem to have a way of not tightening up when they have a real chance of winning or at least getting a point.

As I have pointed out and may others have to the problem is the covering and tackling so we all pile on the defensive players and that is understandable.

There is also the question of attitude and commitment that seems to be lacking when other so-called lesser teams with ''no-name'' players seem to have in abundance, like Bournemouth and Norwich.

Okay so these teams are likely to still finish below Everton (we hope) but when they play Everton they show more energy and Sheffield Utd will probably be a test in that department come Saturday.A lot comes back to the manager and what motivation he can instill in the team he picks but so far Silva has not impressed me.

I do hope the alarm bells are ringing in his ears right now because the performances against the first five teams they have played and Lincoln have been unacceptable despite 2 wins.

Danny Broderick
27 Posted 18/09/2019 at 18:50:07
Does anyone know what our win ratio is like with and without Schneiderlin in the team? I suspect we do better statistically without him in the team, but it would be good to confirm...
Ed Fitzgerald
28 Posted 18/09/2019 at 19:34:09
He is like David McCallum AKA the invisible man – you don't know he is even there. Not only does contribute very little but his unwillingness to take a scintilla of responsibility places more pressure on others in midfield and in defence.
Niall McIlhone
29 Posted 18/09/2019 at 20:31:20
To me, Schneiderlin would have wallowed happily in Man Utd's pool of also-rans, hardly playing but happy to take his mega wages. Then Everton came along and he's basically tossed it off ever since.

As other posters have observed, he is ok, but only in a very limited role and with a need for back up – the loss of Gueye has shown up his limitations – we will never aspire to a higher placing with passengers like him.

In response to Jay at 22, agree with some of your points other than the fact that I think he hasn't been given undue criticism, he simply never influences games, always happy just to do bits of recycling possession, and doing so in a way in which he very rarely engenders serious attacking play For me, Jimmy McCarthy offered far more in terms of getting us forward and was infinitely more mobile and influential; sadly, injury did for him.

Also, and I accept this is a bit off the subject, losing Zouma reminds me so much of the loss of the imperious Sylvain Distin.

Annika Herbert
30 Posted 18/09/2019 at 20:46:59
Kieran @11, your comment nailed it for me!
Paul A Smith
31 Posted 18/09/2019 at 20:47:54
Andrew @25, that's true mate, I'm all for signing talent and I don't want this to be taken the wrong way by anyone.

Nobody could wholeheartedly say they know Kean is ahead of DCL. We all thought it and I watched Kean for Juve so I saw a bit of his talent.

The lad has got it tough now and a lot to learn in a pressure game, I thought a good wise head up front was more of a priority?

As fans (and going back to Schneiderlin), United were finishing outside the top 4 when we signed him. We have to ask, should our targets help the teams around us?

You should never buy your rivals outcasts as a rule unless its a Kanchelskis case and a real talent has to be sold by them.

Not only that, you definitely don't sell them your best asset a year later if you want to be better than them.

I feel that as a fan who wants us to be the best, it's not wrong to ask these questions of transfers?

Bill Gall
32 Posted 18/09/2019 at 21:07:39
Terrible headline; who doesn't want a Rolls-Royce? It has everything: speed, reliability, comfort, endurance, admiration and a great finish.

The reason I said that about the headline, is that Schniederlin has none of the qualities mentioned. He is slow, cant chase back, supporters definitely don't admire him and cant finish with a goal and is lucky to finish a game and is not comfortable under pressure.

Jamie Crowley
33 Posted 18/09/2019 at 21:18:36
I remember last year before playing the derby in December, just about everyone was excited for a victory. One of the main reasons was our midfield was seen as superior to Liverpool's.

Our midfield three was Gomes, Gana, and Sigurdsson.

That game I thought our midfield was magnificent. We played a great game, only for the nightmare, odd finish to the match.

We need to replicate that midfield as much as possible without Gueye here any longer.

You don't do that by playing Morgan Scheiderlin. He completely changes the complexion of our midfield. Gbamin is the "New Gueye", and from what I saw in his limited appearances, I really liked the kid. He has massive potential.

Without Gbamin available, the obvious choice is Tom Davies. He's got a massive engine, and he's not shy at all about putting in a tackle.

How Marco Silva sees Schneiderlin as the obvious replacement to Gueye in this season's team, is just beyond me.

I've said it before, but were I Tom Davies, I'd turn in my transfer request in January. If you're seen as subpar to Morgan Schneiderlin in your manager's eyes, there's simply no future for you at the Club.

Our midfield with Schneids in the lineup isn't even in the same league as the midfield we played against the rs last December. It's like comparing a league one midfield to Manchester City. Morgan Scheiderlin changes us for the worse that much.

LONG POST! Sorry.

Saying that, Morgan has not played that poorly. He gets absolutely crucified on these pages. He's not a poor footballer.

But he doesn't complement or fit into our midfield in the least.

There's a place for him in football. It's not with Everton.

And Tom Davies should be certifiably pissed he can't get a game. It's a joke.

Rob Dolby
34 Posted 18/09/2019 at 21:27:39
I think that Schneiderlin has deserved his place in the team. He played well alongside Gueye after Gomes got injured.

The manager sends players out to perform certain roles on the pitch. It's pretty obvious Silva likes to move the ball out wide and take little risks down the middle. Schneiderlin fits the bill for that role.

He was bought as a holding midfielder not a box-to-box, all-action central midfielder.

Andy Crooks
35 Posted 18/09/2019 at 21:55:34
Jay, I just love the way you, gently, get your point across, and I have no doubt you know what you are doing.

"Not the worst of our midfield",
"Hasn't been the poorest of our midfielders",
Faint praise indeed, top stuff.

Litotes.

James Flynn
36 Posted 18/09/2019 at 22:14:34
Gueye just had a great game in the Champions League.
Dave Abrahams
37 Posted 18/09/2019 at 22:23:02
On another Everton website, fans were invited to pick their team for Saturday's games Sheffield Unt,

Walcott received no votes as did Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson got four, Calvert-Lewin only one, Seamus and the French full-back shared the votes with 50% each. There were only about 240 voters up to now

Iwobi, Kean and Richarlison received most votes to ply up-front with Delph, Gomes and Davies most votes to play in midfield. Pickford, Digne and Mina were all unanimously picked in their position, Keane received 95%.

Sam Hoare
38 Posted 18/09/2019 at 22:27:23
Gueye was superb tonight for PSG. To think some thought he wasn’t good enough for us!!

He will be extremely hard to replace and is one reason we have lacked some of the control we had in the last third of the season. Gbamin is the heir apparent and it’s a shame about his injury.

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

39 Posted 18/09/2019 at 22:45:01
Andy lad, I confuse myself with my thoughts about Morgan!

Your post has made me reflect even more and on balance, I think it is extremely damning of our entire midfield that I genuinely think Schneiderlin hasn't been the poorest or worst of our 'engine room' [cough] this season, nor when he played the back end of last season.

It's also interesting to read Sam reporting on Gana's performance for PSG tonight (I didn't tune into to Champions League games until now. I was busy watching two lowly local sides battling it out for a place in the semi-finals of a local competition). Now that was a much-maligned player by many last season who – like taking away Lukaku's goals when he left – I rued his departure and the hole he would leave in our team. So it is proving.

There is and always was a great deal more to Gana's play than being the headless chicken and tackling machine that some dismissed him as.

Tom Bowers
40 Posted 18/09/2019 at 23:04:26
Generally, managers will start the players getting the biggest paychecks and Tom Davies is not one of them sadly enough. Under another manager at another team he probably starts regularly.

Silva will live and die by his decisions and if he doesn't get on track soon then he's toast.

Jay Harris
41 Posted 18/09/2019 at 23:53:32
We're getting desperate if we're pushing for Tom Davies to start.

I love the lad's energy but he hasn't had a decent game in 2 years –hence why he is not even in the squad on a regular basis.

For all the criticism he takes, Schneiderlin reads he game quite well and, in the absence of Gbamin and Gomes, has to be the preferred option.

We need to sort the tactics and motivation out and the only players who have been consistently poor are Michael Keane and Dominic Calvert-Lewin.

Michael Kenrick
42 Posted 19/09/2019 at 05:19:28
Peter @16: "Keane and Mina were a complete shambles."

Were they really though?

They were caught out by quick thinking from the opposition. They had been moving up to support our advance play down the wing. On one occasion, one occasion only in 90+ minutes, they were caught out.

Does that really make them a complete shambles?

How many other times during the match were they in completely the right positions to negate the attacking moves put forward by The Cherries?

Maybe the corner for the first goal, but I contend there is – for any cross like that — only one location on the field where the ball can be intercepted. Calvert-Lewin's goal the perfect example. If our defender occupies that location, all well and good... If an attacker occupies that location, then not so good.

And the only resort may then be fouling him, which gives away a penalty.

Fran Mitchell
43 Posted 19/09/2019 at 06:48:47
Did anyone see Gana playing against Real Madrid yesterday?

How we didn't fight tooth and nail to keep him, but merely accepted whatever PSG offered and wished him good luck, epitomises our lack of ambition.

Clearly, nights like last night are why Gueye wanted the move.

Also, pity the fools who a) didn't rate him or b) thought he'd be easily replaced.

Jon Harding
44 Posted 19/09/2019 at 09:51:57
Great OP, very timely.

1:03 pm Sunday I check out the team online. Heart sinks. Calvert-Lewin back in (no surprise) and Schneiderlin in for injured Gomes. And I just knew from there what was coming. And so it proved.

Morgan is simply a mercenary. He appears to have no love for Everton, the city of Liverpool or probably England / GB / UK as a whole. And he plays like it. Does he care what the result is? I doubt it. Because at the end of every week, he checks his bank balance and bing! there's another £100k (minus tax I admit). Most footballers hate to be left out; I sense for Morgan it's an inconvenience when he is selected.

By the way, did anyone see him warming up before the Wolves game when he started on the bench? I know I didn't. I watched that game from the Lower Gwladys and it was the first time in ages that all 11 starters to me looked bang up for it, whole-hearted commitment. One change for Bournemouth in such a critical area as central midfield and it all just falls apart.

Schneiderlin is the sort of guy who sucks the energy out of any team in any profession – over-paid, over-played and sadly over here.

Don Alexander
45 Posted 20/09/2019 at 00:18:14
Schneiderlin "the Rolls-Royce" is so knackered, not even Edd China could repair it.
Daniel A Johnson
46 Posted 20/09/2019 at 08:42:04
Every team needs a scapegoat and he's ours.

But also look at:

Gomes: So far, a poor start from him hampered by niggly injuries.

Kean: Ignore the hype, he's a million miles away from being a regular Premier League starter — never mind a regular Premier League goalscorer.

Gbamin: looked way off the pace and now injured.

Delph: Mr Billy Big Vollocks himself, who got his medals riding on the shoulders of giants. But he's a winner, apparently, and can offer players advice such as "Stand next to David Silva and look good". But, outside of being tidy and offering effort, I'm unimpressed.

Calvert-Lewin: The fact we have a Championship-class striker leading our line as the lone striker still beggars belief...

Sigurdsson: Diabolical start from him, biggest disappointment so far this season.

Keane: Has looked shaky at times and looks like the England performance may have shot his confidence to pieces.

Mina: One second, he looks immense; the next, a lumbering liability... the jury is still out.

Coleman: The decline of Seamus, it pains me to say, has continued this season.

Richarlison: Much was expected of him in his 2nd full season but he looks off the pace so far.

To be honest, outside of Pickford and maybe Digne, the whole team has been pretty shite this season. But hey, let's all point the finger at Morgan Schneiderlin.

Doug Harris
47 Posted 20/09/2019 at 21:37:53
Daniel, you have named players that are injured, unfortunately we can't comment on them because they aren't playing. One player named as Schneiderlin is picked as part of a Team and he,s not playing either..

Anyway that's my take on his inclusion and has been for a good few seasons now. I see his name on the team sheet and immediately feel we are starting a match with ten men.

Only my opinion like but he doesn't bring anything to the team in a constructive way.

Weak in the tackle, seems to think pass it back or square and that's my job done, commits himself to a needless tackle whereby the ref blows for a foul and he either gets booked or sent off.

Anyway... Yes, I will continue to (as you say) Point the finger.

Peter Neilson
48 Posted 20/09/2019 at 21:56:58
Michael (#42), Keane was worse than Mina and Mina as yet no better than Funes Mori.

Yep, shambles of a defence last Sunday and they are a major part of it. Keane had a stinker, his passing out was woeful. Hopefully both improve but very shaky at the moment and confirmed by our defensive record over the past few games.

Doug Harris
49 Posted 27/09/2019 at 21:45:49
Not been a post on this thread for a week now...

Looks like the Rolls-Royce is clapped out and heading for the scrap yard.

Jerome Shields
50 Posted 03/10/2019 at 21:49:49
Schnierderlin is a good player and always has been. He has been consistently selected by any Manager that he was under, because he does the job that they want him to do.

When you are given the job of a defending midfielder fulfilling your role is very much dependent on how the team and players adjacent to your position are playing.

If Everton are playing badly Schnierderlin will sit on his position and not take any chances. When you see Schneirderlin on the edge of the opposition penalty area you know Everton are playing well.

Schneirderlin is very much a professional team player and 30, 000 plus fans and posts on ToffeeWeb won't change him.

I did not posted anything because of the title Rolls-Royce players, until I had a closer look. Glad to some posts defend Schneirderlin, with supporting correct facts.

Tony Abrahams
51 Posted 03/10/2019 at 22:18:06
Your second paragraph probably accounts for every position on the pitch Jerome.
Jerome Shields
52 Posted 04/10/2019 at 08:10:28
Tony #51

Your are right, but I was specifically referring to Schnierderlins role and how his moblity is affected as a result.

Tony Abrahams
53 Posted 04/10/2019 at 14:46:16
I look at it another way Jerome, and think this is the position on the pitch that should knit everyone together, and if Schniederlin is just ambling through games, then maybe this is the biggest root of our problems?
Winston Williamson
54 Posted 04/10/2019 at 15:42:03
When you replace half of the spine of your team – Zouma, Gana – with Mina, Morgan, then you lose speed and quality.

Coupled with Sigurdsson, you have a slow center to the team. Whereas, it was quick last season... only one of Sigurdsson and Schneiderlin can play, otherwise we're like a team playing in treacle.